• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

I'll personally miss Gonzo, few interactions we had were good and although many apparently found him obnoxious I never did. If K. Rool is ever announced for the love of all that's holy let him login again, if only for that day heh.

Also, I'm betting a pretty penny we get Smash news this week.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'll personally miss Gonzo, few interactions we had were good and although many apparently found him obnoxious I never did. If K. Rool is ever announced for the love of all that's holy let him login again, if only for that day heh.

Also, I'm betting a pretty penny we get Smash news this week.

Yeah, Novemeber is going to be Smash's month! (cross his fingers)

I actually like Gonzo, his passion toward his favorite character was admirable, he wasn't as annoying as other certain members in which I haven't seen post in awhile.....

OT: November Direct or bust! I'm even considering to avatar bet on it, hey....we still do those right? <.<;

Haha, this is the icon for the new ability "Smash Brawler" in Guild Wars 2, recently added.
Smash_Brawler.png

The moment I make a Smash ripoff for real, I gotta make final boss a huge purple dragon, a huge-dragons-as-platforms stage, dragon items and assists and finish it with a playable big-enough dragon. I bet by now I would sell like 5 copies just based on that alone.

What do you mean?
Mostly how Nintendo handled its marketing. The lack of Directs is obviously beyond their control, but most of their announcements post-Iwata are just announced through sudden Twitter postings (in the case of DLC a day or two before release) and it just feels very limited compared to how stuff was with Iwata, Direct or no Direct, and I don't think it's just because Nintendo's lineup this year is more sparse than the past few years have been.

Zubz

Banned
Haha, this is the icon for the new ability "Smash Brawler" in Guild Wars 2, recently added.
Smash_Brawler.png

That's perfect! Even the Guild Wars guys know that, deep down, Ridley should be a Smash Bros. fighter.

The moment I make a Smash ripoff for real, I gotta make final boss a huge purple dragon, a huge-dragons-as-platforms stage, dragon items and assists and finish it with a playable big-enough dragon. I bet by now I would sell like 5 copies just based on that alone.

And only 4 of them would be me!

RomanceDawn

Smash_Brawler.png

That is so cool! Can the Guild Wars guys get in trouble for this icon or is Ridley just generic looking enough for this to not be an issue? I'm going to tweet this to Sakurai.

Of all the characters to pick, I absolutely love that they picked Ridley as the image for their icon. The more Ridley gets talked about outside of Smash the better! Though with prime 3, Other M and Dead or Alive featuring Ridley prominently I thought that would be enough leverage for this generation of Smash.

Please bruh... With those features you could easily make 5 million off of the rabid Ridley fans alone. We are starved.

While Nintendo's current situation with announcements/news is unfortunate, all the recent rumors and "leaks" have really burned me out so I'm not foaming at the mouth for more Smash news. For the most part, I've put it in the back of my head.

...and yet I constantly visit this thread, lol

Maybe I can tell Mr. Fornance to include such content in Rivals of Aether. ;)

Of all the characters to pick, I absolutely love that they picked Ridley as the image for their icon. The more Ridley gets talked about outside of Smash the better! Though with prime 3, Other M and Dead or Alive featuring Ridley prominently I thought that would be enough leverage for this generation of Smash.

Don't forget his inclusion in Nintendo Land!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Smash_Brawler.png

to those curious, it reduces the primal burst recharge (primal burst being some sort of "special" move) while under berserk mode

How fitting, hilariously enough

Oh and all Berserker specializations are referencing other fighting/action games.

Golnei

That is so cool! Can the Guild Wars guys get in trouble for this icon or is Ridley just generic looking enough for this to not be an issue? I'm going to tweet this to Sakurai.

It could be close enough to Meta Ridley's Brawl render to cause problems if Nintendo wanted to push.
w3t_QnNeqc4JFRvHnNaTnCMXhbijgedKFlxCF-y9CJ4IHkwx5_zmkDR5GhMNiea7l96mnezOe-ycvo75rWxy_WZigTrTi0Nmxaii5-WaqgdF7R87O1zjjGe0rAjcjSHtV5iyU2njOoX5iEkrWH9ON1McGSePn50MpDNIgbvOLJdC=w435-h338-nc

Dunno if Nintendo Land would serve well as a stage - its draw is that it takes the visuals of various Nintendo franchises just themeparkisized. Though I guess a transformation stage going through the various attractions would work.

I've been musing for a while that Nintendo Land Ridley should be an alt for Ridley if he ever became playable (as if).

I think a stage that has its main platform as the train and it cycles between attractions would be rad (with system Mii characters in the background).

It'd be really cool if Nintendo's two crossover stages were in one place like that.

Also Monita AT pls

Zubz

Banned
I think a stage that has its main platform as the train and it cycles between attractions would be rad (with system Mii characters in the background).

It'd be really cool if Nintendo's two crossover stages were in one place like that.

Also Monita AT pls

That's how I was expecting it to work, too. Granted, there's still a chance it can be DLC down the road, but my guess is that they're going to focus on Past Stages, stages tied to new characters, or stages that plug a new game. Unless they're planning a sequel, or they're adding Monita as a fighter, none of that applies to Nintendo Land.

Nintendo Land as a stage is something that I feel is the most bizarre stage omission this time around (in the Wii U version at least). Even if it was just the lobby area it would be more interesting than "Wuhu Island again" or "Battlefield but bigger...?", but it's pretty clear that the stage resources were stretched very thin due to the goofy decision to make the stage roster near completely separate.

RomanceDawn

Don't forget his inclusion in Nintendo Land!

I know as far back as Melee and the beginning of Brawl speculation, Ridley didn't seem very "deserving" compared to most of the Smash cast but now a'days I just don't see that all. I completely forgot about his inclusion in Nintendo Land. I love that he has been appearing outside of the Metroid and Smash games. I just hope he appears in more spin offs, it can only mean good things for him in a smasified future.

Man I still want a full on co-op game based on those Metroid Blast mechanics but not based on the Metroid IP.

I just saw this updated Ridley mod. A few of the concepts for his attacks are still garbage but the animations are so much smoother and easier on the eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgahvANTqnY

I know people will only see what they want to see, good or bad, but if I had no care either way I would argue this is proof of concept.

Yeah, as a proof of concept I think the Ridley mod is pretty damn good. It's incredibly rough around the edges and very amateur, but it says very loudly to me, "This is possible." Pity that Sakurai doesn't see Ridley the same way.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I still think the issue with Ridley is more his character (or lack thereof) and a combination of him being harder to implement, I never doubted he was possible to make work.

No other Smash Brother is an inhuman and unpersonable as he is, except maybe Game and Watch but he has an excuse and is the "main" of his franchise.

Gonzo picked a strange hill to die on.

Weird.

I always remember Gonzo being pretty anti-fanservice so it's odd he was so defensive about a costume that was obviously just that.

Did we ever find out if he was the dude with the K. Rool puppet?

I still think the issue with Ridley is more his character (or lack thereof) [...]

No other Smash Brother is an inhuman and unpersonable as he is, except maybe Game and Watch but he has an excuse and is the "main" of his franchise.

I seriously do not understand why people keep on saying that he has no "character", because Ridley has a personality. And even if he didn't, you know who else has no personality? All the Pokemon - since they're generic members of their species -, Mr. Game & Watch, and ROB, just to name some.

I seriously do not understand why people keep on saying that he has no "character", because Ridley has a personality. And even if he didn't, you know who else has no personality? All the Pokemon - since they're generic members of their species -, Mr. Game & Watch, and ROB, just to name some.
I would argue that most Nintendo characters have no personality. Can anyone even make an educated guess at how Link would act in a given social situation? He is a soulless doll.

I would argue that most Nintendo characters have no personality. Can anyone even make an educated guess at how Link would act in a given social situation? He is a soulless doll.

Agreed. Most "avatar" type characters have no personality, either, or very limited/generic archetypes. Ridley has as much as if not more personality than most of Smash's roster.

Personality can cover a wide spectrum, although I imagine "crazy feral purple dragon" could add some flavor to the Smash cast even if I don't care for him.

At any rate, that's actually the first half-decent Ridley mod I've seen. What was up with that announcer, though? lol

Hatchtag

Banned
I still think the issue with Ridley is more his character (or lack thereof) and a combination of him being harder to implement, I never doubted he was possible to make work.

Weird.

I always remember Gonzo being pretty anti-fanservice so it's odd he was so defensive about a costume that was obviously just that.

Did we ever find out if he was the dude with the K. Rool puppet?

The dude who had a miiverse account or a miiverse account filled with lewd splatoon art? I don't think he hated fanservice lol.

Boss Doggie

You know it's pretty weird, he has a huge dislike and warped view of Rosalina's popularity ("waifus") yet somehow he sees an obvious fanservice-y outfit fine.

Agreed. Most "avatar" type characters have no personality, either, or very limited/generic archetypes. Ridley has as much as if not more personality than most of Smash's roster.

I thought Skywardsword Link has a distinct personality, albeit little. It's mostly due to how he interacts with the cast there.

Personality can cover a wide spectrum, although I imagine "crazy feral purple dragon" could add some flavor to the Smash cast even if I don't care for him.

But Ridley isn't "crazy feral". He's massively intelligent, he's extremely cunning, and he's a megalomaniac.

A "crazy feral dragon" wouldn't be capable of building a functional robot copy of himself just to show his minions how great he is. A "crazy feral dragon" wouldn't command so much respect and worship from his minions that they go through hell and back to revive him as a cyborg zombie or clone him just so he can lead them again.

Boss Doggie

I always thought MB was commanding them, Ridley included.

With that said I always thought "Ridley always returning" is an artifact from the rather silly "Nintendo characters should always repeat themselves" viewpoint Miyamoto has.

The government structure of the space pirates never is made exactly clear. The most likely interpretation is that Mother Brain is the "main" leader (the president, if you will), and Ridley is the highest military general commanding the space pirate forces, with Kraid being second in command.
Mother Brain is not, however, mind-controlling them or commanding them like mindless drones. Ridley has his own agenda and sentience.

Yukinari

As someone who has lurked for a while, i did enjoy Gonzo's enthusiasm towards K Rool. I voted for K Rool and Chibi Robo in the ballot. Making excuses as to why a character cant be in Smash is getting old.

This week seems like a good week for a Direct.

Because they're kind of running out of time to announce these unannounced titles that apparently exist and will be released this year.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, they can celebrate the failure on the Gunpowder Plot by exploding the gaming sphere with news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom