• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack thread really makes me want Lip in more now. :lol

Lip still is one of my most wanted newcomers, probably right after Ridley and Syrup. At least out of Nintendo's stable.

Though I am glad she gets as much recognition as she does. She has her main theme song in both Brawl and 4, has an item based on her since Melee, and Panel de Pon's garbage blocks are in Kirby's down B. That's a lot more than one could expect from a Japan-exclusive version of a puzzle game series that was rebranded into Pokemon and Yoshi and has kinda died off.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I thought they have filtered Miiverse stuff, I just saw a rather hilarious bara Charizard art with even a text "I can use Rest too"

Maybe their first mobile game is a revival of the hit ip "Ice Climber" and with it comes the release of Ice Climbers in Smash with a new stage called "Infinite Glacier" which is basically a vertical scrolling stage like Icicle Mountain except at a set (slow) speed and in 2D retro graphics.

Kevinroc

So, people are expecting Smash DLC news to be a part of the next Direct and not just randomly uploaded to Nintendo's youtube (like the Mario Maker stage was)?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So, people are expecting Smash DLC news to be a part of the next Direct and not just randomly uploaded to Nintendo's youtube (like the Mario Maker stage was)?

Smash Characters (DLC) got announced by Directs so I don't really see them changing the plans like that.

Azure J

As much as I like the Duck Hunt
trio
Duo, Lip was my favorite candidate for a retro newcomer in Smash 4. I hope she still gets in someday.

Also, Direct lives!

Takamaru & Lip are my "far out in front" wants from the Nintendo Vault™ at this point. I honestly kinda blame Brawl hype & Captain Rainbow for my desire to see both of them join in and I hope they both have enough in the tank to push them over to the playable side of things in the future.

I will always also harbor a desire for Mike Jones, but I'm realistic about his chances bar some incredible change of fate regarding his series and a more global release/announcement.

Traditionally, new stages got trailers, but then Pirate Ship gets a Twitter post an hour after it's released without any trailer, so I don't know if a character needs to be tied to a Direct anymore.

Well, I think it goes without saying that characters are a much bigger deal than stages, so I don't think they'll just randomly drop a trailer out of the blue without any fan fair.

If not a Direct, it's possible they could do what they did with Robin/Lucina/CF's reveal and announce they're going to a show a new character announcement trailer a few days from then.

Mario Maker has Charizard vore levels now. I think they've given up.

2869076-5755023167-Simps.gif

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well, I think it goes without saying that characters are a much bigger deal than stages, so I don't think they'll just randomly drop a trailer out of the blue without any fan fair.

If not a Direct, it's possible they could do what they did with Robin/Lucina/CF's reveal and announce they're going to a show a new character announcement trailer a few days from then.

Bingo

If anyone doubts Inklings will be in Smash at some point, they're now being branded as a big time Nintendo franchise along with the usual series
34l.jpg

Also Twilight Princess HD art lol

Golnei

If anyone doubts Inklings will be in Smash at some point, they're now being branded as a big time Nintendo franchise along with the usual series
34l.jpg

Also Twilight Princess HD art lol

Samus looks so out of place with that ugly black-shaded Other M render. They should have used the Smash (or Kyary) one.

Golnei

I mean, Link and Fox look out of place as well

Link looks fine - he's more detailed, but the style of rendering is consistent. Fox is a little more conspicuous, but trying to replicate fabric makes it work better with the overall image - the effect would be the same if they'd chosen to use the knitted Yoshi instead of the regular one. Samus' render just looks outdated.

Smash 4 Wii U has sold the most DLC of Nintendo's games. Mario Kart 8 in second, and Smash 3DS in third, apparently.

That might be why they didn't care about releasing a Wii U only DLC stage.

I'm glad Smash doesn't have actual theme songs like this (I'm not sure Brawl's choir bits count), but I'll agree that opening does a way better idea of integrating all the CGI character trailers and making sure every character gets a chance to show up.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm glad Smash doesn't have actual theme songs like this (I'm not sure Brawl's choir bits count), but I'll agree that opening does a way better idea of integrating all the CGI character trailers and making sure every character gets a chance to show up.
Manly anime songs always make everything more epic. But it's more of a case that the Smash 4 main theme is just not very exciting.
Even the footage is edited in a way that makes it a lot more exciting than what we got
It's so good you don't even notice the random Sonic Colors clip.

Color me
un
surprised that Wii U sold more DLC. I'm going to guess that a lot of people who bought the 3DS version aren't playing too regularly anymore.

They should consider one or two more MK8 DLC packs to give that title a boost through the end of the Wii U's life if NX is as close as so many think.

Which would be a wrong guess, since the 3DS playerbase still is enormous. Not surprised to read baseless claims about the handheld version though.

Not baseless in the fact that Wii U DLC outsold 3DS DLC (as did MK8 DLC). That doesn't necessarily mean Wii U has more active players, but it doesn't help prove that 3DS has more active players.

No sarcasm, I'd like to see hard numbers on how many active players there are for each version. I would be sincerely shocked if there were more regular players on the handheld version. Mostly because I'd guess the casual (read: not particularly involved with the game beyond launch window) player base is larger for 3DS.

Crayolan

Not baseless in the fact that Wii U DLC outsold 3DS DLC (as did MK8 DLC). That doesn't necessarily mean Wii U has more active players, but it doesn't help prove that 3DS has more active players.

No sarcasm, I'd like to see hard numbers on how many active players there are for each version. I would be sincerely shocked if there were more regular players on the handheld version. Mostly because I'd guess the casual (read: not particularly involved with the game beyond launch window) player base is larger for 3DS.

Source?

Zubz

Banned

Eh. The last "Hyrule Warriors" Direct didn't touch on Smash at all. And honestly, I think it's just a trailer. Unlike Mario Tennis, people'll get hyped about it, and unlike Mario Maker, it's for a game that isn't out yet. I can see Nintendo drumming up interest for a lone Hyrule Warriors Trailer. It'd be cool if, say, this was building up to a Skull Kid or Lana trailer, but if anything outside of Hyrule Warriors is revealed here, my guess is that it's Twilight Princess HD.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Eh. The last "Hyrule Warriors" Direct didn't touch on Smash at all. And honestly, I think it's just a trailer. Unlike Mario Tennis, people'll get hyped about it, and unlike Mario Maker, it's for a game that isn't out yet. I can see Nintendo drumming up interest for a lone Hyrule Warriors Trailer. It'd be cool if, say, this was building up to a Skull Kid or Lana trailer, but if anything outside of Hyrule Warriors is revealed here, my guess is that it's Twilight Princess HD.

Gotta to hype up for Female Link!

Golnei

I hope they go with 'Linkle' because it sounds so stupid.

It's a fitting name for Link's little sister.

...Actually, I'm kind of interested in what the initial reaction to Linkle will be - a lot of the negativity towards her is predicated on the idea that she's a female Link, equivalent to him in every way. If she's a fawning obsessive fan whose moveset highlights her youth and inexperience, (which she would have to be, because it fits the archetype perfectly, and Hyrule Warriors' original characters are anything but subtle in that regard) it couldn't fall further from the preconceptions people have already built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom