• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
yeah it is probably nothing ....

28iNAnm.png

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/659945573475307520

...or maybe it is EVERYTHING ?

That's Sunday, so it's probably nothing.

The meltdowns will be glorious.

I'm pretty sure.

It's a fitting name for Link's little sister.

...Actually, I'm kind of interested in what the initial reaction to Linkle will be - a lot of the negativity towards her is predicated on the idea that she's a female Link, equivalent to him in every way. If she's a fawning obsessive fan whose moveset highlights her youth and inexperience, (which she would have to be, because it fits the archetype perfectly, and Hyrule Warriors' original characters are anything but subtle in that regard) it couldn't fall further from the preconceptions people have already built.
I'm just expecting her to showcase some of the weapons (like the crossbow) regular Link doesn't already tbh. If she's anything like Toon Link she may very well not even factor into the expanded plot anyway, making her personality something the player can infer for themselves I guess.

Perfectly cool with her being a sister/separate person or whateves, I just think the design they had when she was originally cut was pretty cool.

I'm kind of curious if the Wii U DLC selling more is actually people buying more Wii U specific DLC, or people like me who just buy 3DS DLC on the Wii U shop because it's easier to use.

backlot

I'm kind of curious if the Wii U DLC selling more is actually people buying more Wii U specific DLC, or people like me who just buy 3DS DLC on the Wii U shop because it's easier to use.

If you buy the 3DS DLC from the Wii U eshop you just get a code you have to enter in the 3DS eshop anyway. It's not any easier.

Ryce

Seems like the Clown Car design is gonna be Bowser Jr.'s default from now on. Yet another thing Smash adds to the canon.
The Junior Clown Car has been prevalent since New Super Mario Bros. Wii. NSMBU, Sticker Star, and Dream Team predate (or coincide with) Smash Bros., and they all feature Bowser Jr. in the Clown Car. Even the arm extensions in Mario Tennis use the NSMBU design.

The Junior Clown Car has been prevalent since New Super Mario Bros. Wii. NSMBU, Sticker Star, and Dream Team predate (or coincide with) Smash Bros., and they all feature Bowser Jr. in the Clown Car. Even the arm extensions in Mario Tennis use the NSMBU design.

Yea, but never as a playable character in the car until Smash. Bowser had appeared in the Clown Car several times before as well, but he's never been in it while playable.

Plenty of spin offs staring Jr as a playable character have come out since NSMB Wii, but only Smash and now Tennis are the only two to have him in the car at all times. Traditionally he had always just been on the ground like normal, Smash started the trend of him being playable in the car.

It's his secondary kart. And it belongs to him. Just because you can unlock the ability to drive any kart with every driver doesn't mean it's not his - default or not. That's completely irrelevant.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This thread is going to become quieter since we just lost other member here.
I'm pretty sure that few people here are relieved tho

Dr. Buni

This thread is going to become quieter since we just lost other member here.
I'm pretty sure that few people here are relieved tho
Gonzo was a bit harsh with his opinions, but I would take him over one or two other members here (like balladetc who have the power of ruining discussions at times).

Gonzo's post in the XCX thread was really stupid though.

Gonzo was a bit harsh with his opinions, but I would take him over one or two other members here (like balladetc who have the power of ruining discussions at times).

Gonzo's post in the XCX thread was really stupid though.

The thread about Lin's localization changes, what did he say?

Speaking of which, I need to stop posting stupid stuff in threads like this one too.

I'm still a K. Rool supporter, but then again I also support DK characters in general. I'll miss Gonzo.
I'm still down as having K. Rool as my neorice icon if he ever gets in (I got bored of Toon Link); I just don't think it's that big a deal he get in over Dixie. I still absolutely want one or the other to be DLC.

I've always supported K. Rool but Gonzo went so far as to claim the ballot would be a sham if K.Rool wasn't added, so that made it hard to voice that in any earnestness.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I've been vocal about disliking K. Rool as a character, but the way some misconstrued that as me saying K. Rool didn't deserve to get into the game over other candidates always left me a sour taste.

Let's move on to something else, it's all in the past now.

---

Anyway, no rumor has yet panned out and the trickle of Smash news has dried up completely. We're quickly approaching the longest length of time we've had to wait for a character--it's been 140 days since the release of Lucas, Roy, and Ryu, while it was 145 days between the release of the Wii U version and Mewtwo. And we don't know a single damn thing about what's coming, while Mewtwo was revealed before the Wii U version was released, and Lucas was revealed before Mewtwo released. I can't help but think keeping the fanbase in the dark is the best way to keep momentum.

EDIT: Though if you wanted to be pedantic you could stretch out the Mewtwo length to 227 days by starting from the initial Japanese release of the 3DS version and the date that you could purchase Mewtwo if you didn't register both versions. But even still, this is definitely the longest length of time in this game's marketing cycle for which we have gone with absolutely no character information at all and that's just a marketing failure in my view.

Since E3 and onwards this year has been a pretty big marketing failure on Nintendo's part; it's pretty obvious Iwata had a huge hand in how Nintendo presented itself to the public. Even more so than I originally assumed.

Zubz

Banned
That sucks about Gonzo. I mean, he was a hothead, but I wanted to see his reaction to the Shovel Knight K. Rool reveal! Plus, he wasn't a bad guy. He just really wanted a character he liked.

Anyway, I like AkuMewtwo... Er... I thought that portmanteau would work better. And I guess it's design evokes Unknown far more than its fight conditions evoke Akuma...

Regardless, I doubt the ties between him and Smash are going to go any further than that shared move, but it's still really cool looking. I'd love a DLC costume of this new Mewtwo, though, if we had full-on Alt. Costumes for some characters. Granted, being a Pokemon character means that it's unlikely, even if we do get anything, but despite being stereotypically "edgy," I'd love to see it in Smash, somehow.

I feel like the currently-undated-but-announced-as-existing Direct before the end of the year will be where our next Smash info comes from. Whether it be stages, a character announcement, or more mii costumes I have no idea.

But Nintendo revealing that the Smash DLC is their top selling digital purchase on both Wii U and 3DS tells me they might be trying to figure out how long that train will keep rolling before it runs out of steam. And honestly it's probably longer than they think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom