• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayolan

People in the leaks thread on SmashBoards posted a screen cap of her saying it's someone with a Wii U game who she personally likes. I wish they would come out and reveal that it's the Inklings instead of pretending that it will be some big surprise.

n4IS5cC.png

You should be excited, that means Dixie Kong!
It means Inklings.

Here we go, Captain Toad!

You know considering the surplus of Mario in Smash this would probably make the safest runner up choice behind Inklings.

NotLiquid

Can you post the screen cap here?

Ah, thought it was a different screen cap.

Yeah it doesn't say anything here about this being her favorite character lol. Plus this tweet was made around a similar time frame as some of the other tweets posted. Like I said back then; she could have known about this "source" as well but the information isn't really telling anything new. Also she says she's never talked to Roger.

Platy

She speculated a Splatoon direct on the 14th and a new update on the 16th or right around that time. She was right on the update part but that's it.

I think she's just parroting what other twitter people have said here.

The direct was like "the update is big enoght to deserve a new direct" kind of speculation

Yeah it doesn't say anything here about this being her favorite character lol. Plus this tweet was made around the same time as the one posted a page back. Like I said back then; she could have known about this "source" as well but the information isn't really telling anything new.

She's telling us that it's a Wii U character, which means no K. Rool or Isaac. Everybody already knows that it's going to be the Inklings, so all of this teasing is pointless.

Digging through the first party wii-u list...

Splatoon - Inkling, Callie, Marie, Captain Cuttlefish, Spike :p
Captain Toad - Captain Toad, Toadette
Mario Party 10 - Daisy, Toadette, Spike
Game & Wario - Ashley, Kat & Ana, Jimmy T, Jimmy P, Doc Crygor, Penny Crygor, Mike, Dribble & Spitz, Mona, Orbulon, Young Cricket
Yoshi's Wooly World - wool yoshi, Kamek
Hyrule Warriors* - Midna, Impa, Agitha, Ganon, Ruto, Darunia, Ghirahim, Zant, Tingle, Tetra, Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule
Mario Kart 8 - Daisy, Toad, Toadette, Isabelle, shy guy, babies, metals, waluigi, koopa troopa, lakitu
DKC:TF* - Cranky, Dixie
Windwaker HD - Tetra, toon zelda, toon dorf, tingle, medli, Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule
Wonderful 101 - Wonder insert-colour-here

* she didn't specify that the game itself was first party, just the character :p

I didn't mention any that had their characters all in (e.g. super mario world 3d) and it's possible I missed some characters/games but there's something for you all to play with :3

Dr. Buni

She's telling us that it's a Wii U character, which means no K. Rool or Isaac. Everybody already knows that it's going to be the Inklings, so all of this teasing is pointless.
I mean, it's clear it's the Inklings, assuming those people aren't bullshitting on us, but it could be Captain Toad, Wonder Red or whoever instead of Inklings. Even Monita.

Dr. Buni

Oh yeah, it could be Dixie too. I am kinda focusing on characters that debuted on Wii U.
Wait, is wonder red a first party character? I thought they were 2nd/3rd party?
As far as I know, the IP is owned by Nintendo, so he is first party. It's the same case of Golden Sun and Isaac.

Platy

It clips slightly, but it's barely noticeable.

It would be completely noticeable if it were a disc shaped puddle

9eoSiqy.jpg

That would be very clear and obviously clipping, or the puddle would be at a bizarre and awkward angle.

No problem with cliping since we would only see the non clipped part

Platinum does not own any IP for the games they made

By definition, a first party character (same way Bayonetta is owned by Sega).

Oh yeah, it could be Dixie too. I am kinda focusing on characters that debuted on Wii U.
As far as I know, the IP is owned by Nintendo, so he is first party. It's the same case of Golden Sun and Isaac.

Huh, ok. Added to the list :p

edit:
Captain Toad would be a terrible character cause his recovery would be worse than Little Mac lmao
Could probably just make something up like getting picked up by the final boss ala duckhunt :p

For all intents and purposes, Wonder Red is a Nintendo character as Nintendo owns the Wonderful 101 IP.

"Second Party" is an informal term we like to use to describe characters and franchises owned by Nintendo but not developed by them, if you know what I mean. Series like Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, Splatoon, etc all came from Nintendo's internal studios such as EAD or R&D1..but series/games like Pokemon, Kirby, Golden Sun, Wonderful 101, etc all came from outside studios that Nintendo likes to work with time to time, such as Game Freak, Platinum Games or Camelot.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So the Leak King™ got in touch with me and told me the deets because they're tired of all the teasing going on. Their motto is "Leak it or shut it" so they're really angry at the moment because there's a lot of people who should, in the Leak King™'s words, "have a Smash Ball shoved down their goddamn throats". Yikes.

The upcoming DLC character is Urban Champion. You ask how that fulfils the above criteria? Their game is on Wii U's VC service. Yeah, the Leak King™ also thought that was a really naughty clue, which is probably what motivated them to finally speak out.

So basically you've all been punked by a bunch of Twitterers.

Platy

So the Leak King™ got in touch with me and told me the deets because they're tired of all the teasing going on. Their motto is "Leak it or shut it" so they're really angry at the moment because there's a lot of people who should, in the Leak King™'s words, "have a Smash Ball shoved down their goddamn throats". Yikes.

The upcoming DLC character is Urban Champion. You ask how that fulfils the above criteria? Their game is on Wii U's VC service. Yeah, the Leak King™ also thought that was a really naughty clue, which is probably what motivated them to finally speak out.

Makes sense, considering his fans on the eshop and club nintendo threads

VC? Ick... I forgot about those. Sorry, too lazy to go through and add them all to my list. If someone else wants to do that they're more than welcome though :p

On the subject of Urban Champion, someone here actually made a pretty clever idea on how to implement him into Smash..or should I say, "them".

Basically the idea was an Ice Climbers esque character where there'd be the two fighters who, by attacking each other, indirectly hit the opponents in between them lol.

If we get Inklings, does anyone else feel like that strongly impacts how the NX will handle the Smash series? Most people, including myself, assumed that Inklings would be saved for Smash NX, but if Sakurai is willing to use up the best new IP character Nintendo has to offer for Smash NX, it suggests to me that he is more likely to port Smash U to the NX. Thoughts?

Dr. Buni

If we get Inklings, does anyone else feel like that strongly impacts how the NX will handle the Smash series? Most people, including myself, assumed that Inklings would be saved for Smash NX, but if Sakurai is willing to use up the best new IP character Nintendo has to offer for Smash NX, it suggests to me that he is more likely to port Smash U to the NX. Thoughts?
I don't think Smash NX will be a thing, not as a brand new game, at least. I think from now on they will keep improving on Smash 4 instead of developing new games from scratch. I think there are two main reasons for that, one is that there isn't many reasons to throw Smash 4 in the trash and start everything from the scratch again and the second one is a bit of an unpopular opinion, it seems, but Smash's roster is massive and I don't see they adding that many characters in "Smash 4 for NX" or whatever.
I'm kind of curious how long they'll keep the dev team for this game around, though. They've been working since like 2012, over three years ago.
True. Maybe after all DLC is done and released, they will disband the team and then hire Bandai Namco (or any other studio) again when the time comes. Regardless of we getting Smash 5, Smash 4 NX or something different, I wonder if Sakurai will be the head director of the game again.

I don't think Smash NX will be a thing, not as a brand new game, at least. I think from now on they will keep improving on Smash 4 instead of developing new games from scratch.

I'm kind of curious how long they'll keep the dev team for this game around, though. They've been working since like 2012, over three years ago.

NotLiquid

Kind of. But I don't think there'd be any point in saving them. The Inklings are at the height of their popularity right now and the commitment to DLC was already an admission that they were going to exhaust any potential newcomers going into whatever next game they might have in store, so ignoring the Inklings was going to be a bit of a hard sell.

They might as well save another Splatoon rep for the future like Octolings or some such, and have them be a Wolf-esque counterpart.

Octogirl says the character isn't Wolf or Ridley ... which was already sort of implied in the other tweet.

Ooh! Good point!

Splatoon - Inkling, Callie, Marie, Captain Cuttlefish, Spike :p
Captain Toad - Captain Toad, Toadette
Mario Party 10 - Daisy, Toadette, Spike
Game & Wario - Ashley, Kat & Ana, Jimmy T, Jimmy P, Doc Crygor, Penny Crygor, Mike, Dribble & Spitz, Mona, Orbulon, Young Cricket
Yoshi's Wooly World - wool yoshi, Kamek
Hyrule Warriors - Midna, Impa, Agitha, Ganon, Ruto, Darunia, Ghirahim, Zant, Tingle, Tetra, Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule
Mario Kart 8 - Daisy, Toad, Toadette, Isabelle, shy guy, babies, metals, waluigi, koopa troopa, lakitu
DKC:TF - Cranky, Dixie
Windwaker HD - Tetra, toon zelda, toon dorf, tingle, medli, Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule
Wonderful 101 - Wonder insert-colour-here
Star Fox Zero - Slippy, Peppy, Wolf
Metroid Prime: Trilogy - Dark Samus, Ridley

I've always tempered my expectations for a NX port since Sakurai's expressed a desire to move on, but that he's stuck with the game for this long certainly means he wants to meet fan expectations, (and I think he once stated as much?), so who knows?

I'd personally like to see it, although I wonder how they'd handle save transfers and such.

Octogirl says the character isn't Wolf or Ridley ... which was already sort of implied in the other tweet.

Rrgh, enough of the teasing! I can't take it anymore!

NotLiquid

So, who is this Octogirl, and why should anyone believe a thing she says?

Splatoon dataminer who had leaked a whole plethora of the game's upcoming modes and weapons for quite a number of months and also leaked the existence of Twilight Princess HD, as well as hidden Mario Maker assets.

What she's saying about this alleged newcomer is stuff she ain't pretending to be news but she denies that she heard this info from Roger so probably from anyone else who found out about this. Really, as much as she's been a fantastic source for hard data what she's saying isn't really changing anything. We'll find out next week whether this stuff is real or not.

Dr. Buni

Count me in the "I will be disappointed if..." group. Fortunately, I am used to being disappointed, since I am to easy to be hyped about stuff. But I don't mind, better to enjoy hype trains than be a downer that never gets hyped over anything :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There is no need for speculation because we already know that it's Splatoon character. It was too obvious.

Kind of. But I don't think there'd be any point in saving them. The Inklings are at the height of their popularity right now and the commitment to DLC was already an admission that they were going to exhaust any potential newcomers going into whatever next game they might have in store, so ignoring the Inklings was going to be a bit of a hard sell.

They might as well save another Splatoon rep for the future like Octolings or some such, and have them be a Wolf-esque counterpart.

I would love to have final boss as playable character but people are going to tell us that he's too big for this game. ;P

My wild prediction: nothing happens this week, leakers don't know shit.

That's my stance since I always go with low expectation.

NotLiquid

Kind of funny this rumor completely eclipsed the Shovel Knight rumor.

It's basically forgotten, even if it hasn't necessarily been debunked yet.

The boring thing about a rumor like the SK one is that the cut off date for it was very distant and the pretension was somewhat nebulous. I think the possibility of him is still there but it's going to take a while before we find out anything. Probably nothing until after the Amiibo comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom