• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing the Direct will be either this week or the next. Maybe in the week between FO4/Tomb Raider and Battlefront.

If it's not before the 20th (and that'd be incredible for Nintendo to both release a sparse holiday lineup AND not even market it) then I don't think we're seeing one until mid-late December. But even that seems like a weird time since I can see them starting off 2016 fresh with a January Direct like 2013 and 2015.

I just want Wolf back. I love the new content we've got so far but at this point, anything else on top of him would just be gravy.

Releasing Sector Z or porting Corneria to SSBU next to him would be a side of potatoes.

Muzy72

Banned
This week seems like a good week for a Direct.

Because they're kind of running out of time to announce these unannounced titles that apparently exist and will be released this year.
Pretty sure that was a mistranslation on WSJ's part.

"As you can see, a number of titles are to be released soon, and more unannounced titles that are not on this slide are currently under development."

Kimishima didn't say the unannounced titles were releasing this year. Also the slide included 3rd party games so it could be something like a LEGO game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ridley's personality is pretty much limited to outside sources, and ones that are fairly obscure like that manga, most people who play the games pretty much just see him as a giant dragon who messes shit up for Samus.

The point I'm trying to make is pretty much every Smash character is expressive, and this is because pretty much all of them have humanoid elements to their design, even the non-human characters like the Pokemon, who definitely do have a personality to their design explaining why they're such beloved mascot characters in the first place, and R.O.B., who is designed to be a friendly robot and has expressive eyes. Ridley is purposefully designed to feel alien and reptilian, he's aesthetically different from Charizard in every way, and that's why I think Sakurai has hesitated to include him since he aesthetically clashes with the rest of the playable cast. Perhaps that'd make him interesting, but I stand by my assertion his issue getting into Smash is mainly based on his visual appearance and aesthetic.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I mean, he does. He's cute.

Plus he was always designed to be a friendly ally to the gamer from his debut, even being known as an "operating buddy", so I feel it was extremely easy to design him as an enduring and expressive character.

I mean, he does. He's cute.

He doesn't, at least not on the Wii U in VS mode. ROB is entirely emotionless due to a bug that they haven't fixed yet.

Which is incredibly sad. Probably the single worst bug in Smash 4, a game that's not really all that buggy. If it was some random mode like Smash Tour or whatever, it wouldn't matter. But it's VS mode (and online), the most played mode by people.

Poor ROB :(

~automatic

Neo Member
But shiny Charizard is the Ridley colorway, lol.

Size is such a lame excuse for Ridley to not be included. Kirby is 8 inches tall in his games but is as tall as Mario's waist In Smash. Mewtwo is lighter than Pikachu in thses games, but weights 250+ pounds in the Pokemon world. The backstory with Smash is that the player is playing with action figures (trophies) so arguments against Ridley being included shouldn't even matter based on the game's premise.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When Sakurai moved to the Namco development offices Ridley's trophy was too big to fit in the box labeled 'fighters' so was shipped with the stages.

What's going on with Tamaki? He was bitching about something to do with Smash Boards and Shovel Knight on Twitter. He replied to someone saying he never said Shovel Knight was going to be in. I feel like he did though.

What's going on with Tamaki? He was bitching about something to do with Smash Boards and Shovel Knight on Twitter. He replied to someone saying he never said Shovel Knight was going to be in. I feel like he did though.
He's said that he thinks Shovel Knight is more likely than not, and that his sources have been saying that he's in, but he's never treated it as a fact, and people have been putting words in his mouth. I don't know if something else happened on Smashboards recently but a lot of people like to directly attack him over it even though he's just been reporting it as a rumor. In a lot of posts he actually kind of underplays it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What up everyone? I see nothing new on the ballot?

It's more likely that they aren't ready to showcase their characters or something like that.

He's said that he thinks Shovel Knight is more likely than not, and that his sources have been saying that he's in, but he's never treated it as a fact, and people have been putting words in his mouth. I don't know if something else happened on Smashboards recently but a lot of people like to directly attack him over it even though he's just been reporting it as a rumor.

That's why people shouldn't be too invested in rumors.

backlot

Tamaki always said he was just reporting on a rumor. He was trying to distance himself from the start. Smashboards seems to be down right now so I can't see what's been going on but I'd imagine people who took a literal interpretation of "Shovel Knight will be revealed in a couple of months" are upset that it didn't happen in that time frame.

I'm actually hoping we'll get something in time for the holiday season. They're still pushing Smash Bros as one of their must-own 3DS and Wii U titles, so maybe releasing a character late November-December would keep it in the public eye for long enough. That's probably a bit optimistic, though.

georly

I have a gut that telling me that we are going to hear something this month.

I think that if they truly are taking brand new suggestions from the ballot, sakurai would want to plan/prepare/clear any characters voted in before announcing them.

Like, if number 1 is shovel knight, for example, I'm sure sakurai would need to do the following:
  • Research shovel knight (more than just having played through the game, if he has)
  • Come up with a basic move set for shovel knight
  • Clear shovel knight with yacht club games/nintendo, legally
  • Prototype shovel knight to make sure the idea translates to the game

If all of that works out, *THEN* you announce shovel knight to the public.

You don't want to prematurely announce winners if it ends up being something you have to scrap because any one of those steps fell through.

My guess is we'll see something next year, once the 'winners' are in the prototyping phase and everything looks good.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Is it that Taco Bell you ate?
LOL I kid

It's probably bad candies that I got during Halloween. :V

There's supposed to be a Direct before the end of the year so that seems pretty likely. Can't imagine the reactions if the Direct has no Smash news.

Definitely. I'm very curious about people's reactions if we actually didn't get any smash news.

I think that if they truly are taking brand new suggestions from the ballot, sakurai would want to plan/prepare/clear any characters voted in before announcing them.

Like, if number 1 is shovel knight, for example, I'm sure sakurai would need to do the following:
  • Research shovel knight (more than just having played through the game, if he has)
  • Come up with a basic move set for shovel knight
  • Clear shovel knight with yacht club games/nintendo, legally
  • Prototype shovel knight to make sure the idea translates to the game

If all of that works out, *THEN* you announce shovel knight to the public.

You don't want to prematurely announce winners if it ends up being something you have to scrap because any one of those steps fell through.

My guess is we'll see something next year, once the 'winners' are in the prototyping phase and everything looks good.

To be frank, I don't think they are going to wait UNTIL the ballot finally ended. I'm pretty sure that Sakurai and the studio would have very clear idea with the ballot result like a month to few month after the ballot started. That's when 70-80% of the audience probably already voted for the characters.

I'm not saying that 2016 is impossible. I don't think the team that worked on the characters, would twiddling their fingers and waiting until the ballot is finally over.

two clones and two newcomer are more likely to happens .

I believe that characters chosen from the ballot started work quite some time before it actually ended. There isn't much of a reason for them to wait an entire 6 months to gather data, especially when the number of legitimate votes probably trailed off a lot after the first few months, if not the first few weeks.

...basically what IntelliHeath said.

Jawmuncher

latest

Soon

But shiny Charizard is the Ridley colorway, lol.

Size is such a lame excuse for Ridley to not be included. Kirby is 8 inches tall in his games but is as tall as Mario's waist In Smash. Mewtwo is lighter than Pikachu in thses games, but weights 250+ pounds in the Pokemon world. The backstory with Smash is that the player is playing with action figures (trophies) so arguments against Ridley being included shouldn't even matter based on the game's premise.

I honestly never though it was right to compare Ridley to Kirby or Olimar. You're comparing an NPC boss to playable characters. Here's an image I made once:

Dbgo9Bn.png

It would appear that, at the very least, Sakurai wants to keep the characters and enemies proportionate to each other. Kirby got sized up, but so did Dedede. Olimar got sized up, but so did his Pikmin and the bulborbs. If Ridley got sized down, then so would Samus.

kirby_fox

Banned

Definitely. I'm very curious about people's reactions if we actually didn't get any smash news.

To be frank, I don't think they are going to wait UNTIL the ballot finally ended. I'm pretty sure that Sakurai and the studio would have very clear idea with the ballot result like a month to few month after the ballot started. That's when 70-80% of the audience probably already voted for the characters.

I'm not saying that 2016 is impossible. I don't think the team that worked on the characters, would twiddling their fingers and waiting until the ballot is finally over.

It's totally Sakurai though to comb through each and every suggestion, each and every comment before making a decision. considering they said each entry would be taken into consideration, he easily could've meant literally taking each entry into consideration.

The bigger question is if they have been working on a character since they finished the last character DLC and if so who that character is.

He basically flaunted and bragged about he was right and Shovel Knight was on the way, to the point of harassing Yacht Club's Twitter, like "SEE, YOU ARENT EVEN BOTHERING TO CAMPAIGN ANYMORE, WHY IS THAT, HMMMM?"

Now that it is blowing up in his face, he is being pissy and using the loopholes most skeptics foresaw him using months back...he never "promised" and he's "just a messenger" an all that

Lol dang candy

Well, that's flawed theory because we already got his custom for Mii Fighters :p
A costume doesn't need a movelist though, or apparently have to be faithful to the character in it's assignment (see viridi as a swordfighter for example :/ ) so it doesn't require him to get far enough to fight the final boss ;D

I really, really want Ridley playable, but I completely understand why he isn't playable.

I just hope maybe Dark Samus at least has some relevancy and has a chance at Smash 5 or even as DLC. Dark Samus is really the only other Metroid character that can work at this point, unless the marines spin off takes off, but I kind of doubt it will.

Sakurai can still change his mind about Ridley. Make Little Birdie an Assist Trophy that eats items and grows into Clone Ridley. Turn Meta Ridley as a boss hazard. And have Real Ridley be a playable character.

He shows up in the intro for DK64!

The only reference in the entire series is the DK Rap and Lanky Kong, neither of which require you to press any buttons or play the game at all.

So Sakurai could have not even ever played DK64 and just saw a demo or something. The stage named after DK64's first level (Jungle Japes) doesn't even look anything like DK64's level, it seems he just took the name.

Edit: oh man, I totally forget about Diddy Kong's entire moveset lol. Guess he did play a bit of DK64.

i hope mother 3 is never localized and itoi and nintendo have a falling out, causing mother to never appear in smash again.
/s
Hard to tell you're being sarcastic when Nintendo probably isn't going to bother translating Mother 3 anytime soon regardless.

Mother/Earthbound Beginnings was incredibly lucky that official English translation already existed.

The only reference in the entire series is the DK Rap and Lanky Kong, neither of which require you to press any buttons or play the game at all.

So Sakurai could have not even ever played DK64 and just saw a demo or something. The stage named after DK64's first level (Jungle Japes) doesn't even look anything like DK64's level, it seems he just took the name.

Edit: oh man, I totally forget about Diddy Kong's entire moveset lol. Guess he did play a bit of DK64.
I was about to say. Though some if it's sorta backwards, I think a couple of DK's moves in DK64 were taken from Smash and vice-versa; I'm pretty sure his forward air in Smash his air-attack in DK64, whereas his kinda back-hand slap from DK64 (I think) is where his forward-tilt came from in Melee. Guess Sakurai figured a heavyweight like DK having a far-reaching projectile with the Coconut gun would've been OP in Melee.

Wario is the only major character with games I feel like Sakurai hasn't played, but then you have obscure stuff like his sleeping stance being identical to Wario Land 2's intro so eh. Fine with him being 'weird', but part of the appeal of say Mega Man, Sonic or Diddy (I'm still impressed how close Diddy is to his DKC incarnation given it's entirely made by a now Microsoft-owned 1st party) is you can pick up and play them and they'll play very similarly to how they do in their own games control-wise despite it being Smash. Wario's the right mix of large yet speedy, but without that default B leading into a shoulder barge he's always going to feel slightly 'off' to me... Even though he's still a main of mine in Brawl/PM/'For'.

I mean that post under my last one seems like a transparent attempt at bait, no one seriously thinks Sakurai doesn't know DK stuff exists, he just don't care! At least K. Rool's theme and Sticker Bush Symphony are in the game as tracks.

Also I hope Retro makes a new 3D Donkey Kong game so they can take the good stuff from 64 and overwrite the bad with their own special flair

Sponge

Banned
Also I hope Retro makes a new 3D Donkey Kong game so they can take the good stuff from 64 and overwrite the bad with their own special flair

A new 3D Donkey Kong game is long overdue. Hell, Playtonic shown us in a Yooka-Laylee gameplay video that DK and Diddy's roll move from Returns can work in 3D.

If NX winds up being around PS4-levels of processing power, I'd love a 3D DKC that focused on traversing dense jungle landscapes in different ways rather than DK64 plain landscapes with occasional trees.

Think Uncharted, but more like Mirror's Edge in how climbing/swinging/etc. works with cartoony monkeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom