• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

I actually liked PlayStation All-Stars for what it was, and I thought the characters were faithfully depicted with some really well-researched move sets. With that said...

Smash Bros. Capcom representation
hwkaWgU.png
ZaNgZcq.png

PlayStation All-Stars Capcom representation
K5Gm0XC.png

^Hahahaha.

To give Superbot some credit, they actually DID want to use the original Dante...it was just Capcom that made them go with the DmC variation, because, you know, advertisement and stuff.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
^Hahahaha.

To give Superbot some credit, they actually DID want to use the original Dante...it's just Capcom that made them use the DmC variation.

Yeah, they even asked for Lara Croft, Cloud and few characters and the companies said no.

Honestly, I thought they should have went with only Playstation IP roster for first game then they could focus on third party characters for sequels.

Mizerman

^Hahahaha.

To give Superbot some credit, they actually DID want to use the original Dante...it was just Capcom that made them go with the DmC variation, because, you know, advertisement and stuff.

Especially with how DmC Dante's lines were in PASBR, they were more in line with the original series Dante.

Concerning Playstation All-Stars comparison too, I think there's something to Smash that Sakurai brings that I don't think many people consider--he's really good at working with many disparate teams across both Nintendo and third parties to cooperate with the production. I mean, we know the Pokemon Company have their own sets of rules (and they are one of the hardest to work with), but every team has their own expectations, and without Smash's prestige and Sakurai's own internal networking it would have fallen apart. I mean, no team would make the demands Sucker Punch made for PSABR if it was Smash and Sakurai.

This is one of the main things I worry about concerning a Sakurai-less future for the series.

Platy

Yeah, a cast of total nobodies like Parappa the Rappa, Heihachi Mishima and Kratos would be tragic wouldn't it?

PSA's roster problems are more related to the fact that most of playstation's major characters aren't first party and all the licensing issues that lead to them not getting some of the biggest ones or having to make weird concessions to get them (e.g. double cole)
The lack of Crash Bandicoot and snake and whatnot wasn't a 'quality control' issue :p

PSA is a pretty bad game though and you should feel bad for forcing me to defend it :p

PSA third party problem is that they went for Devil May Cry and Infamous instead of Lara Croft and Crash Bandicoot

I mean, no team would make the demands Sucker Punch made for PSABR if it was Smash and Sakurai.

SEGA demanded modern sonic instead of Chubby one. I heard NAMCO demanded new pacman and sakurai wanted first version... they found a middle ground

Sponge

Banned
I don't get the people who were upset over having two Coles in the game.

The whole point of Infamous 2 was deciding whether you wanted to play it through good or bad decisions. Having two versions of him makes sense considering different people might like the different Coles. Considering how many clones we have already in Smash, having two Coles wasn't that big of a deal.

Now, third party characters like new Dante and Issac from Deadspace made no sense.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Concerning Playstation All-Stars comparison too, I think there's something to Smash that Sakurai brings that I don't think many people consider--he's really good at working with many disparate teams across both Nintendo and third parties to cooperate with the production. I mean, we know the Pokemon Company have their own sets of rules (and they are one of the hardest to work with), but every team has their own expectations, and without Smash's prestige and Sakurai's own internal networking it would have fallen apart. I mean, no team would make the demands Sucker Punch made for PSABR if it was Smash and Sakurai.

This is one of the main things I worry about concerning a Sakurai-less future for the series.
Is there any place I can read stuff behind the character approval for PSABR? Sounds like a clusterfuck.

PSA third party problem is that they went for Devil May Cry and Infamous instead of Lara Croft and Crash Bandicoot

Laura Croft you say? http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...-battle-royale-if-its-release-date-was-later/
As for Crash Bandicoot they had tweeted that it was "100% not possible" indicating that they'd probably requested him too and met similar 'no' responses for whoever's in charge of that character.

Again. PSA's roster wasn't a 'choice' problem but simply the fact they could barely get anyone to actually give them their character or if they could it usually came with all kinds of weird little clauses like a specific version of them or whatnot :3 Basically what GreenMamba is saying Sakurai and Ninty managed to avoid :p

That all said PSABR still had guest nobodies like Big Daddy and the guy from Dead Space that had no excuse and weren't exactly helping their case.

Sponge

Banned
Yeah they should have went with actual sony proprieties instead of Dead Space guy

They went with properties they owned for the most part. Characters like PaRappa, Sir Dan and Spike were great Playstation choices. They were never gonna get Crash and people don't realize just how hard it is because it's Activision who owns the rights.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yup, I think the biggest missing "IT FACTOR" of PSASBR was it didn't have a visionary on the team---it was built by dudes who had love for the fighting-game genre from my understanding, but no one who went beyond the technical and brought a singular vision that the team could work towards. I'm not sure who at Sony would be comparable to Sakurai though to fill that spot though.

Zubz

Banned
All this PSASBR talk is making me sad about all the DLC that was in the works for the game but never came to fruition, seeing how DLC duties were passed off to Sony Santa Monica shortly after launch. And then SSM saw the game as competition for God of War: Ascension's multiplayer (Remember that game?), and decided to only release the DLC that was God of War-related, leaving Abe, Dart, and the Gravity Rush level 3/4 completed and leaving the rest of the game to die.

We only got Isaac because Zeus needed a "rival," and we only got more costumes so Kratos could get a "Generic GoW: Ascension Multiplayer Soldier" costume. Well, we also got the MediEvil level after their takeover, but I'm assuming it was because it was meant to release alongside Zeus and Isaac, anyway.

Either way, this just has me thirsty for PSASBR2, but I guess Smash 4 will have to do since the first game was a failure. And seriously, as much as I'd want a dedicated DLC team so Sakurai and his crew can take a break, I'm thankful that their autonomy wasn't ripped away from them.

Platy

They went with properties they owned for the most part. Characters like PaRappa, Sir Dan and Spike were great Playstation choices. They were never gonna get Crash and people don't realize just how hard it is because it's Activision who owns the rights.

If this is right ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment#Owned_franchises_and_properties

Lemmings, Loco Roco (not just a stage), Alundra, Jumping Flash rabbit, Q Bert, Syphon Filter dude, Vib Ribbon, Tokyo Jungle, WILD ARMS !!!!

And a Wipout dude like Captain Falcon would be awesome

Lots of potential to make some amazing bizarre characters like Wii Fit, Game & Watch, ROB and Ice Climbers

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lemmings would have been a great addition. In the UK they were really popular back in the day. They have plenty of moves to take inspiration from too. You just have to think of a way to reference their non-stop nature.

Ultimately with Superbot, they were a small time developer making a low budget game here. Other companies probably just didn't think highly of them or trust them with more actual valuable characters and just wanted some of their characters in for advertisement and nothing more.

Heihachi was the only justified 'guest' in PSASBR and he just got lucky he could be tied into Tekken Tag Tournament 2 to get in with the same design he'd have back in the PS1 era.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Regardless, it was already a flawed system to begin with. It honestly felt like they were going for "muh uniqueness" that they focus on what actually works.

Hatchtag

Banned
Regardless, it was already a flawed system to begin with. It honestly felt like they were going for "muh uniqueness" that they focus on what actually works.

I hate PS All-Stars, but it's got a lot going against it. It's a game that seems like it didn't ever know what it's budget was. It's also pretty hard for an unproven developer to do a cross-over game, because then they'll just get told what to do by the companies involved too much. You think Sakurai would've included two different Coles with largely different movesets or use only the newest designs for third parties? Hell no. Hell, neither would Naughty Dog, the original choice for developer probably.

The uniqueness thing also feels really weird because it honestly feels like you had two different parties making the game-one that wanted a straight up Smash clone and one that wanted something more unique-and this was just a compromise they came up with that left nobody happy.

Couldn't Evil Cole have just been a Zelda-style transformation?

Or hell, push Infamous' morality system in his moveset and have Cole throughout a stock based on how you play 'gravitate' towards either hero/evil and have it reset when you lose one.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Last week we had a constant barrage of Mario Tennis news... well, constant as in we got a new video every other day. Maybe this week is Smash's turn!!!

Deserve is a dumb word but I do not fault people for wanting quality control in the roster at all. What is the alternative: blind acceptance of literally any new fighter because Stop Complaining, They'll Be Fun.

More the reason they should announce something hype

Well, at minimum I expect some kind of Amiibo news. Investors love them, they make boatloads of money and yet we don't really have any announced for next year besides some C tier Animal Crossing characters and the last three Smash characters (Lucas, Roy and Ryu). And for those we don't even have release dates or mockup shots.

Like, it's gotten so bad with news that Amiibos aren't even being announced anymore. The thing that helped Nintendo turn around their profit outlook...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well, at minimum I expect some kind of Amiibo news. Investors love them, they make boatloads of money and yet we don't really have any announced for next year besides some C tier Animal Crossing characters and the last three Smash characters (Lucas, Roy and Ryu). And for those we don't even have release dates or mockup shots.

Like, it's gotten so bad with news that Amiibos aren't even being announced anymore. The thing that helped Nintendo turn around their profit outlook...
Considering their implementation in Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, there have to be amiibos in the work for Waluigi and Boo.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
People said the same thing about Mario Party 10. It's certainly possible, but don't expect anything. I think a Zelda line is more likely.
All Amiibos did in Mario Party 10 was unlock new boards. The amiibos in Ultra Smash allow you to AI train a character. It would be strange if you could only use that feature for some of the cast.

Clov

Considering their implementation in Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, there have to be amiibos in the work for Waluigi and Boo.

About time we got a Waluigi amiibo! I've been waiting for one since Mario Party 10. I'm hoping we get a regular Mario series Rosalina as well, and Wario in his classic outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom