• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Wolf to be announced so I can be relieved and relax a bit. At this point he's my single most wanted DLC character, and anything else would just be a bonus.

I wrote this in the Direct thread, how I think it'll go down.
I could reasonably see:

In the direct will be a trailer showcasing Star Wolf's role in Star Fox Zero. After the trailer, the Smash cross animation plays and a trailer for Wolf begins. At the end, it's announced Wolf and Sector Z are being released today, but only for eShop pre-orders for Zero, and will be for sale in two weeks for everyone else. Also for sale after the Direct is another Mii Costume wave, and Melee's Pokemon Stadium for the Wii U.

Not going to lie, that one still makes me smile :3

SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME
tumblr_npefy7pGEU1s84r7bo1_1280.jpg

A fun thought though... While sakurai said that any characters from here on are 'fanservice' he didn't actually say they'd be from the ballot :p

Richie

It'd be a touch odd for a Smash announcement to pay respect to the heroes of WWI & II.

Call of Duty rep confirmed.

Direct hype won't stop my character updates!!

LINK

[Click here for all currently posted nameless amiibo victory screens]

Some of you might be onto something... ;P
But how long will your order stay matched up with mine, I wonder? I have a feeling the order I'm using will throw people off once we get further down the line...

Dude, amazing! Thanks a lot for this, it's a very ingenious idea and mighty cool to boot. Without the names and that background the poses really have a classy tone.

Shame about Link's face but whatyergonnado.

Roo

As I've mentioned in this thread quite a few times, I'd absolutely love Dry Bowser as an afterthought DLC clone late in Smash 4's life.

Nintendo seems to love promoting him recently, probably because he's so easy to clone from Bowser in all games.
I still remember that event in Japan prior to Smash 3DS' launch (I even made a thread compiling all that info) where reports from players at the event said Dry Bowser was confirmed as a skin for Bowser.

I was so happy about that back then.
I even considered making Bowser one of my mains because of the Dry Bowser skin alone but then, the same night we knew they were actually talking about the white and gray skin we all know.

I agree with you tho. The effort to put him in all these Mario spinoffs seem to be rather small due to sharing most of their bones (no pun intended) and animations.

Dr. Buni

I still remember that event in Japan prior to Smash 3DS' launch (I even made a thread compiling all that info) where reports from players at the event said Dry Bowser was confirmed as a skin for Bowser.

I was so happy about that back then.
I even considered making Bowser one of my mains because of the Dry Bowser skin alone but then, the same night we knew they were actually talking about the white and gray skin we all know.

I agree with you tho. The effort to put him in all these Mario spinoffs seem to be rather small due to sharing most of their bones (no pun intended) and animations.
Oh, I remember there was a Metal Sonic alt for Sonic, too. Shame that was fake.

Yea, he's an easy addition to any game with Bowser in it.

I'm not really bothered by "omg, three Marios, three Marths! etc" that's usually used against clones. I just like a lot of characters with variety, even if that variety is rather minor.

Metal Mario is one of my favorite spin off characters, and I always use him whenever I'm given the chance. Dry Bowser too, although he at least has played a major role in the most recent Mario postgames. In many ways, Dry Bowser was actually the "true" Final Boss of NSMB2 and Super Mario 3D Land.

Even just adding a voice filter to Bowser, updating his model, recoloring his fire blue, and adding some bone clack sounds when he attacks and some minor +/- stats would satisfy me.

I'm actually still surprised that Nintendo even made Dry Bowser. Considering what he is/means he's a surprisingly dark addition to the otherwise fairly soft and cuddly mario franchise. No complaints from me though: I grew up on stuff like Brother's Grimm fairy tales so i'm used to seeing characters resurrected from the dead or reassembled from their chopped up body parts only to spring to life again :p

Rather than adding clones I really think the game could benefit from a whole bunch of alt costumes like Dry Bowser, various Zeldas, etc. Sakurai might've said the odd thing or two about not doing them to represent different characters or soemthing in the past but alph and the original plans for Lucina show he's not really 100% stuck against them.

It's funny if you look at all the playable appearances of Boo and Dry Bones. If you stop and think, they're actually dead characters brought back, and Dry Bones is even shown to be zombie like, lurching around and basically being unkillable. Paper Mario kind of skirts totally around this, Boos aren't really seen as being dead at all, and they even talk about being young ghosts as if Boos have a natural life cycle and aren't ghosts. On the flip side Paper Mario totally makes Dry Bones into mindless zombie koopas.

Also Mario got quite dark reading the bios of the ghosts in Luigi's Mansion. Some of them are quite sad, and they don't even bother to pretend these people didn't die.

Dry Bowser is also a totally separate character from Bowser now, but I guess they never explained how that happened. It just did. I guess having an undead Bowser wasn't really something they wanted to keep around, but a giant skeleton relative to Bowser was fine.

RomanceDawn

Dry Bowser...

I remember those early updates and impressions, I got so excited! To me, Little Mac has 2 distinct costume changes and Zero Suit Samus has 1, when I realized that I thought for sure the majority of the cast would get at least 1. When Dry Bowser was just Dry Bowser colors I was so disappointed. it seemed like such a sure thing right? All the costume effort has gone into Mii's man.

Dry Bowser is also a totally separate character from Bowser now, but I guess they never explained how that happened. It just did. I guess having an undead Bowser wasn't really something they wanted to keep around, but a giant skeleton relative to Bowser was fine.

I guess it depends on the game... the transition for the final boss in Mario Party 10 genuinely surprised me being as morbid as it was:
https://youtu.be/hbrhlnecUPo?t=1m44s

One of these days someone will use an Assist Trophy and Chunky Kong will appear and drop a pile of bananas on everyone.

I guess it depends on the game... the transition for the final boss in Mario Party 10 genuinely surprised me being as morbid as it was:
https://youtu.be/hbrhlnecUPo?t=1m44s

Oh, well in Island Tour they explain Dry Bowser is just a relative.

So they can't seem to make up their mind, even in the same spin off series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom