• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
b9Dl7gd.png

Ryce

I like that the three fighting archetypes represented by Miis each have a corresponding guest character now: Brawler (Ryu), Swordfighter (Cloud), and Gunner (Mega Man).

^ Someone explained my posts in better way.

That's actually a very good point. Plus third party characters garner a bit more profile than someone like King K. Rool or Wolf, so they'll invariably sell better. The next third party that would make sense is Solid Snake. Though I'm still banking/hoping for someone from Dragon Quest considering, even in the NA stream, they mentioned how close the Dragon Quest franchise is with Nintendo.

Yeah, I've never been a big fan of TheBitBlock and those twitter posts basically show why.

Not to mention, Josh Thomas holds the most heinous crime of
disliking Kid Icarus Uprising
. Not cool in my book.

Ryce

I wonder if the absence of downloadable Assist Trophies is a deliberate decision or a technical oversight. It's possible that the game wasn't developed with the proper hooks in place for additional items. It's a minor shame that series as significant as Street Fighter and Final Fantasy don't feel fully featured due to their lack of Assist Trophies and regular trophies.

I wonder if the absence of downloadable Assist Trophies is a deliberate decision or a technical oversight. It's possible that the game wasn't developed with the proper hooks in place for additional items. It's a minor shame that series as significant as Street Fighter and Final Fantasy don't feel fully featured due to their lack of Assist Trophies and regular trophies.

I kinda wished they had Smash Run enemies as well.

Okay, SF doesn't have anything plausible but FF has a wide variety of iconic enemies to choose from.

Ryce

Oh, you mentioned regular trophies in your post.
I don't like that Street Fighter got the bare minimum regarding trophies (it makes the series seem less significant than the others), but I'm assuming Sakurai doesn't want to fatten up the download size with "unnecessary" content. I wonder if the Midgar summon models will get trophies.

Gleethor

I can see the point about 3rd party DLC characters selling better than more obscure 1st party stuff. But I think Inkling is a 1st party character that would sell truckloads and Wolf would obviously be less work than a newcomer so they still still make sense as well. I really want Snake to come back too but I'm starting to doubt that we're getting anything beyond Cloud + two more characters next month.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That's actually a very good point. Plus third party characters garner a bit more profile than someone like King K. Rool or Wolf, so they'll invariably sell better. The next third party that would make sense is Solid Snake. Though I'm still banking/hoping for someone from Dragon Quest considering, even in the NA stream, they mentioned how close the Dragon Quest franchise is with Nintendo.

Yeah, I'm legit curious why they would split the announcement into two. Direct and Special Smash Broadcast. Are we going to get other good announcement or what? Would we get more veterans or Roy and Lucas were last two veterans?

TBH any 3rd party is at risk of being axed at any time. This is especially true if the relations between Nintendo and that 3rd party become rocky for some reason, or that 3rd party decides to go apeshit (looking at you, Konami).

Yeah, that's true. I just hope that Nintendo would maintain good relationship with those third-party companies because those characters were fantastic additions to the roster. It would be a huge shame if they got cut.

I think they might figure that they are not worth to work on for Smash Bros. It's truly unfortunate. I have a good feeling that Sephiroth or Aerith would be more likely to be assist trophy, but again, it might be Tifa.

Ken, Akuma or Chun Li would be obvious pick for Assist Trophy, right?

I kinda wished they had Smash Run enemies as well.

Okay, SF doesn't have anything plausible but FF has a wide variety of iconic enemies to choose from.

Imagine Bomb, Cactuar and Molboro in Smash Run. That would be so good.

Zubz

Banned
Ken, Akuma or Chun Li would be obvious pick for Assist Trophy, right?

I totally see Chun-Li being the SF Assist Trophy. Maybe they'll add her if they do an NX remake?

Actually, how about Seth as SF's Smash Run enemy? There's a bunch of them out there. They could all use Tanden Typhoon.

lol

I mean, what else can they do? Try to dip into the Final Fight rogue's gallery and find something nonhuman? I'd be fine with a bunch of Seths running around Smash Run, personally.

Ryce

Back in April, Sakurai said something about treating the DLC as its own project, complete with its own planning period. I feel like Cloud and the other hypothetical December characters were designed alongside Ryu, Lucas, and Roy with the intent of distributing half the characters at E3 (the biggest gaming event of the year) and the other half during the holiday season ($$$).

I think two more characters are going to be released alongside Cloud in December (Wolf and someone else), and that’ll be the end of it.

Sakurai could use the video presentation to announce that one final set of DLC influenced by the ballot will release in 2016, but that’s a little too optimistic for me. I really do believe the ballot was noncommittal and existed for Sakurai’s own amusement: “Who do the fans want? Is there any overlap with my plans?”

Village

Gray Fox, Shadow, and Elec Man are all secondary antagonists, so Akuma would probably be the Street Fighter AT.

I think the Cyborg Ninja and Shadow thing have less to do with that connection than you think.

People just really like the first two, and that's kind of it. A lot of folk don't consider shadow an antagonist either so there's that. If he wanted to do antagonists, he could have done metal sonic you know? I think assists are folks who are popular/ vs cocepts they can make work and thats about the long and short. And even then rules can be broken, so its whatever.

Found this on Smashboards:

cnI6YKo.png

Google Translated Sakurai tweet. No one is quite sure if this is referring to Cloud specifically or another character, possibly the one from the ballot.

kirby_fox

Banned
I'm not a huge FF fan, and the trailer was a bit meh for me. Not sure if I'll like playing as him or not.

What I am excited for is that I really expect no fucks to be given after this announcement, while at the same time all the care in the world to be given to these characters. What I mean by that is: any video game character that they can get a hold of is probably game. I feel like the last of the DLC is going to be blown out the water next month.

Lol sounds like Ridley or something

He's like "Jesus okay we'll do it already"

A part of me thinks he could be referring to Chorus Men or Ice Climbers. The only other thing I could think of is, sadly, someone like Goku or Mickey Mouse. Characters who transcend the video game sphere.

Link to the original tweet? Someone can probably translate it better than google.

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/664937547122913280

The positivity in this thread is really refreshing, lol

Aside from a couple of lolsworthy complaints in the Cloud threads, I haven't seen much of the negativity my Twitter feed keeps talking about. Maybe I've just been reading the right threads?

Found this on Smashboards:

cnI6YKo.png

Google Translated Sakurai tweet. No one is quite sure if this is referring to Cloud specifically or another character, possibly the one from the ballot.

Our own Cheesemeister has us covered.

I think I fulfilled a fairly difficult request, what do you think [about it]? For more details, I'll explain in the special Smash presentation in December. [2]

kirby_fox

Banned
You know what'd be a difficult request? Changing an assist trophy to a playable character :p

Ice Climbers would be the most difficult request...maybe...GASP

Sakurai decided that Ice Climbers would return- on the Wii U you can play as the duo. On the 3DS you can only play as one. Technically the rosters are the same.

Ice Climbers would be the most difficult request...maybe...GASP

Sakurai decided that Ice Climbers would return- on the Wii U you can play as the duo. On the 3DS you can only play as one. Technically the rosters are the same.
That did come to mind along with Ridley. Guess we'll see on December. Unless he's talking about sheer number of characters seeing as he's talking about the schedule? :eek:

Can't be too hard. We got mac and to a lesser extent, charizard.
Well, I meant an assist trophy that's actually in the game itself. Say, choosing randomly for an example. Ashley :p

That moment when the music started and the stars appeared my reaction was "no fucking way." I don't think I've ever had that reaction to a Smash character trailer before. Snake was spoiled by press reports before hand, as was Sonic. That Cloud reveal was visceral, man.

Looking back I feel really silly for even considering the Shovel Knight possibility. That rumor was just blown the fuck out--Cloud makes it pretty damn clear, for guest characters, this is the big kids table.

But I have to think back on one of my earlier predictions in the topic, back when I think I was arguing with ballad over Waddle Dee or something--I had a feeling the character would be someone that would have far wider reaching appeal than the typical goobers you see at the top of online polls. Someone I couldn't see coming. Granted, we don't yet know if Cloud came about because of the ballot directly though.

But still, holy shit.

Concerning Midgar, it seems Materia occasionally appears and floats about the stage and grabbing it causes your character to Summon. Presumably your character is immune to the damaging effects? The Summons we've seen are:

Odin -- cleaves the stage in half with Zantetsuken. I would guess getting hit by it is an instant kill, because that's what Odin does.
Leviathan -- floods the stage with Tidal Wave, causes the stage to surf along the top. Possible current that sweeps characters away.
Ramuh -- uses Judgment Bolt to electrify the top three platforms.
Ifrit -- ignites a corner of the stage with Hellfire, tilting it in the opposite direction, kind of like Zekrom's attacks in Unova Pokemon League.
Bahamut 0 -- strikes an area of the stage with an enormously devastating Teraflare that appears as a large pillar of light tracking in from the background.

I wonder if that's it for the summons. Of the original six main summons the only two missing are Shiva and Titan. It'd be odd to leave Shiva out, though she could be a ratings problem. I dunno.

I also wonder if the 3DS can handle some of these. Bahamut's flare looked especially intense.

EDIT: I almost kind of wonder if the summon redesigns are the ones being used for the Final Fantasy VII remake, as they're clearly new designs based on their FFVII incarnations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom