• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
PgGCCRE.jpg
*Breathing Intensifies*

please...

I’m bored, so here are my top four requests (barring Ice Climbers, for technical reasons)…

gfhtu9P.png

First Appearance: Rhythm Heaven (2008) | Latest Appearance: Rhythm Tengoku: The Best + (2015)

I did the “honest” thing by taking the survey just once, with my vote being cast for the Chorus Kids. Rhythm Heaven is the most significant Nintendo franchise without a playable character in Smash Bros., and I’ve really grown to like the Chorus Kids. They’re goofy and charming, and I could easily envision their move set bringing out the best of Rhythm Heaven.

mlxfBVQ.png

First Appearance: Star Fox 64 (1997) | Latest Appearance: Star Fox U (2015) [assumed]

Wolf is the last remaining plausible veteran, and he was one of my most used characters in Brawl. With Star Fox U on the horizon, I’d be shocked if we didn’t get Wolf at some point.

5HLTbso.png

First Appearance: Donkey Kong Country 2 (1995) | Latest Appearance: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2014)

Dixie Kong is one of Nintendo’s earliest female protagonists, and she recently appeared as a playable character in Tropical Freeze. Donkey Kong could use another representative, and I’d much rather have Dixie than K. Rool. And no, she’s not a Diddy clone.

JYT97oR.png

First Appearance: Splatoon (2015)

Splatoon is a new EAD game with a significant internal push (amiibo!), and it looks incredibly fun to boot. The Inklings are tailor-made for Smash Bros. with their colorful personalities and variety of ink-based weaponry.

0e3.png

JoeM86

To be honest, I'd rather not see any third party characters added in this manner. We have a wealth of Nintendo characters who are viable, let's do those before we get Rayman, Banjo etc.

ffdgh

To be honest, I'd rather not see any third party characters added in this manner. We have a wealth of Nintendo characters who are viable, let's do those before we get Rayman, Banjo etc.

Let's say Banjo is a special case. He certainly is still a Nintendo character to many deep down.

I voted for Wolf but wanted to vote for Ray from Custom Robo.

Wolf is my favorite character in brawl and I'd love to be able to play as him again. With Lucas making a reappearance Wolf seems like a completely viable option. Plus with Star Fox U in the works I feel like if there's at least a little fan demand he'll be put in. I hope my vote goes to solidifying his return.

On the other hand Custom Robo needs some love, and Ray getting an upgrade from assist trophy to fighter like Little Mac would be glorious. He could have multiple jumps and be very projectile based which could be unique and fun to play.

I imagine Shovel Knight is getting that many votes because of that one fake made of him. I really, really doubt he'd even come close to that high on a poll not taken on Reddit.

I think I should give up on Hadés, he got like 0,61% lol.

I'm hesitating between Wonder Red or Isaac but Isaac seems already well supported. Go Wonder Red

9xPg21I.gif

Like I said earlier, I think if there's another FE character, it will probably be someone from If. We really don't need two clones of Marth in one game anyway.

Like I said earlier, I think if there's another FE character, it will probably be someone from If. We really don't need two clones of Marth in one game anyway.
Smash should never operate on the "new shiny" principle. Characters have to prove themselves to be in Smash and there wouldn't possible be enough time for anyone from If to prove themselves before all the DLC is over.

I know that's ironic to say and turn around and want Roy... but he was a clone and basically a bonus.

If you don't want a second clone of Marth, don't buy him. Me and tons of other people would be ecstatic if Roy returned.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I'm also incredibly surprised at Shovel Knight. Beyond him, King K Rool is in the lead, followed by Isaac.

He might actually have a chance.

Durden77

What, the Facebook post pretty much killed those hopes.
Honestly, I'm a bit heart-broken that the last sliver of hope for Snake is gone.

1. This is a popularity contest. Nothing more, nothing less. Nintendo is just using this to get a sense of who the people want to see, and to get people talking about Smash again. And it's working. Even Phil Spencer is talking about it now with Banjo. Sure some characters are more likely than others, but no one is "wasting" votes.

2. Here's the statement right in your face on the official ballot page..

"Do you want your favorite video-game character to join the battle in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U? Well, here's your chance. If you post a video-game character’s name, we’ll consider turning that character into a Smash fighter!"

If the Facebook post was made before the ballot went up, I could be doing the same thing you're doing but in reverse. And I personally would take what the official page says over a Facebook post anyday.

Just get people pumped to vote for Wonder Red instead of trying to come up with baseless reasons why people's dream characters shouldn't be voted for. You're just sucking the fun out of it.

I actually don't understand the general sentiment that it's impossible (or improbable, even), that Sakurai would include Ice Climbers on Wii U only or Wii U and n3DS.

"They wouldn't waste resources on a character that only some people could buy, especially when the bigger player base can't buy it." Okay, well there's the fact that Sakurai said they had them working on Wii U. If that's the case, then would it not be worth it to finish them? I'm sure nearly all Wii U players would buy them. If they really were ready on Wii U, then the resources required to finish them can't be very significant. I can't fathom them failing to make a profit on Ice Climbers, even if they were just Wii U and n3DS.

"Sakurai said they don't prioritize characters with no upcoming games." Oh, well you must've missed how they announced Lucas. Or how Duck Hunt was a retro choice. This statement was Sakurai tomfoolery at its finest. I would not be suprised in the least if he said that solely to dance around the idea that he's considering how to include them as DLC.

"Yeah, well that would screw over the 3DS players." In no universe does this make sense. None. If you think this, you have to be some kind of delusional. 3DS players can't play Ice Climbers at all, period, ever, short of a technical miracle. This is true regardless of what other platform they are available for. There will be no great wave of 3DS rebellion if the Wii U gets a character they can't play anyways. (Anecdotal evidence incoming): I have several friends who only play the 3DS version, and they've told me they would be ecstatic if Ice Climbers were announced, even if it were only for the Wii U version, or just on n3DS. This isn't about doing something to spite one of the player bases, it's about getting a character back.

So yeah, I'm remaining cautiously hopeful about Ice Climbers. If they end up not returning, I would consider it a really poor decision. If they're anywhere near operational on Wii U, it makes no sense to not complete them.

Smash should never operate on the "new shiny" principle. Characters have to prove themselves to be in Smash and there wouldn't possible be enough time for anyone from If to prove themselves before all the DLC is over.

I know that's ironic to say and turn around and want Roy... but he was a clone and basically a bonus.

If you don't want a second clone of Marth, don't buy him. Me and tons of other people would be ecstatic if Roy returned.

Well people seem to want Inkling even though Splatoon isn't even out yet. Not to mention Greninja was chosen before XY were even announced and Fire Emblem Awakening was only out for a short time before the roster was decided (although I'm guessing the actual character hadn't been decided yet). A popular character from If isn't a stretch at all since the ballot ends in October and If is released in June for Japan.

Fandangox

If Sakurai wanted parity roster so much that he actually decided to cut a character that worked properly in one version he is NOT have the team add him as DLC.

Especially for the N3DS which I assume should be compatible to play online against regular 3DS players. If he didn't want sacrifice parity for two platforms that were not going to be able to play each other, he has even less reason to do so on a platform that would actually fragment the userbase, makes no sense.

Well people seem to want Inkling Splatoon ins't even out yet. Not to mention Greninja was chosen before XY were even announced and Fire Emblem Awakening was only out for a short time before the roster was decided (although I'm guessing the actual character hadn't been decided yet). A popular character from If isn't a stretch at all since the ballot ends in October and If is released in June for Japan.

You forgot to mention about Roy in Melee.

Wow, I'm really happy to see all the love Shovel Knight is getting. He and Yacht Club Games absolutely, totally deserve it.

I would be overjoyed if he got in. The Blue Bomber, the Blue Blur, and the Blue Burrower, all in one game together!

I'm so torn.

• Solid Snake. I need to have him back in the roster
  • Splatoon...they seem like they'd fit so well in here too
  • Bayonetta would also be badass.
  • KOSMOS. Come on, Namco already has a hand here. She'd kick so much butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom