• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PtM

Banned
I'm guessing you haven't heard. Sadly, third party character votes won't count.
Eh, at least it might fall through the first cracks, since I mentioned a Nintendo game. If I'm going to vote, then on something I know what to expect of.

Ryce

So at E3 you think we'll see 1 or 2 new dlc character trailers? My gutt would say Wolf and a newcomer will be shown off
My baseless guess is that we'll see a newcomer trailer at E3, with the character releasing in August. E3 is a big deal and the best place to reveal a newcomer. Wolf is definitely coming, but I don't know if they'd want to reveal him at E3 four months before a prospective October release (near the Star Fox U launch). They might save Wolf's trailer for an August/September Direct.

April - Mewtwo
June - Lucas
August - Newcomer
October - Wolf

I feel really confident about that for some reason. I'd be pleasantly surprised with more than four DLC characters, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kriken

^ man and that's this thread alone?

That poll must be like

chaos-anchorman-o.gif

I feel bad for whichever intern has to sort out the thousands of Shrek and Goku votes to find legitimate votes

Azure J

I feel bad for whichever intern has to sort out the thousands of Shrek and Goku votes to find legitimate votes

Haha. Then again, I imagine the banter on the inside must be pretty great when they sort through things wondering "what is wrong with these guys?"

FZZ

Banned
Truthfully speaking even though I voted for Ridley I wouldn't mind the following: Bayonetta, King K. Rool, Paper Mario, or Geno.

All deserve a chance to win. But anything else imo is just not going to be coo to playl i.e Wonder Red is boring af.

I wonder if we'll ever find out how many votes Goku truly got.

I wonder if he'll actually manage to be in the top 5, assuming they even bother to count votes for Goku.

Don't kill my dreams. :'(

Still have a strong feeling Magicant will be upscaled for the Wii U version.

Really? I've long given up on that hope. What makes you think that will still happen?

So at E3 you think we'll see 1 or 2 new dlc character trailers? My gutt would say Wolf and a newcomer will be shown off

I'm thinking just Wolf at E3, along with the formal Star Fox Wii U reveal. It feels too soon for another DLC character announcement (assuming Wolf happens at E3), let alone a newcomer. But that's just me!

Ahnez

I wonder if he'll actually manage to be in the top 5, assuming they even bother to count votes for Goku.
I'm sure every time they see an invalid character, they will just run an algorithm to remove all instances of said character.. :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It'd be nice if we were able to unlock exclusive trophies for using the DLC characters in different modes.

Classic: DLC Mewtwo trophy
All-Star: DLC Mewtwo Final Smash Trophy
Challenge: DLC Challenge #1: "Mewtwo Strikes Back!" - DLC CD: "Mewtwo's Theme"

that would be great.

Wolf and Snake/Chorus Kids/Dixie would be fantastic duo to be announced at E3.

I'm offended.

Good. :|

L Thammy

I'm sure you guys realize this, but just to be certain: these votes are probably going to be in a database. It should be a simple matter to pull up the number of votes for a certain character, sort the character names by number of votes, delete all the votes with a certain name, and so on. The annoying thing would be fixing all the typos and alternate spellings (Goku, Son Gokuu, SSJ Goku) but you should be able to correct those en masse as well.

Really? I've long given up on that hope. What makes you think that will still happen?
There's still the Flying Man trophy in the Wii U version for no real reason. Beyond that, it'd make sense as an easy DLC stage for the Wii U version. A lot easier than some of the other past stages that get tossed around.

Neoxon

I'm gonna go with Wolf at E3, but I wouldn't expect a character from the poll until sometime next year. Mainly because between Late October 2014 & last week they were working on both Mewtwo & Lucas. Mewtwo was finished last week, so I take it they just started development on Wolf (going on the assumption that he's coming next). Given this logic, if we get Wolf, don't expect him until June, & we may get more characters in August & October that are independent of the poll.

hiryu64

Up to this point, every Pokemon representative has been a Pokemon, so why not break tradition and add a human representative?

285px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Sabrina.png

The Saffron City Gym Leader and actress Sabrina would be an excellent choice. A well-known and popular character, her powerful psychic abilities allow her to fight without the aid of Pokemon. Give her moves like Light Screen, Psybeam, and Teleport, or come up with something completely different and unconventional.

She has multiple costumes, too.

seems cool. but I hope custom moves for the dlc fighters are unlocked from the beginning. (or a specific grind at least)

Yeah actually extra challenges and unlocks would certainly add more value to character DLC. I don't think the character DLC is expensive or anything, but it'd be good.

Every character in the game has a challenge currently (even the Miis!), Doc has 2 for some reason.

So yea, I hope the new comers get some new challenges and events. Even if they're entirely unrelated to the DLC, not all 10 challenges or whatever should deal with Mewtwo.

A good opportunity to add some more music as well. I'd love for Mewtwo to come with VS Primal Groudon/Primal Kyogre for Kalos League.

Everyone saying Goku is a horrible person. I kid, of course, but that character doesn't belong anywhere near the Smash Bros. roster.

Me? I voted for Simon Belmont. A wasted vote I'm sure, but I honestly can't think of any character I'd like to see more.

I had this same thought word for word today. I've been that intern before and it can make you go mental shifting through thousands of anything.

Whatever excel sheet they are having them use has probably become the bane of their existence, and this continues until October

Incidentally the "we've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP" showed itself just this week with DK64's VC release (in Japan). The Jetpac ROM, a Microsoft IP, is fully intact as it was in the original.

Ryce

I’m bored, so here are my top four requests (barring Ice Climbers, for technical reasons)…

gfhtu9P.png

First Appearance: Rhythm Heaven (2008) | Latest Appearance: Rhythm Tengoku: The Best + (2015)

I did the “honest” thing by taking the survey just once, with my vote being cast for the Chorus Kids. Rhythm Heaven is the most significant Nintendo franchise without a playable character in Smash Bros., and I’ve really grown to like the Chorus Kids. They’re goofy and charming, and I could easily envision their move set bringing out the best of Rhythm Heaven.

mlxfBVQ.png

First Appearance: Star Fox 64 (1997) | Latest Appearance: Star Fox U (2015) [assumed]

Wolf is the last remaining plausible veteran, and he was one of my most used characters in Brawl. With Star Fox U on the horizon, I’d be shocked if we didn’t get Wolf at some point.

5HLTbso.png

First Appearance: Donkey Kong Country 2 (1995) | Latest Appearance: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2014)

Dixie Kong is one of Nintendo’s earliest female protagonists, and she recently appeared as a playable character in Tropical Freeze. Donkey Kong could use another representative, and I’d much rather have Dixie than K. Rool. And no, she’s not a Diddy clone.

JYT97oR.png

First Appearance: Splatoon (2015)

Splatoon is a new EAD game with a significant internal push (amiibo!), and it looks incredibly fun to boot. The Inklings are tailor-made for Smash Bros. with their colorful personalities and variety of ink-based weaponry.

SmithnCo

After seeing Mega Man and Pac Man, I can see Sakurai would go with original design.

Probably, he has done a good job with that.

Incidentally the "we've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP" showed itself just this week with DK64's VC release (in Japan). The Jetpac ROM, a Microsoft IP, is fully intact as it was in the original.

Sweet, I was wondering if there would be any changes.

JYT97oR.png

First Appearance: Splatoon (2015)

Splatoon is a new EAD game with a significant internal push (amiibo!), and it looks incredibly fun to boot. The Inklings are tailor-made for Smash Bros. with their colorful personalities and variety of ink-based weaponry.

You think Nintendo would use Smash to promote new games? That feels very "Playstation All Stars" to me. Aside from Roy, (IIRC the FE game he was in had not been released yet when Smash came out), I can't remember if they've done that before.

Not that it would be a bad choice, I just always saw Smash as somewhat hollow ground saved for older/well loved franchises?

Dad

You think Nintendo would use Smash to promote new games? That feels very "Playstation All Stars" to me. Aside from Roy, (IIRC the FE game he was in had not been released yet when Smash came out), I can't remember if they've done that before.

Not that it would be a bad choice, I just always saw Smash as somewhat hollow ground saved for older/well loved franchises?

Don't forget the Yoshi's Woolly World stage.

Ryce

I don't think Inkling would be included to promote Splatoon -- the character would probably be finished by late 2015/early 2016 at best, which is a little late to be considered cross-promotion. Splatoon has all the makings of a classic Nintendo IP, even if it doesn't top the sales chart. It feels like this gen's Pikmin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom