• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of all the Melee stages from Brawl that could be brought back (that aren't already in the 3DS version either) I would prefer Pokemon Stadium the most at this point. There are what, four left--Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens, Big Blue, and Pokemon Stadium. Pokemon Stadium is easily my favorite of the four, and I'd love an actually tolerable Pokemon stage to play on. Kalos and Pokemon Stadium 2 are obnoxious. Plus we could use another Pokemon stage.

Green Greens sucks and I'd be happy to never see it again.

I'm pretty sure everyone wants Pokemon Stadium the most, as far as Melee stages go.

Don't see anything about FoD that would be complicated to do on 3DS in contrast to a whole bunch of other stages such as when you have Master Core wreaking havoc on Final Destination. They can afford to compromise on some of the visual effects on 3DS if it's that big of a deal.

They had to completely remove the Chozo walking animation, along with turning the entire bottom of Brinstar into a 2D sprite. It looks like garbage on the 3DS. I would have preferred they just not even have a Metroid stage than what they did to Brinstar.

And this is on a stage that appears to be less graphically intense than FoD.

FoDs was the most intensive stage in Melee. There were framerate dips in four player, for example.

And you are wrong, as usual. I want Mushroom Kingdom II the most, followed by Fountain of Dreams. It'd be nice if people would stop speaking for "everyone".

(Of the melee stages that aren't in Smash 4, but are in Brawl)

My most wanted Melee stage is actually Corneria that doesn't look like junk and is on the system I use more. But of the unused Brawl Melee stages, Pokemon Stadium is the most popular.

NotLiquid

They had to completely remove the Chozo walking animation, along with turning the entire bottom of Brinstar into a 2D sprite. It looks like garbage on the 3DS. I would have preferred they just not even have a Metroid stage than what they did to Brinstar.

And this is on a stage that appears to be less graphically intense than FoD.

FoDs was the most intensive stage in Melee. There were framerate dips in four player, for example.

This was largely attributable to the mirroring effects though, and the fact that the stage had uncharacteristically small camera boundary (and blast lines).

I don't disagree that it'd probably look worse but I can easily see how some details could be compromised for it. Maybe I'm just biased though cause I've always been a fan of the stage's gimmick.

Clov

And you are wrong, as usual. I want Mushroom Kingdom II the most, followed by Fountain of Dreams. It'd be nice if people would stop speaking for "everyone".

I'm not the only one who wants Mushroom Kingdom II back! To think Ballad had me convinced I was the only one.

If I could have any Melee stage back period, it would have to be Fourside, followed by Fountain of Dreams. If I had to pick one from the 3DS game... Jungle Japes, followed by Corneria. If it has to be one from Brawl that isn't in the 3DS game... Pokemon Stadium, followed by Big Blue.

Pokemon Stadium is easily my least favorite of those four. Love the other three, but I think I'd choose Big Blue for more franchise variety (and potential new F-Zero music!).

Corner would be nice too, I guess, but I never liked the Melee Star Fox stages that much. Sector Z, plz.

I'm not the only one who wants Mushroom Kingdom II back! To think Ballad had me convinced I was the only one.

If I could have any Melee stage back period, it would have to be Fourside, followed by Fountain of Dreams. If I had to pick one from the 3DS game... Jungle Japes. followed by Corneria. If it has to be one from Brawl that isn't in the 3DS game... Pokemon Stadium, followed by Big Blue.

Convince you you're the only what? You agreed with me lol

I figured following my post right after Mamba's people would assume it was a direct reply to that. Guess I should have quoted it.

Crayolan

I'm pretty sure everyone wants Pokemon Stadium the most, as far as Melee stages go.

I've seen far more requests for both Fountain of Dreams and Pokefloats, so I don't know who this "everyone" you're pretty sure about is.

Pokemon Stadium is easily my least favorite of those four. Love the other three, but I think I'd choose Big Blue for more franchise variety (and potential new F-Zero music!).

Corner would be nice too, I guess, but I never liked the Melee Star Fox stages that much. Sector Z, plz.

Can't wait for Mute City v4.

Clov

Convince you you're the only what? You agreed with me lol

I figured following my post right after Mamba's people would assume it was a direct reply to that. Guess I should have quoted it.

I agreed with you back then because I really did think I was the only person who wanted Mushroom Kingdom II back! Now I know there's slightly more demand than I thought. :p

Fourside is the only Melee stage I want back, and I don't care if it was in Brawl or not, dammit. Make it Wii U exclusive.

It seems unlikely they'd remake an entire complex stage from scratch only to release it on one console. The N64 stages got by because they're all really simple. None of them even have 3D skyboxes or anything like that.

Not that they wouldn't, but if I was delegating resources to make a Melee stage as DLC, ones that required to be entirely remade would not be a big priority, even if they're ultra popular like Fountain of Dreams. DLC stages only sell so much.

I agreed with you back then because I really did think I was the only person who wanted Mushroom Kingdom II back! Now I know there's slightly more demand than I thought. :p

If there was a Melee stage that I feel had a chance, that wasn't from Brawl, it would be Mushroom Kingdom II.

It's a fairly simple stage, and is actually set up more like a 64 stage than the more complex Melee stages. I don't think the 3DS would even break a sweat running the stage.

iirc there's a Melee event that has like 6 tiny Marios on it at the same time on that stage, so it obviously is not graphically intense at all.

NeonZ

Fourside is the only Melee stage I want back, and I don't care if it was in Brawl or not, dammit. Make it Wii U exclusive.

Four Side was very simple mechanically, so it shouldn't even be troublesome to port it using only the graphical assets... the way the buildings were completely out of scale with the characters really bothered me though for some reason (even though it's basically a problem in other stages too).

I wonder if stages were recreated from Melee, if they'd be in Brawl scale, or in proper Melee scale.

The Brawl Melee stages are slightly smaller than the originals, I think because the Brawl characters are larger and the stages are straight ports.

But on the reverse, when porting the 64 stages to Melee, the stages are bigger than in 64. But in Smash 4 are mostly the right scale again (I think DL might be slightly smaller?).

So actually, I think remade Melee stages would probably be proper scale. Which is good. I always thought the Brawl Melee stages were too small, it made a lot of them feel more cramped than they originally intended them to be.

As long as Port Town remains the only F-Zero stage in the Wii U version, we likely won't get anything else in the way of music - the lack of any evidence suggesting they'd add new music to an existing stage aside; they've condensed the music from four stages onto it already.

Hopefully we could get some more music if Mute City got the 3DS Duck Hunt treatment or they decided to bring back Big Blue as DLC - but since all the original music for those stages is in the Wii U version already, and it's now established that stages can share music; I wouldn't be surprised if they came with nothing new even if they were made available.

Well, obviously not now, but when the game was still in development.

Onett got the actual SNES Onett theme, and Yoshi's Island picked up an additional Mario World track (the new medley). They could have at least put the Port Town music back in Port Town, even if they were just rips.

J@hranimo

Banned

I realized in hindsight that was a really cool locale with awesome music, but that stage design is pretty bad. They should do a remade version of it with a much better layout. That would he great.

When I was a kid and saw Green Greens, Corneria, Mushroom Kingdom and Brinstar, I just assumed Fourside was a remake of Saffron City.

I still sort of think it is. The layout is vaguely like a mirrored Saffron, at least about as similar as Brinstar is to Zebes. It's also Pichu's home stage.

I realized in hindsight that was a really cool locale with awesome music, but that stage design is pretty bad. They should do a remade version of it with a much better layout. That would he great.

You think that a stage based on Earthbound would be made for Ness/Lucas, but no, the narrow pits in the middle make recovering with PK Thunder near impossible.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Scrap Fourside and make a new stage based on the buildings of SimCity SNES called 'Dr Wright's Non IP Infringing City Stage'.

(in music complaints, Wrecking Crew stage should have had SimCity music)

Zubz

Banned

You sure? I honestly thought it was Fountain of Dreams overall, even if Pokémon Stadium 1 is among the Top 3. I mean, it would need to be remade from scratch, but that just means we'll actually get an HD Version of the stage. Plus, there's the whole "Whispy Woods is already in Dream Land" factor.

Your con of FoD being graphically intensive doesn't hold up, in my eyes, since the big problem on the GCN were the reflections in the water. Now that we have the Wii Fit Studio level, it seems like that'd pose no problem in 2-4P matches, and the stage is too small for 5+, anyway.

I mean, I'd love Pokémon Stadium 1 to return, too, and I'm biased towards my personal GOAT stage, but I think Fountain of Dreams is generally more requested than any other Melee Stage (Tied with Saffron City now that Pirate Ship's back), and that it'd definitely work out better for the dev team than Green Greens.

You know what's odd, Full Steam Ahead isn't on Pirate Ship.

Of all the Smash 4 remixes to be on Pirate Ship, you'd think it would be one from a game that's in the same world as Wind Waker and is a direct story sequel.

You sure? I honestly thought it was Fountain of Dreams overall, even if Pokémon Stadium 1 is among the Top 3.

Edit: Does anyone read past that reply ._. FoDs is entirely irrelevant to the post you quoted.

I wasn't talking about all Melee stages, just the four Brawl ones that aren't in Smash 4, a direct reply to Mamba who was talking about them. I even edited the post to directly reply to it lol

Anyway, Green Greens and Dreamland have coexisted just fine before, despite the double Whispys.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm pretty sure that we will hear something about characters next month.

Edited: I don't mind to see Pokemon Stadium and Big Blue. Big Blue not being in Wii U is odd. It's way better than Aero City.

Clov

I wouldn't be super upset if we got both Green Greens and Dream Land together again, but... it seems a bit redundant, and I'd be disappointed if that was picked over other Melee stages.

They should at least do some Halloween costumes :/

Brawler
- Boo Costume
- Ganondorf Costume (Ocarina Style)

Gunner
- Dark Samus Costume
- Pharaoh/Snake/Skull Man costume (whatever one, just pick a "spooky" robot master)

Sword Fighter
- Stalfos Costume (Ocarina style)
- Ashley Costume
- Reaper Costume (Uprising style)

Hats
- Skull Helmet
- Pumpkin Head

How hard would those be? All the models basically exist already. Even the Skull helmet and Pumpkin head are in Tomodachi Life.

JCX

Hypothetical: Sakurai says he will put either Wonder Red or Viewtiful Joe in the game, who do you go with?

I'd go with VJ, even though he's third party, he was part of the Capcom 5 back in the gamecube days and I mostly associate him with Nintendo. Also better known than Wonder Red. I'd be happy with either though.

NotLiquid

Hypothetical: Sakurai says he will put either Wonder Red or Viewtiful Joe in the game, who do you go with?

I'd go with VJ, even though he's third party, he was part of the Capcom 5 back in the gamecube days and I mostly associate him with Nintendo. Also better known than Wonder Red. I'd be happy with either though.

Viewtiful Joe if it's the singular character, Wonder Red if he's instead incorporated as a tag team character.

I've always said this but a TW101 rep should be equally representative of the game they'd hail from. Let's say we'd call them "Wonderful Ones" and it'd consist of Red, Blue and Green - have each of them move synchronously, huddled like one unit, just like they do in the game (closest comparison existing in Smash Bros here is Olimar), and map each of them to a specific attack.

As much as I love TW101 I don't think Wonder Red alone would make for a compelling representative of his own franchise since he's only confined to one ability which is punching. The few ways I can see the full potential being utilized would take a lot of work that I'm not sure is possible.

PSqueak

Banned

Joe with WR alt.

And i don't think anybody would object to Joe, he's been in more games in nintendo platforms than non, including 2 games exclusive to nintendo (TvC and Double Trouble) and the only game he's been featured in that was not available in a Nintendo platform, MVC3, was multiplatform, i think he's got the credentials.

Zubz

Banned
Edit: Does anyone read past that reply ._. FoDs is entirely irrelevant to the post you quoted.

I wasn't talking about all Melee stages, just the four Brawl ones that aren't in Smash 4, a direct reply to Mamba who was talking about them. I even edited the post to directly reply to it lol

Anyway, Green Greens and Dreamland have coexisted just fine before, despite the double Whispys.

Sorry about that! And yeah... Out of those 4, it's totally Pokémon Stadium. Big Blue has its fans, but the other 2 are just mediocre at best. That's also true about Double Whispies; I just want GG gone and FoD back!

NotLiquid

Of course if Joe were included then people would assume Nintendo has a Capcom bias and beg for them even harder to add Tails, Knuckles and Shadow the Hedgehog lmao

Ryce

I'd definitely go with Wonder-Red. They're both incredibly obscure, but I'd feel more comfortable having an obscure Nintendo character than an obscure third-party character. Wonder-Red isn't too far removed from Roy, Lucas, or Shulk, but Viewtiful Joe does not belong with Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Ryu.

Of course if Joe were included then people would assume Nintendo has a Capcom bias and beg for them even harder to add Tails, Knuckles and Shadow the Hedgehog lmao

I'd be for Joe, to get some more representation of the GC era.

If they go with a second Sega rep, I think it should be Opa-Opa. For a few reasons.

• He represents a franchise other than Sonic.
  • Opa-Opa was, moreso than even Alex Kidd, Sega's pre-Sonic mascot
  • He was appearing on Nintendo consoles before Sonic (both Fantasy Zone games were officially ported to the Famicom).
  • He's made modern appearances on Nintendo platforms; both Fantasy Zone games were ported again to the 3DS
  • He represents a genre (the horizontal shmup) that is completely passed by SSB otherwise.
  • He's capable of walking, but can also fly. He also has so many weapon options that it wouldn't be hard to cobble a moveset together.
  • The FZ soundtracks are amazing and would make great My Music additions, even if they are mostly rips.

TDLink

If I was to pick another Capcom character it would probably be Leon. He is also part of the Capcom 5; RE4 was a big "get" for Nintendo.

Wonderful 101 is a fantastic game and Wonder Red is a great character. He should be in the game. Definitely over Viewtiful Joe.

If we were gonna have another Capcom character, I'd want Phoenix Wright or Jill.

Phoenix because I love his games and they made a really creative moveset for him in Marvel. I think he's got almost all the makings of a great Smash fighter. He's unique, he's got his own ongoing series that's primarily on Nintendo systems, he's colorful and expressive, and a lot of people know who he is. Even those who haven't played Ace Attorney know his name or have seen things like the "Objection!" clips referenced.
umvc3phoenixnova610.jpg

He'd be really weird to see, but I think it's something they could make work, and I would love it if this franchise got more exposure, especially in the west.

I love Leon, but I think Jill would be a better fit for Smash because she's got a campier design and, like Phoenix, has appeared in other fighting games. She's also one of the original Resident Evil protagonists, and I honestly feel like Smash could use more female fighters.

People would complain about Capcom having too many "reps" but as far as third parties go, they really do have a lot of great, memorable characters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Honestly, the only Capcom character who I think deserves to take the third spot before Sega and Namco even get a second is Simon Belmont.

Dr. Buni

Third Capcom rep should be either Jill (Marvel vs. Capcom 2 Jill adapted to Smash) or Amaterasu from Okami. Phoenix Wright is really cool, but no thanks :p

Blues1990

Honestly, the only Capcom character who I think deserves to take the third spot before Sega and Namco even get a second is Simon Belmont.

But Simon is a Konami character. And, if anything goes with their stance on video game development & licencing, hell will freeze over before they can allow Nintendo access to any of their IP's.

Golnei

Phoenix Wright would probably be my most wanted Capcom character as well, just before Amaterasu. Leon could work relatively well too, being a character from Capcom's most successful non-MH franchise with relatively strong ties to Nintendo - since Konami is Konami and Snake will never come back, I'd even be okay with him being largely derivative of his moveset.

Simon Belmont is owned by Namco now, so he'd be a perfect second representative.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Wonderful 101 representative is way better because they are going to provide a lot of unique perspective to Smash Bros, also with unique moveset. I always imagine that it would be 4 characters working together, Wonder Red, Wonder Blue, Wonder Green and Wonder Pink.

Seriously? When did this happen?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/08/nintendo_is_licensing_hudson_soft_ip_from_konami

*coughsSnakecoughs*

I'd be for Joe, to get some more representation of the GC era.

If they go with a second Sega rep, I think it should be Opa-Opa. For a few reasons.

• He represents a franchise other than Sonic.
  • Opa-Opa was, moreso than even Alex Kidd, Sega's pre-Sonic mascot
  • He was appearing on Nintendo consoles before Sonic (both Fantasy Zone games were officially ported to the Famicom).
  • He's made modern appearances on Nintendo platforms; both Fantasy Zone games were ported again to the 3DS
  • He represents a genre (the horizontal shmup) that is completely passed by SSB otherwise.
  • He's capable of walking, but can also fly. He also has so many weapon options that it wouldn't be hard to cobble a moveset together.
  • The FZ soundtracks are amazing and would make great My Music additions, even if they are mostly rips.
I agree, even though I've only spent a short time with the series, Fantasy Zone character just seems awesome. I need to get the 3DS games soon after I get the DKL/C games.

If we were gonna have another Capcom character, I'd want Phoenix Wright or Jill.

Phoenix because I love his games and they made a really creative moveset for him in Marvel. I think he's got almost all the makings of a great Smash fighter. He's unique, he's got his own ongoing series that's primarily on Nintendo systems, he's colorful and expressive, and a lot of people know who he is. Even those who haven't played Ace Attorney know his name or have seen things like the "Objection!" clips referenced.
umvc3phoenixnova610.jpg

He'd be really weird to see, but I think it's something they could make work, and I would love it if this franchise got more exposure, especially in the west.

I love Leon, but I think Jill would be a better fit for Smash because she's got a campier design and, like Phoenix, has appeared in other fighting games. She's also one of the original Resident Evil protagonists, and I honestly feel like Smash could use more female fighters.

People would complain about Capcom having too many "reps" but as far as third parties go, they really do have a lot of great, memorable characters.
Also agree with this. Noone fits more than Pheonix Wright as a third Capcom rep.

Golnei

Wonderful 101 representative is way better because they are going to provide a lot of unique perspective to Smash Bros, also with unique moveset. I always imagine that it would be 4 characters working together, Wonder Red, Wonder Blue, Wonder Green and Wonder Pink.

And assuming a Koopaling-esque alt setup that included Poseman and Wonder-Cheerleader; a W101 character could result in more Viewtiful Joe representation than actually adding Joe.

So I guess Toon Link is literally meant to be Classic Link in Smash.

The "story" of Tri-Force heroes says that Link in TFH is the same Link as Link Between Worlds.

btw, Young Link was considered to be "classic" Link according to his trophy, so this is a consistent element between them.

NotLiquid

Link was always a kid to begin with. It wasn't until OoT came up with the more marketable adult design which persisted in so much crossover stuff and eventually became the status quo starting TP, even though they immediately reverted to younger Link after OoT when they went back to Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. It's a shame cause I always felt like younger Link was more representative of Miyamoto's original mentality when making the games and fills them with a better sense of wonder and naivety.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So I guess Toon Link is literally meant to be Classic Link in Smash.

The "story" of Tri-Force heroes says that Link in TFH is the same Link as Link Between Worlds.

btw, Young Link was considered to be "classic" Link according to his trophy, so this is a consistent element between them.
Young Link had a Deku shield, a Kokiri sword, used Fire Arrows, and drank Lon Lon Milk.

I think trophy descriptions rank very low in the canon of Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom