• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I agree, it's 100% possible to do. It's just so much work. There's so many different stages with so many bizarre mechanics and transformations and weird visual designs.

For example, what if a paint "puddle" covers two blocks on Mario Maker, dead centered. You destroy the block that holds half of the puddle. Now what happens? Does the puddle disappear as soon as any platform it touches goes away, or does it hang over the edge and look weird.

"Hanging" would work for everything. Until you hit Duck Hunt. A 2D stage that, for some reason, actually has proper depth and isn't entirely flat. There's nothing to hang over on that stage.
I'd have to look at the game again myself, but it seems that there is a bit of ground that you can see on the Duck Hunt stage, so it wouldn't be completely invisible. It would require it's own ink patterns beyond that, and I don't think it's impossible to make ones that both cover the ground and overhang the edge

On your Mario Maker concern, I would think the texture would just be cut in half. It would look a little odd, but not a deal breaker.

Crayolan

n38AAOO.png

OMG HYPE!
Didn't she claim there was supposed to be a Direct last week?

She speculated a Splatoon direct on the 14th and a new update on the 16th or right around that time. She was right on the update part but that's it.

I think she's just parroting what other twitter people have said here.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I remembered that Duck Hunt's reticle color is determined by player. If it's P1 the reticle is red, if it's CPU the reticle is grey.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
oh right, those too

Inklings ink are based on their tentacle color though, not the player designation right?

Yeah, despite how much I want them, Inkling would be a lot of work. One that'd certainly be a lot of effort, mind. It's really fun to imagine stuff like, say, using the squid form to hop into another puddle within the context of Smash (for example, how could long could you stay in there?). So much potential.

name_combo_bigger.gif

:p
I'd go with what Reila said for squid form too.

Of course the game my future cousin-in-law is making would show the answer!

Here's my idea.

Inklings turn into squid form when they crouch and they can crawl as well. Their specials and some of their basic attacks can leave an ink texture on the stage that lasts for about 30 seconds. Crouching and crawling in ink decreases their hitbox (they turn into a small wave while in the ink) and increases their crawling speed. Dashing on top of ink immediately enters the modified crawling animation and allows Inklings to jump out of ink as well.

Dr. Buni

n38AAOO.png

OMG HYPE!
Usually I give those people the benefit of doubt, but somehow I don't believe she has any inside source. She was too sure about a Direct past week and we got nothing.

Also, she says it's being announced in two weeks, that contradicts what Rogersbase said about the 23rd.

NotLiquid

Usually I give those people the benefit of doubt, but somehow I don't believe she has any inside source. She was too sure about a Direct past week and we got nothing.

Also, she says it's being announced in two weeks, that contradicts what Rogersbase said about the 23rd.

She has admitted for a long time that a deal of what she says is bluffs unless it's about hard data, which she had to be right in regards to Splatoon because the game would have required to have an update going into next week. Only thing she was explicitly wrong on that end was just the means the info was going to be delivered, which all of us were wrong on really since it doesn't seem like Nintendo knows what they want with the Directs right now. If nothing else though she raised a good point about the Splatoon team "listening" to feedback more than any other dev team Nintendo has, it's clearly paid off in showing support for Octolings for one thing, with Nintendo clearly hinting at them in several ways as of late.

But regardless due to how fast the internal info of a Smash newcomer has spread it wouldn't be surprising if she learned about it. I mean, I've said this before but two or three friends of mine allegedly learned about this info as well so I wouldn't be surprised if she did either. It's just that hearing it from another person repeated in the same way, at this point, ain't gonna be more convincing. We've been hearing this supposed "rumor" for about two weeks now. Probably why she's so nonchalant about it in that tweet.

Dr. Buni

She has admitted for a long time that a deal of what she says is bluffs unless it's about hard data, which she had to be right in regards to Splatoon because the game would have required to have an update going into next week. Only thing she was explicitly wrong on that end was just the means the info was going to be delivered, which all of us were wrong on really since it doesn't seem like Nintendo knows what they want with the Directs right now. If nothing else though she raised a good point about the Splatoon team "listening" to feedback more than any other dev team Nintendo has, it's clearly paid off in showing support for Octolings for one thing, with Nintendo clearly hinting at them in several ways as of late.

But regardless due to how fast the internal info of a Smash newcomer has spread it wouldn't be surprising if she learned about it. I mean, I've said this before but two or three friends of mine allegedly learned about this info as well so I wouldn't be surprised if she did either. It's just that hearing it from another person repeated in the same way, at this point, ain't gonna be more convincing. We've been hearing this supposed "rumor" for about two weeks now. Probably why she's so nonchalant about it in that tweet.
Oh, I didn't know she admitted that.

But regardless, if she is right, that means the thing Rogersbase is hyping up isn't Smash-related after all, since the deadline is the 23rd, according to the man himself.

NotLiquid

Oh, I didn't know she admitted that.

But regardless, if she is right, that means the thing Rogersbase is hyping up isn't Smash-related after all, since the deadline is the 23rd, according to the man himself.

Well, I wouldn't read too hard into the date in her tweet. "By the end of the month" is equally likely to be the date he gave us.

why are people not giving up hope

Determination.
Desperation.

Dr. Buni

Well, I wouldn't read too hard into the date in her tweet. "By the end of the month" is equally likely to be the date he gave us.

Determination.
Desperation.
In that case, she could have said the DLC would be announced next week (since she posted it yesterday) instead of "by the end of the month". At any rate, I am only hoping all the hype leads to something substantial.

Sponge

Banned
People tend to ignore how popular the DK series. Plus, iirc Retro's DK games sold much better than their Metroid Prime games, even. It's hilarious to see people listing Nintendo's big franchises and always ignoring DK.

So true. I still remember the E3 Tropical Freeze was announced. I was in a skype call screaming my head off from hype and one of my friends groaned and complained about Metroid. I was kind of confused.

NeonZ

People tend to ignore how popular the DK series. Plus, iirc Retro's DK games sold much better than their Metroid Prime games, even. It's hilarious to see people listing Nintendo's big franchises and always ignoring DK.

So true. I still remember the E3 Tropical Freeze was announced. I was in a skype call screaming my head off from hype and one of my friends groaned and complained about Metroid. I was kind of confused.

The original Donkey Kong Country Returns sold much better than Metroid Prime. Returns 3d sold just above Prime 3 and Tropical Freeze sold worse than even Metroid Prime 2.

Clov

When it comes to Retro, I'm a bit torn; I really want them to do a new Metroid, but their Donkey Kong games are SO good! I'd love for one more sidescroller from them with K. Rool as the antagonist. Yet it's been so long since we had a real Metroid Prime game... I guess I'll be happy if they're working on either.

Sponge

Banned
The original Donkey Kong Country Returns sold much better than Metroid Prime. Returns 3d sold just above Prime 3 and Tropical Freeze sold worse than even Metroid Prime 2.

Wonder what could have caused sales to go down for DK that quickly? Was it a mixture of it being of the Wii U and people wanting a new Metroid?

NeonZ

Wonder what could have caused sales to go down for DK that quickly? Was it a mixture of it being of the Wii U and people wanting a new Metroid?

Obviously you can partially blame the Wii U userbase for the last one, but Tropical Freeze also performed worse than Hyrule Warriors and Wind Waker HD. I think there's a clear backlash against Nintendo's focus on 2d platformers.

Golnei

Somehow, I didn't notice that Ike doesn't actually have nostrils.

tumblr_inline_nwekgaoasS1rt02h5_540.jpg

It's...kind of disturbing.

Platformer saturation on the console, a sizeable portion of the Wii's audience not migrating to the Wii U; and losing the novelty of being the revival of a well-regarded but dormant brand probably all had something to do with it. I'm not sure how much the anger of the Metroid fanbase could really affect sales...

Dr. Buni

The reactions here on GAF were disgusting. "Retro's wasting their talent", "Muh Metroid". I love Metroid, but geez.
I wonder if the fact it's a Wii U game has any big effects on TF's poor sales.
When it comes to Retro, I'm a bit torn; I really want them to do a new Metroid, but their Donkey Kong games are SO good! I'd love for one more sidescroller from them with K. Rool as the antagonist. Yet it's been so long since we had a real Metroid Prime game... I guess I'll be happy if they're working on either.
I want them to work on a different IP. Their Metroid and DK games were all great, I am sure their works on a different IP would be great, too. But between MP4 and DKCR3, I would prefer DKCR3.

Edit: I think it was confirmed they aren't working on Metroid Prime, at least not yet. Maybe after they finish their current project, they will work on MP4.

1) Pathetic Wii U install base at the time
2) Released in a terrible month for game sales
3) Barely looked like an upgrade visually over DKCR

It was originally supposed to be released in November 2013, but they delayed it to February 2014 so they could pad their release schedule. The game also had a terrible reveal trailer with recycled DK Island Swing music. Nintendo sabotaged the game. A third DKC game is guaranteed to do better, especially if they release it as an NX launch title. Bring back the Kremlings, include more Animal Buddies, include the achievement system that was originally supposed to be in Tropical Freeze, and release a Donkey Kong Country Amiibo line featuring DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, Funky, Lanky, Candy, and K. Rool.

jph139

I think Wii U + platformer fatigue definitely did Tropical Freeze in. I mean, when it came out, the only big Wii U games (from Nintendo) were Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, and two Mario platformers. I'm not surprised that the tiny audience wasn't excited to bite on a third.

Which is a shame, as it's better than Returns in pretty much every way. Hopefully it's not overshadowed in the long run.

Sponge

Banned
The reactions here on GAF were disgusting. "Retro's wasting their talent", "Muh Metroid". I love Metroid, but geez.

The reactions here blew my mind. I was somebody who was upset DK didn't get much games after Rare was bought out. So to see Retro actually was gonna take the reins and not just do one game for the series made me happy. I get where Metroid fans are upset though, it has been a while since they had a Prime game.

1) Pathetic Wii U install base at the time
2) Released in a terrible month for game sales
3) Barely looked like an upgrade visually over DKCR

It was originally supposed to be released in November 2013, but they delayed it to February 2014 so they could pad their release schedule. The game also had a terrible reveal trailer with recycled DK Island Swing music. Nintendo sabotaged the game. A third DKC game is guaranteed to do better, especially if they release it as an NX launch title. Bring back the Kremlings, include more Animal Buddies, feature the achievement system that was originally supposed to be in Tropical Freeze, and release a DKC Amiibo line featuring DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, Funky, Lanky, Candy, and K. Rool.

I also remember people were upset because Retro had hired some people from Naughty Dog so that meant something other than DK. I remember some posts here thinking they were gonna do StarTropics of all games. Like really? Then there was the Cranky backlash at the VGAs because it wasn't Zelda. Jeez.

Clov

I want them to work on a different IP. Their Metroid and DK games were all great, I am sure their works on a different IP would be great, too. But between MP4 and DKCR3, I would prefer DKCR3.

Edit: I think it was confirmed they aren't working on Metroid Prime, at least not yet. Maybe after they finish their current project, they will work on MP4.

I wonder what IP they could work on asides from those? A dormant one, like Mach Rider would be cool. This one's a bit out there, but what if they made a new F-Zero? I mean, they helped out on Mariokart 7, so it's not entirely a stretch...

Dr. Buni

The reactions here blew my mind. I was somebody who was upset DK didn't get much games after Rare was bought out. So to see Retro actually was gonna take the reins and not just do one game for the series made me happy. I get where Metroid fans are upset though, it has been a while since they had a Prime game.
Sure, what I don't get is why the new Metroid needs to be Prime/developed by Retro Studios. It has been even longer since we got a traditional Metroid game and I don't see people shitting on other games because they aren't Metroid. On top of that, it's weird to see people asking for more Metroid Prime when Metroid Prime 3's reception wasn't the best.
I wonder what IP they could work on asides from those? A dormant one, like Mach Rider would be cool. This one's a bit out there, but what if they made a new F-Zero? I mean, they helped out on Mariokart 7, so it's not entirely a stretch...
I was thinking of a reboot of the Murasame's Castle IP by Retro Studios. It would be an action adventure game, like Zelda! F-Zero by Retro Studios would be great, too!

I don't know if I'm brave enough to bet my account, but I am 95% certain that Retro is working on a new DK game. They're hiring the same type of people they were hiring during Tropical Freeze's development, Tropical Freeze had several cut worlds, and Kensuke Tanabe has publicly stated that he wanted to do more with the Animal Buddies. He also expressed interest in making a 3D Donkey Kong game. Tamaki of Unseen64 fame claims that Tanabe is no longer working with Retro, which is certainly possible, given that Next Level Games is developing the new Metroid Prime game. Retro has made two DKC games by themselves, so would they really need Tanabe's guidance for a third installment? I don't think so.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I broke in the new year playing Tropical Freeze. It was so good it motivated me to pick up Returns again and finally beat the golden temples (even started a new file so I'd play every level).

Dr. Buni

I don't know if I'm brave enough to bet my account, but I am 95% certain that Retro is working on a new DK game. They're hiring the same type of people they were hiring during Tropical Freeze's development, Tropical Freeze had several cut worlds, and Kensuke Tanabe has publicly stated that he wanted to do more with the Animal Buddies. He also expressed interest in making a 3D Donkey Kong game. Tamaki of Unseen64 fame claims that Tanabe is no longer working with Retro, which is certainly possible, given that Next Level Games is developing the new Metroid Prime game. Retro has made two DKC games by themselves, so would they really need Tanabe's guidance for a third installment? I don't think so.
I am all for a new DKC game, but I do wonder what new things they can bring to the series in terms of gameplay, to make people interested. Especially because the backlash would be even more intense from Metroid fans, after TF and the Federation Force game. Although I think they might bring back the Kremlings and that alone will pick the interest of many... I think. What if they work on a 3D Donkey Kong this time?

Clov

Sure, what I don't get is why the new Metroid needs to be Prime/developed by Retro Studios. It has been even longer since we got a traditional Metroid game and I don't see people shitting on other games because they aren't Metroid. On top of that, it's weird to see people asking for more Metroid Prime when Metroid Prime 3's reception wasn't the best.

I was thinking of a reboot of the Murasame's Castle IP by Retro Studios. It would be an action adventure game, like Zelda! F-Zero by Retro Studios would be great, too!

I guess it's just because Retro's work on the Prime games was so great! Honestly, I still consider the first Prime to be the best Metroid game, period. It's even better than Super to me. As for Prime 3... personally I still loved it. People might hate me for saying this, but I actually liked it a bit more than Prime 2.

A reboot of Murasame's Castle would be great! That could turn out to be a really cool game. I'd love to see what a modern take on that would be.

It seems likely... but what if they're working on a 2D sidescroller that isn't DK? A new 3D DK would be pretty great though. I'm sure Retro wouldn't make it as needlessly bloated as DK64 was. At the same time though, didn't Camelot also express interest in making a 3D DK game? Surely Mario Tennis isn't all they've been working on!

I am all for a new DKC game, but I do wonder what new things they can bring to the series in terms of gameplay, to make people interested. Especially because the backlash would be even more intense from Metroid fans, after TF and the Federation Force game. Although I think they might bring back the Kremlings and that alone will pick the interest of many... I think. What if they work on a 3D Donkey Kong this time?

I'm sure a 3D Donkey Kong game would automatically receive better reception than a third DKC by the virtue of being in 3D, though I'd welcome both with open arms. You can see some 3D experimentation in Tropical Freeze with the dynamic barrel blasting.

Golnei

Wasn't their work on Mario Kart just limited to the course design and asset creation?

I actually wouldn't mind seeing what Treasure would do with Mach Rider; the more rail-shootery aspects of the original game could easily be expanded on with their experience in the genre. It's not like they'll ever make another Sin & Punishment...

For Retro, though it's impossible, I would have loved to see their take on Castlevania; seeing how accomplished they've become with 2D design, as well as their always-strong art direction. A shame there's such a gulf between licensing Momotaro Densetsu and buying a prominent pachislot IP outright...

With IPs Nintendo actually has, they could really be put on anything, going by the disparity between the two major franchises they've worked on. Ideally, it'd be something that works to their strengths - no other Nintendo studio could produce something quite like the DKCR games, especially aesthetically. I don't think they'll ever get to do something original, but heavily reimagining a retro IP would be a good median between having a pre-existing base and granting ample room for artistic license.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they continued to do DKC, either.

Also, Pikmin 3 is getting a sequel and that game didn't light the sales charts on fire. Why Pikmin 3, of all games? Most likely because they already have the engine in place so it's easier to recycle assets. Can you think of another critically acclaimed Wii U exclusive that under performed? I can see both Pikmin 4 and DKCR3 being NX launch titles alongside Zelda if the machine really does launch in 2016, otherwise it's Wii U for both.

Dr. Buni

I guess it's just because Retro's work on the Prime games was so great! Honestly, I still consider the first Prime to be the best Metroid game, period. It's even better than Super to me. As for Prime 3... personally I still loved it. People might hate me for saying this, but I actually liked it a bit more than Prime 2.

A reboot of Murasame's Castle would be great! That could turn out to be a really cool game. I'd love to see what a modern take on that would be.
We differ in taste when it comes to Metroid Prime. For me it's 2 > 3 > 1, though all three games are incredible.
I'm sure a 3D Donkey Kong game would automatically receive better reception than a third DKC by the virtue of being in 3D, though I'd welcome both with open arms. You can see some 3D experimentation in Tropical Freeze with the dynamic barrel blasting.
Hm, maybe they were testing the waters with the barrel blasting thing. I would love a new 3D platformer that isn't Mario developed by Nintendo.
Can you think of another critically acclaimed Wii U exclusive that under performed?
The Wonderful 101?

Clov

Also, Pikmin 3 is getting a sequel and that game didn't light the sales charts on fire. Why Pikmin 3, of all games? Most likely because they already have the engine in place so it's easier to recycle assets. Can you think of another critically acclaimed Wii U exclusive that under performed? I can see both Pikmin 4 and DKCR3 being NX launch titles alongside Zelda if the machine really does launch in 2016, otherwise it's Wii U for both.

This is a good point; Pikmin 4 is very likely to use recycled assets from 3. It would be pretty easy to just use the TF engine and create another sidescroller with that.

I kind of hope you're wrong about Pikmin 4 and DKCR3 on NX at launch though. My wallet would hurt SO badly unless there were bundles at launch.
If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with Pikmin, actually.

I feel like the reason we keep getting Pikmin games is because it's Miyamoto's pet series and he pushes for them to be made, basically.

The Wonderful 101?

The Wonderful 101 is in the 70s on Metacritic, and it didn't just under perform, it bombed. But good try! :p

I feel like the reason we keep getting Pikmin games is because it's Miyamoto's pet series and he pushes for them to be made, basically.

There's definitely some truth to this. Miyamoto wants Pikmin to be one of their flagship franchises, even though it never sells that well.

Dr. Buni

Probably one of the reasons, but if the games didn't sell enough, they wouldn't keep making it just because it was created by Miyamoto.

Regardless, I am glad they keep making Pikmin games.
The Wonderful 101 is in the 70s on Metacritic, and it didn't just under perform, it bombed. But good try! :p
Eh, I wasn't really thinking of Metacritic, but on what I read from people who played the game. I personally didn't enjoy it that much.

n38AAOO.png

OMG HYPE!

People in the leaks thread on SmashBoards posted a screen cap of her saying it's someone with a Wii U game who she personally likes. I wish they would come out and reveal that it's the Inklings instead of pretending that it will be some big surprise.

n4IS5cC.png

Sponge

Banned
People in the leaks thread on SmashBoards posted a screen cap of her saying it's someone with a Wii U game who she personally likes. I wish they would come out and reveal that it's the Inklings instead of pretending that it will be some big surprise.

If it really is the Inklings, then the fact they got a Mii costume means costumes don't really deconfirm any newcomer.

JazzmanZ

n4IS5cC.png

because if it isn't the inklings she can still be right and claim whoever it is, is her favorite character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom