• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
CR7nTtWUAAEbroR.png:large

I can't wait to play as King R. Cool.

CSAf8VwUAAE_D6a.png:large

The non-gaming press has been running with the Shovel Knight story since it started and getting it all wrong.

I remember reading one that said that the actual Shovel Knight Amiibo was going to be a character. The statue, itself.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In some ways I want the next reveal to be someone not in the regularly mentioned group just to throw a spanner in the works. It seems as time goes on the same names are circulating to the point people are thinking they are certain. An unexpected choice would bring everyone back to their senses that there's really no way to predicts what's gonna come.

RomanceDawn

They must have typed too fast, King R Kool, and it got auto corrected. [laughs]

Dixie, K Rool, Ridley and Isaac? I don't really care about Shovel Knight but if all of those came in oh my god, OH MY DOG! Like that would be it. I wouldn't ask for anything in LIFE ever again. And where the devil is Ridley rumored beyond whats his face here on GAF about the moving models?

Though I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to answer IGN's Ridley question knowing full well he was planning to add him later as DLC. His plan was to leave the masses in utter despair only to pull them away from the fiery pits of hell and into the bright havens above!

[cries] Why do I do this to myself? Because the dreams of men never die! As a matter of fact, if I got ran over by a street sweeper and passed on, I'd hope my son or daughter would inherit my will. Of course Sakurai would never listen. My kids would die but hopefully their kids would inherit the same will. This cycle would continue for 800 years or so. I'd imagine there would be a blank century in there somewhere that the general population is forbidden to know about or research. One day though, the unquestioned master and ruler of the world, Sakurai(now just a massive collection of the greatest human brains forming one big brain, floating in big fish tank), would have been challenged and completely annihilated by the Ridley Revolution. The sad thing is that while yes, Ridley eventually makes it as a character, each successive generation lost more and more memory and understanding of who Ridley was. When Ridley finally made it into Smash he ended up as nothing more than that blue Alph thing from the original Metroid art and another Falcon clone. Even in death, Sakurai won.

This'll turn the haters heads, they wont dare hate the Kool lest they reveal themselves to be squares.

I like how that rumour is generally my dream DLC roster that would make this roster incredibly complete to me.
Like it's not going to happen but maaaaaaan.

I think you just put all of the GAFers who hand wring about how ugly fat horrible design 90s K. Rool is into cardiac arrest.

Oh, are we back to this again? I actually kind of liked that you'd started posting reasonably instead of these weird anti-anti-rool spite posts but I guess it couldn't last. I'm somewhat disappointed though... perhaps i have too much faith in people :/

Out of that list Inkling would be cool for me. I'd probably give Dixie a spin too though.

Dr. Buni

Dixie, King Rool, Isaac, Inkling and Ridley. That's if we were so damn lucky to get those five together.
I would never ask for any character for Smash again. Sure, I want a Rhythm Heaven character and Bomberman as well, but getting these five would be just too good.
Anyone else beginning to tune out any and all rumors/"leaks"? The recent chaos was fun for a while but I'm growing rather tired of them.

I grew tired of rumors back in the pre-release days, even though I still talk about them and give some rumors the benefit of doubt.

Rumors are boring, I want actual leaks.

Beginning? I stopped after that rayman craziness lol. Fake palutena will forever be the best.

I actually forgot about that Rayman one, LOL. What a shitshow that was.

That Palutena one was so crazy since it wasn't debunked shortly after like all the others. Didn't it take the actual creator to come out and say so?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I actually forgot about that Rayman one, LOL. What a shitshow that was.

That Palutena one was so crazy since it wasn't debunked shortly after like all the others. Didn't it take the actual creator to come out and say so?

Well technically it was debunked when Palutena was shown since the differences were obvious, but you had some hangers on who insisted "things change during development" who were finally silenced by the creator admitting to it.

NotLiquid

Still don't imagine we'll be hearing about Shovel Knight for a long time if he's actually real. I just don't really believe we'll be seeing him as a final newcomer for this year when as far as Smash inclusions go that could cause holiday buzz, SK would be at least ten pegs down on the priority list.

TDLink

Still don't imagine we'll be hearing about Shovel Knight for a long time if he's actually real. I just don't really believe we'll be seeing him as a final newcomer for this year when as far as Smash inclusions go that could cause holiday buzz, SK would be at least ten pegs down on the priority list.

I highly doubt we're only going to be getting one character next month.

No. It was always going to be November if it was going to happen.

I dunno how many times I have to say it. But I guess people just want to be dramatic.
The rumor specifically said that it would be revealed in the next month or two back in August. There may be some leeway in how it was said but there does come a time when you should probably let go.

So what happens to Tamaki if it turns out Shovel Knight being in Smash really was just his source getting confused with the existence of a SK amiibo that unlocks stuff on the Wii U version of his game?

TDLink

The rumor specifically said that it would be revealed in the next month or two back in August. There may be some leeway in how it was said but there does come a time when you should probably let go.

When the rumour came out it was obvious we likely wouldn't get a character until November considering the pattern on the DLC and what Sakurai was saying. Therefore the rumour isn't really dead until the next characters come out and he's not there.

Additionally we can all probably assume that if Wolf was to come out in November, timed with Star Fox Zero, the delay of that game may have affected some things.

Somehow I knew it was one of Etika's videos before clicking the link. Why do people even bother with those dumb polls?

I've always told the K. Rool fanbase to ignore these polls since they don't mean anything. All they do is give people a false sense of security. There are going to be a lot of meltdowns when Shantae and *insert obscure third party character here* aren't DLC.

"MOLD THE FUTURE OF SMASH!"

The fucking cringe, holy shit.

I've always told the K. Rool fanbase to ignore these polls since they don't mean anything. All they do is give people a false sense of security. There are going to be a lot of meltdowns when Shantae and *insert obscure third party character here* aren't DLC.

Yup. That should apply to any fan base really.
As you mention and I've been saying from day 1, most fan polls are pretty irrelevant because it's highly unlikely any of them will ever really reflect the contents of the actual ballot and now that the ballot is closed they can't even influence votes that haven't been cast yet.

I wouldn't write off any of the votes as bots just because they accumulated quickly though; Etika's channel gets a lot of hits pretty quickly whenever he puts one up, but at the same time the results are, as always, somewhat meaningless so if people do want to bot it, it doesn't really matter :p

Dr. Buni

Indeed. I am not surprised so many people vote on these polls, considering how many Smash fans think that most voted character = confirmed DLC!!

The last line made me chuckle.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtskSNYaGag

This is one of the most cringeworthy videos I've ever seen. I refreshed the page and Shovel Knight gained 100 votes at once. It's pathetic how people are botting straw polls for a ballot that ended almost a month ago. Like... what's the point?
The sheer size of the people voting makes it the biggest Smash poll available to the public ever. That alone makes it important in letting people get a more accurate representation of what the Smash community wants. And I doubt you would have written all of that if K. Rool were leading.

Shitty trailer nonetheless, but it's an Etika video so I expected nothing else.

woopWOOP

As long as there's some new stuff released before/around December for my holiday Smash get-together I don't mind when they'll reveal it.

Actually the Mario Maker stage is cool enough already, but a new character/map or two would be pretty neat!

NotLiquid

I highly doubt we're only going to be getting one character next month.

I feel like at best we'd get one newcomer and one vet considering according to Sakurai takes five to six months to construct a character from the ground up.

So what happens to Tamaki if it turns out Shovel Knight being in Smash really was just his source getting confused with the existence of a SK amiibo that unlocks stuff on the Wii U version of his game?

According to his sources they said that the SK Amiibo was indiscriminate from the Smash rumor, and supposedly Tamaki had already seen the SK packaging when he dropped the rumor.

If nothing happens then... nothing happens. Tamaki has been both right and wrong many times in the past. Plenty of "sources" probably come from some informed background but they can't always be assumed to be 100% in the know. The Gematsu leak is proof of that. It was clearly based on actual insider info yet some elements of it were either outdated or lost in translation.

The sheer size of the people voting makes it the biggest Smash poll available to the public ever. That alone makes it important in letting people get a more accurate representation of what the Smash community wants. And I doubt you would have written all of that if K. Rool were leading.

Excuse me, but I've said the same thing regarding polls that K. Rool "won". They're useful for gauging general popularity, but not much else. The only reason why Shovel Knight is doing as well as he is because of bandwagoning due to the leak. These polls are not reflective of ballot votes, since I'd wager that most people voted for multiple characters - months ago. And you can clear your cookies and vote as many times as you want, so... these "straw polls" are pointless.

Any Link looks better than TP Link. I want ALBW Link and Zelda to replace the TP ones.
Agreed. It's kind of amusing I guess that the Zelda with the most original characters I like also has my least favourite interpretations of the established series characters XD

Excuse me, but I've said the same thing regarding polls that K. Rool "won". They're useful for gauging general popularity, but not much else. The only reason why Shovel Knight is doing as well as he is because of bandwagoning due to the leak. These polls are not reflective of ballot votes, since I'd wager that most people voted for multiple characters - months ago. And you can clear your cookies and vote as many times as you want, so... these "straw polls" are pointless.
I wouldn't even argue that they're a good indicator of popularity. If anything they're usually a better indicator of what groups/sites were told about the poll :p

PK Gaming

Re: TP Link

comic375.png

"On a side note, Link has been undergoing a slow, tragic mutation into an expressionless anime elfman for years and I'm afraid it's terminal."

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The thing about this is that we don't even know how the ballot worked on Nintendo's end. Did they accept multiple votes? Did a vote override the previous one? Did they only accept the first one? Considering all the unknowns, traditional "pick one" polls are the closest we are ever gonna get to something that looks like the official one at all.

Dr. Buni

"It started with the Fire Emblem jerks"... but what about Link in Smash 64.
Agreed. It's kind of amusing I guess that the Zelda with the most original characters I like also has my least favourite interpretations of the established series characters XD
I like her moveset a lot and her design isn't bad, but the character herself is just too... eh, lifeless? I don't know. She has her fans though, so I am not sure if changing her design would be fair.

Dr. Buni

To be fair, his actual character art was incredibly cartoony. Pretty charming.

wtOjZ0x.png
Yeah, but in the actual game he looked... taller.

On the subject, a Smash with in-game graphics on the style of Smash 64's artwork would be so good. I'd love to see how certain characters would look in a cartoony art style.

Edit: Cartoony Samus looked great, too.

Samus_SSB.png

"It started with the Fire Emblem jerks"... but what about Link in Smash 64.
I like her moveset a lot and her design isn't bad, but the character herself is just too... eh, lifeless? I don't know. She has her fans though, so I am not sure if changing her design would be fair.
For me I feel the issue with TP is that while the new characters made for it that really stand out for me like Midna or Agitha really click with the dark atmosphere they were going for with it, mostly because they were designed from scratch for it, the translations of the usually more cartoony/bright main cast didn't feel as convincing to me. Somehow they all kind of lost a lot of character in the transition: Zelda and Link became quite expressionless compared to the variety of emotions they expressed even in OoT and Ganondorf just became this weird raging god thing, lacking all the attempts to humanize him they'd gone for in OoT.

It's just kind of odd because the new characters for the game are quite expressive and quirky so it's clear they could have pulled it off for the old-guard it if they'd tried :eek:

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Indeed. I am not surprised so many people vote on these polls, considering how many Smash fans think that most voted character = confirmed DLC!!

Yep, it's very common issues with the fans so we are going to deal with them in the future. I'm not looking forward for that actually.

I feel like at best we'd get one newcomer and one vet considering according to Sakurai takes five to six months to construct a character from the ground up.

Source please? We got Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu in June. I presumed that their length is about 6-7 months. *October to April/May*

I guess that they might have start working on few characters somewhen during Late May or June. It's possible that they could already start working on Wolf early if Wolf actually get in.

Golnei

Yeah, but in the actual game he looked... taller.

On the subject, a Smash with in-game graphics on the style of Smash 64's artwork would be so good. I'd love to see how certain characters would look in a cartoony art style.

Even then, 64 used the facial proportions of his ingame OoT model, which deviated a bit from the current standard depiction as well as the original OoT art. Also, if they ever gave us 3D models of the 64 art, Link would be one of the characters they'd have to put the most work into not looking like a terrifying apparition from the void.

wY159Qq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom