• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, buckled down and submitted my vote.

c2wFSf0.jpg

Come on guys. KOS-MOS is literally a fighting machine. SHE WOULD KICK BUTT!

javadoze

Some of my entries:
  • Inklings (Splatoon) New franchise for Nintendo and a lot of potential with the multiple weapons and squid transformation stuff.
  • Wonder-Red (Wonderful 101) I dunno, shrink the other Wonderful 100 members if you have to.
  • Chibi-Robo (Chibi Robo) The various household items he wields can probably make for an interesting enough character
  • Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle) Sakurai just recently said he was cut and his character is technically in the game already so why not?
  • Dr. Crygor (WarioWare) My left-field choice. I feel like he's a good rep for WarioWare and is indicative of the series' brand of humor.
  • Hades (Kid Icarus Uprising) Gotta have a Falcon clone somewhere.

Nicko

I voted for my man SIMON BELMONT!

latest

Here was my justification:

Along with Mario, Megaman, Link, and Samus, Simon Belmont was one of the iconic video games characters I grew up with. The series has been traditionally on Nintendo systems, and having this character in Smash Bros would be an amazing way to honor the contributions of the Castlevania series. Like the megaman series, this might be a great final way to honor a series which seems to be fading into time (i.e. no new games in series planned).
Also, I feel like Simon's move-sets are unique and fun. Imagine using his whip attacks with "B" directional attacks as special weapons!
Thanks for having this poll!!

Would be awesome to see him in game! Or any of the other Castlevania characters for that matter.

Anyone else show some Castlevania love??

Some of my entries:
  • Inklings (Splatoon) New franchise for Nintendo and a lot of potential with the multiple weapons and squid transformation stuff.
  • Wonder-Red (Wonderful 101) I dunno, shrink the other Wonderful 100 members if you have to.
  • Chibi-Robo (Chibi Robo) The various household items he wields can probably make for an interesting enough character
  • Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle) Sakurai just recently said he was cut and his character is technically in the game already so why not?
  • Dr. Crygor (WarioWare) My left-field choice. I feel like he's a good rep for WarioWare and is indicative of the series' brand of humor.
  • Hades (Kid Icarus Uprising) Gotta have a Falcon clone somewhere.

Wait you voted multiple times? Are we sure they're not disqualifying votes from same sources?

Durden77

Speaking of Shovel Knight, if he somehow made it in, how would you like him to be styled? He's a weird case, because he's obviously designed as retro, but he's actually current. So seeing him "reimagined" with a new model might be a little weird because he's intentionally designed that way, unlike someone like Pit or Duck Hunt.

So would you rather him have a new full 3D model? Or would you rather him stick to his retro design, ala someone like Game & Watch?

Wait you voted multiple times? Are we sure they're not disqualifying votes from same sources?

The terms of the poll do say one vote per person. It's either a bluff or they are logging IPs. If it's the latter, then either your first or last vote is the only one being counted. We don't know if the system disregards all repeat votes or overwrites your most recent vote as your only vote.

Tyeforce

I’m bored, so here are my top four requests (barring Ice Climbers, for technical reasons)…

gfhtu9P.png

First Appearance: Rhythm Heaven (2008) | Latest Appearance: Rhythm Tengoku: The Best + (2015)

I did the “honest” thing by taking the survey just once, with my vote being cast for the Chorus Kids. Rhythm Heaven is the most significant Nintendo franchise without a playable character in Smash Bros., and I’ve really grown to like the Chorus Kids. They’re goofy and charming, and I could easily envision their move set bringing out the best of Rhythm Heaven.

mlxfBVQ.png

First Appearance: Star Fox 64 (1997) | Latest Appearance: Star Fox U (2015) [assumed]

Wolf is the last remaining plausible veteran, and he was one of my most used characters in Brawl. With Star Fox U on the horizon, I’d be shocked if we didn’t get Wolf at some point.

5HLTbso.png

First Appearance: Donkey Kong Country 2 (1995) | Latest Appearance: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2014)

Dixie Kong is one of Nintendo’s earliest female protagonists, and she recently appeared as a playable character in Tropical Freeze. Donkey Kong could use another representative, and I’d much rather have Dixie than K. Rool. And no, she’s not a Diddy clone.

JYT97oR.png

First Appearance: Splatoon (2015)

Splatoon is a new EAD game with a significant internal push (amiibo!), and it looks incredibly fun to boot. The Inklings are tailor-made for Smash Bros. with their colorful personalities and variety of ink-based weaponry.
These are my top character requests as well, with King K. Rool as an alternate choice to Dixie Kong (either of them is fine by me), plus a solo Ice Climber!

ash_ag

I voted for my man SIMON BELMONT!

latest

Here was my justification:

Along with Mario, Megaman, Link, and Samus, Simon Belmont was one of the iconic video games characters I grew up with. The series has been traditionally on Nintendo systems, and having this character in Smash Bros would be an amazing way to honor the contributions of the Castlevania series. Like the megaman series, this might be a great final way to honor a series which seems to be fading into time (i.e. no new games in series planned).
Also, I feel like Simon's move-sets are unique and fun. Imagine using his whip attacks with "B" directional attacks as special weapons!
Thanks for having this poll!!

Would be awesome to see him in game! Or any of the other Castlevania characters for that matter.

Anyone else show some Castlevania love??

I remember being very pro-Simon Belmont back in Brawl pre-release, but I kind of lost interest in the following years. You reminded me how much of a good idea it would really be, for many reasons. While we've had characters that used a whip before, none of them (maybe Ivysaur, I suppose?) fought with it as their main weapon. Simon's play would be very unique. They better go with this design though:

3zMiI9G.gif

Dimmle

I remember being very pro-Simon Belmont back in Brawl pre-release, but I kind of lost interest in the following years. You reminded me how much of a good idea it would really be, for many reasons. While we've had characters that used a whip before, none of them (maybe Ivysaur, I suppose?) fought with it as their main weapon. Simon's play would be very unique. They better go with this design though:

3zMiI9G.gif

nah man

Fabio or no-go

So WayForward straight forward asking their fans to vote for Shantae is leaving a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. Sort of interesting, Twitter stuff from Konami, Ubisoft and Microsoft did not.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Do we have anyone who can tells up what the Japanese are voting? Anyone with some language skills able to browse a forum or two and give us some ideas?

Nanashrew

Banned
Not sure if this helps anyone else with their votes, but this should be all of the mentions in the thread.

Featured Franchise (New character from a franchise with playable characters already in Smash.)
Donkey Kong Jr (Donkey Kong)
K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
Dixie (Donkey Kong Country)
Lanky Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Cranky Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Candy Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Lyn (Fire Emblem)
Anna (Fire Emblem)
Chrom (Fire Emblem)
Tharja (Fire Emblem)
Owain (Fire Emblem)
Black Shadow (F-Zero)
Jody Summers (F-Zero)
Hades (Kid Icarus)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)
Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus)
Bandana Dee (Kirby)
Impa (Legend of Zelda)
Tetra (Legend of Zelda)
Toon Ganondorf (Legend of Zelda)
Toon Zelda (Legend of Zelda)
Ganon (Legend of Zelda)
Vaati (Legend of Zelda)
Ridley (Metroid)
Super Space Pirate (Metroid)
Anthony Higgs (Metroid)
Duster (Mother)
Kumatora (Mother)
Ninten (Mother)
Claus (Mother)
Sceptile (Pokemon)
Torterra (Pokemon)
Melotta (Pokemon)
N (Pokemon)
Blaziken (Pokemon)
King Hippo (Punch-Out)
Doc Louis (Punch-Out)
Mr. Sandman (Punch-Out)
Krystal (Star Fox)
Daisy (Super Mario Bros)
Waluigi (Super Mario Bros)
Koopa Troopa (Super Mario Bros)
Toad (Super Mario Bros)
Wart (Super Mario Bros)
Captain Toad (Super Mario Bros)
Pink Gold Peach (Super Mario Bros)
Shadow Mario (Super Mario Bros)
Dry Bones (Super Mario Bros)
Mouser (Super Mario Bros)
Birdo (Super Mario Bros)
Master Core (Super Smash Bros)
Ashley (WarioWare)
Mona (WarioWare)
Jimmy T (WarioWare)
9-Volt (WarioWare)
Metal Face (Xenoblade)
Elma (Xenoblade)
Dunban (Xenoblade)
Melia Antiqua (Xenoblade)
Kamek (Yoshi's Island)

Returning Character (Playable characters from a previous Smash game that aren't in SSB4)
Roy (Fire Emblem)
Roy (Fire Emblem)
Ice Climbers (Ice Climbers)
Pokemon Trainer (Pokemon)
Squirtle (Pokemon)
Ivysaur (Pokemon)
Wolf (Star Fox)

Assist Trophy (Characters who have already been in SSBB or SSB4 in as assist trophies.)
Ray (Custom Robo)
Jill Dozer (Drill Dozer)
Excitebike (Excitebike)
Midna (Legend of Zelda)
Tingle (Legend of Zelda)
Skull Kid (Legend of Zelda)
Dark Samus (Metroid)
Jeff Andonuts (Mother)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou)
Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)

Current Franchise (Multiple games, new entry as recently as 2010)
Vince (Art Academy)
Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western)
Felix (Golden Sun)
Mia (Golden Sun)
Fawful (Mario & Luigi)
Vivian (Paper Mario)
Brighton (Mario Party)
Admiral Bobbery (Paper Mario)
Mallo (Pushmo)
Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven)
Barista (Rhythm Heaven)
Marshall (Rhythm Heaven)

Current Game (Single game, new entry as recently as 2010)
Abraham Lincoln (Codename S.T.E.A.M.)
Mona (Nintendo Land)
Inkling (Splatoon)
Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)

Dormant Franchise (Multiple games, no new entries as recently than 2010)
Andy (Advance Wars)
Sami (Advance Wars)
Lin (Advance Wars)
Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
ST Falcon (Battle Clash)
Lolo & Lala (Eggerland)
Elite Beat Agents (Elite Beat Agents)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
Paper Mario (Paper Mario)
Meca Hawk (Pilotwings)
Lip (Puzzle League)
Isa Jo (Sin & Punishment)
Mike Jones (StarTropics)
Captain Syrup (Wario Land)

Dormant Game (Single game, released prior to 2010)
Captain Rainbow (Captain Rainbow)
Tamagon (Devil World)
Raymond Bryce (Disaster Day of Crisis)
Alex Roivas (Eternal Darkness)
Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Murasame (Nazo no Murasamejou)
Star Man (Pro Wrestling)
The Amazon (Pro Wrestling)
Samurai (Sakura Samurai)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Mallo (Super Mario RPG)
Tin Star (Tin Star)

Third Party Franchise (All third-party characters, whether or not they fit in the above categories.)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Banjo and Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie)
Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
Jason (Blaster Master)
Django (Boktai)
Bomberman (Bomberman)
Tiz Arrior (Bravely Default)
Ryu (Breath of Fire)
Fou Lu (Breath of Fire)
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
Richter Belmont (Castlevania)
Shanoa (Castlevania)
Dracula (Castlevania)
Quote (Cave Story)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Bill Rizer (Contra)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
Tawna (Crash Bandicoot)
Blob (De Blob)
Adam Jensen (Deus Ex)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Slime (Dragon Quest)
Dudebro (Dudebro: My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time)
4 Fiends (Final Fantasy)
Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
Kefka (Final Fantasy)
Lightning (Final Fantasy)
Lilac (Freedom Planet)
Goemon (Ganbare Goemon)
Vic Viper (Gradius)
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
Gunman Clive (Gunman Clive)
Master Chief (Halo)
Henry Hatsworth (Henry Hatsworth)
Haruka Amami (iD@LMASTER)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Klonoa (Klonoa)
Chase McCain (LEGO City)
Yellow Devil (Mega Man)
Protoman (Mega Man)
Mega Man X (Mega Man)
Zero (Mega Man)
Megaman.EXE (Mega Man)
Snake (Metal Gear)
Marina Liteyears (Mischief Makers)
Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Chibiterasu (Okami)
Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
Mail (Popful Mail)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Rayman (Rayman)
Maxwell (Scribblenauts)
Shantae (Shantae)
Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue)
Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei)
Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Knuckles the Echidna (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Metal Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Dr. Robotnik (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Xianghua (Soul Calibur)
Rusty (Steamworld Dig)
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Chun Li (Street Fighter)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of)
Tetromino (Tetris)
Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
The Witch (The Witch's House)
Neku (The World Ends With You)
Adol Christin (Ys)

Non-video game Nintendo stuff
Hanafuda deck
Captain N
Shigeru Miyamoto
A console
Reggie Fils-Aime
Mister Magician
Non Specific Action Figure

lol
Shrek
John Cena
Bill O'Reilly
Vegeta
Goku
Naruto
Cory Baxter
Batman
Sonichu
Gohan
Dark Magician
Charlie Brown
Elsa
Dio Brando
Hideo Kojima
Brock Lesnar
Joey Wheeler
Hatsune Miku
Joe Montana
Spongebob
Mike Tyson
DMX
Spiderman
Charlie Brown
Policeman from Village People
Zack Morris
Jake Armitage
Sam & Max
Astro Boy
Popeye
Sailor Moon
Crow T. Robot
Bane
Christopher Robin
Mr. Satan

You listed Roy twice.

I am torn.

A mix of nostalgia and just plain awesome. I have many suggestions, but I also don't see many of them panning out.

Mike from Star Tropics 1/2. Captain N the Game Master. (Simon/Trevor) Belmont- any Castlevania guy really (Alucard?). Bomberman. Battletoads. Solid Snake.

Star Tropics is a Classic. Making that character would pave the way for people to rediscover the older games and give people like me (us) that grew up with him a nice trip to yesteryear. Same with Captain N.

Bomberman would fit the roster- darn near Amiibo sized anyways.

Castlevania characters would be fun to play.

Solid Snake- I miss him. Would make sense with the new Metal Gear coming out to help promote both games.

Battletoads- any of them- would be a great pick too. For a game series that has been dormant for so long it still has some internet buzz attached to it. I've done a few no continue runs on twitch- they still get viewers and more audience interaction. They are in the Shovel Knight Win 10 release. Presumably they have a new game coming out. I feel like all of these would help sell that DLC and advertise the new appearances for the characters. Win/win for Nintendo and Microsoft/Rare.

I would personally donate $2500 for Captain N and Battletoads lol.

Ryce

Star Tropics is a Classic. Making that character would pave the way for people to rediscover the older games and give people like me (us) that grew up with him a nice trip to yesteryear. Same with Captain N.
Captain N isn't a video game character, and StarTropics was never released in Japan so I doubt Sakurai and his team feel strongly about including Mike Jones. (I'll never understand why StarTropics didn't make it to Japan, considering it was developed there.)

Finally nailed down my choice as Shantae, she's practically Nintendo exclusive 3rd party at this point (HGH excluded) and would have a ridiculous amount of options available for attacks with transformations, dancing and hair whipping. It'd also add a bit more well needed female representation to the roster. Not like she has a chance anyway, but it was either that or vote Captain Rainbow and he sure as hell won't make it.

Gravidee

So WayForward straight forward asking their fans to vote for Shantae is leaving a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. Sort of interesting, Twitter stuff from Konami, Ubisoft and Microsoft did not.

WF is a smaller, more outgoing company than either of those giants. Also, I don't really see why it wouldn't hurt to ask fans to vote. She'd fit into the game pretty well as another 3rd party with a legacy on Nintendo systems. Not to mention it's not like they were bribing people to vote.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
1. This is a popularity contest. Nothing more, nothing less. Nintendo is just using this to get a sense of who the people want to see, and to get people talking about Smash again. And it's working. Even Phil Spencer is talking about it now with Banjo. Sure some characters are more likely than others, but no one is "wasting" votes.

2. Here's the statement right in your face on the official ballot page..

"Do you want your favorite video-game character to join the battle in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U? Well, here's your chance. If you post a video-game character’s name, we’ll consider turning that character into a Smash fighter!"

If the Facebook post was made before the ballot went up, I could be doing the same thing you're doing but in reverse. And I personally would take what the official page says over a Facebook post anyday.

Just get people pumped to vote for Wonder Red instead of trying to come up with baseless reasons why people's dream characters shouldn't be voted for. You're just sucking the fun out of it.

Bravo.

SmithnCo

Shantae means Dance Through the Danger in Smash, they can keep promoting her.

WayForward has shown Nintendo a lot of support, the Shantae franchise started on a Nintendo platform and they always supported Nintendo. I don't see an issue with them wanting to get Shantae in Smash. Those other developers don't really have a reason to ask for votes from fans. If they really wanted to, they could approach Nintendo themselves.

The Phil Spencer tweet about Banjo is interesting. Microsoft has indeed supported Nintendo before with allowing Rare to release games on GBA and DS, however I feel developers have too much pride to approach Nintendo first. In the case of WayForward they are way too small to even think of asking Nintendo, therefore this is an opportunity for them and I don't blame them trying to grab it.

Eila

Voted for Banjo. Maybe if people bombard Nintendo with Rare votes they will bother talking to MS about those old games/IPs.

Pompadour

So what are the odds that any Assist Trophies would be made playable fighters? I'm betting close to 0% unless there is an absolutely overwhelming demand for, say, SNES Andross.

Regardless, I still voted for Waluigi.

So what are the odds that any Assist Trophies would be made playable fighters? I'm betting close to 0% unless there is an absolutely overwhelming demand for, say, SNES Andross.

Regardless, I still voted for Waluigi.

Little to none, IMO. You could think of it as making noise for them to enter the next game, though.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I will admit I know next to nothing about Shantae. When I first seen a screenshot of her on a Smash character request sheet, I thought she was a Zelda character (I got thrown off by the pointed ears). Then I learned she had her own game series and is mostly relevant with Nintendo. I wouldn't mind her making it in at all.

Neiteio

I know who I'm going to vote for now.

I'm going to do... the right thing.

I'm selling my vote for the low, low price of $500 USD.

PM if interested.

Durden77

4324395-bow+gif.gif

New King of Joke Characters.

EBF2bPv.png

If it wasn't for Wii Fit Trainer kind of fitting this bill already, I'd be all over this.

Actually, fuck it I'm still all over this. Final Smash : "IF ONLY I HAD A WRIST STRAP!" - Takes out a Wii Remote with no wrist strap and swings it like a bat but loses his grip, sending it to ping pong off of all opponents doing damage before crashing into the screen and breaking it (kind of like a star K.O.) and sending everyone flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom