• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm normally not an Amiibo kind of guy but Shovel Knight is tempting me. Can't get enough of that game.

I just want new Zelda characters in general really. It's been like, what 3 games?
I'd be up for that, though Midna would be my preference and she's AT'ed. Tetra would be cool though. The popular vote around here seems to go to Impa because they made her a total badass in the Hyrule Warrior game (plus she's kinda cool in skyward)
I still wish we could at least get skins so I could play as skyward zelda and hyrule warriors sheik.

I think it was simpler than that

Sakurai probably played Xenoblade, went "oh man this game is so fun and cool, wouldn't it be fun and cool if Shulk was in smash?"

And voila, Monado Boy made the cut
I thought it was more a simple case of looking at xenoblade x being on the schedule and having the protag from the previous game being in as a promotional thing made sense. Kind of like how we got roy and marth to promote fire emblem before it hit foreign shores :3

What I think Sakurai meant with that comment is that at first glance, Xenoblade seemingly isn't the type of series that usually gets into Smash.

I already mentioned this before, but Smash has never been very kind to second-party (ie published by Nintendo but not developed by them) properties when it comes to playable characters. There are some, like Kirby or Pokemon, but they're both some of the most popular franchises Nintendo has. Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Wonderful 101, Legendary Starfy, etc on the other hand? Not so much.

At first glance, Xenoblade seems like one of those series. But what I think gives it the edge over Golden Sun is the fact that Xenoblade was, for all intents and purposes, developed in-house. Monolith Soft has been a full first party division ever since Namco Bandai sold their stocks to Nintendo a little while back. They're on the same level as Retro Studios or EAD (now EPD).

So really, what I think he was trying to say is that Shulk looks like one of those unimportant second-party developed characters like Isaac but is actually not. His inclusion is more akin to Fox or Olimar than it is to someone like Wonder Red or Saki.

Monolith was basically entirely absorbed into "big" Nintendo, so Shulk is basically on a similar level as someone like Fox or Olimar.

With that in mind, there should have been more of an expectation he'd be on the roster. "Big" titles from core Nintendo pretty much always end up in Smash, at least of IPs created since Smash 64.

I think why people didn't expect Shulk to be in Smash is for a variety of reasons. The fact Monolith only recently was acquired by Nintendo is one of them, and also the fact that there's only been one game from the Xenoblade franchise so far. It seems like Smash generally avoids one-shot games to represent and prefers going for franchises instead, since those are obviously characters from series that have staying power.

I imagine that Shulk's inclusion was partly as a cross-promotion for the 3DS version of Xenoblade, though.

How long was Xenoblade 3DS in development, though? Smash 4's roster was finalized back in early 2012.

If the roster was finalized in early 2012, that was before Xenoblade was even released to the US.

Also I really doubt they had Xenoblade 3D in mind in 2011/2012.

They probably knew Xenoblade would be a series they'd want to continue, and given Monolith being 1st party Nintendo at that point, Shulk's chances were already much higher than other characters just by being 1st party.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think people are forgetting how long Monolith Soft has been with Nintendo. They helped with the development of Brawl.

NeonZ

I already mentioned this before, but Smash has never been very kind to second-party (ie published by Nintendo but not developed by them) properties when it comes to playable characters. There are some, like Kirby or Pokemon, but they're both some of the most popular franchises Nintendo has. Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Wonderful 101, Legendary Starfy, etc on the other hand? Not so much.

Fire Emblem would also fit there though. IS isn't owned by Nintendo.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Second party is not a term that exists btw. And in the case of Monolith, they are 100 percent owned by Nintendo, so they are as 1st party as EAD.

Second party is not a term that exists btw. And in the case of Monolith, they are 100 percent owned by Nintendo, so they are as 1st party as EAD.
I think "second party" generally refers to companies like HAL, Game Freak and Intelligent Systems, where Nintendo doesn't fully own them, but they produce games using Nintendo owned characters.

Fire Emblem would also fit there though. IS isn't owned by Nintendo.

I'm aware of that. However, I think Fire Emblem was overall more fairly significant even before its inclusion in Smash. It was a popular and long running series in Japan and it even had an OVA based on it.

I'm aware of that as well. I just use the term to distinguish series that are and aren't made by Nintendo's internal studios, even if both types of franchises are published by Nintendo.

Drago

Technically, Nintendo only owns 97% of Monolith Soft. Pretty much a wholly owned entity at that point but I always feel entitled to point it out when someone says they're owned 100%. This is likely the reason why they get character credits for Shulk in Smash instead of being filed under general Nintendo.

Spread the knowledge. :B

Tyeforce

Since the Mii Fighter amiibo have released, I thought I'd share my 100% accurate recreations of the official default Mii Fighters again for anyone who wants to use them for the amiibo:

E31Z5SY.png

I'm also working on something else that I want to share here, too, so I'll be posting about that soon. =P

Second party is a term that exists (as in, is used in well-defined context sometimes), actually, although Monolith Soft is perhaps not the best firm to apply it to. A second party makes software exclusively for one platform within hardware sector but there's no firm ownership involved. Of course with platforms changing fast and multiplatform development getting easier and easier, there aren't too many of these nowadays, but the term means something.

Muzy72

Banned
Since the Mii Fighter amiibo have released, I thought I'd share my 100% accurate recreations of the official default Mii Fighters again for anyone who wants to use them for the amiibo:

E31Z5SY.png

I'm also working on something else that I want to share here, too, so I'll be posting about that soon. =P
Bless you, Tyeforce, you're the only one who understands my ridiculous needs for everything to be default.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Second party is a term that exists (as in, is used in well-defined context sometimes), actually, although Monolith Soft is perhaps not the best firm to apply it to. A second party makes software exclusively for one platform within hardware sector but there's no firm ownership involved. Of course with platforms changing fast and multiplatform development getting easier and easier, there aren't too many of these nowadays, but the term means something.

I think what they mean is that the term itself is slang-level. There is no "second-party" officially. It's always first-party (within the company) or third-party (outside source).

Usually plenty of stuff in second party can be given to either first or third-party level.

I'm imagining something akin to "Thanks to all who voted in the Smash Ballot, we are hard at work on the next content" in the next direct, the Smash fanbase left with the worst case of blueballs ever.

Golnei

At the very least, we'll get a 30-second Direct on December 31, featuring Kimishima staring unblinking at the camera in his office, while an undulating cephalopod dries out on the desk.

RomanceDawn

Couple questions:

1 - So is anyone expecting to get all 3 of the mystery characters at once like last time?

2 - Does anyone think there will be more than 3 new characters coming afterward?

After all this time I'm guessing we will get a new bundle of characters all at once and they won't be all we get. It was 3 mystery Mario slots that was found with the latest update right? Or just 2?

Clov

Given how well Smash DLC has been doing, I think it would be pretty silly to assume it would end after one more wave. I'm thinking a few more at least.

Golnei

The possibility of a hypothetical NX remaster also complicates things; whether it'd have completely separate additional content or have any additions released as DLC for the current game.

kirby_fox

Banned
Couple questions:

1 - So is anyone expecting to get all 3 of the mystery characters at once like last time?

2 - Does anyone think there will be more than 3 new characters coming afterward?

After all this time I'm guessing we will get a new bundle of characters all at once and they won't be all we get. It was 3 mystery Mario slots that was found with the latest update right? Or just 2?

Expecting a big update before Xmas probably for 3 characters and more. Likely followed up by a final bit early next year (probably just Wolf and a stage). Wolf will get a surprise amiibo come out too, so the amiibo would be done for Smash before NX was even touched.

Not expecting anything for Smash for a long time after that.

Couple questions:

Given the wait and how I'm still leaning towards Wolf being held back as a tie-in to the now delayed Star Fox Zero, I could see us getting at least two characters at once. More is always welcome of course.

I think we definitely have a minimum of three characters coming, but the amount if any we get afterwards I reckon comes down to a combination of what sort of characters were on the ballot and what sort of characters are the next three.

If it's Wolf, Inkling and Shovel Knight (just to acknowledge the now uncertain character rumors), that's one veteran, one character probably chosen independent of the ballot given the break out success the character-driven IP Splatoon was and a character who'd more likely have been chosen due to the ballot. With that I'd imagine there'd be at least another character off the ballot chosen, with maybe another veteran ported back into Smash 4 (I'd imagine Squirtle or Ivysaur, but they could probably get away with just Pichu or Young Link at this point).

If the next three are all new comers with ties to the ballot then I'd say the only hope for extra characters would be veterans, and even then probably only clone-ish ones like Pichu and Young Link. The sales success of Smash DLC on the Wii U makes me think they won't stop at three if the circumstances allow it.

I'm expecting one final wave of DLC in late November or December, and that'll be the end of it.

Nah, I expect DLC to go for awhile longer. Too profitable to not keep it going.

They left the end of DLC indefinite for a reason. Every other Nintendo DLC has had a set end point for the most part. Smash they left open ended, and basically said "we'll work on it as long as we feel like it" which "feel like it" probably means "until it stops making buckets of easy money"

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Given how well Smash DLC has been doing, I think it would be pretty silly to assume it would end after one more wave. I'm thinking a few more at least.

Well, Sakurai said that he can't keep the team forever so I don't know how long it would be for Sakurai and team to last.

Clov

Well, Sakurai said that he can't keep the team forever so I don't know how long it would be for Sakurai and team to last.

While true, that was a while back. Now we've found out how well the DLC is doing; while the team will have to disband eventually, it likely will continue for a bit longer given how much money it's bringing in.

I expect just one more wave of characters....any more would be the cherry on top though!

What happened to golnei? Hes not the type get banned.

Platy

Couple questions:

These answers are related.

1 - 3 only if one of those is a returner like Wolf or lone Climber
2 - More than 3 if one of those 3 is a returner

it is more probable they go 2 on 2 releases, like "Wolf and Inkling" and "Shovel Knight and Hanafuda"

I think we're going to get two characters this holiday. Definitely Wolf (it'd be stupid to hold off on Smasher money just because Star Fox got delayed. Spending power goes up during holidays!), and probably a newcomer.

What happened to golnei? Hes not the type get banned.

Probably something in the Indievisible thread.

What did he post there?

It was something involving the term "sjw" and a recent controversy regarding changes to Skullgirls' animation sprites. I wasn't following the thread too closely but I popped in and that's what I saw.

I guess you just have to be careful of what you post.

(My account was only recently approved. I've lurked here for a while and I generally have the idea of what to and what not to do and trust myself to follow the guidelines, but I still kinda feel like walking on eggshells till I'm no longer a junior, aha...)

Tyeforce

Okay SmashGAF, I'm doing a thing! It's probably pointless and I'm not sure if anyone will care or not, but let me explain, lol. So, my Super Smash Bros. series amiibo are all unnamed (I do this because unfortunately you can't fit every character's actual names in the 10 character limit, so to keep things consistent I just leave all the names blank), and because of this no name is displayed for them on the victory screen when they win. I always thought this amiibo victory screen with no name looked pretty cool, and that an image of it could make a neat wallpaper or something. Anyway, after wanting to do so for a long time, I finally started collecting images of these victory screens. I wanted to further train all my amiibo, anyway, so I figured I might as well use this as an excuse to do that, lol.

Unfortunately, it seems that the Wii U Internet Browser can only export images in 720p (even though Smash Bros. runs at 1080p), so the images aren't as high resolution as I had hoped they'd be, making them less than ideal for wallpaper use... I suppose someone with a capture device could just record these victory screens in uncompressed 1080p and export the exact frames that I'm taking screenshots of here for higher quality images (that would also require owning all Super Smash Bros. series amiibo and leaving their names blank too, of course). I don't have a capture device and my computer probably couldn't record 1080p video if I had one, anyway, so I can't do it. But I don't expect anyone else to do it, either, so I'll continue to collect these 720p screenshots of each character's victory poses just in case anyone likes them and would like to use them for something! I'll try to post at least one character per day, and I'll update this post with new images.

MARIO

PEACH

YOSHI

DONKEY KONG

LINK

FOX

SAMUS

Let me know what you guys think of these! Maybe it's not worth going through all the trouble to collect these (and really, it kind of is a lot of trouble with the way I have to do it, lol), and I'm not sure if anyone will find a use for them or not, but regardless I think they're nice to look at, at the very least! Plus it gives me a goal to work towards as I train my amiibo, and I'm hoping people here will enjoy daily updates of these! Maybe it will help liven this thread up a bit in midst of no Smash Bros. news, too, lol. I'll update this post as I add new images, too.

hupla

Take this with a grain of salt but I was at a yokai watch launch event and the Nintendo rep just mentioned that we are getting a direct by the end if the month. I would not take this as confirmation but hey I thought I'd at least give a heads up.

Ahnez

Take this with a grain of salt but I was at a yokai watch launch event and the Nintendo rep just mentioned that we are getting a direct by the end if the month. I would not take this as confirmation but hey I thought I'd at least give a heads up.

Well, Kimishima said there was at least one more Direct this year

This year has only two months left, so there's 50% chance of that rep being right lol

It wouldn't surprise me if there is one this month, but at the same time this brings me flashbacks of the time when a random Nintendo of Canada rep said Rayman would be playable.

@Tyeforce Awesome job on those!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom