• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So uh where is that Nintendo Direct and new character you guys were hyping up this entire month?

They put their faith in wrong source. Well, actually! They probably put their faith in wrong source on purpose out of desperate for a new direct that we haven't got ever since June.

Somewhen we are going to get some kind of new Direct. Perhaps, Smash Direct.

Platy

So uh where is that Nintendo Direct and new character you guys were hyping up this entire month?

Rumors are more likely wrong than right, that is why it is called rumors and not news.

The hypes lives on regardless because every rumor has a very small percentage of true

Think I'm finally done with the Smash train, words I never thought I'd say.

The constant rumours and false promises (lies) from 'insiders' in the fandom are just too much and it's not healthy to try and keep on top of this stuff. And as for the fabled Nintendo Direct that is 'always around the corner' has no signs of showing anytime soon and I'm done.

Aside from the Smash DLC, Nintendo has been a complete disappointment this year. E3 was a joke and delays like Starfox and Zelda are just another eyeroll to add to the list.

And trust me, I in no way feel 'entitled' to more information, Nintendo will deliver it when it's good and ready, especially in light of the tough times they've had with Iwata this year. But if I'm going to continue supporting Nintendo through to the NX then their output needs to improve, not necessarily the games, but their overall message with some consistency. Why do we have to guess when the next Direct will be? Why can't it be something scheduled. It's tiresome to keep playing these guessing games and again, it's not because we're all spoiled children that "deserve" this information, it's more because I want to support Nintendo through this transitional period but if I'm going to do that then the radio silence isn't doing anything to help me do that for them.

Of course I'm still hyped as anything for the next wave of Character DLC but in the meantime I think I need to step away and stop 'following' Nintendo, for lack of a better term.

TDLink

The constant rumours and false promises (lies) from 'insiders' in the fandom are just too much and it's not healthy to try and keep on top of this stuff. And as for the fabled Nintendo Direct that is 'always around the corner' has no signs of showing anytime soon and I'm done.

Aside from the Smash DLC, Nintendo has been a complete disappointment this year. E3 was a joke and delays like Starfox and Zelda are just another eyeroll to add to the list.

And trust me, I in no way feel 'entitled' to more information, Nintendo will deliver it when it's good and ready, especially in light of the tough times they've had with Iwata this year. But if I'm going to continue supporting Nintendo through to the NX then their output needs to improve, not necessarily the games, but their overall message with some consistency. Why do we have to guess when the next Direct will be? Why can't it be something scheduled. It's tiresome to keep playing these guessing games and again, it's not because we're all spoiled children that "deserve" this information, it's more because I want to support Nintendo through this transitional period but if I'm going to do that then the radio silence isn't doing anything to help me do that for them.

Of course I'm still hyped as anything for the next wave of Character DLC but in the meantime I think I need to step away and stop 'following' Nintendo, for lack of a better term.

Nintendo and Sakurai, see what have y'all done to people. You drove them insane and potentially ended up in mental hospitals. I beg you to release the information for their sanity.

It's actually a really healthy response and tbh what everyone should do

JazzmanZ

You did this to yourself man, if you keep with low expectations you won't be burnt out like you are now.

NotLiquid

Yep.

Once you've had a taste of crushing disappointment you know to expect the absolute least.

Doesn't make Nintendo's worsened communication as of late any less incomprehensible though.

Ryce

The Shovel Knight and Inkling rumors are obviously Chinese whispers bullshit full of misinformation and backpedaling. I don't trust the Tamakis/Rogers/Octogirls of the world when it comes to inside information. The legitimate Smash Bros. leaks are posted by lower profile people or even anonymously. If something is milked out on Twitter over the course of a week then it probably isn't true.

Zombine

Banned
Think about what we have gotten so far though:

Mewtwo
Ryu
Lucas
Some great stages
Cool costumes

I mean...if we were done right now I'd be fine. It's already more than what we got with Brawl. We're not really owed anything.

Think about what we have gotten so far though:

Mewtwo
Ryu
Lucas
Some great stages
Cool costumes

I mean...if we were done right now I'd be fine. It's already more than what we got with Brawl. We're not really owed anything.
Hell yes we are. When Nintendo puts out a character poll, I expect results.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*checks on the thread*
*sees the post comparing the DLC hopefuls to the US Presidential candidates*
... I think that's enough thread for me for a while.

Richie

Hell yes we are. When Nintendo puts out a character poll, I expect results.

He knew that there would be no end to this.
He still remembered that day, in which he suggested to replace the game's nobodies with Nintendo characters. The greetings, the support from his staff...all there, on his memory.
And yet, it wasn't right.
He knew how fans' minds work. He realized the game's potential, how it wouldn't be simply a conglomeration of other franchises, but one of its own.
The Nintendo cycle, yes, that was also present on his thoughts.
If they liked it (and they definitely would) they would ask for more.
More. And more. And more, and more, and even more.
More characters.
More stages.
More game modes.
More EVERYTHING.
No matter how much effort he put...
No matter how much he tried...
They would NEVER be satisfied.
Oh, he knew...

...So in the next patch, he re-added tripping.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Yeah, It's better if we could add some kind of humors to our discussion.

You did this to yourself man, if you keep with low expectations you won't be burnt out like you are now.

Yep, that's why I always have zero expectation every week. It's harmless to discuss about rumors and leaks even I knew that it's gong to be fake. However it's something that we could use out of those rumors and leaks, like we actually have a discussion about Inkling because we already know they are going to be in the game either way, DLC or future Smash.

Fuck, and Roy's our boy ._.

But I mean, 4 freaking characters? That's amazing I think.

It's really awesome, and best thing about it is that we are going to get more characters. I would be happy with anything they are going to release.

Zombine

Banned
I also believe that the radio silence has more to do with the uncertainty about who will be the face of Nintendo, and less to do with annoying the fans. I also believe that there may be discussions going on in regards to the NX, and the feasibility of bringing Smash and other WiiU/3DS games to that system. The team very well could have moved their focus over to a next-gen port.

Clov

I also believe that the radio silence has more to do with the uncertainty about who will be the face of Nintendo, and less to do with annoying the fans. I also believe that there may be discussions going on in regards to the NX, and the feasibility of bringing Smash and other WiiU/3DS games to that system. The team very well could have moved their focus over to a next-gen port.

It's still a bit early to say, though if there's still no word of future DLC and months go by, it would definitely make sense if the Smash Bros team was working on an NX version that included all current/future DLC.

Zombine

Banned
At this point, if they did one final wave of DLC that included Wolf, Snake, possibly Ice Climbers, and Inklings I would be beyond content. That would round out an already jam packed game.

javadoze

As soon as the first "straw poll" results started coming in back in April, Etika began pushing the narrative that K. Rool would be another slow, useless heavweight. Ironically, the dude supported Ridley. Though nobody really knows if his support was genuine or staged.

Speaking of democratic elections, the ballot reminds me of the ongoing presidential election.

King K. Rool / Hillary Clinton - A classic Nintendo character who has been waiting patiently for his time to come. Detractors continue to bog him down with scandals like Mii costume gate (Benghazi) thanks to his commanding leads in many polls. Will that be enough?
Banjo-Kazooie / Bernie Sanders - The only candidate who's both an outsider and an insider, Banjo-Kazooie seeks to bring about change by forcing Nintendo and Microsoft to cooperate. Much to the chagrin of the establishment, Banjo-Kazooie has been doing well in the polls, but numbers alone may not be enough. Unlike K. Rool, he doesn't belong to a family dynasty.
Shovel Knight / Donald Trump - The outsider who hasn't been a video game character for very long, but has garnered a tremendous amount of attention from the media. His lack of support from several key voting blocks (Japanese) may prove to be an insurmountable hurdle.
Shantae / Ben Carson - The other, less popular outsider whose scantily clad appearance has left the community divided. Will her looks help or hinder her candidacy? Or perhaps WayForward is merely trying to create buzz for their upcoming game?
Daisy / Jeb Bush - The establishment pick whose support has been negligible at best. Could she still make the cut despite the widespread "no more Mario characters" sentiment?
Inklings / Marco Rubio - The other establishment candidate, but they're younger, fresher, and appeal to demographics that Nintendo traditionally avoids. Many fans see them as the "expected" choice.
Ridley / Joe Biden - While many think he's no longer a contender, will he surprise us all and enter the race? There's still time! Maybe Sakurai was just trolling, guys. Guys...?

bF6Cp.jpg

Nintendo and Sakurai, see what have y'all done to people. You drove them insane and potentially ended up in mental hospitals. I beg you to release the information for their sanity.

Tbh it's more the fans that have caused this frustration. I wouldn't mind if we had some expectation of when we'll next hear from Nintendo, it's the fact that the people with the 'inside knowledge' are taking advantage of the fact that they've been quiet for so long.

I always keep my expectations in check, like somebody else mentioned above, if the DLC was announced tomorrow that it was done, I'd be satisfied. All I wanted was Mewtwo and Lucas so I have everybody I want, and we have quite a few more stages so I'm more than content with the DLC that has been offered. I was more pointing out that it's too frustrating and not healthy to have to check in on threads such as these for the latest scrap or clue on when we'll be next hearing from Nintendo, hence my desire to step away. I just feel the last 2 weeks with all the fake rumours that have been going round are a step too far.

EDIT - Want evidence of what happens when people are starved of information and don't know when to walk away? The Presidential election post above says it all really

kirby_fox

Banned

They had a posting for a job I think soon after Iwata's passing that was looking for someone to deal with Nintendo Directs. It was that post that made me think without Iwata, they decided they needed someone in charge of them. I'm guessing this time has been used to hire that person, and working with them to prepare them for their role and how to properly move forward without Iwata.

In regards to Smash, I have a feeling more and more that since Sakurai had never done DLC before- they are winging it. There's no real timeline to it, it just comes out whenever they finish it and think it'll do well.

Since there's little to no pattern, it's driving Smash fans crazy.

Richie

I like to think the presidential election post was just Gonzo having himself some fun for a couple minutes, the reactions strike me as exaggerated. I found it amusing. God knows there's been muuuuuuuuch worse stuff posted in these threads.

It's fun to speculate and to hear from supposed insiders and whatnot. I like getting hyped while being very aware that 4 times out of 5 the hype won't pay off. But it's fun to get crazy with you guys, the Smash hype train is truly all about the journey and not the destination. If one takes this -too- seriously and is burned by it, sure, take a break, but I've found this community a great way to chill while the next Smash DLC arrives.

They're not going to suddenly, and without warning, drop DLC entirely for Smash 4 and then go work on an NX version.

That looks terrible to a consumer. To confirm more DLC is coming and then turn around and shut it all down to make a port on another console of the same game would look really bad on Sakurai.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
In regards to Smash, I have a feeling more and more that since Sakurai had never done DLC before- they are winging it. There's no real timeline to it, it just comes out whenever they finish it and think it'll do well.

I second this. It's interesting how we can't predict anything because we don't know what Sakurai would do with ballot, etc.

Tbh it's more the fans that have caused this frustration. I wouldn't mind if we had some expectation of when we'll next hear from Nintendo, it's the fact that the people with the 'inside knowledge' are taking advantage of the fact that they've been quiet for so long.

EDIT - Want evidence of what happens when people are starved of information and don't know when to walk away? The Presidential election post above says it all really

Yeah, I totally understand the frustration. I'm saying that some people here should stop bringing those insiders information into this thread repeatedly because it's going to make this thread somewhat worse and miserable.

It's strange how people just gave up with speculating about future characters' moveset or potential stages because that would be more positive in retrospect.

Gonzo is being Gonzo. He's trying to be funny but not everyone share same sense of humor with him.

NotLiquid

I like to think the presidential election post was just Gonzo having himself some fun for a couple minutes, the reactions strike me as exaggerated. I found it amusing. God knows there's been muuuuuuuuch worse stuff posted in these threads.

It's fun to speculate and to hear from supposed insiders and whatnot. I like getting hyped while being very aware that 4 times out of 5 the hype won't pay off. But it's fun to get crazy with you guys, the Smash hype train is truly all about the journey and not the destination. If one takes this -too- seriously and is burned by it, sure, take a break, but I've found this community a great way to chill while the next Smash DLC arrives.

True enough, the bright side of having a rumor from a source that might have had varying degrees of truth embedded into the past is that if nothing else it at least gets the ball rolling a little bit in terms of discussion. Questions like "how would this character play" are probably some of the more easy questions to propose but I'm always fascinated by the "why here, why now", as character inclusions always have an interesting balance between the things that Nintendo expects Sakurai to do and the things that Sakurai himself thinks he can achieve by a specific inclusion (I like to think of Robin's inclusion in this game as a prime example of that).

Though with that said I do think Ryce has a point about the more interesting rumors and most likely more accurate ones being from those who have no real record or have complete anonymity. Eventually too much accountability piles up the longer someone's involving themselves and I think Roger realized since he closed off on the addendum of saying because of the outcome he's decided against ever reporting on anything he learns from his source despite it supposedly being a longstanding one. If you want to publicly leak info I don't think it's too good to get attached to specific mouthpieces because even some great insiders have been completely off the mark. The GAF archive for example, contains a notable one from 2011, where a member had inside info of Metal Gear Rising being given to Platinum, yet everything except that specific piece of info was wrong.

Clov

They're not going to suddenly, and without warning, drop DLC entirely for Smash 4 and then go work on an NX version.

That looks terrible to a consumer. To confirm more DLC is coming and then turn around and shut it all down to make a port on another console of the same game would look really bad on Sakurai.

It would, which is why I don't think that it'll happen... yet. It's a possibility to consider if we keep going for an extended period without any news. Right now things are fine.

Gonzo's political post was really accurate IMO, maybe Mike Huckabee can be like Krystal where they were big in 2008 and then faded but still are on stage with the main candidates off on the margins

Clov

Gonzo's political post was really accurate IMO, maybe Mike Huckabee can be like Krystal where they were big in 2008 and then faded but still are on stage with the main candidates off on the margins

That post I just made where I said that things are fine right now? I take it back. Clearly I was wrong.

I'm used to the condescension by now. I can literally envision people rolling their eyes. "There goes crazy old Gonzo again, trying to be funny." Forgive me for trying to bring some lighthearted humor into the thread, jeez.
Geno = Ron Paul

EhoaVash

Fuck shovel knight.

Dude doesn't deserve to be in smash 4 so early. He has no history.

Fuck sora unless kingdom hearts 3 is also on NX.

Shantea? Who the fuck is that. More unknown than even all demfire emblem character.

Banjoe?gtfo dude is dead no way Nintendo will want a traitor in smash

Ridley deserves the most chance damn it. Fuck sakurai for negligence

Dr. Buni

When it comes to third parties, I think the word "deserve" is definitely a big factor.

Otherwise, we'd be making way for characters such as Bayonetta, Toe Jam & Earl, Klonoa, etc.
It is not. The only big factor is Sakurai/Nintendo wanting the character or not in Smash. If they want S. Knight in Smash, he deserving or not to be in game will be meaningfless.
I wish neogaf had a thumbs up option for posts :p
:D

Platy

If deservness was a factor we would have a Tetris block in the character roster for a LONG time.

Nintendo portable industry ownership basicaly only exists because of Tetris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom