• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're probably never getting a fully orchestrated soundtrack again so I'm fine with the quantity. The only thing that bothers me is the odd omissions.

I do wish they'd pick a decent number of songs and orchestrate them tho. I'm obsessed with orchestrated game music.

Golnei

We're probably never getting a fully orchestrated soundtrack again so I'm fine with the quantity. The only thing that bothers me is the odd omissions.

I do wish they'd pick a decent number of songs and orchestrate them tho. I'm obsessed with orchestrated game music.

I more or less agree - the Brawl/4 template of "new arrangements, as much music as possible from previous games and some direct rips to pad it out" is probably the best way to deal with representing a selection of franchises this large; but the actual choices leave a lot to be desired.

And one or two live orchestrations would definitely have been a great addition - even Brawl had some. At least there a were a few more arrangements using live elements for 4, most notably with the vocal arrangements and HIDEHIDE ensemble covers. A shame they couldn't use the Mario & Zelda Big Band performance of the Smash Bros. Medley...

Even Melee used some game rips to pad out music. Mushroom Kingdom I and II, along with Icicle Mountain had game rips.

Heck, Smash 64 had Mushroom Kingdom, which used a ripped song.

That's probably why I'm not really all that bothered by them using game rips. I enjoy those songs, so having them on levels I think are appropriate for them is nice.

Pokemaniac

Pretty sure I've done that. All my remaining challenges are on the top two rows.

I'm pretty sure there was a Zelda song.

Upon closer examination, I couldn't find any songs which were only listed under Pirate Ship. There must have been a random Zelda CD drop that I didn't have yet (still missing a few of those).

Gee, I disagree completely. To me it's Brawl/Smash 4 > 64 > Melee. Melee's OST just wasn't as memorable to me.

Perhaps it's a fondness for Melee, but I gotta love Smashing... Live! To me, Melee just felt like they had a better focus on the songs, whereas a lot of the best songs in Brawl and Smash 4, for me, are just ripped from other games.

PK Gaming

Things I miss from 64

-The electrocution effect. Really, really loved seeing a character's bone structure
- 3, 2, 1 GO!
-MARIO's voice clips
-Ness's down air sound effect
-FalconPUNCH
-The opening. Best opening
-The gut-bustling hilarious videos on the smash 64 website
-METAL MARIO and his theme
-The face the Mario Bros. make after they throw a fireball
-Mushroom Kingdom
-STARMIE
-Clefairy being the metronome Pokemon and not that goober Togepi
-Saffron city but that should go without saying
-Star KO voice clips were generally waaaay better (MARIO's is especially good)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Perhaps it's a fondness for Melee, but I gotta love Smashing... Live! To me, Melee just felt like they had a better focus on the songs, whereas a lot of the best songs in Brawl and Smash 4, for me, are just ripped from other games.

But Smashing… Live is not the Melee OST, it's a concert performance of the Melee OST. I'm sure if they had concerts to play a selection of Brawl or Smash 4/5 tracks they would sound just as good.

J@hranimo

Banned
Once you let go of you're expectations of another Direct this year, then the wait for Smash updates gets easier. As I thought before, we're still getting news for upcoming games it's just the videos are sporadic in their releases. Smash's time will come :)

NotLiquid

I really don't think we're getting anything. I'm convinced it's not happening.

However, I did speculate earlier today why that rumor might have been plausible. It's kind of clear that right now, for the time being, we're not going to get any general Directs. We've gotten two Mario Tennis trailers, Tri Force Heroes info has been dropping left and right and we've gotten a bunch of info on stuff like Yo-Kai Watch. The weird "thread" I found to be consistent in all of this is how this only started after the rumor originated, which was specified as a Splatoon Direct. Why would the rumor be so specific about it when it'd almost be even safer to assume a few weeks ago that any information we'd get around this time would be in a general-purpose Direct?

And the weird thing is, we did get an update for Splatoon - but it only contained trace data amounts of new content that was going to be added and a lot of it was structured as if most things had been ripped out of it. There's only two or three new pieces of actual gear, and usually when Splatoon gets gear updates it tends to be in a bigger bulk than that. Stage data is in there, including NPCs for them and some details about the gimmicks of them, yet there are no actual models. Only one new weapon is in there and that's actually an unspecified leftover from 2.0.0. On top of that the animation data for Female Inklings (a file which is shared with Octolings) was edited, which is the only animation data in the game that was altered.

So really... I could believe that Nintendo would be planning an information dump for Splatoon. A lot of what's there suggests that we should have gotten more information for that game, both through circumstantial occurrences and the actual data we received, since Nintendo knows that the dataminers tear through the game like hot knife through butter and might want a more controlled environment for details. For that game, I still believe we're going to get another update down the line so to some degree I'd still see the basis of the original supposition. It could very well be delivered in another Splatoon Direct too considering they could present that under the Squid Research guys or even through a Callie / Marie staged segment. It wouldn't have required figuring out how the stage presence was going to be and I think it's one of the only few "Directs" they'd feel comfortable with doing.

But again, at this point I really don't believe the rumor right now as it was presented and whenever we do get another update, I don't believe that Smash will have much to do with it. It'd be a really nice bonus, but at this point it's best to let go any expectations.

Dr. Buni

Once you let go of you're expectations of another Direct this year, then the wait for Smash updates gets easier. As I thought before, we're still getting news for upcoming games it's just the videos are sporadic in their releases. Smash's time will come :)
I want a Direct, but what's important are the news. I don't care if they will announce stuff on a ND, random youtube videos or twitter... As long new stuff is announced.

TDLink

Since April all of the big smash updates have been spaced two months apart, so honestly I never really expected anything in October anyways. It is obvious we are going to get the next batch of DLC next month, in November. And it has been obvious to anyone paying attention to this clear pattern.

I don't know why people wanted to grasp at straws with these attention seeking Twitterers who clearly don't know anything. I think one's a dataminer, but why would they have advance knowledge of Smash anyways? This whole expectation of something the last couple of weeks based on tweets was really stupid.

Still looking forward to the new stuff next month though, as I have been.

NotLiquid

On Reddit, some people are saying Roger never even worked for NOA and that's a total lie.

Is there any proof he worked at NOA?

When someone asked him about whether he did work there, his response was that he didn't figure it was common knowledge as bringing that detail up was something that a person would only find out through his LinkedIn profile.

EDIT:

Roger DiLuigi III ‏@RogersBase Oct 21 California, USA
@J_Smash_Bros I'm not even a Nintendo employee, I was a demonstrator for them back in 2012. It's crazy what people will say for headlines.

So yeah, while he did work for them at some point people completely misrepresented what that work was.

NotLiquid

Oh ok, so why did we even bother paying attention to him?

A crazy mix of coincidences lining up neatly and the notion that even some of the more dubious industry dudes have sources that might be right once every blue moon, seeing how he wasn't the only one who got the info.

But the easiest answer is we were all just too desperate for some news.

That's a good question! Why did you even bother to paying attention to them in first place?

I was told he was a former NOA employee and Inklings made a lot of sense combined with stuff like the Twilight Princess HD leak and Octolings. When I heard "NOA Employee" I thought he was a translator or something.

I didn't know it was because he gave random marketing talks or whatever. That's like the Nintendo rep at Toys R Us knowing future Smash DLC lol.

NotLiquid

So wait, did he claim to be a former NoA employee? Or did someone decide to embellish a small detail?

He never claimed it. I think a member here claimed it (Neoxon, I think?), or at least the knowledge came from somewhere else, and I guess all of us ended believing it. The only thing I remember him saying when reading back then was him responding to some tweets where he was confused about people even knowing he had any involvement with NoA. Either way, he was never flaunting himself.

Platy

Because hyping stupid shit that is most likely fake is what the Smash community does best.

DM4v0Q1.jpg

Should be the only thing in the smash dlc OP

I had no idea he had that much of a hand in Brawl's selection, other statements made it seem more like something worked out between Sakurai and the individual composers. In any case, I hope whoever was responsible for the pitiful mire of redundancy in SSB4 heavily reconsiders their priorities.

Also, speaking of Rainbow Curse; some of its remixes of music from previous Kirby games would have fit perfectly into Smash. Even if it came out too late for inclusion in the base game; a few rips would have been a nice addition to Dreamland 64.

This. So very much this.

There's a veritable smorgasbord of remixed Kirby tracks in Rainbow Curse that could have gone into Smash 4 to add some variety. Instead, the actually added ANOTHER remix of Ice Cream Island (and the Adventure Boss theme) as the only new DLC Kirby track.

F-Zero, too. Port Town (any of them) would have been nice, so Wii U's lone F-Zero stage can finally have the songs that go with it.

Golnei

F-Zero, too. Port Town (any of them would be nice), so Wii U's lone F-Zero stage can have the songs that go with it.

As long as Port Town remains the only F-Zero stage in the Wii U version, we likely won't get anything else in the way of music - the lack of any evidence suggesting they'd add new music to an existing stage aside; they've condensed the music from four stages onto it already.

Hopefully we could get some more music if Mute City got the 3DS Duck Hunt treatment or they decided to bring back Big Blue as DLC - but since all the original music for those stages is in the Wii U version already, and it's now established that stages can share music; I wouldn't be surprised if they came with nothing new even if they were made available.

NotLiquid

Green Greens or Fountain Of Dreams would probably just be the easiest choice on Sakurai's part. I'd prefer the latter really, I like to have more tourney viable stages.

I'm tempted to think the only other potential inclusion we might get as Melee DLC is Fourside if only because the Mother representation hasn't been that impressive.

Grotte

Neo Member
I imagine Green Greens would be a high priority Melee stage to bring back as DLC, so there might be another chance for some more Kirby music.

Why do you think so?

I'd argue that it's less like likely because we already had a Kirby DLC stage.
Also since Green Greens and Dreamland both feature Whispy Woods I think they'd choose Fountain of Dreams over it.

Golnei

Green Greens or Fountain Of Dreams would probably just be the easiest choice on Sakurai's part. I'd prefer the latter really, I like to have more tourney viable stages.

Green Greens would be much easier than Fountain of Dreams by virtue of already being in Brawl - it'd be a similar situation to Pirate Ship in that everything that would be required would be an edited Omega stage and any necessary texture/lighting updates; while both FoD and Fourside would need to be converted from scratch with nothing to work off but graphical assets.

It's in Brawl and was an iconic stage from Melee. I think it's second only to Pokemon Stadium as far priorities go, just basing it on popularity and how iconic it was for Melee (or even Brawl for that matter).

FoDs has no chance for a few reasons.

- Has to be entire remade
- Is very complex, especially the rippling mirror effect, but just the stage in general
- Won't work on the 3DS, which is important because if they need to remake the entire stage, is it worth it for one console?

Versus Green Greens
- Can be up ported from Brawl and cleaned up
- Could potentially work on the 3DS, at least in theory
- Only needs a texture pass and an Omega and it's basically good to go

Out of all the Melee stages from Brawl that could be brought back (that aren't already in the 3DS version either) I would prefer Pokemon Stadium the most at this point. There are what, four left--Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens, Big Blue, and Pokemon Stadium. Pokemon Stadium is easily my favorite of the four, and I'd love an actually tolerable Pokemon stage to play on. Kalos and Pokemon Stadium 2 are obnoxious. Plus we could use another Pokemon stage.

Green Greens sucks and I'd be happy to never see it again.

NotLiquid

Don't see anything about FoD that would be complicated to do on 3DS in contrast to a whole bunch of other stages such as when you have Master Core wreaking havoc on Final Destination. They can afford to compromise on some of the visual effects on 3DS if it's that big of a deal. I can see the argument of it being less easy to port it but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom