• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
I still think it's a crime that there are only 2 Sonic remixes. And that they're from Brawl and Generations instead of being original. Then there's the flat-out sin of butchering Melee's DK Rap remix...

Not to mention the loss of Sonic Boom and Molgera, Ryu not coming with Guile's Theme, Ryu vs. Akuma, or any of Akuma's themes (The lack of 3S music is also disappointing, but not unexpected), 8 DK Island Swing remixes when DK arguably has the best selection of music outside of Sonic, only 2 new Metroid remixes...

Like, the game's OST is legend-tier, but it's somewhat trifling at points. It's weird.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They removed the Sonic R songs but kept Seven Rings in Hand. Pretty sure there's a UN treaty against such crimes.

There are around just as many Mario remixes in this game as there were in Brawl but so many of the other series have absolutely paltry numbers of them in comparison.

I don't like the way they removed the original if they made a new remix. They did that to a ton of songs, even if the original is objectively better.

06W6bwb.png

So roughly one week until "over the next month or two" are over. On top of that, the deadline for Rogersbase's stuff is the 23rd. By next week, we will have no more rumors to talk about.

I'm going to give the Shovel Knight rumor a few additional weeks. "In a month or two" doesn't really seem like he was saying down the exact day, but more a general time frame.

Zubz

Banned
So roughly one week until "over the next month or two" are over. On top of that, the deadline for Rogersbase's stuff is the 23rd. By next week, we will have no more rumors to talk about.

Don't worry, we'll find some new fake to sink our teeth into!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Shovel Knight rumour I give 1%. 1% because it has a chance but something nags at me that it's an idea that has just gained traction because he's a hot topic at the moment. I mean, going by a lot of the reasons people give for him you could argue Jett Rocket is an even more appropriate indie rep considering Shin'en's long history with Nintendo. But if one started a Jett Rocket rumour I doubt it would go far.

Of course I want to avoid the traps of 'appropriateness for Smash', 'patterns', 'reasons to be', that always result in a backfire, but Shovel Knight really is a case of I need to see it to believe it and I ain't currently seeing it.

Remember the two big Smash leaks had something backing them up. Gematsu had the E3 reveals and ESRB had all those images. Shovel Knight has sources. Big whoop.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know Google is a thing right?

I just didn't think vehicle from FAST or block from Art of Balance would work as fighters.

~sees there's a Mario Tennis Ultra Smash trailer called "Look who's on the court!"~
OMG, OMG, OMG. Smash hints? Will they add someone crazy who's never been in these games like Inkling, Ashley or something? Surely that name hints at something?!?!
~watches and sees Daisy, Waluigi and Big Boo~
oh...

I'm on this bizarre hype cycle where every time Nintendo announces anything character related anywhere I get intrigued then they just show nothing of interest and I remember I'm not expecting any of the DLC to actually appeal to me anyhoo outside of maybe Inkling I'm lucky :/

There are around just as many Mario remixes in this game as there were in Brawl but so many of the other series have absolutely paltry numbers of them in comparison.
They could've seriously just ported over like half of the music from Sonic Generations/Tropical Freeze/Championship Edition DX+ tracks but didn't.

Golnei

Music is one of the most depressing things about Smash. It's so great and yet so many missed opportunities.

It really is. I'm not going to go on yet another rant about all the opportunities this game missed, but now you've brought it up again, I'll make sure to look appropriately disappointed for the next hour or so.

Masked Man

I said wow
It really is. I'm not going to go on yet another rant about all the opportunities this game missed, but now you've brought it up again, I'll make sure to look appropriately disappointed for the next hour or so.

It's because Shogo Sakai wasn't a part of the team this time.

Golnei

I missed his contributions, but I actually feel like the biggest issue here was the selection of direct rips and which music was chosen to be rearranged, not the quality of the new arrangements. The next game desperately needs to focus more on curating the soundtrack as a whole.

They can't sell the music. An option to put our own music after unlocking all of the tracks in the game would be ace, though.

They can't sell the entire soundtrack due to licensing issues; but selling new music ingame which they do have the license for would be no different to including new remixes with DLC stages, something they already do.

kirby_fox

Banned
They finally smarten up with files, like they did with Smash Bros.

I bet we won't be able to see much on the server now either. All the hacking is over guys, they hid the stuff so they can surprise people again with last minute announcements.

Now I expect a Smash Bros. update out of nowhere that only includes a few fixes that we can see, but in reality has all the DLC stuff in it.

I find it a little weird how they practically got every Nintendo composer to sign on for arrangements...except for the HAL Lab guys. I'd love to see Shogo Sakai and co. return!

I really wish Sakurai would have included music packs as part of DLC or given us an option to include our own music.

i've always wished for the latter.

I do wonder how custom music would loop, though.

I missed his contributions, but I actually feel like the biggest issue here was the selection of direct rips and which music was chosen to be rearranged, not the quality of the new arrangements. The next game desperately needs to focus more on curating the soundtrack as a whole.

Eeeeyup.

Richie

They can't sell the entire soundtrack due to licensing issues; but selling new music ingame which they do have the license for would be no different to including new remixes with DLC stages, something they already do.

Trueché.

Quoting your first paragraph too because I fully agree with it. It's like Sakurai feels each series' most iconic music NEEDS a brand new remix in each game, and while I can see the reasoning behind, it only leads to us having 5835 different versions of the same old tunes. The My Music for Dreamland 64 is excellent in its diversity and the direct rips chosen; the Mario and Zelda 64 stages are painfully uninspired in comparison. Why not something from Hyrule Warriors in Hyrule Castle, why not Galaxy/3D World stuff in Peach's Castle? 5 out of 6 tracks in Castle are remixes of Zelda's main theme, come oooon.

Masked Man

I said wow

Yeah, and Sakai-san was largely responsible for helping ensure that variety for Brawl, as I understand it. Maybe the sound director for 3DS/Wii U didn't realize that remixing the exact same track over and over was a bad idea.

I find it a little weird how they practically got every Nintendo composer to sign on for arrangements...except for the HAL Lab guys. I'd love to see Shogo Sakai and co. return!

Well, he had already signed on to compose for Kirby's Rainbow Curse, so I think that prevented him from devoting any time to Smash. I also think he had more than enough "fun" working under Sakurai on Brawl, lol.

Golnei

Yeah, and Sakai-san was largely responsible for helping ensure that variety for Brawl, as I understand it. Maybe the sound director for 3DS/Wii U didn't realize that remixing the exact same track over and over was a bad idea.

Well, he had already signed on to compose for Kirby's Rainbow Curse, so I think that prevented him from devoting any time to Smash. I also think he had more than enough "fun" working under Sakurai on Brawl, lol.

I had no idea he had that much of a hand in Brawl's selection, other statements made it seem more like something worked out between Sakurai and the individual composers. In any case, I hope whoever was responsible for the pitiful mire of redundancy in SSB4 heavily reconsiders their priorities.

Also, speaking of Rainbow Curse; some of its remixes of music from previous Kirby games would have fit perfectly into Smash. Even if it came out too late for inclusion in the base game; a few rips would have been a nice addition to Dreamland 64.

Sonic Heroes is considered an iconic song that even shows up in random Sonic games where it has no business appearing. It's cheesy, but catchy.

I dislike that they removed the original version or the original remix for stuff if they made a new remix. Except for the times when they didn't.

Great Sea, Yoshi's Island, and even Jungle Japes died for new remixes, while Gerudo Valley, Star Wolf (despite the character not even appearing!), Dark World and a couple others get all the remixes they want, along with including the originals.

For reference, of the 5 Zelda stages in Smash 4 Wii U, 4 of them have a version of Dark World on them. And yet we can't have two versions of the Great Sea, even if the original was better. Nor can we have three Yoshi's Island remixes (of the same song) because of reasons. Jungle Hijinx can have 8 different versions of the same song, except for one version of the song (that's fully orchestrated btw). I mean, you're including 8 versions already... why not throw in the one with the highest sound quality...

There were also some pretty strange song cuts

- Gritzy Desert. Was inexplicably cut for who knows what reason, despite working just fine on basically any Mario or Yoshi stage. For the first time ever, Smash got a bunch of Mario RPG music, and yet the first Mario RPG song to ever appear in Smash was cut...
- Underground from Mushroomy Kingdom appears on the 3DS, yet isn't anywhere on the Wii U. They couldn't even throw it onto Mario Maker or Peach's Castle for some reason.
- Fountain of Dreams was held back for the clearly planned ahead of time Dreamland (it's obvious based on a number of factors), and that's kind of sneaky.
- Humoresque of a Little Dog is in all three Mother games, and yet was cut. It works perfectly on Onett, Onett is the first place the majority of people first heard the song. I realize there's some licensing junk with Mother music... but seriously.
- I would have rather had the DK Rap cut entirely than what ended up happening, The lyrics to the song are far too iconic to be messed with like that. And low and behold some other songs didn't have to deal with arbitrary time restrictions (Fountain of Dreams is still in its 3+ minute glory).
- Yoshi Story 64 is on Yoshi's Island Melee, a stage that's entirely unrelated and it doesn't really work well. I would have rather had the Mario 3 Medley on Yoshi's Island, Mushroomy Kingdom doesn't necessarily need it, and it works better on YI:M.
- Nintendo whips off Delfino Plaza remixes for minor one off hidden stages in Mario 64 DS, but can't make any Mario Sunshine remix at all for the game that literally has the most iconic location in the game as a full level (and a decently popular level at that) and its main villain as a new comer.
- Mario Maker's song list is downright silly. It actually had 5 songs, standard for a DLC stage, without drowning the stage in filler music from games that never even appear in Mario Maker.
- There shouldn't have been any music that appeared on the 3DS, but not the Wii U. This includes the GB Dreamland medley, Lumiose City, and Underground. I think those are the only three, so it's not like they'd be breaking the file size by making sure Smash 4 Wii U has all the music of Smash 4.
- There are far too many remixes for stuff that already had remixes. Dark World, Jungle Hijinx, the Legend of Zelda main theme and the Mario ground theme did not need any new remixes at all. Brawl pulled some fairly obscure songs to remix, and this game seems to play it really safe with the songs they chose to remix.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still feel annoyed that a Star Wolf music is being used yet Wolf isn't there. That's like a breach of contract.

I actually thought of a rather interesting issue they have going forward with Brawl ports.

So on the store page for Pirate Ship, it actually mentions that Pirate Ship comes with new music. This is technically correct. If you don't own Hyrule Castle, buying Pirate Ship gives you Termina Field and the Zelda Medley.

However, this poses a problem. In the future, if a Brawl stage isn't a Mario, Kirby or Zelda stage, there really isn't any "new" music they could grab and sell as coming with the stage.

It's something that I think would actually get them to ship at least one song for a stage. Frigate Orpheon, for example, couldn't have that bullet point. However, Planet Zebes 64 and Metroid Prime Title Screen are there to easily be ripped.

If they want to continue to sell that DLC stages come with new music as a bullet point (which I feel they would), then their hand is kind of forced. Luckily, every potential stage port from Brawl has music not in Smash 4 (either from Brawl, Melee or 64), so they can easily just grab those songs.

NotLiquid

Man the awkward inclusion of Sonic tracks in this game makes me remember how Sega really wanted to push Sonic 4's god awful theme song as the "Super Sonic" theme going into Sonic Generations. That game ended on a whimper in every way. Thank god they didn't actually include any Sonic 4 music in Smash 4 at least.

So it was nothing for Splatoon huh?

Not so much nothing as much as it is the incredibly minimal gear additions/animation updates/trace amounts of new stage NPCs, gimmicks and content implying that they've learned to hide stuff and want to announce additions on their own accord. Wouldn't surprise me if they're planning to throw in another update by the end of the year.

NotLiquid

It's kind of surprising how the Mario & Sonic games have actually been pretty inspired in terms of soundtrack and even some visual design cues. The dream events in those games are always interesting.

Looking at who owns the rights to Smash 4's new music is kind of scary for the future, as someone who enjoys all Smash music returning.

If Smash 5 isn't made by Namco, expect MASSIVE cuts to music. Namco owns at least a a third of the compositions in the game.

Javier

My biggest disappointment regarding music was the fact we got a stage based on Pac-Land but no Pac-Land Main Theme. Yes, I am aware it's an extended remix of the theme song from the old Hanna-Barbera cartoon so there's probably a ton of legal issues involved, but... I wanted it, dammit, I wanted it.

sonic heroes is quite possibly the worst song ever

And while music redundancy is a problem, the new Dark World arrangement is so damn good that I don't mind it.

Golnei

And while music redundancy is a problem, the new Dark World arrangement is so damn good that I don't mind it.

At least that also incorporated the dungeon theme. But since we're talking about the Dark World theme; my problem there isn't just with the new remix; (which is great, but Okabe would have been used better elsewhere - imagine his version of a Majora's Mask medley prominently featuring the Deku Palace theme and/or Oath to Order, preferably with him also providing vocals) but the inexplicable addition of ALBW's version of the Dark World theme; neglecting not only that game's standout original theme, Lorule Castle, but missing the opportunity to finally include the Hyrule Castle theme in the form of that game's arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom