• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponge

Banned
Who would've thought Square would pick to be representing their company with a massively popular character from their flagship series as opposed to a mostly supporting character from a 20-year-old one-shot game that they developed for Nintendo?

Really, who would ever have thought?

Nobody from the Brawl days that's sure!

Cloud's the better choice obviously.

woopWOOP

Since they've already been in talks with Square to get Cloud I don't see why they wouldn't ask for it to be possible for Geno to make an appearance too

as a Mii outfit, ofcourse

Sakurai continues to show his favour for bishonen animu boys with swords. Next we'll get Soma Cruz from Castlevania Aria/Dawn of Sorrow instead of a Belmont, cause Belmonts aren't cute anime boys with swords.

Soma? nah we need someone more synonymous with the PS1.
latest

"I'm interested in this"

NotLiquid

It feels nice to be on the Smash hype train again.

It rarely ever happens, but we're back. This time with no leaks to worry about.

I still feel like we'll get one more newcomer during the event (since there's really no point in blowing a newcomer load this early for an event that seems ripe for announcing and the potential of only setting up a vet). At this point I'm expecting Inkling and Wolf.

Shovel Knight is dead in the waters imo.

My Japanese friend who is staying with me this winter is very pleased. We will be watching the Smash Direct together and weeping at its greatness.

Still holding out for Wolf and Ice Climbers tho. Maybe even another newcomer if we're really lucky.

Actually, I think they have to have another newcomer ready for a December reveal. I think otherwise they would have just shown us what's coming alongside Cloud and given a release date.

- Cloud, Inkling, Wolf, Ice Climbers

Make it happen, Sakurai.

I will never give up on my Climbers

Wow, that left me conflicted XD

On one side I enjoyed the surprise and this is yet another huge addition for smash which I applaud.
On the other I... don't remotely care about cloud himself and I'll never play him :/

We're straight up never going to get a female DLC character are we? Oh well. Congrats to any Cloud fans, this is still a big deal and December should be fun regardless :3

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wow, that left me conflicted XD

On one side I enjoyed the surprise and this is yet another huge addition for smash which I applaud.
On the other I... don't remotely care about cloud himself and I'll never play him :/

We're straight up never going to get a female DLC character are we? Oh well. Congrats to any Cloud fans, this is still a big deal and December should be fun regardless :3

At this rate it might be Lightning....which I wouldn't be opposed to.

Female Inkling is by far the most likely female DLC.

At this rate it might be Lightning....which I wouldn't be opposed to.

Female Inkling is by far the most likely female DLC.
Heh, the whole time during the Cloud reveal I was going "and? ...and?" excitedly expecting maybe Tifa, or Shantotto or Prishe or Terra or something but then it just went 'mii chocobos aaaaand END' :p

Soma? nah we need someone more synonymous with the PS1.
latest

"I'm interested in this"

I thought of Alucard as well but I think he's not bishie enough, since he's actually pretty old, as opposed to Soma, who truly is a young man.

Alucard is more likely than Soma if we ever got a CV character.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A New Challenger Approaches!: Cloud Strife ? the legendary protagonist from the classic RPG game FINAL FANTASY VII ? will enter the battlefield as a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS in the future. Additionally, a special broadcast ? the last one for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS - will be released in December.

Apparently from UK Press Release

----

Notice the bold

Last special presentation doesn't necessarily mean last content. It just means that after that, there won't be any Smash-specific presentations anymore.

Cloud actually makes sense to me, now that I've calmed down a bit (just a bit)

Final Fantasy is a hugely important series for Nintendo. It has a long, interesting history on Nintendo's consoles, with various highs and lows. We all more or less thought at least at some point, a Square rep of some kind was coming, as Nintendo and Square still have a decent relationship, despite the late 90s.

Cloud is pretty much the most iconic Final Fantasy character.

So Cloud isn't "Cloud from FFVII, that game that never released on a Nintendo console" but rather "We wanted a FF rep, and Cloud is the most obvious and popular FF character"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh yeah, his Japanese VA is Takahiro Sakurai. Voiced plenty of my favorite characters like X, Dorulumon, and Polar Bear. Also did Suzaku.

No, it can't end already, I refuse to let it end!

Edit: It might actually just mean the last time they'll do a dedicated Smash Direct. Directs are changing after the new year anyway. It just seems awfully early to end DLC, the Ballot isn't even cold yet.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This should have its own thread

Feel free to make a new thread. I'm taking a break from making new threads in Gaming Section.

Last special presentation doesn't necessarily mean last content. It just means that after that, there won't be any Smash-specific presentations anymore.

Fair Enough but I guess I'm going to set my expectation that December DLC is going to be last DLC contents until Sakurai said otherwise.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm going to repost my post from Nintendo Direct (yesterday or two days ago. I don't remember)

I have a bad feeling that most (or all) newcomers that are coming through DLC are going to be third party characters because it might be easier for them to work out the license and split the profits.

Note: favorite video game character. Not Nintendo character.

No, I'm talking about Default roster Vs. DLC roster for Third-Party characters. It's just my hutch that third party dlc might be easier to acquire the licenses with other companies since they could split the profits, etc.

I think he means it's easier to get third parties for DLC than to get third parties for the base game. Because you can tell Sega 'you can have 30% of the Ryu money' rather than 'you can get a flat rate for Sonic being on the disc.'
^ Someone explained my posts in better way.

jph139

I think that the December Direct will probably say: Here's our plans for the next few months. We'll release X new characters, and then that'll be the end of Smash DLC. Thanks for playing!

If I were to guess, I'd say Cloud and another character in December, another two in the Spring.

End Smash DLC with Wolf, Snake and Cloud.

Cloud could very easily be a ballot character. A ton of people were saying "you know, the actual ballot results probably look nothing like the Internet polls" and maybe Cloud shows that.

He obviously would be super popular in the ballot, but never got mentioned in any poll at all. I believe probably because Internet poll people just assumed he wasn't able to be in Smash.

At this point, it feels like Konami is what kept Snake out. If Nintendo doesn't care enough about how influential a character is on a Nintendo console, as is pretty evident now, then really, it seems like Konami are the ones with the ball in their court.

I think that the December Direct will probably say: Here's our plans for the next few months. We'll release X new characters, and then that'll be the end of Smash DLC. Thanks for playing!

If I were to guess, I'd say Cloud and another character in December, another two in the Spring.

Yea, I could see them just outlining the future of Smash DLC and not literally ending DLC in the middle of December.

Just general "we have 2 more fighters planned for 2016, more balance and some stages" and maybe do a Street Fighter and give some blurry shadows of the characters to tease.

MagnesD3

Banjo Kazooie and Wolf making it in would make me a happy old soul.

Ridley would also get me hype as hell but he isnt coming this time.

Smash 4 overall has completely disappointed me, it would be nice if its last developments could leave me with a smile..

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's pretty unlikely that we'll be seeing a second FF character anytime soon, and it's not like the Monado makes sense for Xenoblade Chronicles X characters.
I'm thinking more in terms of Smash 5. Who knows if they add another FF rep then.
End Smash DLC with Wolf, Snake and Cloud.

Cloud could very easily be a ballot character. A ton of people were saying "you know, the actual ballot results probably look nothing like the Internet polls" and maybe Cloud shows that.

He obviously would be super popular in the ballot, but never got mentioned in any poll at all. I believe probably because Internet poll people just assumed he wasn't able to be in Smash.
I said this in the other thread: Cloud is more of a character known to gaming as a whole than one popular in Nintendo circles. It was natural for Cloud to be overlooked in Smash discussions because most of the people that participate in them are exclusively Nintendo fans.

I totally believe this is a ballot character. FFVII is the most popular FF of all time, particularly in Japan.

It's funny how Goku doesn't even seem unlikely at this point.

What a way to end DLC though if Goku was the last new comer to Smash.

Like, it would be the absolute end to the Smash hype train, almost coming full circle with the most popular joke pick next to Shrek.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think Cloud might get cut for Smash 5 or whatever since Square-Enix apparently is strict with their babies. Who knows.

I have in the past pulling from Dragon Quest, Rocket Slime and his appearance in Mario Sports Mix. My vision is something akin to Shuma-Gorath in MvC and Arakune from BlazBlue. A morph fighter, essentially.

That was interesting idea for moveset. Let see what would happens in the future with Smash 5.

I think Cloud might get cut for Smash 5 or whatever since Square-Enix apparently is strict with their babies. Who knows.

TBH any 3rd party is at risk of being axed at any time. This is especially true if the relations between Nintendo and that 3rd party become rocky for some reason, or that 3rd party decides to go apeshit (looking at you, Konami).

Like, it would be the absolute end to the Smash hype train, almost coming full circle with the most popular joke pick next to Shrek.

I do think that the roster still will only be limited to video game characters, though. The ballot specifically said video game characters, right?
And yes, I am aware that there is Dragon Ball games, but there are also games starring Mickey Mouse, Batman and Shrek - which doesn't make them video game characters, just characters with video games attached to their license.

As an outside chance, Mario is rumored to be featured heavily in the Wreck-it-Ralph sequel. I would give an outside chance of Wreck-It-Ralph being included one day

Sponge

Banned
As an outside chance, Mario is rumored to be featured heavily in the Wreck-it-Ralph sequel. I would give an outside chance of Wreck-It-Ralph being included one day

I hope that still happens. For some reason I feel like that rumored Sony Mario film could get in the way of that.

PK Gaming

Seems like everyone took this a lot better than I anticipated

I know he's another swordsman, but goddamn when FF7's main theme started playing again I was grinning ear to ear

I'm so stocked

MagnesD3

Seems like everyone took this a lot better than I anticipated

I know he's another swordsman, but goddamn when FF7's main theme started playing again I was grinning ear to ear

I'm so stocked

The way I see it he is THE swordsman, I kinda wish we could delete alot of the other swordsman and just have cloud take their place..

Crayolan

Must people really be so petty? like....really, what is wrong with all of you?

It's harsh but true.

I'm just happy to have people's expectations shattered. Everytime we think we've got everything figured out Sakurai throws a curve ball to throw us off. It's great. This is probably the most shocking character reveal since Snake.

Goku in smash before Ridley would be hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom