• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Lmao, you and me both. Everyone who's been spreading it are very adamant about this rumor. I'd figure most collective people would just give up on this by now.

It's because few posters here kept being obsessed with tweets rumor which made it even more longer. It's kinda hard for some people to give up because people kept bringing it up almost every single day.

It's ridiculous with the notion that people are getting too thirsty with information so they would cling to rumors so much.

NotLiquid

It's because few posters here kept being obsessed with tweets rumor which made it even more longer. It's kinda hard for some people to give up because people kept bringing it up almost every single day.

It's ridiculous with the notion that people are getting too thirsty with information so they would cling to rumors so much.

Well, that aside, I was also referring to the people who are spreading this rumor. It's easy to just give up on the notion when a lot of people have been getting ridiculous harassment over the ordeal. Sure, putting unwarranted attention is one thing but I'm surprised that people with so many eyes on them have so much thick skin in regards to this shindig. Even during the SK rumor, Tamaki made it clear that he wasn't even sure he fully believed the info and that he was only reporting on it.

Kind of funny this rumor completely eclipsed the Shovel Knight rumor.

It's basically forgotten, even if it hasn't necessarily been debunked yet.
Despite the fact that the evidence for it seems a lot stronger than the Inkling one. That said, time's about to run out on that one too. Tamaki hasn't said much of anything on it for a while though.

Dr. Buni

I am not exactly sure why anyone would want to lie about this kind of stuff, when (assuming it's fake) all it would attract is negative popularity, harassment and stuff.

I am not exactly sure why anyone would want to lie about this kind of stuff, when (assuming it's fake) all it would attract is negative popularity, harassment and stuff.
Roger DiLuigi was permabanned on NeoGAF for lying like this. Granted, that was a long time ago, but seriously. Not someone I would give the benefit of the doubt.

The boring thing about a rumor like the SK one is that The cut off date for it was very distant and the pretension was somewhat nebulous. I think the possibility of him is still there but it's going to take a while before we find out anything. Probably nothing until after the Amiibo comes out.

I actually somewhat believe the Shovel Knight rumor more, to be honest. Not really sure why, it's just a feeling I have. It became especially a bit more believable when Amazon started selling Smash DLC, so it was very clear where his source would get information. A big question of the leak was "how would retail know about DLC" and Amazon answered that question. So that was one huge issue the leak had that was solved a few weeks ago.

Something about this Inkling rumor feels "off" while Shovel Knight was one and done. Tamaki didn't sit on Twitter for weeks teasing it or making little nods to it and then giggling and going "oops, you're not allowed to know only us cool kids club members can know!" while Tamaki just outright leaked the entire thing. He hasn't really mentioned it at all since the leak either.

Shovel Knight is the sort of surprise DLC I was more or less expecting.

Despite the fact that the evidence for it seems a lot stronger than the Inkling one. That said, time's about to run out on that one too. Tamaki hasn't said much of anything on it for a while though.

In a way, him not saying much about it is a bit more encouraging. The Inkling folks have been milking this stuff for almost a month.

Dr. Buni

Roger DiLuigi was permabanned on NeoGAF for lying like this. Granted, that was a long time ago, but seriously. Not someone I would give the benefit of doubt.
I am aware of that, but as you said, it was a long time ago.

I think it's more likely that (again, assuming the rumor is fake) that Roger was lied to and he actually believes what he told his friends who are "backing him".

That or he is really stupid.

I want both rumors to be fake just for the lulz. That being said, I am more included to believe the Shovel Knight rumor. The other one has zero substance. A bunch of people allegedly know who the next character is and are leaving "subtle" hints that seem to suggest that it's Inkling. But what if the hints were deliberately misleading and Nintendo reveals somebody else? Either say who it is or shut the fuck up. Stealth is still making vague statemments like "Next week will be huge for Nintendo fans."

9FEr31B.png

Dr. Buni

I want both rumors to be fake just for the lulz. That being said, I am more included to believe the Shovel Knight rumor. The other one has zero substance. A bunch of people allegedly know who the next character is and are leaving subtle "hints" that seem to suggest that it's Inkling. But what if the hints were deliberately misleading and Nintendo reveals somebody else? Either say who it is or shut the fuck up. Stealth is still saying things like "Next week will be huge for Nintendo fans."

9FEr31B.png
That's precisely what I think it's happening and why I can't be excited for Inklings. I am just excited for news in general this week. If nothing else, at least Splatoon is getting a meaningful update.

That's precisely what I think it's happening and why I can't be excited for Inklings. I am just excited for news in general this week. If nothing else, at least Splatoon is getting a meaningful update.

I dunno. I thought to myself: "Well, these people don't want to reveal who the character is, so they can't be stupid enough to nonchalantly give the secret away."

But they probably are.

Tamaki hasn't said anything in a while but he definitely wasn't silent in the first week or two afterwards. Guy was interviewed by Source Gaming even.

Hey can y'all provide input on this :v

http://strawpoll.me/5770784/r

I want the next Punch Out to star a young Doc Louis, who we follow through his career in the 70s/80s, rising up to be the greatest boxer in the world.

I'm intrigued by Doc being a well known retired boxer, and he even seems to know a couple of Mac's foes personally. It would be funny to see characters like Von Kaiser in their youth, fresh boxers right out of High School. It's never really outright mentioned much in game that Doc was a famous boxer at some point.

Tamaki hasn't said anything in a while but he definitely wasn't silent in the first week or two afterwards. Guy was interviewed by Source Gaming even.

But he didn't dangle the carrot out there or act like he knew something we all didn't. He wasn't the most modest about it, but what's going on now for Inklings is just getting stupid.

Dr. Buni

I dunno. I thought to myself: "Well, these people don't want to reveal who the character is, so they can't be stupid enough to nonchalantly give the secret away."

But they probably are.
Maybe.

One thing I can attest: It can be difficult to keep a leak secret, especially when you know something is in the game, but on discussions people keep saying that it's impossible to happen. So I wouldn't be surprised if, assuming the rumor is true, one of the leakers ended up giving the secret away. Who knows.

Real or fake, they are probably laughing at the people's reactions here on SmashGAF, twitter, smashboards, reddit, etc.

NotLiquid

I don't believe one rumor over the other. While I can see a retail source being a good reason to leak Shovel Knight, it's still generally much harder for me to believe that he's going to end up a fighter in terms of context - or at the very least any more in contrast to the Inklings (if it is them), and I wouldn't be surprised if the Amiibo is one of the main reasons he was assumed as a newcomer. I can believe the context of the current Twitter rumors more because like it or not, Nintendo can only leverage their own current games for the holidays and the Inklings as newcomers is something that is going to have to happen sooner or later. But unlike the SK rumor, there ain't as many hard sources.

I want to believe the Twitter rumors though, particularly because I trust Sean.

I'm interested to see if Friday passes with nothing having happened if they still try to string people along or finally admit maybe they got bad info.

"Wait no, we were wrong, it's actually in two weeks! Yea, come on guys!"

I want the next Punch Out to star a young Doc Louis, who we follow through his career in the 70s/80s, rising up to be the greatest boxer in the world.

I'm intrigued by Doc being a well known retired boxer, and he even seems to know a couple of Mac's foes personally. It would be funny to see characters like Von Kaiser in their youth, fresh boxers right out of High School. It's never really outright mentioned much in game that Doc was a famous boxer at some point.

But he didn't dangle the carrot out there or act like he knew something we all didn't.

I just hope that in a prequel game, the final opponent is Bald Bull.

Also, the final cutscene should be Little Mac as a kid asking for his autograph.

Great, now I'm going to be disappointed if the next Punch Out doesn't follow this idea.

Javier

I can see it now:

- No Direct or Smash news happen on Monday.
- Splatoon update is released on Tuesday, and fans download and install the update.
- First thing you see when running the game is the Squid Sisters News, except this time they say that they have "A very special announcement".
- Screen goes black, followed by the fiery Smash logo and Inkling's Smash trailer.

Dr. Buni

I can see it now:

- Splatoon update is released on Tuesday, and fans download and install the update.
- First thing you see when running the game is the Squid Sisters News, except this time they say that they have "A very special announcement".
- Screen goes black, followed by the fiery Smash logo and Inkling's Smash trailer.
That would be insane.

Platy

I can see it now:

These days Nintendo have been so weird with announcements that I don't doubt this could happen

....or maybe even the trailer playing in the WiiU startup or something =P

Wasn't the common theory behind the Germatsu 'leak' that the source got mislead that it was going to be Shulk when it was Robin/Lucina instead to try and flush them out? Same thing could've happened here.

Wasn't the common theory behind the Germatsu 'leak' that the source got mislead that it was going to be Shulk when it was Robin/Lucina instead to try and flush them out? Same thing could've happened here.

I think he just assumed Shulk was next to be announced. I don't think it was bad information, he just tried to guess and failed

Dr. Buni

Nah, I mean the person who said that was being mislead by whoever was feeding them information in the first place.

Though if they just guessed that'd be pretty dumb.
Oh, so Rogersbase's source could have told him x character is coming, but in fact who is coming is y. It's a possibility. Or maybe his source, assuming there's one, only said a popular character is coming, unrelated to the ballot and people are just throwing random guesses, with the Inklings being the ~most likely~.

Golnei

I can see it now:

That's probably the only possible scenario where you could actually get people appreciating being bombarded by an intrusive, unskippable advertisement for a separate game's DLC. Nintendo has too much power.

JazzmanZ

Now Sean is denying having ever spoken to Nikki. Nintendo, announce a Direct soon so this shit show will end. Please.

Y'know why not just stop paying attention to the whole thing instead of letting eat at you?

Who cares if the leak is real or not, who cares if the character is Inkling or not, the world will go on.

Kind of reminds me of the ESRB leak and how it kept getting batted around and completely mishandled by a bunch of goobers who had no idea how to handle getting advance information.

RomanceDawn

Y'know why not just stop paying attention to the whole thing instead of letting eat at you?

Who cares if the leak is real or not, who cares if the character is Inkling or not, the world will go on.

The world will most definitely not go on! This is real life we're talkin' here!

Oh I might be living in China for up to 3 years. When I bring my Wii U back I hope to high heaven I can make some decent wifi connections. :(

Kind of reminds me of the ESRB leak and how it kept getting batted around and completely mishandled by a bunch of goobers who had no idea how to handle getting advance information.
Yeah, the Germatsu leak while still having its own dumb moments was at least via a proper news blog instead of directly to fans who just play hot potato with the information. Plus the way Sal (sort of) verified that information before Smash 4's reveal and before anybody even know they'd been partially spoiled the roster was pretty ingenious. If regular joes find out roster details before the proper announcements, I'd prefer it if they just pretend they don't, maybe 'guess' characters that they know are in the game and then after people realize they were on the up and up answer some more general questions about the game's development instead of spoiling everything.

The ESRB leak people just wound up costing someone their job who wanted to show them some stuff a few weeks before launch and scrambled to make halfhearted "See, it's just Mac's photoshopped face all along!" images by the time /v/ was all over it.

NotLiquid

What this guy said.

Unless we get hard data or unless we get actual news this week, nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom