• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Consider me impressed if they somehow managed to do all of this within a month if he is a ballot character.
They had to know which characters were popular months in advance.

The other reason I am sure this is a ballot character was that Sakurai said anything post-Ryu would be fanservice.

jph139

I mean, honestly, in retrospect, it's obvious Cloud would be high in the polls. I just figured Sakurai would put him in the pile with Goku and Naruto and Master Chief and throw him in the trash.

But nah. He cracked his knuckles, made some phone calls, and here we are. Fanservice indeed.

Midgar appears to be the most intense DLC stage we've had, both graphically and hazard wise. Up until now, the new DLC stages had been fairly mild, other than the occasional lava block. Or lewd Miiverse drawing.

I really hope the summons don't appear in All Star. The '97 era actually lacks any real annoying stages for All Star (Onett is the worst and it's not even that bad)... so having one added will be pretty sad unless they turn off the summons.

It's hopeless on the 3DS though. While that era is great on the Wii U, on the 3DS you have Reshiram, the Flying Man, Trains and now ridiculous summons. Good times. I actually kind of wonder how Midgar will even function on the 3DS, certainly none of what we saw is actually possible on the 3DS, especially not with such a detailed background.

This only really effects people like me who run through All Star every so often for fun.

When I said mainstream, I literally meant mainstream. As in the "dominant" culture -- people who don't play videogames or only play a little. Perhaps the definition of that is the issue. The remake buzz and everything included in that Wikipedia article doesn't really speak to his popularity or recognition "mainstream". The reception section exclusively cites games media. So I continue to doubt his popularity in the "mainstream", at least in the United States.

Note: That doesn't mean he isn't a videogame icon, but he's not Pacman, PIkachu, Mario, or even Donkey Kong and Kirby. Unlike those characters, I doubt he would be recognizable to many outside of the gaming community. Regardless, he is one of the most recognizable characters they could have potentially added. Very few videogame characters are recognizable to "mainstream" audiences like those I mentioned earlier. It's still an explosive choice and the Final Fantasy series as a whole is one of the most notable in gaming. But none of that speaks to my comment, which is consistent with these beliefs.

They really need to add in some sort of hazard switch/slider. Just like in Kirby: Air Ride.

The stages exist in the files for All Star/8 Player.
There's a system in place for stage toggles (holding L, for Boxing Ring)

So... just put those two together...

Just read this on Smash Wiki
Cloud is the only newcomer in Smash 4 to have debuted in the 1990's, with Final Fantasy VII coming out in 1997.

Uhh... wow... guess so. Never really realized how the 90s were basically ignored for Smash 4...

Ryce

Uhh... wow... guess so. Never really realized how the 90s were basically ignored for Smash 4...
"Ignored" isn't the word I'd use -- practically all of the important '90s characters were added in 64, Melee, and Brawl. I don't think Sakurai considers decade of origin when including characters.

One of the reasons I hate it...

Well, it would be hard to beat Brawl at

- Sonic
- Charizard
- Ivysaur
- Squirtle
- Wolf
- Metaknight
- Dedede
- Wario

I mean, that's pretty much all of Nintendo's major 90s characters, and Sonic.

"Ignored" isn't the word I'd use -- practically all of the important '90s characters were added in 64, Melee, and Brawl. I don't think Sakurai considers decade of origin when including characters.

The only two stages based on an N64 game in Smash 4 Wii U are DLC, so it was kind of ignored on the Stage front.

Ryce

I saw this posted on Reddit:

hu9eBMo.jpg

It's hard to believe all of these characters are available in the same game together.

That image is missing a mullet.

Papa Sakurai's not going to disappoint in December.

Snake feels as likely as he's ever been. Cloud kind of reinvigorated ideas that anyone is possible in Smash.

The word requests does not mean Cloud is from the ballot. He was a request for a long time as a half joke, he was fairly difficult, but he's in now. There was no mention of the ballot, even when it would make lots of sense for them to say 'Hey we heard your votes and are listening.' Even if you use the suggestion box excuse they would at least pay lip service to listening!

Mute City and Jungle Japes on 3DS are also from the 90s. There's probably more. There is is more to the 90s than the N64, too. The Kongo Jungle stage is from DKC, Great Cave Offensive is from Sakurai's own game.

I think the biggest omission in terms of 90's characters are the Nintendo-owned Rare characters: K. Rool, Dixie, and even Cranky. And of course, on the Microsoft side, Banjo & Kazooie.

--

I think the weirdest thing about the Cloud inclusion is thinking about some of the matchups possible with some of the lesser known characters or characters which really different character designs/series. Mario, Sonic, etc. vs. Cloud is obviously "startling", but I somehow am more intrigued by the idea of something like Cloud vs. King DeDeDe. There's a "wtf" element to it that I enjoy.

SaikyoBro

This game has almost every important video game character (that isn't owned by Sony/Microsoft) except Snake now. :[

I would say Cloud makes me feel better about his chances (the "no relevance to Nintendo" argument is literally dead in the water now) but I'm pretty sure the December direct is the end of the line and we're just getting two characters, and I'd be pretty shocked if it wasn't either Wolf and a newcomer or just two newcomers. Hope I'm wrong,

At any rate, yes, this game's roster is really, really good. I'm still super glad Cloud wasn't leaked, I had forgotten what it felt like to be surprised with a trailer in this game.

I still can't believe that this roster will be pushing close to 60 characters. I would have never thought back when mega man was revealed at e3.

The word requests does not mean Cloud is from the ballot. He was a request for a long time as a half joke, he was fairly difficult, but he's in now. There was no mention of the ballot, even when it would make lots of sense for them to say 'Hey we heard your votes and are listening.' Even if you use the suggestion box excuse they would at least pay lip service to listening!

Yep, Sakurai also mentioned requests for Ryu, even though he's a non-ballot character.He could be talking about historical data or just general appeal inferred from the popularity of the character/series in general.

I will guess two newcomers from ballot in December and then Wolf whenever since he is easy and Sakurai knows how it would hurt his fans from Brawl to see him out in the cold

I hope December's character DLC pack is Cloud, Wolf, and Snake. Because I don't see Sakurai's chosen fighter(s) from the ballot being made past the modeling/licensing concepts right now.

Even though Wolf might have been pushed back with Star Fox Zero

NotLiquid

Question to ponder on - if Smash ends up having only one more newcomer that the ballot might have had some influence on, who do you think it'll be? First party or third party, doesn't matter (though I still assume we have to see one new first party newcomer to the game before the DLC ends, especially after the only newcomers since release have been third party).

Question to ponder on - if Smash ends up having only one more newcomer that the ballot might have had some influence on, who do you think it'll be? First party or third party, doesn't matter (though I still assume we have to see one new first party newcomer to the game before the DLC ends, especially after the only newcomers since release have been third party).
I think it will be k. Rool

SaikyoBro

I'm also really glad we got another prominent N64/PS1 character since that's the generation of games I grew up with for the most part. It feels like that whole era kind of gets blown off in these games, I think the only characters in the whole series who debuted on those consoles are Wolf (who got cut), Villager (only in Japan), and Sheik and Ganondorf (new forms of characters who've been around since the 80s).

- Snake (returning gloriously)
- Ice Climber(s) (also returning gloriously)
- Wolf (gloriously returning)
- Inkling (cuz Splatoon is rad)
- Chorus Kids (cuz RH is a series screaming to be in Smash)
- K. Rool or Dixie (cuz DK fans can't have it too good)
- Balloonist/Balloon Fighter (for Iwata ;-;)

Sakurai, if you want a perfect Smash roster (for little old me), that's all you have to do.

I legitimately cannot think of a new comer that would top Cloud at this point.
Your probably right, but if they are dedicating a entire Direct AFTER the Cloud reveal it has to be something big. Perhaps something thats been a long time coming like Ridley or KRool., but my money is on Banjo. I also have this feeling that its all going to the third parties and they are done with veterans. Hope Wolf comes back for people that want him, but I don't see it. (My track record is poor so...)

Don't think its a Konami because...well. But Banjo, Minecraft rep, Crono, Tetris rep, Sony rep, Snake, and Bomberman are the only reps I feel could rival Cloud in a big historical sense. I'm with you that its hard to comeup with anything, but just think:

In the E3 Smash Direct Lucas was the prereveal, while Roy and Ryu were the big reveals that were available alongside Lucas. Now, its Cloud who is the prereveal. O_O
So with that, I think the big new comer is out of the way. Like, that's it. Cloud and Ryu. Cloud was a ballot character, picked mid summer due to the huge amount of support.
Could definately see this but I feel like it would've been mentioned so I don't think he is a ballot character. Could is big enough like Ryu to be non ballot imo.

It's going to kill Sakurai to not have Snake in this game. I know it. He's managed to basically bring out every major third party he could. Except the o original Third Party Smash character. I imagine he's trying everything possible to sway Konami.
I 100% agree. Anyone who sees that it was Sakurai or Kojima or Nintendo that cut Snake is delusional. Sakurai is probably trying everything. Hope he succeeds.

Forkball

Guys my uncle works at Nintendo and he said Cloud from Final Fantasy VII is going to be in Smash and he will have his normal AND Advent Children clothes with limit breaks and summons and his final smash is Omnislash.

Qurupeke

I voted for FF1 Mage. Thanks Cloud for taking his deserved spot. :(

Anyway, Snake is a must to happen now, I really hope he's in. Other than the veterans, I have no idea who else they might add. There's still stuff like Ridley, K.Rool, Chorus Kids(lol) etc. but they're kind of obscure. I don't expect more like than 5 character additions, and 5 is a pretty big number. Actually, I'm leaning towards to 2 or 3.

Guys my uncle works at Nintendo and he said Cloud from Final Fantasy VII is going to be in Smash and he will have his normal AND Advent Children clothes with limit breaks and summons and his final smash is Omnislash.

Haha, I still can't believe how fake it sounds. I missed the Direct and I saw the thread, thinking it was speculation or something.

You joke, but Cloud was leaked before the Direct on Gamefaqs by a "my uncle works at Nintendo" joke post, and everyone ignored the poster.

And reading that, yea, nobody would have believed Cloud leaking at all.

He got to the end of DKC2 and to celebrate he will give us a level based on the Lost World;
Jungle Jinx
Well at least we'd get a remix of Primal Rave instead right? (nope)

Oh I never stopped noticing this...
I think the biggest omission in terms of 90's characters are the Nintendo-owned Rare characters: K. Rool, Dixie, and even Cranky. And of course, on the Microsoft side, Banjo & Kazooie.
Because I desperately want some of these chaps.

Cloud better say "Let's mosey" in one of his winning poses.

Anyway, I'm thinking there are going to be two more characters left shown in the special presentation, plus one or two returning stages and some Mii costumes and that will be it for Smash DLC. A little over one solid year of DLC support consisting of seven characters and seven+ stages is more than impressive.

I think maybe four, based only on the eShop bundle being four characters.

Cloud
Wolf
Snake
Banjo Kazooie (the only other character I think could legitimately match Cloud at this point)

You think the eShop melted when Ryu was released, you haven't seen anything lmao

TDLink

Cloud better say "Let's mosey" in one of his winning poses.

Anyway, I'm thinking there are going to be two more characters left shown in the special presentation, plus one or two returning stages and some Mii costumes and that will be it for Smash DLC. A little over one solid year of DLC support consisting of seven characters and seven+ stages is more than impressive.

It's going to be 4 characters for a full character pack 2. Just like there were 4 in character pack 1. I would bet on it.

It's going to be 4 characters for a full character pack 2. Just like there were 4 in character pack 1. I would bet on it.

Unless Mewtwo counts as a "bonus" character, which he very well might. His release was a little different than the other DLC characters, and he's always mostly been an "other" character in DLC advertisements.

TDLink

Unless Mewtwo counts as a "bonus" character, which he very well might. His release was a little different than the other DLC characters, and he's always mostly been an "other" character in DLC advertisements.
I don't think so. He was used in a promotion but he's otherwise a full dlc character that costs the same as the others and is included in the pack.

It's going to be 4 more, cloud included.

Ryce

Against my better judgment, I’m starting to suspect Snake. I think he’ll close out the special presentation after Sakurai has said his goodbyes — we’ll get a final bow, the copyright screen will show up, and then… “Kept you waiting, huh?” I don’t think Sakurai would bother with a standalone presentation unless he had something big up his sleeve.

Snake’s inclusion will mark three mature, “non-Nintendo” human DLC guests in contrast to the disc’s three cutesy mascot guest characters.

Cloud, Snake, and Wolf are releasing in December. Bank on it.

NotLiquid

For the record I don't think there's a rule that states that Smash 4 DLC needs to end with a bang. Nothing really dictates it. It didn't happen with Smash 4's base roster and it didn't happen with Brawl. Sure, Smash 4 did intend on Duck Hunt Dog being the big surprise character no one expected but that did not cause anywhere near as much of a stir as Mega Man did.

I'm not expecting Snake at all. Leaving only veterans as announcements is completely anti-hype. If that's what's going to happen they should have announced a vet last night instead of Cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom