• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Zubz

Banned
This isn't iconic? Those first notes are music to your ears after beating a gym leader.

And the Zelda fanfare is a victory theme from the series, not the main theme.

I mean, honestly, when it comes to Pokémon music, nothing beats the first theme of the show, but you only hear that music 8 times, and it's hours apart. The title screen music is there every time you turn on the game, and I'd argue it's more memorable as a result.

And true, but the Melee fanfare was the main theme, and it's the GOAT fanfare. Still screwed that up, though; my bad!

Either way, the only fanfare I really dislike is Sonic's. I mean, I know it's a remix of the S3&K theme that should be used, but they're still using the 06 version 9 years later? Really? And, just like Villager, Mega Man gets a pass because the main theme worked perfectly for him.

Zubz

Banned
It worked perfectly for her because you are already used to Villager's fanfare. It sounds pretty nice, I admit. But Mega Man's should have been something else.
Nice shitposting!

I mean, I think we all expected the Boss Clear theme after his reveal. That'd've worked just fine, too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I'm surprised Megaman's theme isn't Weapon Get.

As for AC, they could have used the completion jingle.

Richie

Every character should have their own victory theme (which may or may not be an actual victory theme, where applicable). If I wasn't at the office I'd totally write up a list for all of 'em.

Still amused at Wario's theme being from a then-unreleased game, and from his sub-franchise that's referenced the least in Smash, to boot.

Crayolan

While we're on the topic of pokemon music, how have we never got a remix of the Kanto Champion Theme 4 games in? No idea how we somehow got a Sinnoh Champion remix before any other region.

JoeM86

While we're on the topic of pokemon music, how have we never got a remix of the Kanto Champion Theme 4 games in? No idea how we somehow got a Sinnoh Champion remix before any other region.

Sinnoh Champion music is commonly remixed. Kanto's is too but is only really heard by the actual World Champion and runner up.

Compared to the Sinnoh Champion one which has appeared in several games as well as having this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhOikfcqDg

Because we needed a new D/P wild Pokemon remix despite one already existing that was better than the new remix.

Dr. Buni

Gen IV is the best gen and Cynthia is hands down the best champion the series ever had. I am glad we got her themes remixed instead of more Gen I stuff.

smash_updated_by_neoriceisgood-d9ds01x.png

I finished updating the sprites for all the regular smash fighters.

Might post a proper comparison of the old and new sprites later.

for those curious about the changes you can find the old ones in this pic: http://neoriceisgood.deviantart.com/art/SSB4-DLC-533458837

Ryce

Still amused at Wario's theme being from a then-unreleased game, and from his sub-franchise that's referenced the least in Smash, to boot.
I'm still really confused by Wario's jingle. It's assumed to be based on the Shake It! song, but it also shows up in Kentaro Ishizaka's Waluigi's Pinball remix, arranged in the style of WarioWare. Why would Ishizaka include a flourish from 2008's Shake It! in a song he made back in 2006/07? For that matter, why would Sakurai choose a song from an unreleased Wario Land to represent WarioWare Wario? I feel like the flourish might have originated in one of the WarioWare games, but I'm not familiar enough with the series to identify it.

Golnei

in my ideal world every victory theme would be an actual victory theme

mario maker was much better with selection than smash imo

Some of the original fanfares are worthwhile additions - Dark Pit and Shulk's in particular - but I would like it if more actual victory themes made it in. Character-specific fanfares would probably help a lot in that regard, especially if they resort to direct rips (as with Rosalina) for most of them.

Crayolan

Sinnoh Champion music is commonly remixed. Kanto's is too but is only really heard by the actual World Champion and runner up.

Compared to the Sinnoh Champion one which has appeared in several games as well as having this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhOikfcqDg

Woah that video's cool.

And yeah I know they redo both themes in the pokemon games a lot, but I want the Kanto Champion theme redone for smash specifically. I'd love to hear what direction a smash composer could take that song in, it'd be so good. :(

Because we needed a new D/P wild Pokemon remix despite one already existing that was better than the new remix.

It kills me that they could be bothered to re-remix a lackluster theme such as this yet couldn't rip any of the best BW2 songs...Colress, Iris, Ghetsis, SOMETHING.

Route 23 remix was nice but not as good as the Route 10 remix which really deserved it. I wish that could've been replaced with a remix of one of the above themes.

JoeM86

Woah that video's cool.

And yeah I know they redo both themes in the pokemon games a lot, but I want the Kanto Champion theme redone for smash specifically. I'd love to hear what direction a smash composer could take that song in, it'd be so good. :(

Coolest thing is that the guy on the keyboard is Pokémon series Director Junichi Masuda and also composed it.

They actually performed it live at Worlds 2011. It's an iconic track for sure.

It kills me that they could be bothered to re-remix a lackluster theme such as this yet couldn't rip any of the best BW2 songs...Colress, Iris, Ghetsis, SOMETHING.

Route 23 remix was nice but not as good as the Route 10 remix which really deserved it. I wish that could've been replaced with a remix of one of the above themes.

HG/SS rips. Or even maybe a Gold/Silver remix...

Gold and Silver has one song in Smash. ONE. A medley of a couple battle themes that's existed since Melee. It was Pichu's theme, that's how old it is!

Golnei

Rosalina's isn't a rip.

Really? I guess that makes it significantly less plausible, then.

Though if they continue to not update established fanfares with the next game, hopefully a few more existing characters will receive their own.

Richie

I'm still really confused by Wario's jingle. It's assumed to be based on the Shake It! song, but it also shows up in Kentaro Ishizaka's Waluigi's Pinball remix, arranged in the style of WarioWare. Why would Ishizaka include a flourish from 2008's Shake It! in a song he made back in 2006/07? For that matter, why would Sakurai choose a song from an unreleased Wario Land to represent WarioWare Wario? I feel like the flourish might have originated in one of the WarioWare games, but I'm not familiar enough with the series to identify it.

Mind freakin' blown, had no idea the jingle appeared in the remix. Awesome touch from Ishizaka. I thought the song may have had Ware origins also, but I've seen nothing on that front, and after 7 years of Brawl's release, you'd think something would have been discovered by now. It's a very oddball, random decision, which makes me love it all the more.

Crayolan

Gen IV is the best gen and Cynthia is hands down the best champion the series ever had. I am glad we got her themes remixed instead of more Gen I stuff.

Everything about this post is wrong.

And the smash remix is probably the worst rendition of her theme yet.

Crayolan

That we don't have an Elite 4 theme (not even a rip!) on an Elite 4 stage is pretty hilarious.

Unfortunate considering they had two amazing E4 themes to choose from in the most recent 2 gens.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This is actually more interesting than Inklings nonsense.

Because I have a hunch (along with a lot of people) that Tamaki's source is actually from Amazon, based on them selling DLC codes.

Amazon leaked the stage builder and master/crazy orders as well.
Speaking of Tamaki, he was in the last Nintendo Week podcast. Nothing new, but from what he said the people at Nintendo are very impressed with Shovel Knight as a character. Supposedly they were the ones that approached YCG to make the amiibo and not backwards as had been assumed.

EDIT: Added a URL. The pertinent information is after the 42 minute mark.

lol what if Nintendo buys Yacht Club Games, and SK becomes a first/second party character.

No longer would the "it's just an indie!" excuse apply.

So my prediction that "leakers don't know shit" holds true.

Eh, Shovel Knight still seems entirely plausible.

At this point I'd be incredibly surprised if Inklings see the light of day this week.

Oh yeah, the Shovel Knight thing is still on, but Roger spewing nonsense that gets out of control sounds about right.

That said, is Tamaki still committed to Shovel Knight being revealed within the month? Because time's running out on that too.

NotLiquid

Still find it likely that we'll get both Shovel Knight and Inklings at some point due to Nintendo really wanting that longevity on the game with the former having some veritable sources implying something and the latter just being a given. I don't see anyone being "saved" for a Smash 5 as they're riding this train high.

Interesting that Tamaki knew about the Splatoon rumor though. How did we never notice those tweets?

Black Friday is a little over a month away. They have to have an announcement at some point.
Well yes, but I'm speaking directly about Tamaki's initial leak, that Shovel Knight was to be revealed within the next two months back in late August. What's the deal here? Was that actually part of the leak or was that his own prediction?

I mean, technically, we can still have a Splatoon Direct this week.

If they ship all the content tomorrow, they can unlock it whenever they want.

But seems extremely unlikely at this point, and I guess Roger's information was bad.

Well yes, but I'm speaking directly about Tamaki's initial leak, that Shovel Knight was to be revealed within the next two months back in late August. What's the deal here? Was that actually part of the leak or was that his own prediction?

Did he specifically say two months or "a couple"

"A couple" is kind of loose, and there's some wiggle room for it to maybe go all the way to December.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The actual wording in his Shovel Knight video is "According to the rumour (which, I will remind you is being backed up by numerous sources of the industry), the character is currently expected to be announced over the next month or two".

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It can be second-party just like Gamefreak. Though why would Nintendo want Yacht Club?
GameFreak works on Pokémon almost exclusively. They may make a HarmoKnight or a Tembo every once in a while, but the point is that YCG left WayForward due to lack of freedom. WayForward used to work on lots of licenced games.

I'm generally pretty iffy on any rumor that claims to know when Nintendo intends to do anything. Even when everything seems to be lining up, they're completely unpredictable.

I think Tamaki's sources shrank down to one regarding Shovel Knight for Smash, I think most of the others were corroborating the amiibo.

In general I think the Shovel Knight stuff is a lot more substantial than Roger's nonsense but I'm still very skeptical. I think there are a few wires crossed here.

NotLiquid

I mean, technically, we can still have a Splatoon Direct this week.

If they ship all the content tomorrow, they can unlock it whenever they want.

But seems extremely unlikely at this point, and I guess Roger's information was bad.

Yeah future content needs to be detailed for Splatoon I imagine since they really don't have much left, like, at all, except for a few weapons (which makes balancing so early rather suspect). Plus 23rd as a speculative announce date makes some sense since content rollouts go down on the weekends. It's going to get datamined either way but since they know this by now it makes little sense that they haven't capitalized on the details sooner.

That last part is especially a huge "why would Nintendo do that" to which the only sensible answer is; there really might not have been anything else to it. So really, I'm starting to doubt whether there will even be anything found in the update, and yeah as much as I feared, the info must have been wrong.

Maybe next time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Music is one of the most depressing things about Smash. It's so great and yet so many missed opportunities.

I loved the part where the only new Metroid Prime song they included in the game was from Hunters and then they included two songs(?) from Other M that weren't the Ridley theme. Also, Metroid Prime 3 having no music at all is the greatest and not at all a horrible miscalculation.

EDIT: Also, they removed one of the four Metroid Prime songs from Brawl (and it was the best one?!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom