• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Buni

For me I feel the issue with TP is that while the new characters made for it that really stand out for me like Midna or Agitha really click with the dark atmosphere they were going for with it, mostly because they were designed from scratch for it, the translations of the usually more cartoony/bright main cast didn't feel as convincing to me. Somehow they all kind of lost a lot of character in the transition: Zelda and Link became quite expressionless compared to the variety of emotions they expressed even in OoT and Ganondorf just became this weird raging god thing, lacking all the attempts to humanize him they'd gone for in OoT.

It's just kind of odd because the new characters for the game are quite expressive and quirky so it's clear they could have pulled it off for the old-guard it if they'd tried :eek:
Yeah, I agree. I liked how they became more expressive in Skyward Sword, though they also became almost too anime for my tastes :O (keyword: almost).

Midna and Agitha have some of my favorite designs in the series. In fact, TP had a lot of quirky and fun character designs, sadly the ~dark~ visuals of the game didn't help much.
Even then, 64 used the facial proportions of his ingame OoT model, which deviated a bit from the current standard depiction as well as the original OoT art. Also, if they ever gave us 3D models of the 64 art, Link would be one of the characters they'd have to put the most work into not looking like a terrifying apparition from the void.

wY159Qq.jpg
I think he looks cute in that model :c He is only lacking... a nose?

(I wish we would get a new 3D Zelda with kid Link again, for 3DS, Wii U or NX, it doesn't matter)

The thing about this is that we don't even know how the ballot worked on Nintendo's end. Did they accept multiple votes? Did a vote override the previous one? Did they only accept the first one? Considering all the unknowns, traditional "pick one" polls are the closest we are ever gonna get to something that looks like the official one at all.

The ballot ended ended 20 days ago. This is literally just a poll with a bunch of names on it. It doesn't say "Who did you vote for in the Smash Fighter Ballot?" People assume that K. Rool is deconfirmed due to his Mii costume, therefore they are not voting for him. People assume that Shovel Knight is confirmed due to his Amiibo, therefore they are voting for him. Plus, this doesn't factor in absentees who may have received a healthy amount of ballot support. "Would Shantae receive fewer votes if Bayonetta was on the list? Would K. Rool receive fewer votes if Dixie was on the list?" Etika is a notorious K. Rool detractor who has been propping up Shovel Knight and Shantae for months. He's trying to turn this into some WWE Smackdown equivalent, giving his fanbase the false idea that the character who receives the most amount of votes is guaranteed to become playable.

The ballot ended ended 20 days ago. This is literally just a poll with a bunch of names on it. It doesn't say "Who did you vote for in the Smash Fighter Ballot?" People assume that K. Rool is deconfirmed due to his Mii costume, therefore they are not voting for him. People assume that Shovel Knight is confirmed due to his Amiibo, therefore they are voting for him. Plus, this doesn't factor in absentees who may have received a healthy amount of ballot support. "Would Shantae receive fewer votes if Bayonetta was on the list? Would K. Rool receive fewer votes if Dixie was on the list?" Etika is a notorious K. Rool detractor who has been propping up Shovel Knight and Shantae for months. He's trying to turn this into some WWE Smackdown equivalent, giving his fanbase the false idea that the character who receives the most amount of votes is guaranteed to become playable.
If Etika really had something against K Rool he could've simply just left him out of the straw polls he set up before, because heck knows he missed a bunch. Admittedly it makes it a lot easier for me to vote for Inklings when there's nobody else on the lists to grab my attention. Clearly Shia Lebeouf and Shrek were more valuable/realistic entries to include on the straw polls than the likes of Ashley or Viridi :p

NotLiquid

Source please? We got Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu in June. I presumed that their length is about 6-7 months. *October to April/May*

I guess that they might have start working on few characters somewhen during Late May or June. It's possible that they could already start working on Wolf early if Wolf actually get in.

Can't seem to find a source so I'm probably pulling that number out of my ass, lol. I could have sworn I've heard that being a number tossed around a lot, and I think someone in Gamexplain suggested Sakurai having stated as much in an interview but since I can't find anything of the sort I guess it's a baseless statement.

It usually takes quite many number of months to work in a character into a game like this though, plus with three vets to work in alongside it took around seven months since the game's release for them to fully integrate an entirely original character that wasn't based on an existing one, so when accounting for balancing it probably takes at least four to six months in integrating a newcomer. That tends to be normal in fighting games though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
He held an early vote with a bazillion characters from which these ten came up, he's not just leaving out names in purpose.

And yes, we already know this is not a democratic election and that it is just a suggestion box yadda yadda. I'm honestly tired of hearing that every time we discuss the ballot. Whether Etika believes or not that his audience will reveal the "winners", what's important here is gauging popularity. It's not a guarantee for anything, but just a lead on what the community as a whole generally prefers.

If Etika really had something against K Rool he could've simply just left him out of the straw polls he set up before, because heck knows he missed a bunch. Admittedly it makes it a lot easier for me to vote for Inklings when there's nobody else on the lists to grab my attention. Clearly Shia Lebeouf and Shrek were more valuable/realistic entries to include on the straw polls than the likes of Ashley or Viridi :p

As soon as the first "straw poll" results started coming in back in April, Etika began pushing the narrative that K. Rool would be another slow, useless heavweight. Ironically, the dude supported Ridley. Though nobody really knows if his support was genuine or staged.

Speaking of democratic elections, the ballot reminds me of the ongoing presidential election.

King K. Rool / Hillary Clinton - A classic Nintendo character who has been waiting patiently for his time to come. Detractors continue to bog him down with scandals like Mii costume gate (Benghazi) thanks to his commanding leads in many polls. Will that be enough?
Banjo-Kazooie / Bernie Sanders - The only candidate who's both an outsider and an insider, Banjo-Kazooie seeks to bring about change by forcing Nintendo and Microsoft to cooperate. Much to the chagrin of the establishment, Banjo-Kazooie has been doing well in the polls, but numbers alone may not be enough. Unlike K. Rool, he doesn't belong to a family dynasty.
Shovel Knight / Donald Trump - The outsider who hasn't been a video game character for very long, but has garnered a tremendous amount of attention from the media. His lack of support from several key voting blocks (Japanese) may prove to be an insurmountable hurdle.
Shantae / Ben Carson - The other, less popular outsider whose scantily clad appearance has left the community divided. Will her looks help or hinder her candidacy? Or perhaps WayForward is merely trying to create buzz for their upcoming game?
Daisy / Jeb Bush - The establishment pick whose support has been negligible at best. Could she still make the cut despite the widespread "no more Mario characters" sentiment?
Inklings / Marco Rubio - The other establishment candidate, but they're younger, fresher, and appeal to demographics that Nintendo traditionally avoids. Many fans see them as the "expected" choice.
Ridley / Joe Biden - While many think he's no longer a contender, will he surprise us all and enter the race? There's still time! Maybe Sakurai was just trolling, guys. Guys...?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
As soon as the first "straw poll" results started coming in back in April, Etika began pushing the narrative that K. Rool would be another slow, useless heavweight. Ironically, the dude supported Ridley. Though nobody really knows if his support was genuine or staged.

Speaking of democratic elections, the ballot reminds me of the ongoing presidential election.

gRJazjf.gif

I'm sorry. I had to do it

FSLink

Banned
Real talk if you're in the US and of age, and you vote in the Smash ballot and you don't vote in the US election, wtf is wrong with you

Real talk if you're in the US and of age, and you vote in the Smash ballot and you don't vote in the US election, wtf is wrong with you
the type of people who probably would care more about a video game ballot over the presidential election would also probably vote for trump for shits and giggles so it's probably for the best

probably

are you telling me there aren't really 4.5 million unique people voting in this youtuber's character poll

I just find it interesting that whoever did it decided to have it vote on all the characters until they had equal numbers and then sequentially vote on each to spin the result wheel like that. it's kind of interestingly creative for someone just out to mess with it :eek:

This is kind of late, but I actually really like Twilight Princess Zelda. A lot of nintendo female characters are skinny and blonde. At least TP Zelda is skinny and brunette -- makes her stand out. In fact, I enjoy the muted colors for all the main Zelda cast. On Zelda, the colors give her an air of dignity that you don't really see in many Nintendo characters. Could she be more expressive? Sure. But I like it all the same. I really wish we could play as her in actual Zelda games already. I'm not fond of the female link idea. Link seems perpetually boxed in and boring; Zelda, in my mind, at least has potential.

Regarding the poll by Etika, it is more informative to look at many different polls over time. That way, we can see if results "replicate". I would not pay too much attention to any individual poll.

And I guess my vote for Smash Bros and my vote for US President both go to an evil reptile who was big in the 90s.

Just kidding... Kinda.

Crayolan

King K. Rool / Hillary Clinton - A classic Nintendo character who has been waiting patiently for his time to come. Detractors continue to bog him down with scandals like Mii costume gate (Benghazi) thanks to his commanding leads in many polls. Will that be enough?
Banjo-Kazooie / Bernie Sanders - The only candidate who's both an outsider and an insider, Banjo-Kazooie seeks to bring about change by forcing Nintendo and Microsoft to cooperate. Much to the chagrin of the establishment, Banjo-Kazooie has been doing well in the polls, but numbers alone may not be enough. Unlike K. Rool, he doesn't belong to a family dynasty.
Shovel Knight / Donald Trump - The outsider who hasn't been a video game character for very long, but has garnered a tremendous amount of attention from the media. His lack of support from several key voting blocks (Japanese) may prove to be an insurmountable hurdle.
Shantae / Ben Carson - The other, less popular outsider whose scantily clad appearance has left the community divided. Will her looks help or hinder her candidacy? Or perhaps WayForward is merely trying to create buzz for their upcoming game?
Daisy / Jeb Bush - The establishment pick whose support has been negligible at best. Could she still make the cut despite the widespread "no more Mario characters" sentiment?
Inklings / Marco Rubio - The other establishment candidate, but they're younger, fresher, and appeal to demographics that Nintendo traditionally avoids. Many fans see them as the "expected" choice.
Ridley / Joe Biden - While many think he's no longer a contender, will he surprise us all and enter the race? There's still time! Maybe Sakurai was just trolling, guys. Guys...?

what-the-fuck-am-i-reading.jpg

Javier

x4hYYN2.gif

Platy

To be fair, his actual character art was incredibly cartoony. Pretty charming.

wtOjZ0x.png

Yeah, but in the actual game he looked... taller.

On the subject, a Smash with in-game graphics on the style of Smash 64's artwork would be so good. I'd love to see how certain characters would look in a cartoony art style.

Edit: Cartoony Samus looked great, too.

Samus_SSB.png

Oh god how I LOOOOOVEEEE those styles.

Like "by the love of god use that style in a 2d game please" even to the point of "goal in drawing life"

Richie

The TP depiction of Zelda isn't my favorite, but I don't hate it either. There's lots of room for fan interpretation there, she seems almost jaded at parts, which, in a way is fitting for the bearer of the Triforce of Wisdom. I like the notion that she's the center of a legend yet couldn't care less.

Dr. Buni

Oh god how I LOOOOOVEEEE those styles.

Like "by the love of god use that style in a 2d game please" even to the point of "goal in drawing life"
I love that art style too!
Well that goes without saying
Glad we're on the same page.
I hope we get characters no one has asked for in this thread. Just for the reactions.
That's why the Shovel Knight rumor was so amusing. Very few people want him in Smash, so watching the rest of the fandom melting down (because of a rumor, lol) was... well, amusing.

Imagine if you get Tiki Tong playable instead of K. Rool!

Honestly? That would annoy the Ridley supporting part of me to the next level. IMHO both are flying bosses and that's the biggest problem with their movesets, yet everything else supports Ridley more.

Besides this isn't a really out-of-field suggestion, since people did consider some sort of "new DKC villain" earlier - usually from TF, but that's close enough.

You want something really surprising? How about, oh, I don't know... Porygon.

Golnei

This is kind of late, but I actually really like Twilight Princess Zelda. A lot of nintendo female characters are skinny and blonde. At least TP Zelda is skinny and brunette -- makes her stand out. In fact, I enjoy the muted colors for all the main Zelda cast. On Zelda, the colors give her an air of dignity that you don't really see in many Nintendo characters. Could she be more expressive? Sure. But I like it all the same. I really wish we could play as her in actual Zelda games already. I'm not fond of the female link idea. Link seems perpetually boxed in and boring; Zelda, in my mind, at least has potential.

I like the impression TP Zelda gives as well - Tetra and ST Zelda might be better characters in their actual games, but the more distant and comically serious air that can be extrapolated from her TP incarnation is an asset for differentiating her in Smash (Sakurai seems to enjoy playing with it as well, given some of the shots he took last year), the colour scheme helps as well.

Also, in regards to Zelda and female Link; the ideal scenario for me would be allowing people to use both - making one of the future Links female or giving the player an option as to their gender doesn't prevent them from eventually working on a game which used Zelda herself as a lead. Rallying behind 'female Link' is just more common because of how unlikely it'd be for them to produce a spinoff in the Zelda series which didn't use Link; compared to providing more options in games that already do exist and are being continuously made.

Dr. Buni

As much as I'd love to see this, it would never happen after Electric Soldier Porygon. The Porygon evolution line is still pretty deemphasized in the anime, isn't it?
Yeah. Porygon and its evolutions never appeared properly in the anime because of that episode.

Porygon 2 in Melee just makes generic sound effects, he doesn't have a proper cry! Porygon on Saffron City also uses his Japanese cry, as I don't believe any localized cry for Porygon existed at the time.

I don't know why 2 and Z got the short end of the stick. Especially Z, seeing him glitch out and twitch and stuff in the anime would have been cool.

As much as I'd love to see this, it would never happen after Electric Soldier Porygon. The Porygon evolution line is still pretty deemphasized in the anime, isn't it?

That's exactly why it would be actually surprising, It would break a logical rule (not Smash one, but still).

giphy.gif

Porygon 2 in Melee just makes generic sound effects, he doesn't have a proper cry! Porygon on Saffron City also uses his Japanese cry, as I don't believe any localized cry for Porygon existed at the time.

I don't know why 2 and Z got the short end of the stick. Especially Z, seeing him glitch out and twitch and stuff in the anime would have been cool.

Man, I forgot about Porygon 2 in Melee and how its attack almost never worked. What was up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom