• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

J@hranimo

Banned
They didn't say we would get characters in November. They said by the end of October, with two of them saying it would be before the 23rd. Hell, they haven't even specified which character we're supposed to be getting.

"We're getting a new Smash character soon."

Thank you for that riveting insider information, you douchebags.

But the general time frame was October. If we get a character in November, they would still be wrong, unless they reveal who the character is and we get said character in November.

The hacking stuff Nikki says I totally believe, since she backs it up with videos, but she also claims she knows who the character is (Inklings) and that it was Sean who told her. Yet this Sean person says he never said anything to her :p

I'm aware of that, but it may be looking like whoever gave Roger, Stealth and Sean the deets may be off the mark themselves. I know there is 11 days left of the month and it's only Tuesday before the inevitable 23rd, but I think it could be likely they would be wrong on which week we get the announcement and it's another week entirely. Then the DLC would get a release in November to pad that month out.

I'm not trying to protect them or anything, I'm just saying if they are wrong don't be too pissed off and we would still get something in the next couple of weeks lol.

I'm just saying if they are wrong don't be too pissed off and we would still get something in the next couple of weeks lol.
Wrong about WHAT? They haven't said anything of substance. "Oh yeah we're getting hype Nintendo news soon". Within the next couple of weeks is not soon.

jtzl862.png

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
it's overreaction when some people are asking to blacklist them because they may be wrong with information. The faults is really on audiences for taking words from twitter accounts (without/with credibility) too serious. It's something we could keep it in our minds but nope, people had to become too obsessed with the "leaks" they harmed themselves and everyone around.

I'm not saying twitter guys are innocent but they shouldn't tease fanbase like that because we know some people can't handle the tease very well. The whole situation is a huge mess so I hope everyone learn thier lessons this time.

Clov

That stability update for 3DS sure was huge! Pretty fantastic beginning of the week for Nintendo fans. Even better than a Direct!

Dr. Buni

I'm aware of that, but it may be looking like whoever gave Roger, Stealth and Sean the deets may be off the mark themselves. I know there is 11 days left of the month and it's only Tuesday before the inevitable 23rd, but I think it could be likely they would be wrong on which week we get the announcement and it's another week entirely. Then the DLC would get a release in November to pad that month out.

I'm not trying to protect them or anything, I'm just saying if they are wrong don't be too pissed off and we would still get something in the next couple of weeks lol.
Oh, I am not going to be pissed off at anyone, but I am sure others will harass the hell out of them if we don't get Smash news soon.

Seriously. We're getting to the point that we're calling people "douchebags" over this?

Fucking hell.

Bragging that you have insider information and then being wrong about it would make anybody look like an enormous douche. So yes, if nothing pans out by the end of October, every single person who was involved in this "tease" should be held accountable. All I've seen you do in this thread is defend the alleged leakers non-stop because Sean is your friend.

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh, I am not going to be pissed off at anyone, but I am sure others will harass the hell out of them if we don't get Smash news soon.

Yeah that's gonna be a crappy situation, but like Heath said it would be a lesson learned.

It would be cool if one of the Inkling's taunts was a Woomy! of sorts lol. Maybe they'll have some original gibberish added just for the game.

NotLiquid

Bragging that you have insider information and then being wrong about it would make anybody look like an enormous douche. So yes, if nothing pans out by the end of October, every single person who was involved in this "tease" should be held accountable. All I've seen you do in this thread is defend the alleged leakers non-stop because Sean is your friend.

Mate, I ain't defending anyone. I've already said my piece on the leak. If it's real, it's real. If it's wrong, it's wrong. If someone is bullshitting, that's a fair assessment to call, so you can cut the projecting out on that part.

Caring so intensely about some DLC that you're willing to call people douchebags because some people are fairly excited about it yet would circumstantially be unable to share it is pretty ridiculous no matter how you slice it though.

Dr. Buni

Yeah that's gonna be a crappy situation, but like Heath said it would be a lesson learned.

It would be cool if one of the Inkling's taunts was a Woomy! of sorts lol. Maybe they'll have some original gibberish added just for the game.
Maybe, though they have so many cute voice clips in Splatoon, that if Sakurai directly port most of them to Smash, I will not be bothered. 1:10 of this video could be the Inkling Girl's star K.O. sound clip. Also, if this isn't their "Victory!" theme, Sakurai doesn't know what he is doing. It will probably be a snip of the "Splattack!" song, though -_-

No one needs to be "held accountable." People can be wrong without being liars (see the Gematau leaks). And even if it is some massive conspiracy, what does it matter? Nintendo's investor meeting is at the end of the month, and they'll likely touch on Nintendo Directs and how information will be dispersed by the company here on out.

Caring so intensely about some DLC that you're willing to call people douchebags because some people are fairly excited about it yet would circumstantially be unable to share it is pretty ridiculous no matter how you slice it though.

Oh please. There's a difference between being excited for something and constantly teasing information you supposedly can't share. And yet they've given away so many hints that I would be surprised if it wasn't the Inklings. If they're "unable to share it", then why say anything? I don't like attention seeking, and "douchebag" is a fairly mild pejorative.

No one needs to be "held accountable." People can be wrong without being liars (see the Gematau leaks). And even if it is some massive conspiracy, what does it matter? Nintendo's investor meeting is at the end of the month, and they'll likely touch on Nintendo Directs and how information will be dispersed by the company here on out.

People on NeoGAF get banned (including Roger himself) for lying about insider information, which is a policy I've always respected. Riling people up is a shitty, shitty thing to do, and you can't blame the fans for that. Gematsu is different than a bunch of people claiming to know exact timeframes for information dumps that may or may not transpire. They deserve until the end of the week at most.

Crayolan

Maybe, though they have so many cute voice clips in Splatoon, that if Sakurai directly port most of them to Smash, I will not be bothered. 1:10 of this video could be the Inkling Girl's star K.O. sound clip. Also, if this isn't their "Victory!" theme, Sakurai doesn't know what he is doing. It will probably be a snip of the "Splattack!" song, though -_-

If Inklings get in I think their victory theme will be a slight remix of the first 5 seconds of the song you linked. Sakurai could use the single player level clear theme though.

Dr. Buni

If Inklings get in I think their victory theme will be a slight remix of the first 5 seconds of the song you linked. Sakurai could use the single player level clear theme though.
Maybe, maybe not. He doesn't always go with the most obvious route when it comes to victory themes.

J@hranimo

Banned

I could see the results music being the victory theme, but I would personally like it more if it was the single player results screen. It sounds more "Yeah! We did it!" too me :p

All in all I'm sure it will be a good victory jingle.

Maybe, maybe not. He doesn't always go with the most obvious route when it comes to victory themes.

Out of curiosity, which victory themes aren't the obvious ones?

NotLiquid

Oh please. There's a difference between being excited for something and constantly teasing information you supposedly can't share. And yet they've given away so many hints that I would be surprised if it wasn't the Inklings. If they're "unable to share it", then why say anything? I don't like attention seeking, and "douchebag" is a fairly mild pejorative.

I call it like I see 'em here. If nothing else I originally saw it like a fun way to get the ball rolling if the rumor was in any way real. For sure, as time goes on the less inclined I am in believing it. A great deal of people who know about it are just like everyone else - fans who are dying to actually see some of the news happen. Unfortunately the Smash community is unable to actually see this and mild pejorative or not, it's still pretty emblematic of the unfortunate circumstance all the same.

And for the record - I don't disagree about some of these guys not being the coolest dudes on the block! Stealth ain't the smartest tool in the shed and people have already noted their piece about Roger. But harmless speculation should ideally remain that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
@RogersBase

Honestly very surprised that we didn’t hear anything big from Nintendo yesterday or today. Starting to think my source was wrong on this.

@RogersBase

I was initially told that we’d be getting a Splatoon Direct by the 23rd and that there may be a “Smashing” announcement at the end.

@RogersBase

We might still get one but I’m not counting my chickens so I figured there’s no harm in saying what I expected and was initially told.

@RogersBase

That being said, I really disagree with how a few people have been teasing this and making it sound a like a mainly Smash announcement.

@RogersBase

Smash was a small part of it and it was never clear to me if the character was Inkling or Shovel Knight (though Inkling makes more sense).

rOGER PLS

NotLiquid

@RogersBase

Honestly very surprised that we didn’t hear anything big from Nintendo yesterday or today. Starting to think my source was wrong on this.

@RogersBase

I was initially told that we’d be getting a Splatoon Direct by the 23rd and that there may be a “Smashing” announcement at the end.

@RogersBase

We might still get one but I’m not counting my chickens so I figured there’s no harm in saying what I expected and was initially told.

@RogersBase

That being said, I really disagree with how a few people have been teasing this and making it sound a like a mainly Smash announcement.

@RogersBase

Smash was a small part of it and it was never clear to me if the character was Inkling or Shovel Knight (though Inkling makes more sense).

rOGER PLS

Well there it is. Funny how we got that Splatoon update during that time frame at least so I guess there was some credence.

All's left now is to wait and see whether it's hot air or not.

Zubz

Banned
@RogersBase

@RogersBase

Hoo boy. Just imagine if his "source" was basing itself on Nikki's Tweet about a Direct, and it just went all "Telephone Game" until it got back to her with "new info" that was really just people accepting her speculation as fact.

Dr. Buni

Out of curiosity, which victory themes aren't the obvious ones?
I guess it is subjective, but I think there were more obvious (or "better picks") for the victory themes for the character of the Pokémon and Zelda series, as well as Shulk, Villager and Pikmin & Olimar. That doesn't mean their current victory themes are bad, though. Well, the Pokémon one is kinda meh :p

NotLiquid

Hoo boy. Just imagine if his "source" was basing itself on Nikki's Tweet about a Direct, and it just went all "Telephone Game" until it got back to her with "new info" that was really just people accepting her speculation as fact.

Oh god lol

That would be hilarious

Zubz

Banned

I feel special, getting a Twitter shout-out for a GAF post.

But I'm saying she was no one's source. Just that his source saw her speculate about a Direct before the patch she figured out, got confused and accepted it as fact, added the bit about Smash, and told Roger, who told Stealth, who told Sean, who told Nikki. It's ludicrous, but leak scenarios tend to be.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm surprised they didn't use Badge Victory for Pokemon winning.

Xenoblade has no distinct victory tune though.

Dr. Buni

I feel special, getting a Twitter shout-out for a GAF post.

But I'm saying she was no one's source. Just that his source saw her speculate about a Direct before the patch she figured out, got confused and accepted it as fact, added the bit about Smash, and told Roger, who told Stealth, who told Sean, who told Nikki. It's ludicrous, but leak scenarios tend to be.
I am conflicted. Part of me wants this "leak" to be true, the other part of me wants this to happen just because of how hilarious it would be.

So it was for a rumored Splatoon Direct that may or may not have had a Smash trailer at the end for a character that may or not have been the Inklings. I'm guessing people like Stealth and Zef just piggybacked off of Roger's source and added their own assumptions.

Zubz

Banned
I'm surprised they didn't use Badge Victory for Pokemon winning.

Xenoblade has no distinct victory tune though.

I dunno; with Mario, the victory theme's iconic. With Pokemon, the main theme's more iconic than the Victory music. Same with Zelda & Pikmin, IMO.

Splatoon has 2 popular choices for victory music that can just be copy-passed; I doubt we're just getting Splattack! if the Inklings get in.

NotLiquid

A detailed lowdown (or "Direct" I suppose) of Splatoon is still somewhat believable I think due to the game's update data strongly suggesting that there's a lot more to it than stage fixes and balance patches. Last time we only got it in the form of a trailer / commercial though. It's not going to be too long before the update is completely dissected and since Nintendo knows that it's going to happen due to having run-ins with Nikki before, it makes no sense for them to not have doubled down on what that content is going to be there (there's virtually no content left in the game to release other than things like Hydra Splatling etc. either).

So I can believe that part. It's the Smash part that's dubious now. Much like I speculated way back in the thread, I do believe Nintendo had considered a newcomer this holiday season to leverage cross promotion due to how little else they have to sell, but that's only circumstantial and not any real proof.

Dr. Buni

I was going to suggest that maybe the relatively big size of the Splatoon update is because they will secretly update Smash as well, but that wouldn't work because 3DS version.
I dunno; with Mario, the victory theme's iconic. With Pokemon, the main theme's more iconic than the Victory music. Same with Zelda & Pikmin, IMO.

Splatoon has 2 popular choices for victory music that can just be copy-passed; I doubt we're just getting Splattack! if the Inklings get in.
Well, by your logic we are getting Splattack as the Inkling's victory theme, since it is easily the most iconic Splatoon music.

For a series with 10 billion fanfares, the Pokemon victory theme in Smash is pretty boring. Even more so since a huge portion of the roster uses the same theme.

At least Mario is broken up between three themes. Pokemon and Fire Emblem have the same theme used by 6 and 5 characters. Meaning 20% of the roster uses the same two fanfares...

Well, by your logic we are getting Splattack as the Inkling's victory theme, since it is easily the most iconic Splatoon music.
That doesn't make sense. Mario's 1-1 theme is more iconic than the victory music, but the point is that the victory theme is iconic as well. The same is true of Splatoon (well, as iconic as music in a brand new franchise can get). Even if Splattack is the most "iconic" Splatoon music, the victory theme is "iconic" as well, and the victory theme works perfectly.

NotLiquid

Can someone explain what the ~insiders~ were saying was going to happen/be revealed?

Roger suggested a number of weeks ago from a source that we were due for some major Nintendo related news in the coming weeks (which neatly tied into a lot of other things such as the DeNA account stuff, first mobile game announcement, Twilight Princess HD leak, NNID maintenance, Nintendo investor meeting, general information drought etc) and a few people who also found out about this source said that it also concerned a Smash newcomer, though initially Roger denied this being explicitly about Smash. The source said the info was going to be dropped before 23rd. Most people assumed it was going to be Splatoon because the insiders suggested it was a first party character that would cause a lot of buzz and make "a whole lot of sense for a whole lot of reasons".

True enough; we are getting a Splatoon update that rehauls a boatload of weapons and might be preparing for a new content rollout, but despite patch notes it's still been really quiet from Nintendo (which even setting aside this rumor as a whole doesn't make sense due to how much stuff they're sitting on right now), so it's becoming a cause of doubt.

Dr. Buni

That doesn't make sense. Mario's 1-1 theme is more iconic than the victory music, but the point is that the victory theme is iconic as well. The same is true of Splatoon (well, as iconic as music in a brand new franchise can get). Even if Splattack is the most "iconic" Splatoon music, the victory theme is "iconic" as well, and the victory theme works perfectly.
If you say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom