• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Okay SmashGAF, I'm doing a thing! It's probably pointless and I'm not sure if anyone will care or not, but let me explain, lol. So, my Super Smash Bros. series amiibo are all unnamed (I do this because unfortunately you can't fit every character's actual names in the 10 character limit, so to keep things consistent I just leave all the names blank), and because of this no name is displayed for them on the victory screen when they win. I always thought this amiibo victory screen with no name looked pretty cool, and that an image of it could make a neat wallpaper or something. Anyway, after wanting to do so for a long time, I finally started collecting images of these victory screens. I wanted to further train all my amiibo, anyway, so I figured I might as well use this as an excuse to do that, lol.

PLEASE do akuma yoshi

Pokemaniac

Take this with a grain of salt but I was at a yokai watch launch event and the Nintendo rep just mentioned that we are getting a direct by the end if the month. I would not take this as confirmation but hey I thought I'd at least give a heads up.

Well there's a 50-50 chance they're right. Normally I'd lean more towards December since it's a lot more common for Directs to happen that month, but I could definitely see a November one happening since it's been so long since the last one.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Take this with a grain of salt but I was at a yokai watch launch event and the Nintendo rep just mentioned that we are getting a direct by the end if the month. I would not take this as confirmation but hey I thought I'd at least give a heads up.

That would be no brainer actually but thank you.

MARIO

PEACH

Let me know what you guys think of these! Maybe it's not worth going through all the trouble to collect these (and really, it kind of is a lot of trouble with the way I have to do it, lol), and I'm not sure if anyone will find a use for them or not, but regardless I think they're nice to look at, at the very least! Plus it gives me a goal to work towards as I train my amiibo, and I'm hoping people here will enjoy daily updates of these! Maybe it will help liven this thread up a bit in midst of no Smash Bros. news, too, lol. I'll update this post as I add new images, too.

I really appreciate those kind of things. They look great! :D

Okay SmashGAF, I'm doing a thing! It's probably pointless and I'm not sure if anyone will care or not, but let me explain, lol. So, my Super Smash Bros. series amiibo are all unnamed (I do this because unfortunately you can't fit every character's actual names in the 10 character limit, so to keep things consistent I just leave all the names blank), and because of this no name is displayed for them on the victory screen when they win. I always thought this amiibo victory screen with no name looked pretty cool, and that an image of it could make a neat wallpaper or something. Anyway, after wanting to do so for a long time, I finally started collecting images of these victory screens. I wanted to further train all my amiibo, anyway, so I figured I might as well use this as an excuse to do that, lol.

Unfortunately, it seems that the Wii U Internet Browser can only export images in 720p (even though Smash Bros. runs at 1080p), so the images aren't as high resolution as I had hoped they'd be, making them less than ideal for wallpaper use... I suppose someone with a capture device could just record these victory screens in uncompressed 1080p and export the exact frames that I'm taking screenshots of here for higher quality images (that would also require owning all Super Smash Bros. series amiibo and leaving their names blank too, of course). I don't have a capture device and my computer probably couldn't record 1080p video if I had one, anyway, so I can't do it. But I don't expect anyone else to do it, either, so I'll continue to collect these 720p screenshots of each character's victory poses just in case anyone likes them and would like to use them for something! I'll try to post at least one character per day, starting with...

MARIO

PEACH

Let me know what you guys think of these! Maybe it's not worth going through all the trouble to collect these (and really, it kind of is a lot of trouble with the way I have to do it, lol), and I'm not sure if anyone will find a use for them or not, but regardless I think they're nice to look at, at the very least! Plus it gives me a goal to work towards as I train my amiibo, and I'm hoping people here will enjoy daily updates of these! Maybe it will help liven this thread up a bit in midst of no Smash Bros. news, too, lol. I'll update this post as I add new images, too.

Those look great, let's see some more!

Dr. Buni

Unfortunately, it seems that the Wii U Internet Browser can only export images in 720p (even though Smash Bros. runs at 1080p), so the images aren't as high resolution as I had hoped they'd be, making them less than ideal for wallpaper use... I suppose someone with a capture device could just record these victory screens in uncompressed 1080p and export the exact frames that I'm taking screenshots of here for higher quality images (that would also require owning all Super Smash Bros. series amiibo and leaving their names blank too, of course). I don't have a capture device and my computer probably couldn't record 1080p video if I had one, anyway, so I can't do it. But I don't expect anyone else to do it, either, so I'll continue to collect these 720p screenshots of each character's victory poses just in case anyone likes them and would like to use them for something! I'll try to post at least one character per day, starting with...

MARIO

PEACH

Lovely. Looking forward for the next ones, if you ever do them.

Tyeforce

I know some that would appreciate those win pics =)

@Tyeforce Awesome job on those!

I really appreciate those kind of things. They look great! :D

Those look great, let's see some more!

Lovely. Looking forward for the next ones, if you ever do them.

Oh wow, I didn't expect this many people to be interested! Okay, I'll keep 'em coming, lol.

PLEASE do akuma yoshi
You'll be pleased with who's up next then. ;P

Pokemaniac

So apperantly theres going to be a Nintendo maintenance on November 9........hype?

Monday is Nintendo's maintenance day. Outside of the "certain titles" thing, which, while unusual, is only minorly different from routine Monday maintenance, and is most likely nothing special, there's nothing that is really worth getting hyped about. There might be a bugfix patch released for Super Mario Maker and/or the Gen VI Pokemon games, but I really wouldn't expect anything beyond that.

Pokemaniac

Oh boy. I can't wait for more home-brew blocking stability.

It's late, so I'm not gonna bother giving my whole rant on this subject, but your priorities are screwed up if you think Nintendo should leave security vulnerabilities unpatched just so homebrew can keep working.

It's late, so I'm not gonna bother giving my whole rant on this subject, but your priorities are screwed up if you think Nintendo should leave security vulnerabilities unpatched just so homebrew can keep working.

Nah. It's fine. Vulnerabilities need to be taken care of as quickly as possible to prevent bugs and such from popping up. I'm merely addressing the notion that Nintendo tends to dress this stuff up instead of out-right saying it in some patch notes.

RomanceDawn

Star Fox Zero is listed in my local Toys R Us catalogue, box art and all. Say's it's releasing November 20th! I think we all know that that means...

The book isn't up to date and Wolf got canceled when Sakurai found out Zero was being delayed...

Pokemaniac

Nah. It's fine. Vulnerabilities need to be taken care of as quickly as possible to prevent bugs and such from popping up. I'm merely addressing the notion that Nintendo tends to dress this stuff up instead of out-right saying it in some patch notes.

Calling it stability isn't really wrong, per se. There is basically always a net gain in stability from fixing these things.

Tyeforce

Okay, here's Yoshi!

YOSHI
03-0-Yoshi-1.jpg

03-0-Yoshi-2.jpg

03-0-Yoshi-3.jpg

Sora_N

I started trying out Jigglypuff now, it's sorta fun but I usually fear for my life since it's so easy to die. I know I'm not really supposed to sing/rest since I've died every time I failed for it, punished hard.

I fought on For Glory against this dude playing as DK, I never beat him once. Is this one of the really bad matchups or do I just suck?

He seemed to be able to hit me a lot and I couldn't reach him with my aerials, it always cut really close when I missed a Nair/Fair. He was pretty aggressive and attacked me when I was landing or even when he's in the air, so air dodging helped me a bit but I wasn't able to kill him.

Sora_N

The only reason you should ever use sing with Jigglypuff is if the opponent has flower status and his shield has broken so that you can extend the damage done by the flower. Sing otherwise a useless move.

Whoops I meant not supposed to sing lol, I got too tense against that guy's DK. I tried for about 10 matches.

I started trying out Jigglypuff now, it's sorta fun but I usually fear for my life since it's so easy to die. I know I'm not really supposed to sing/rest since I've died every time I failed for it, punished hard.

I fought on For Glory against this dude playing as DK, I never beat him once. Is this one of the really bad matchups or do I just suck?

He seemed to be able to hit me a lot and I couldn't reach him with my aerials, it always cut really close when I missed a Nair/Fair. He was pretty aggressive and attacked me when I was landing or even when he's in the air, so air dodging helped me a bit but I wasn't able to kill him.

Puff is kind of a sad case. She just isn't very suited for the way Smash 4's engine is designed. And the less said about her customs moves, the better.

So it has been 147 days since Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were released. For comparison, it was 145 days between the initial release of the Wii U version and Mewtwo's first availability. Just, you know, saying.

Is it this week? This has got to be the deadest it has ever been for the Smash 4 hype cycle. No news at all, ballot has long since ended with no fanfare at all, and what rumors we've had have petered out completely with nothing new to replace them.

I don't think it's this week. I don't think it's the next either, it's so bad it is hard to even believe we'll get anything this year. When was the last time we even heard something from Sakurai related to the game?

Pizza

So it has been 147 days since Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were released. For comparison, it was 145 days between the initial release of the Wii U version and Mewtwo's first availability. Just, you know, saying.

Is it this week? This has got to be the deadest it has ever been for the Smash 4 hype cycle. No news at all, ballot has long since ended with no fanfare at all, and what rumors we've had have petered out completely with nothing new to replace them.

I don't think it's this week. I don't think it's the next either, it's so bad it is hard to even believe we'll get anything this year. When was the last time we even heard something from Sakurai related to the game?

I kind of feel like stuff for pushed back alongside starfox, maybe wolf was going to be a standalone guy until the next wave.

I actually wouldn't be all that surprised if everything got folded into an NX remake or something to pad it out

I kind of feel like stuff for pushed back alongside starfox, maybe wolf was going to be a standalone guy until the next wave.

I actually wouldn't be all that surprised if everything got folded into an NX remake or something to pad it out
No, I highly doubt that--discarding the ballot for the Wii U and 3DS versions completely sounds like just a really bad idea, marketing wise, considering it was all a huge marketing stunt for them to begin with.

Pokemaniac

An NX remake of Smash 4 would be kinda pointless. Given how much Smash reuses past content already, it would only really serve to split the userbase. It would be a far better use of resources to just focus on Smash 5.

All things considered, we are almost definitely due for one more wave of Smash 4 DLC, but I suspect that will be the end of it.

An NX remake of Smash 4 would be kinda pointless. Given how much Smash reuses past content already, it would only really serve to split the userbase. It would be a far better use of resources to just focus on Smash 5.

All things considered, we are almost definitely due for one more wave of Smash 4 DLC, but I suspect that will be the end of it.
The user base is already split between two versions. I doubt Nintendo cares.

I think that, since Nintendo has nothing going on this fall, Smash DLC is going to be pushed alongside Amiibos for the holiday season. As such, they will probably announce the Smash DLC whenever they think it will produce prime shopping results.

TDLink

The NX will (hopefully for Nintendo) have a much higher userbase than Wii U. It isnt going to "split" it, people will just move on to the "Ultimate" version on NX. I am fairly certain this is going to happen rather than develop an all new "Smash 5". Smash for NX (with all the DLC for Wii U plus probably a couple more) is going to be Smash 5. It's been obvious this is what is going to happen, and still is.

kirby_fox

Banned

Falco's amiibo was pushed back to originally line up with the Star Fox release. Since that comes next week, I would guess they would have something before then.

Mewtwo also comes out Friday. If they were going to update Smash with customs for DLC this would be the week to do it. In theory, releasing Wolf now would actually be on point with promoting the title too and would make good for holiday season.

It would be good timing to release info on an eshop black Friday sale, and any last minute titles this year as well. Would be surprised to not see the direct this week, and maybe even a Smash update.

Pokemaniac

The NX will (hopefully for Nintendo) have a much higher userbase than Wii U. It isnt going to "split" it, people will just move on to the "Ultimate" version on NX. I am fairly certain this is going to happen rather than develop an all new "Smash 5". Smash for NX (with all the DLC for Wii U plus probably a couple more) is going to be Smash 5. It's been obvious this is what is going to happen, and still is.

I never said Smash 5 wouldn't be heavily based on Smash 4. Just that releasing two Smash games on the same system would be counter-productive and a waste of resources.

Some relevant length of times:

60 days between the initial release of Mewtwo and the Lucas/Roy/Ryu update, though 47 days separate the two going by Mewtwo's normal availability date.
47 days between the Lucas/Roy/Ryu update and the dual 64 stage release.
61 days between the release of the dual 64 stages and the Mario Maker update.
40 days (give or take based on time zones) between the Mario Maker update and today.

The original release of Star Fox Zero was on November 20th (next Friday), so the time between then and the Mario Maker update would be 51 days. Black Friday is the Friday after that, and the length of time between the Mario Maker update and Black Friday would be 58 days.

Based on all this, the time does seem right for an update within the next two and a half weeks. The initial release of Star Fox Zero looks timed pretty well for a co-promotion had Star Fox Zero not been delayed. And I would think they would definitely want to get something out before Black Friday as that would be a pretty big promotion (in lieu of like, anything else).

Just some numbers for thought.

TDLink

I never said Smash 5 wouldn't be heavily based on Smash 4. Just that releasing two Smash games on the same system would be counter-productive and a waste of resources.

Ok, sure. I don't think we'll get a "Smash 5" any time soon. Smash 4 just came out, it makes sense to port it to NX and have that be the Smash for the console's lifetime. Sakurai is still working on it as we speak and he is not going to be eager to jump straight into another one. I also don't see Nintendo investing in another one right away without him, especially when they can just use their current released game which is still getting content.

Pokemaniac

Ok, sure. I don't think we'll get a "Smash 5" any time soon. Smash 4 just came out, it makes sense to port it to NX and have that be the Smash for the console's lifetime. Sakurai is still working on it as we speak and he is not going to be eager to jump straight into another one. I also don't see Nintendo investing in another one right away without him, especially when they can just use their current released game which is still getting content.

That is definitely a route they they could go, though Sakurai would probably still be involved in it in some capacity.

No, I highly doubt that--discarding the ballot for the Wii U and 3DS versions completely sounds like just a really bad idea, marketing wise, considering it was all a huge marketing stunt for them to begin with.

Yep, they're not going to just randomly drop support for Smash 4 for a NX remaster which wouldn't come for another year or more.

It would look really bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ROI of Smash DLC was crazy high, to the point of wanting to keep as many people on as possible.

I think even when character DLC is over, we'll continue to get Brawl stage ports and new costumes. And of course balance. Balance patches are working really well for Smash 4.

woopWOOP

T'is the silence before the storm!

...Unless the supposed Direct coming this/next month gets pushed back to '16 somehow for some reason.

georly

I do think that the NX will get a "GOTY" edition of Smash Wii U.

I think it needs to, no way will they be able to plop out a brand new smash for NX unless it's at the end of its lifespan.

It might also mean the return of ice climbers (and any other cut characters for that matter). I don't see them releasing it without exclusive content, that's for sure. New stages/characters maybe even modes.

I hope late life Smash 4 DLC has some clones thrown in for fun.

If they have some spare time, but not 6+ months to dedicate to characters, it'd be nice to get Pichu back and maybe one or two new clones like Dry Bowser, Louie or even maybe a hybrid Toon Link/Link Young Link revival. We have three Marths and three Marios, so at this point, why not?

I really like clones a lot, generally I prefer the clone over the original.

The only potential issue might be CSS space on the Wii U, but I think there's enough for 6 or so characters, so there's going to be room to toss in a few clones if they wanted.

I hope we get some news soon. I still play the game on a regular basis regardless and will probably continue to do so, but I want some new characters and stages to play with. And I mean NEW stages. Not old ones with a new coat of paint.

EulaCapra

Mondays are for hoping. Something. Anything.

They gotta promote that Smash Splat Wii U Black Friday bundle sometime... Oh god, they won't do a Direct until the week of Thanksgiving with that price drop logic.

I hope we get some news soon. I still play the game on a regular basis regardless and will probably continue to do so, but I want some new characters and stages to play with. And I mean NEW stages. Not old ones with a new coat of paint.

I've been playing Mario Maker way more than Smash the last few weeks, and I 100% blame the lack of new DLC, versus Mario Maker, which just got new stuff added that made substantial changes to how levels can be designed (via checkpoints).

Although it'll probably just take me watching an interesting Smash 4 tournament or some other Smash thing to get me to play it again. Last time something as simple as Bowser Jr's Tennis trailer made me want to play Smash lol

Edit: Actually, I don't necessarily play MM every day, I've been recently getting back into Pokemon and doing a run of Black 2, which I have never played before and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite Pokemon games, despite me previously hating the 5th gen so much I never opened Black 2 that I had since launch.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't really care what they are going to do with Smash NX. Port or not. At long, we are going to get more characters. I have a feeling that we might get Rhythm Heaven and Takamaru for next Smash.

I'm very curious how would Rhythm Heaven character would work in the game. Would their moveset going to be based on button rhythm to power up their B-moves?

Same here. I have a feeling that new stages are going to happens with the newcomers but I don't mind to get more returning stages because there are few stages that I would like to see to be in Smash 4.

...Unless the supposed Direct coming this/next month gets pushed back to '16 somehow for some reason.

I doubt it.

Edit: Actually, I don't necessarily play MM every day, I've been recently getting back into Pokemon and doing a run of Black 2, which I have never played before and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite Pokemon games, despite me previously hating the 5th gen so much I never opened Black 2 that I had since launch.

I always said that Black 2 was the perfect game for those who didn't care for the original based upon the Unova Dex, proof is continuing to mount up.
I still much prefer Black 1 but I like that Gen 5 covered both bases well, you've got the game for those of us who didn't want to see any of the old guard again and the game for those who really can't go without them.

SO how about that Smash Bros guys? I remember when I believed characters might be coming soon, that was 2 months ago now...

Zubz

Banned

At this point, I'm thinking that Late 2015 Direct was just a PR mistake, and that Nintendo's going silent for the rest of the year. Even if we got some good games/DLC for good games out of it, 2015 definitely seemed like it was always meant to be a throwaway year for them. With the loss of Iwata, they just fell further behind.

I think our hype's dead for a reason, sadly. We're clearly going to get more DLC, but I don't think it's as imminent as we thought it'd be since... August.

kirby_fox

Banned
At this point, I'm thinking that Late 2015 Direct was just a PR mistake, and that Nintendo's going silent for the rest of the year. Even if we got some good games/DLC for good games out of it, 2015 definitely seemed like it was always meant to be a throwaway year for them. With the loss of Iwata, they just fell further behind.

I think our hype's dead for a reason, sadly. We're clearly going to get more DLC, but I don't think it's as imminent as we thought it'd be since... August.

I don't think it was, not with Twilight Princess HD being a thing people saw. I think even the new Prez said something about games to announce this year. If you're announcing a game for 2015 in November, it's going to have to be this week. Thursday or Friday would be primetime for a Direct as it's 2 weeks before Black Friday-- enough time for people to be asked what they want for Xmas.

I've been playing Mario Maker way more than Smash the last few weeks, and I 100% blame the lack of new DLC, versus Mario Maker, which just got new stuff added that made substantial changes to how levels can be designed (via checkpoints).

Although it'll probably just take me watching an interesting Smash 4 tournament or some other Smash thing to get me to play it again. Last time something as simple as Bowser Jr's Tennis trailer made me want to play Smash lol

I haven't really been able to get into Mario Maker and I kind of blame that on how bad a lot of the community's levels are and the lack of checkpoints making lengthy levels a chore. I'm glad checkpoints are added, but I'm waiting a bit so the community can really start using them before I jump back into it

Smash has been my go to Wii U game with some Hyrule Warriors on the side

Richie

I don't think it was, not with Twilight Princess HD being a thing people saw. I think even the new Prez said something about games to announce this year. If you're announcing a game for 2015 in November, it's going to have to be this week. Thursday or Friday would be primetime for a Direct as it's 2 weeks before Black Friday-- enough time for people to be asked what they want for Xmas.

Not to mention the Wii U Animal Crossing spinoff releasing this Friday. After the success of the 3DS spinoff you'd think Nintendo was gonna promote this like crazy, and yet it's been very silent on their end. This week, I'm betting this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom