• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
The massive jump in requirements between Pichu and Mewtwo is ridiculous.

You just naturally unlock everyone up to Pichu just kind of exploring the game and playing Single Player.

And then Mewtwo throws this obnoxious multiplayer only unlock method at you.

It was cool as a kid hearing the rumor that if you leave your Gamecube on all night, Mewtwo will appear. Because it's actually true, despite sounding like some playground nonsense. But now it just sort of ruins replayability.

Back before the internet became truly all pervasive secret characters were sort of interesting because you likely didn't know who was coming unless you were dedicatedly rummaging about fan sites on the net. Now they don't really work unless you go out of your way to avoid talking to anyone who plays the game or reading any of the sites you probably regularly check, which isn't really practical for a lot of people :p

For peeps who are involved in fighting communities it's a pain in the rear too because it means every setup has to be fully unlocked for any tournaments you're going to run and in a social situation where you go round someone's house who's not an avid fighter, it's painful to see some of the cast missing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
In the month before Smash Wii U came out I had to start up a new melee save, the criteria to unlock Mewtwo basically ended that run for me.
If you have two or more GCN controllers you can just leave a one-stock match on Final Destination overnight.

EDIT: Already got Jiggs!

My second cousin used to spend his summers at my grandma's house, so we'd hang out the entire time. He's 364 days younger than I am, so we're basically the same age. We also both loved our Nintendo consoles.

We had worked our way through all the characters and all of the stages (except the N64 ones and Battlefield/Final Destination). Or so we thought...

"No way will this work. Not a chance Mewtwo is in this game, that would be too cool"

Next morning WARNING, CHALLENGER APPROACHING

My cousin and I nearly lost it. We knew exactly who it was from the shadow. Oh my god, that was insane.

And then we heard a few weeks later "If you use every character in classic, you get a strange character named Game something."

Sure enough we tried that as well (it took all day) and sure enough, there was this bizarre 2D man. We didn't know who he was at all. I remember telling my cousin maybe he was from Earthbound, because I heard that game was "weird" and Game and Watch was weird. So we decided Game and Watch was a Earthbound character, maybe from a spin off or something we never heard of.

Also who the heck is Marth and Roy? What's a Fire Emblem? Why does Falco play exactly like Fox? There's a Doctor Mario, what?

WAIT, YOU'RE TELLING ME SMASH 64 STAGES CAN BE UNLOCKED!?

My cousin and I would sneak some reading time at EB Games to look at the Melee guide.

Oh man, Melee just kept delivering on the bombs. For about half a year it seemed like new features, stages and characters appeared.

And now that I'm older, I only look at Melee's requirements, not as ways to trickle in content and surprise me as I unlock it, but rather as annoyances and time wasters.

My cousin and I also didn't even realize Ganondorf was a clone until about a year later when we noticed he was kind of familiar, but we couldn't quite place it. Then we realized he was the same as Falcon and our minds were blown because we had unlocked Ganondorf the previous summer lol.

I dug the Game & Watch Gallery games on the Game Boy so Mr. G&W's appearance in Melee wasn't a total mystery to me despite only being 10-ish. Had no clue who the Ice Climbers or Fire Emblem guys were though. Vaguely got what Ness and Samus were from, but didn't get into their games until I was older. Everyone else I was already a big fan of.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Got Dr. Mario! Things Melee objectively beats the hell out of Smash Wii U:

-Sound design. Every hit sounds painful. (Smash 64 is better with the bowling pins effects though)
-Classic Mode is short and to the point. (Smash 3DS is even shorter and more to the point though)

P.S. I don't know how the hell I used to play Smash without Tap Jump turned off.

I'm from the same litter as Sakurai's cat, and she told me that the next character will be a fish.

yesss

tumblr_nur5ijFPgA1qh7zxeo1_1280.png

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I got Jiggs, Dr Mario, Luigi, Marth, and Roy in under two hours. I'll start the Mewtwo grind right now and continue tomorrow morning.
Back before the internet became truly all pervasive secret characters were sort of interesting because you likely didn't know who was coming unless you were dedicatedly rummaging about fan sites on the net. Now they don't really work unless you go out of your way to avoid talking to anyone who plays the game or reading any of the sites you probably regularly check, which isn't really practical for a lot of people :p

For peeps who are involved in fighting communities it's a pain in the rear too because it means every setup has to be fully unlocked for any tournaments you're going to run and in a social situation where you go round someone's house who's not an avid fighter, it's painful to see some of the cast missing.
Yeah, but at least back then you had the ability to copy save files through the memory card. I imagine stuff like customs would have actually caught on if there was any way to share a complete save file across the community.

I got Jiggs, Dr Mario, Luigi, Marth, and Roy in under two hours. I'll start the Mewtwo grind right now and continue tomorrow morning.

Yeah, but at least back then you had the ability to copy save files through the memory card. I imagine stuff like customs would have actually caught on if there was any way to share a complete save file across the community.

Yeah, imagine if Nintendo had made some kind of portable object that could store game data, Sakurai could've used it for something really useful like that.
~looks at amiibos on shelf and sighs~

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yeah, imagine if Nintendo had made some kind of portable object that could store game data, Sakurai could've used it for something really useful like that.
~looks at amiibos on shelf and sighs~
Don't amiibos hold like 8KB of data? The Standard GCN memory card was 4 MB or something. Amiibos wouldn't help with that.

I would have suggested just linking a 3DS version of the game and checking what characters and moves have been unlocked. But alas, Sakurai.

Don't amiibos hold like 8KB of data? The Standard GCN memory card was 4 MB or something. Amiibos wouldn't help with that.

I would have suggested just linking a 3DS version of the game and checking what characters and moves have been unlocked. But alas, Sakurai.
I doubt you need 8kb just to specify which specials and skin you've chosen on your custom. heck you could fit your control profile on there too :p

Using the 3DS as an unlock or similar is something a lot of people were hoping for before the Wii-U version finally came out but nope, of course not.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I though Mr. Game & Watch was going to be a literal Game & Watch with feet and hands when I first saw his name in an unlock list.

We could get another stage update with some balance changes and Mii Fighter costumes like the last two major patches, but I can't help but feel we won't be getting new characters until a little into next year.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I expect them to randomly dump a trailer onto their YouTube channel in November. It's safe to say that there won't be a Nintendo Direct anytime soon.

Yep, that's what I have been saying. We are more likely to get character(s) and/or updates in November!

We could get another stage update with some balance changes and Mii Fighter costumes like the last two major patches, but I can't help but feel we won't be getting new characters until a little into next year.

It's possible that we could get characters next month then other characters in 2016.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Apologies for Double Post;

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...cked_with_friendly_rivalry_and_mutual_respect

Naka: I'd like to see Sonic in a Smash Bros. game someday. (laughs) Actually, I talked about it at Space World with the director of the last Smash Bros. He said "I wish you'd have said something sooner!" (laughs)

Miyamoto: Well, if Sega is ok with it, we can add him anytime. I like that idea! (laughs)

It would be very interesting to see what kind of movesets they would come up with Sonic and Snake if they actually make in Melee. I would imagine that the movesets wouldn't be same which we were familiar with.

I don't mind Sonic's Smash moveset.

Yea, maybe it feels sort of rushed if you really look at it closely, but going into a ball is what Sonic does. That and running are his main gimmicks.

His side special feels more like the 3D spin dash, while his down special is the 2D dash. He has his trademark homing attack. His Spring Jump is creative and they even worked his Sonic 3 mid jump spin attack as his neutral air.

The rest of his attacks would have been made up whether he was rushed or not.

If Sonic was in Melee, he'd probably play basically the same. Nothing he does in Brawl is out of the ordinary for a Melee character. Heck, Sonic could have probably worked as-is in 64. He's not complicated at all.

Ryce

I'm glad Sonic has the move set that he does. He's depicted as though the Sonic series died after Adventure, and that's a good thing.

If by some miracle Eggman got in, this needs to be his trailer song and added to the game ASAP, so modern Sonic can't be ignored too much lol

Eggman is one of those pie in the sky characters I'd absolutely adore in Smash, but know he has no chance.

There's piles of woodland animals they'd throw in before they'd add Eggman, one of my favorite villains of all time with my favorite voice acting of pretty much any video game character. Modern Eggman >>>>>>>> Classic Eggman, and that's pretty much the only Sonic character I will say that's true for.

Eggman is a boss and deserves so much more in Smash than random trophies. Imagine if Bowser was nothing but an afterthought trophy!

Dr. Buni

Sonic's moveset is garbage and ignores a lot of cool stuff he can do in his games. I wish it was for the most part different from what it is now. I couldn't care less if some of his moves would come from post Sonic Adventure games, in fact, that would actually be a real good thing since the best 3D Sonic games came after the mediocre Adventure.

Sonic's moveset is garbage and ignores a lot of cool stuff he can do in his games.

Like?

Boosting is the only one I can think of, besides going deep into SA/2 Powerups, which aren't really well known or consistent in the series.

He rolls into a ball and runs fast. He also has a homing attack. These are his notable powers in his games, and the ones he also has in Smash.

The only move of Sonic's I think is lame is his side special being basically the same thing as his down special.

It should probably be changed to some kind of boost power.

Sonic's moveset is pretty boring. I don't mind him being a ball a lot - it's his main form of attack in pretty much every game after all - but I don't understand why they couldn't have filled out his normals with moves from Sonic Battle, for instance. He practically already has a moveset just pulling from there! His super cool breakdancing heavy attack would have been a much more interesting forward smash than a regular-ass punch.

And yeah two Spin Dashes is probably a bit much. I can't help but feel like his inclusion was rushed in several ways - his victory music is (still!) ported from Sonic 06, for instance.

PK Gaming

Sonic's moveset is pretty bad. Not as bad as it was in Brawl (thank god) but it's bland, uninspired and frankly irritating for both the player and their opponent.

Sonic's moveset is pretty bad. Not as bad as it was in Brawl (thank god) but it's bland, uninspired and frankly irritating for both the player and their opponent.

Pretty much where I stand, Sonic is a character who I feel should be in my regular rotation but his moveset keeps me faaaar away.

Sonic's moveset is pretty boring. I don't mind him being a ball a lot - it's his main form of attack in pretty much every game after all - but I don't understand why they couldn't have filled out his normals with moves from Sonic Battle, for instance. He practically already has a moveset just pulling from there! His super cool breakdancing heavy attack would have been a much more interesting forward smash than a regular-ass punch.

And yeah two Spin Dashes is probably a bit much. I can't help but feel like his inclusion was rushed in several ways - his victory music is (still!) ported from Sonic 06, for instance.

I agree with this. I kind of see what they were going with Sonic, him being a fast guy who turns into a ball just like in the 90s, but I dunno. It just kinda seems arbitrary to ignore Sonic Battle just because "it was released in the 2000s ahuh". I prefer Project M's portrayal of Sonic.

Also, yeah fighting Sonic in Smash 4 is like trying to pull teeth out. He's an almost completely unpunishable character in a game basically about punishing.

Sonic's moveset is easily the most boring of the five third-party Smash characters. He's still fun to play with, but his non-existent face animations compel me not to play as him too much.

in before arrrrrghhhh brawl center mouth/long quills

Back before the internet became truly all pervasive secret characters were sort of interesting because you likely didn't know who was coming unless you were dedicatedly rummaging about fan sites on the net. Now they don't really work unless you go out of your way to avoid talking to anyone who plays the game or reading any of the sites you probably regularly check, which isn't really practical for a lot of people :p.
That's an understatement.
You basically couldn't be on gaf from smash being announced to release because every time a new character was announced there would be at least one thread with it right in the title on the front page for at least a day, probably a lot more.

Azure J

Sonic's moveset is easily the most boring of the five third-party Smash characters. He's still fun to play with, but his non-existent face animations compel me not to play as him too much.

in before arrrrrghhhh brawl center mouth/long quills

This post reminds me, as much as I feel Sakurai nailed the hell out of Megaman in Smash 4 (seriously, the Smash 4 incarnation managed to finally give props to the best incarnation of the character that has ever existed - Hitoshi Ariga's), I'm to this day so sad that Megaman's upB wasn't some form of Rush Jet. The Megaman 8 intro, much like the Sonic CD intro, did a lot of things to my ideal perception of the character that persist to this day and getting lame Rush Coil over awesome dogbot hoverboard hurts, especially when all three third parties get a "spring into air" jump special. :lol

TrueBlue

Sonic could use the Boost as a side special ala Meta Knight;s Drill Rush or something. Be a good way to implement a modern move into Sonic's arsenal.

Eggman would be awesome too - definitely should be the second SEGA rep if they ever have one.

This post reminds me, as much as I feel Sakurai nailed the hell out of Megaman in Smash 4 (seriously, the Smash 4 incarnation managed to finally give props to the best incarnation of the character that has ever existed - Hitoshi Ariga's), I'm to this day so sad that Megaman's upB wasn't some form of Rush Jet. The Megaman 8 intro, much like the Sonic CD intro, did a lot of things to my ideal perception of the character that persist to this day and getting lame Rush Coil over awesome dogbot hoverboard hurts, especially when all three third parties get a "spring into air" jump special. :lol

It's funny because for whatever reason I always imagined the taller Mega Man we saw in MM8/MVC2 as being his visual representation in Smash.

The one we got though is just too perfect. Probably tied with Snake as my favorite third-party representation in Smash.

> Mega Man being one of the first and only NES games where the main character blinks
> Mega Man does not blink in Smash Bros

Since he blinked in his trailer, I wonder if it's actually a bug, like ROB's eyes. It's a really strange detail to remove from a character whose blinking is actually kind of an important part of his design, given the era he is from.

NotLiquid

I like Sonic's moveset, even if I have some niggles with it. I don't fully agree with there being two versions of the spin dash, and I do wish he had his Sonic Eagle move from Battle as his FAir since I imagine it'd be a great meteor (Project M did this at least so I guess there's that). Even so it's easy for me to forget about it once I play him since he's a lot of fun to me, blazing around getting some fast hits. ZeRo's analysis video was pretty spot-on about him imo.

I just feel bad playing him due to every one always hating having to deal with him lmao. I'm happy he's finally good in Smash 4 but man, bit of a bummer he's overall had some sour treatment throughout the Smash games. Then again I think most Sonic mains learn to not give a shit.

On the topic of Mega Man, windfishes raises an interesting point about character detail considering with Mega Man they even went so far as to have the animation detail of his elongated foot in the original games carrying into Smash. I don't think anyone else would have done that.

BKSmash

> Mega Man being one of the first and only NES games where the main character blinks

Since he blinked in his trailer, I wonder if it's actually a bug, like ROB's eyes. It's a really strange detail to remove from a character whose blinking is actually kind of an important part of his design, given the era he is from.

I also find this extremely weird.
and very very freaky

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I didn't even notice (or realize) that. I decided to check Mega Man for Smash Bros trailer and HE ONLY BLINKED ONCE in the trailer. How the heck did you managed to catch that?

I will test Smash 4 later and see if he could blink in the game.

Dr. Buni

I think it makes sense Mega Man doesn't blink, since his eyes are kinda like monitors and not really eyes, as show in the trailer... but in the same trailer he blinks, so w/e.
I just feel bad playing him due to every one always hating having to deal with him lmao. .
That is one more reason to play him, if anything :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom