• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder why they cut Jill's AT. My best bet is that she is so irrelevant, they didn't want to create HD textures for her.

I only said that because you once said a certain character (I don't remember who) being a girl was a "plus" for you ^^
I think I usually bring up characters being female as a plus for why they should be included for the sake of diversity or whatever :eek: That and while I don't refuse to play male characters, I don't play them all that often when given the choice.

Yeah, the AT cuts are weird in general. I wonder if they'll ever let slip why some vanished in an interview at some point.

Dr. Buni

All y'all need to stop hating on my boy Bandana/Waddle Dee
Not wanting a character in Smash =/= hating a character.
Metroid could have the marines from Federation Force.
I was expecting someone to suggest Sylux, but this would be even worse.
I think I usually bring up characters being female as a plus for why they should be included for the sake of diversity or whatever :eek: That and while I don't refuse to play male characters, I don't play them all that often when given the choice.
Hm... Well, I can agree with this. As long as the female character isn't added for fanservice purposes :)

Clov

Metroid could have the marines from Federation Force.

You know, I'm actually hoping that Sylux appears in Federation Force despite not being very interested in the game itself. He has a cool design, and a neat idea behind his character. It's just that he's only appeared in Hunters (and I guess his ship at the end of Prime 3, but still). If he can get some more appearances under his belt he could easily become another Metroid rep (since Ridley apparently is never happening).

I was expecting someone to suggest Sylux, but this would be even worse.

Oops. :p

With Ridley and Dark Samus ruled out, who else is there really?

Waddle Dee has been playable the same amount of times and has appeared in more games than Dixie Kong.

Can't really deny HAL is trying to actively make him a main character of Kirby.

Hm... Well, I can agree with this. As long as the female character isn't added for fanservice purposes :)

I mostly agree. I don't have any hangups with the occasional 'fan service' character as long as there's non-fanservice peeps for me to play. That said, I wouldn't miss the fan service characters either though if there weren't any and I certainly wouldn't ask for them to be included :p
I can only stomach stuff like Dragon's Crown because I can at least play the elf (that said, some of the NPC pics have had me exclaiming "oh f*ck off!" when I played said game with friends)

Zubz

Banned
You know, I'm actually hoping that Sylux appears in Federation Force despite not being very interested in the game itself. He has a cool design, and a neat idea behind his character. It's just that he's only appeared in Hunters (and I guess his ship at the end of Prime 3, but still). If he can get some more appearances under his belt he could easily become another Metroid rep (since Ridley apparently is never happening).

With Ridley and Dark Samus ruled out, who else is there really?

Well, they brought up the Sylux story that they wanted to build up to in MP3 while promoting Federation Force, (s)he has a vendetta against the Federation (Apparently) for something they did to Sylux's species, and the game's apparent reason for being a Metroid instead of a new IP is that it builds up lore, so I think it's safe to say Sylux plays a big role.

And, assuming Sakurai's still the director of the next Smash and thus no Ridley... U-Mos?

Has it ever been officially confirmed the ship in Prime 3 was Sylux'?

No one. That's the point. If Sylux gets more screen time and relevance in Metroid, I wouldn't be opposed to them being added to Smash. But for now, it's either Ridley or no one ~.~

I'm not deluding myself in thinking Ridley will ever have a chance to be playable in Smash. But you didn't answer my question. Why would it be "even worse than Sylux" if the protagonists of an upcoming Metroid title are advertised by being in Smash?

Ryce

Waddle Dee has been playable the same amount of times and has appeared in more games than Dixie Kong.
Return to Dream Land
Rainbow Curse

DK Country 2
DK Land 2
DK Country 3
DK Land III
Tropical Freeze
A ton of spinoffs (Konga 2/3, King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Barrel Blast, Mario Hoops, Mario Baseball, Diddy Kong Racing DS, etc.)

Am I missing something?

Dr. Buni

Wait, someone is comparing Dixie to Bandana Dee? That's... rather ridiculous.
I'm not deluding myself in thinking Ridley will ever have a chance to be playable in Smash. But you didn't answer my question. Why would it be "even worse than Sylux" if the protagonists of an upcoming Metroid title are advertised by being in Smash?
I misunderstood your question. Personally, I don't like what I have seen of Federation Force (though I am not judging the game's quality) and I don't like how the "marines" look like either. Sylux, although not quite an important character in Metroid (yet), at least have a neat design.
I mostly agree. I don't have any hangups with the occasional 'fan service' character as long as there's non-fanservice peeps for me to play. That said, I wouldn't miss the fan service characters either though if there weren't any and I certainly wouldn't ask for them to be included :p
I can only stomach stuff like Dragon's Crown because I can at least play the elf (that said, some of the NPC pics have had me exclaiming "oh f*ck off!" when I played said game with friends)
I am bit less tolerant than you are towards fanservice-y stuff. To be fair, my problem isn't even the fanservice, but the "discussions" it attracts. Instead of people talking about the game, you will see people talking about a characters butt or breasts.

Zubz

Banned
Has it ever been officially confirmed the ship in Prime 3 was Sylux'?

Yeah. It was revealed in an interview held shortly after Federation Force that it was Sylux at the end of MP3.

And I know Ridley's a lost cause for the foreseeable future because of Sakurai's vision of what the character should be, but if Sakurai leaves, I have almost no doubt that the new director would try to make Ridley fit hell or high water.

Ryce

You're counting downgraded handheld versions?

If Tropical Freeze counts for Dixie then Kirby 64 counts for Waddle Dee
A generic Waddle Dee is playable in Kirby 64, not the Bandana Waddle Dee. The bandana and spear are what define the character. Otherwise, you're just talking about an entire species.

If Tropical Freeze counts for Dixie then Kirby 64 counts for Waddle Dee

Tropical Freeze (barely)

Dixie is not only a full blown partner in TF, she also can be played entirely on her own, like all partners. I wouldn't call that "barely". Waddle Dee is only playable in the minigames in Kirby 64, otherwise entirely an NPC. It also is not the Bandanna version.
Dixie in TF is closer to Gooey than Waddle Dee in 64.

I misunderstood your question. Personally, I don't like what I have seen of Federation Force and I don't like how the "marines" look like either. Sylux, although not quite an important character in Metroid (yet), at least have a neat design.

We have absolutely no idea whether or not Federation Force will be a good game. And personally, I like the visual design of the marines more than the generic animu people from Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus Uprising and Zelda. And given the fact Shulk, who only has appeared in one game so far, was added to Smash as a playable character, I think just being in one recent game is no argument either.
The Marines are gonna be a lot more relevant to the Metroid series once Federation Force comes out, whether you like how it looks or not. Tying a Smash newcomer to that relevance is not out of question, and I'd take a Federation marine over nothing.

Koopa Troopa has been playable more times than Rosalina. Cut that bitch now.

You're counting downgraded handheld versions?

The Donkey Kong Land games are not ports. I'm not sure why you want to arbitrarily exclude ports either, so add the GBA versions of DKC2 and DKC3 to his list.

Kirby 64 (barely)
Return to Dreamland
Rainbow curse

Dkc2
Dkc3
Tropical Freeze (barely)

Waddle Dee:

Kirby 64 - Playable in the multiplayer mini-games
Return to Dream Land - Character number four in multiplayer

Dixie Kong:

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Starring role
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Leading role
Donkey Kong Land 2 - Starring role
Donkey Kong Land III - Leading role
Tropical Freeze - Starring role

Rainbow Curse is a spin-off and therefore does not count based on your own criteria, since you've excluded games like Diddy Kong Racing DS and Mario Baseball from your list.

Dr. Buni

We have absolutely no idea whether or not Federation Force will be a good game.
Precisely why I said "I am not judging the game's quality, though".
And personally, I like the visual design of the marines more than the generic animu people from Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus Uprising and Zelda.
So do I, but at the same time, I prefer the visual of Rundas and Gandrayda over Sylux and the marines, yet I am not asking for them to be added to Smash.
And given the fact Shulk, who only has appeared in one game so far, was added to Smash as a playable character, I think just being in one recent game is no argument either.
I agree and I don't think I ever used the "recency" argument in a discussion about playable characters for Smash.
The Marines are gonna be a lot more relevant to the Metroid series once Federation Force comes out, whether you like how it looks or not. Tying a Smash newcomer to that relevance is not out of question, and I'd take a Federation marine over nothing.
Well, okay? You seem to be getting too worked up about the fact I don't support the marines. I would simply take nothing over them, that's all.

PK Gaming

We have absolutely no idea whether or not Federation Force will be a good game. And personally, I like the visual design of the marines more than the generic animu people from Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus Uprising and Zelda. And given the fact Shulk, who only has appeared in one game so far, was added to Smash as a playable character, I think just being in one recent game is no argument either.

Except Sakurai doesn't seem like "Federation Marine" type of guy. He's totally a "generic animu" type of guy though, hence Smash Bros's proclivity towards those types of characters.

Dr. Buni

Canvas Curse, Rainbow Curse, Mass Attack and other non-traditional Kirby games are all spin offs to me. The Kirby wiki seems to disagree with me, though.
Except Sakurai doesn't seem like "Federation Marine" type of guy. He's totally a "generic animu" type of guy though, hence Smash Bros's proclivity towards those types of characters.
Sadly :(

I disagree with categorizing Canvas Curse and Rainbow Curse separately. It's a bigger stretch to call DKR mainline than it is to call CC mainline.

It was merely an example. Rainbow Curse is more comparable to something like DK: King of Swing, which Dixie is also playable in. Either way, comparing Dixie to Bandanna Waddle Dee is highly disingenuous.

I love Kirby to death, but I'm not foaming at the mouth for another character from it. It's already well-represented, let some other franchises get some spotlight.

parasol waddle dee or bust

To me, RC, MA, and CC follow pretty well the Kirby formula. It's about as true a Kirby game as SMB2 is a Mario game, or Yoshi's Story is a Yoshi game. They've just got different methods of executing the formula.

I am bit less tolerant than you are towards fanservice-y stuff. To be fair, my problem isn't even the fanservice, but the "discussions" it attracts. Instead of people talking about the game, you will see people talking about a characters butt or breasts.
To be honest, I kinda consider myself a bit of a prude but I think I've just kind of grown numb to most of that stuff unless it's particularly extreme.

For which I'm very grateful... or I would be if he included more of the animu characters I liked as playable instead of Assist Trophies/Costumes :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Characters that don't deserve to be in Smash:

Luigi: Just a Mario clone
Jigglypuff: Non-important Pokémon in the games and a joke character
Captain Falcon: He is a race car pilot, not a fighter
Ness: Literally who
Peach: When has she ever fought, her moves are from Doki Doki Panic anyway
Ice Climber: Literally who x2
Zelda: Stealing moves from Link to make up a moveset
Sheik: She was in only one game and didn't even fight
Marth: Japanese only, who cares
Roy: DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A GAME YET
Doctor Mario: Mario with a bogus medicine degree
Young Link: why play Young Link when you can play manly Link
Mr. Game & Watch: NOT EVEN A REAL CHARACTER
Zero Suit Samus: Samus x2, waifu fanservice bait
Lucario: Furry bait
Toon Link: No cel-shading = no buy
Pit: No game in almost twenty years
R.O.B.: NOT A VIDEO GAME CHARACTER
Ike: nobody plays Fire Emblem
Lucas: nobody plays MOTHER 3
Snake: Too mature
Sonic: Can only transform into a ball
Villager: no fighting moves
Wii Fit Trainer: not from a real video game
Rosalina: more waifu bait
Little Mac: Not popular in Japan
Grenuinja: Game is too recent
Miis: Doing it for the Goku and Shrek requests only
Palutena: EVEN more waifu bait
Pac-Man: Can only wakka wakka
Robin: Too anime
Lucina: Marth in drag
Shulk: More anime, nobody likes anime
Duck Hunt: Pandering to gun loving 'Murica
Dark Pit: Deviantart bait
Ryu: He has too many fighting moves!

I didn't know the Land games weren't down ports. So yea, Dixie has more games.

But still. I don't really care for her as a character in Smash. I feel like people are counting out K Rool and Dixie is just the "next best" in line, even if she's kind of just a product of Rare's addiction to creating new characters for the sake of creating new characters. They couldn't even control themselves from this addiction with DK64 and cut Dixie for basically a clone of her just to make a new character.

With DLC new comers, because of the extremely limited amount of them, it would seem they're going to very unique characters. No other character at all could work like Ryu, and I'm sure both Inklings and Shovel Knight, if they get in, would also be incredibly unique. Dixie on the other hand, is a small, agile monkey/chimp. When thinking about Dixie, I have to keep thinking "how can I not make Dixie a semi-clone." Like she probably couldn't have the bubble gun because it'd work too much like Diddy's peanuts. Her attacks would just feel like they subbed Diddy's tail attacks with Dixie's hair.

I have to wonder if this Sakurai's same line of thinking. Dixie is in a really strange spot where she'd feel like a semi-clone, without really being one. I guess she's similar to Wolf in that regard.

They managed to make Wolf, who is basically just "anti-Fox" in his own game into a completely unique fighter who plays entirely different. So I guess they can do that for Dixie. It just seems like people have "settled" on Dixie because K Rool seems unlikely, despite K Rool being more unique and having more potential.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Have to agree about Bandanna Dee. Absolutely boring choice. To me it's like asking for a Goomba in a boot to be playable.
I honestly think Goomba could be a funny addition just because it comes off as useless. It is Nintendo's most recognisable baddy afterall. So, to be frank, Waddle Dees are't really in the same league.

Dr. Buni

I thought Wolf's animations were that way because he is, well, a wolf. A feral creature. I hope they don't change him too much, Wolf was perfect in Brawl.

Also aren't Koopas more recognizable than Goombas?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Dixie doesn't have to be a clone. In the games she's starred in with Diddy she doesn't even have the same moves as him apart from running and jumping. That was a core part of DKC's gameplay- levels are completed by utilising each character's strengths and weaknesses.

Dixie doesn't have to be a clone. In the games she's starred in with Diddy she doesn't even have the same moves as him apart from running and jumping. That was a core part of DKC's gameplay- levels are completed by utilising each character's strengths and weaknesses.

I don't think she'd be a clone, it's just she's still just a light, fast, small ape. Which is an archetype we already have.

If this wasn't DLC and we didn't have an extremely small amount to work with, she'd work. But she seems like she'd just be a Lucas to Diddy's Ness.

She's one of the only characters I really do not want anywhere near DLC.

Dr. Buni

I guess they should cut Luigi since he covers an archetype we already have in Smash.

Dixie's moveset (specials, smash attacks, aerials, grabs) and therefore game plan would be entirely different from Diddy's. Moveset and uniqueness should only be a concern regarding this character for those who never touched DKC2 or 3 in their lives, which doesn't seem to be the case for the poster above.

jph139

Dixie Kong's main gimmick is flying with her ponytail and if you don't think that shit is fuckin' sick I don't know what to tell you.

The Donkey Kong Land games are not ports. I'm not sure why you want to arbitrarily exclude ports either, so add the GBA versions of DKC2 and DKC3 to his list.
It's been awhile, but wasn't Donkey Kong Land 2 more of a scaled back port of DKC2? The first and third Land games are definitely their own games however.

As usual, Dix would be great. For a third DK rep we either wind up with flying bubble gum monkeys or schizophrenic crocodile moobs, it's a win-win situation!

It just seems like people have "settled" on Dixie because K Rool seems unlikely, despite K Rool being more unique and having more potential.

This isn't even remotely true. You're the only regular here who keeps claiming that the Mii costume killed his chances. I'm sure a few people gave up, but they probably weren't real K. Rool fans in the first place. If anything, the opposite happened. A lot of Japanese fans were pissed and spammed votes saying "this is not acceptable" after the Mii costume was revealed. Many still believe that Sakurai is trolling, though I've never quite agreed with that theory. Occam's razor: The Mii costume had nothing to do with the ballot. For some reason, people like to forget that K. Rool was popular pre-release too, only behind Ridley and Mewtwo in many fan polls. We also know that Heihachi and Chrom were considered for the base game, so what if K. Rool's costume is the remnants of an unused fighter that was cut due to "low priority"?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's pretty adorable when we were having a harmless discussion about Bandana Dee and we were sharing our opinions about Bandana Dee and Kirby franchise representatives. Out of blue, Bandana Waddle fan decided to retaliate back by throwing Dixie Kong under the bus. (and perhaps, Donkey Kong Country Representative itself as well)

That's why I like to stay neutral because someone would get offended over little things.

The conversation started throwing Waddle Dee under the bus... I only half jokingly brought up Dixie because of the ridiculous notion that Waddle Dee is the same as Kiddy Kong. It was more "lol, no. Waddle Dee is more like Dixie"

This isn't even remotely true. You're the only regular here who keeps claiming that the Mii costume killed his chances. I'm sure a few people gave up, but they probably weren't real K. Rool fans in the first place. If anything, the opposite happened. A lot of Japanese fans were pissed and spammed votes saying "this is not acceptable" after the Mii costume was revealed. Many still believe that Sakurai is trolling, though I've never quite agreed with that theory. Occam's razor: The Mii costume had nothing to do with the ballot. For some reason, people like to forget that K. Rool was popular pre-release too, only behind Ridley and Mewtwo in many fan polls. We also know that Heihachi and Chrom were considered for the base game, so what if K. Rool's costume is the remnants of an unused fighter that was cut due to "low priority"?

There's no evidence at all that K Rool might have been considered before the ballot.

I think pre-ballot, Dixie was more popular than K Rool, likely due to Tropical Freeze and then the (un-verified) leaks that surrounded her. K Rool's popularity exploded when the ballot started, a bigger push for the character than he's ever had before.

I really dunno why people think K. Rool isn't likely. Sakurai's never commented on him before, all we know is that Sakurai hasn't added him to Smash. :v
Sakurai hasn't commented on K. Rool yet, but he acknowledged him on his list of "interesting submissions" back from pre-Brawl.

http://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

The conversation started throwing Waddle Dee under the bus... I only half jokingly brought up Dixie because of the ridiculous notion that Waddle Dee is the same as Kiddy Kong. It was more "lol, no. Waddle Dee is more like Dixie"

Kiddy was fully playable in two major Donkey Kong games. Bandanna Waddle Dee isn't even playable outside of multiplayer. If anything, he's more like Swanky Kong.
Okay, that's too mean.

There's no evidence at all that K Rool might have been considered before the ballot.

I think pre-ballot, Dixie was more popular than K Rool, likely due to Tropical Freeze and then the (un-verified) leaks that surrounded her. K Rool's popularity exploded when the ballot started, a bigger push for the character than he's ever had before.

I like both characters, but K. Rool has always been more popular. Dixie was the more "expected" choice thanks to her appearance in Tropical Freeze. Even in that thread I linked to, K. Rool was mentioned twice. The only mention of Dixie was as a duo with Diddy, and coincidentally, that was a scrapped Brawl concept. It's not unreasonable to assume that K. Rool may have been considered because of his popularity, but the team didn't prioritize him due to a lack of recent appearances.

Dr. Buni

It's pretty adorable when we were having a harmless discussion about Bandana Dee and we were sharing our opinions about Bandana Dee and Kirby franchise representatives. Out of blue, Bandana Waddle fan decided to retaliate back by throwing Dixie Kong under the bus. (and perhaps, Donkey Kong Country Representative itself as well)

That's why I like to stay neutral because someone would get offended over little things.
Yeah. I don't see why some have to attack other characters to defend their favorite.
As usual, Dix would be great. For a third DK rep we either wind up with flying bubble gum monkeys or schizophrenic crocodile moobs, it's a win-win situation!
Or both :) Or neither and we get Cranky instead.

Zubz

Banned
The conversation started throwing Waddle Dee under the bus... I only half jokingly brought up Dixie because of the ridiculous notion that Waddle Dee is the same as Kiddy Kong.

One of the most popular ballot characters in Japan...

Yeah, but he's still behind Wolf, K. Rool, and the Squildren. Plus there's all the weirdness about Shovel Knight, who's definitely one of America's best bets...

I mean, I'd love to see Waddle Dee, but the Ballot pick is probably one of those 4. Well, 3, since I doubt Wolf made it in through the Ballot since he's be an easy character to make regardless. They've already acknowledged that people want K. Rool with the costume they finished partway through the Ballot, and Splatoon's just too big at this point to not at least entertain the idea of adding the Inklings. They might save Waddle Dee for Smash 5, but unless they turn Smash into a regularly-updated service, we're not seeing him from the Ballot.

I apologize if it seemed inflammatory, but seriously it's ridiculous to liken Waddle Dee to F tier characters often considered the worst designed in their series.

And then to double down on it.

I posted that to show how insane saying Waddle Dee is in the boat as freakin Kiddy Kong is. Dixie and Waddle Dee really aren't even that different, as far as their importance in their series, which is more of what I was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom