• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well with this radio silence on Nintendo's part, I'm going fuckin stir crazy

Come on, even if it's just an announcement of an announcement, I neeeeed it

Well thats that.

I now have $29.99 for Smash DLC on eShop. I am prepared. unleash the characters NOW!

Just reached 400 hours in Smash 3DS. With more DLC I may be able to make it to 500 hours by end of year. Let's go Sakurai. Enough waiting.

Yukinari

Would be nice if western players could hear Mewtwo's japanese dialogue. Dont get why japan exclusively uses his voicelines in Melee and Smash 4.

Oh hey, Mewtwo. In a pokemon game.
kana-and-chiaki-very-bored.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if all the previous leaks kind of getting blown up has scared off any other leakers/fakers. Nintendo being stone-faced quiet is one thing but nobody making anything up to fill the silence too is kind of strange to me. Heck, I don't think there's even been any smashified done recently either :p THE DROUGHT IS REAL!

hupla

Man I was following the splatoon hacker on twitter before all this leak stuff but they've become super insuperable after being wrong about octolings/inklings = she keeps replying to any of NOA tweets reaction images and a sense of entitlement as if she's owed a direct and ita just kind of gross. I was fine with her being wrong but this is just kind of sad,at least Roger owned up to just being wrong.

Masked Man

I said wow
Man I was following the splatoon hacker on twitter before all this leak stuff but they've become super insuperable after being wrong about octolings/inklings = she keeps replying to any of NOA tweets reaction images and a sense of entitlement as if she's owed a direct and ita just kind of gross. I was fine with her being wrong but this is just kind of sad,at least Roger owned up to just being wrong.

She's also apparently 19, so I suppose she's just acting her age. At first I was like, "Go you, Genderqueer Octogirl!" Then I read her tweets and saw the way she responds to her followers, and it smacks of immaturity. :/

hupla

She's also apparently 19, so I suppose she's just acting her age. At first I was like, "Go you, Genderqueer Octogirl!" Then I read her tweets and saw the way she responds to her followers, and it smacks of immaturity. :/
Aww yeah that does make more sense if she's so young, hopefully she grows out of it cause I think it's awesome she's found a hobby in dataminning and stuff.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's just a way of delivering news. Jesus Christ. It's not like Nintendo has suddenly stopped announcing anything since E3, they've just been using alternative means.

Watch all those being so impatient end up disappointed when we finally get one.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mega Evolutions are 95 percent of the time all about making the Pokémon spikier or edgier so I don't know why Shadow Mewtwo is suddenly this shocking thing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If we imagine this scale

Beautiful <-----------------------------------------------> Ugly

Mewtwo was at this end

Beautiful <-----------------------------------------------|> Ugly

Somehow, with Shadow Mewtwo they managed to do this

Beautiful <-----------------------------------------------> Ugly                            |

They broke the scale! That's pretty shocking.

flat,800x800,070,f.u2.jpg

Smash Bros. did it first??

If Mewtwo is playable in Pokken, I imagine they'll give him his regular look.

The design is growing on me. Reminds me of the Shadow Pokemon from the Gamecube games.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
^That's referencing Shadow Lugia btw.

I mean adding spikes all over Mewtwo's body. So Xtreme!

It's Tekken reference.

In any case my point is Mewtwo doesn't feel so powerful in Smash. At least despite his crippling nature Old Manondorf still has that oomph. I just don't feel it with Mewtwo.

We should definitely get "Ganondorf In His Prime". A medieval Falcon.

It's just a way of delivering news. Jesus Christ. It's not like Nintendo has suddenly stopped announcing anything since E3, they've just been using alternative means.

Can I truly be dissapointed if all I expect is dissapointment? :p

Crayolan

The best part of every Nintendo Direct thread is reading all the disappointment at the end from people with completely unrealistic expectations.

Would be nice if western players could hear Mewtwo's japanese dialogue. Dont get why japan exclusively uses his voicelines in Melee and Smash 4.

Mewtwo's Japanese dialogue really sounds fantastic; I love the distortion effect layered over it in Melee. Given that and Fox's awful voice in this game, it would be pretty cool if Smash let you select between English and Japanese VAs on a character-to-character basis, like Marvel vs. Capcom 3 did.

georly

They haven't announced brand new, unrevealed games through these alternative means, have they? It's only been updates/DLC/new-trailers to previously announced stuff, right?

I think it'd be incredibly... lackluster to reveal some new game through a random twitter message and a youtube video with maybe a press release shortly after.

It needs to be an event somehow. I guess if they announce on twitter/facebook that a new game is being revealed 'tomorrow at 3pm pacific' or something like that, which gives people time to speculate, press time to write articles, etc, that could work.

So I've been lurking this thread for a while. My account finally got approved so I can finally post in here. What's up, SmashGAF?

Things have been really quiet regarding Smash 4 lately, but I still play it a lot. Hoping new characters and updates come soon to freshen things up though.

I could very easily see the next Star Fox Zero trailer focusing on Star Wolf and transitioning into Smash DLC, in the next Direct.

We're due for a new Zero trailer, it's been a long time since we heard about that game.

I think the next DLC will be Wolf and a pre-ballot new comer. The final two pre-ballot characters and the last two will come early next year (February or March) and be the last two characters we get (but stage and costume DLC I think will continue for awhile, along with balance)

Smash 4 is still selling well and Smash 4 DLC sells incredibly well, so I don't really see them stopping until at least the NX is out. And who knows, maybe an NX remaster is planned for launch and we start this madness all over again.

Boss Doggie

So I've been lurking this thread for a while. My account finally got approved so I can finally post in here. What's up, SmashGAF?

Things have been really quiet regarding Smash 4 lately, but I still play it a lot. Hoping new characters and updates come soon to freshen things up though.
Welcome to the nut house!

Hi there! :3

It might be quiet at the moment, but in many ways that makes it a good time for you to start posting because at least when it's like this your first post doesn't get missed by peeps too busy riding the hype train to notice :D

Who're you hoping to see as DLC?

The DLC is going to be Nintendo's big Black Friday release. I just know it.

The timing would add up, and it's not like Nintendo has some big major AAA game lined up for the period.

Gurrry

Man I havent been playing much smash lately but a close friend of mine just got a Wii U.. so I decided I should start preparing for our inevitable battle.

Anyway, I had my free Mewtwo code in my email and went to put it in today.. and its expired. :(

It really sucks that there is an expiration date on a code.. Especially since I bought 2 friggin copies of the game to get it. I know its just 4 dollars, but I just think expiration dates on codes are lame.

/rant

Hi there! :3

It might be quiet at the moment, but in many ways that makes it a good time for you to start posting because at least when it's like this your first post doesn't get missed by peeps too busy riding the hype train to notice :D

Who're you hoping to see as DLC?

Shovel Knight

I'm really eager to see what they could do with the Inklings as welll

There are also some out there choices like Skull Kid and Sora that don't really have a chance but I voted for them anyway,

Man I havent been playing much smash lately but a close friend of mine just got a Wii U.. so I decided I should start preparing for our inevitable battle.

Anyway, I had my free Mewtwo code in my email and went to put it in today.. and its expired. :(

It really sucks that there is an expiration date on a code.. Especially since I bought 2 friggin copies of the game to get it. I know its just 4 dollars, but I just think expiration dates on codes are lame.

/rant

They've been outright saying that the codes would expire ever since the start.

Shovel Knight

I'm really eager to see what they could do with the Inklings as welll

There are also some out there choices like Skull Kid and Sora that don't really have a chance but I voted for them anyway,
Well, at least you'd have an amiibo already for the first two ;D
As for the last two, never say never. Even though she's an assist trophy I still cross my fingers for Ashley :p

/rant

Wait, why did you wait so long?

Well, at least you'd have an amiibo already for the first two ;D
As for the last two, never say never. Even though she's an assist trophy I still cross my fingers for Ashley :p

I'm normally not an Amiibo kind of guy but Shovel Knight is tempting me. Can't get enough of that game.

I just want new Zelda characters in general really. It's been like, what 3 games?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Do anyone remember this quote from Sakurai on Shulk?

“From Xenoblade Chronicles, Shulk joins the battle!! He’s not the type of character that would usually appear in the Smash Bros. series, but we worked really hard to make it happen,” Sakurai wrote.

Not the type of character that would usually appear in the Smash Bros. I remembered that I presumed that it could meant for niche RPG characters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A one game [at the time] series that was also very recent, especially when you consider when planning for Smash would have begun.

I thought it had something to do with how recent he was and how niche his game was on top of it. Can't think of any characters in that situation.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A one game [at the time] series that was also very recent, especially when you consider when planning for Smash would have begun.

I thought it had something to do with how recent he was and how niche his game was on top of it. Can't think of any characters in that situation.

Xenoblade came out in 2010, and Smash Bros Document probably finalized in 2012 so I don't really see it as "very recent." However it just came out in 2012 for US so I guess that we could label it as recent game.

IF anything, remember Sakurai said that he was brainstorming during 2012 so I don't really see how he could work on Smash Bros document during 2010 or 2011 because he's probably busy with Kid Icarus Uprising.

I believe that Greninja and Shulk were last two characters being added to the Smash Roster (non-clone characters) Perhaps, Shulk and Greninja were chosen to added to the roster after Sakurai turned in the design document in. Since two characters before Shulk and Greninja were secret characters; Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt.

jph139

I dunno, I definitely thought people were crazy when they expected Shulk back in the day. Like, he was Wonder Red tier in my eyes. Protagonist from a niche RPG that just barely released outside of Japan? From a company that's only recently gotten into bed with Nintendo? With no real distinguishing characteristics to set him apart from the countless others in the genre?

But I'll be damned, there he is, rubbing elbows with Mario and Pikachu. Funny how things work out.

Boss Doggie

I never really see shulk as a stance change character. In my definition a stance change should require a change of attacks too.

I dunno, I definitely thought people were crazy when they expected Shulk back in the day. Like, he was Wonder Red tier in my eyes. Protagonist from a niche RPG that just barely released outside of Japan? From a company that's only recently gotten into bed with Nintendo? With no real distinguishing characteristics to set him apart from the countless others in the genre?

But I'll be damned, there he is, rubbing elbows with Mario and Pikachu. Funny how things work out.
To me (since I think Shulk was even in my predicted roster list, though that also had dumb guesses like Bayonetta and us getting SS-versions of the Zelda cast), the main difference between Xenoblade and Wonderful 101 was the former was made by a 1st party studio whom had helped out with several major Nintendo games already at that point, while Platinum Studios along with being a 3rd party (I know Nintendo owns the 101 IP) had nothing to do with Nintendo before a year or so when Smash 4 would've started pre-production. The series' surprise success in the west (compared to Japan anyway) despite how much it had to go up against probably just solidified Sakurai's decision making-process in including Shulk back in 2012.

PK Gaming

I think it was simpler than that

Sakurai probably played Xenoblade, went "oh man this game is so fun and cool, wouldn't it be fun and cool if Shulk was in smash?"

And voila, Monado Boy made the cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom