• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

Not for Snake. With Konami's baggage, having (Solid) Snake return, likely voiced by Hayter (using Brawl lines) and with full respect to the series and Kojima, would bring massive hype.

So why not just announce Snake yesterday instead of Cloud if we're having no other newcomers? Makes absolutely no sense to me. I feel like it'd be incredibly tepid.

For the record I don't think there's a rule that states that Smash 4 DLC needs to end with a bang. Nothing really dictates it. It didn't happen with Smash 4's base roster and it didn't happen with Brawl. Sure, Smash 4 did intend on Duck Hunt Dog being the big surprise guest character but that did not cause anywhere near as much of a stir as Mega Man did.

I'm not expecting Snake at all. Leaving only veterans as announcements is completely anti-hype. If that's what's going to happen they should have announced a vet last night instead of Cloud.
The veterans left are
Pichu
Ice climbers
Wolf
Snake
Bulbasaur
Squirtle
I could see sakurai choosing 2 of those and giving us one newcomer. The newcomers who I've seen mentioned a lot are rool and Ridley. If this is truly the end of smash dlc I could see him giving us one of those 2. He knows Ridley has been requested since melee.

NotLiquid

Because it's a general Nintendo Direct and so more eyes were on it than a Smash specific Direct.

Sorry but I don't really think this accounts for much considering Smash is a big enough deal to stand on it's own. By that same logic Ryu should have been revealed in a general Direct. The Smash specific Directs have amassed over 2-3 million views each. If you're going to hype up one as being "the very last one", I don't see no reason why something as megaton as Cloud couldn't have been saved for that if there are no other newcomers incoming.

Crayolan

For the record I don't think there's a rule that states that Smash 4 DLC needs to end with a bang. Nothing really dictates it. It didn't happen with Smash 4's base roster and it didn't happen with Brawl. Sure, Smash 4 did intend on Duck Hunt Dog being the big surprise character no one expected but that did not cause anywhere near as much of a stir as Mega Man did.

I'm not expecting Snake at all. Leaving only veterans as announcements is completely anti-hype. If that's what's going to happen they should have announced a vet last night instead of Cloud.

It sure doesn't have to end with a bang, but I imagine Sakurai will try his darndest to make it happen if he can.

MagnesD3

I think maybe four, based only on the eShop bundle being four characters.

Cloud
Wolf
Snake
Banjo Kazooie (the only other character I think could legitimately match Cloud at this point)

You think the eShop melted when Ryu was released, you haven't seen anything lmao
I would turn into a joyful child again for a moment if BK and wolf somehow got in.

kirby_fox

Banned
I can see it now...

Character-wise we'll get vets back: Wolf, Pichu, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Ivysaur, Squirtle and Snake. "I always felt bad about cutting a character from game to game, because fans of that character would no longer be able to play as them. With the ballot, there were many fans urging for their favorite character to return. Even characters like Young Link and Pichu. And yes, even Snake returns!"

Then he'll go into newcomers "I know a lot of people weren't expecting Cloud, but there was big demand for the character. While his game has not been released on a Nintendo system, I decided to still include him because of his popularity. There were other characters like Cloud, who would seem impossible to include, but I wanted to include as many as possible. Please, take a look at this."

Banjo-Kazooie crosses over!

"Yes that's right. Banjo-Kazooie, who is a popular character made by Rare, is joining Smash Bros. I saw a lot of demand for Banjo-Kazooie, and it's great we were able to have him join the fight. While it felt impossible, this is definitely a huge effort between Nintendo and Rare. He's modeled after his look in the Nintendo 64 titles. Looks good, doesn't he? Here's another character we didn't think would be possible."

Steve crafts a fight!

"Hmm? Who is this? This is Steve, from a game called Minecraft. He was a popular character in the ballot as well. He fights with a pickax! All of these characters didn't seem possible, but we worked hard with other teams helping us. Yes, that's right- if it weren't for these teams helping build their models, this wouldn't be possible! But I didn't forget about Nintendo games either. Have a look at this."

Dixie swings in!

"Yes, Dixie Kong joins Smash as the only Nintendo newcomer. We weren't able to do much more with the game- but we were able to make a lot of Mii costumes. Have a look at all the choices."

Wonder Red, Ashley, name your fave character not mentioned here gets a Mii costume instead.

"I hope you enjoy what we plan to bring to Smash for the last of the DLC."

11 characters total, no other stages brought back or added in. And the only Nintendo newcomer is Dixie Kong...

Richie

The best/worst part of this confirmation is that now I'm actively hoping for Banjo Kazooie instead of resigning myself to it never happening. Dammit.

Mario, Sonic, etc. vs. Cloud is obviously "startling", but I somehow am more intrigued by the idea of something like Cloud vs. King DeDeDe. There's a "wtf" element to it that I enjoy.

...Holy Jesus, Dedede's clothes are practically Don Corneo's.

SaikyoBro

Against my better judgment, I’m starting to suspect Snake. I think he’ll close out the special presentation after Sakurai has said his goodbyes — we’ll get a final bow, the copyright screen will show up, and then… “Kept you waiting, huh?” I don’t think Sakurai would bother with a standalone presentation unless he had something big up his sleeve.

Snake’s inclusion will mark three mature, “non-Nintendo” human DLC guests in contrast to the disc’s three cutesy mascot guest characters.

Cloud, Snake, and Wolf are releasing in December. Bank on it.

This would be the best possible scenario for me but I'm really, really skeptical.

Assuming there's three characters left and that this is the last we'll see of any Smash content I don't think they'd leave two veterans for last, even though they're both fan-favorites and Snake is a huge deal. That would mean the entire seven character DLC line-up only had two newcomers, both third-party characters. That's not something I'm opposed to at all, but it just sounds absurd to me. Obviously veterans are hugely popular (and take less work than brand new characters) but having them serve as 5/7 of the additional characters sounds too unlikely to me, for better or worse. It's possible we could get Snake instead of Wolf, but as happy as I'd be to see him I'd feel pretty bad for Wolf fans since there's really nothing standing in his way at this point.

I don't know, I just have trouble imagining they wouldn't add a single first-party newcomer. Everybody wants K. Rool and Inklings, Dixie Kong makes all the sense in the world, there's so many choices and I have a hard time convincing myself they'd ignore them in favor of veterans and third-party characters.

I really hope there's four characters like some people are suggesting. If that's the case I can easily see Wolf, Cloud, Snake, and another newcomer as the "DLC Bundle 2" or whatever.

Also, between the various Nintendo/Microsoft things popping up and Cloud Strife of all characters making it in I'm starting to seriously consider Banjo. I still don't think it's likely but I'd be incredibly happy to see him.

Thinking about Banjo some more.

Rare Replay came out this year. This isn't too important, or maybe even nothing, but they may have needed Nintendo to sign off on Banjo Kazooie/Tooie. At least to ensure all references to Nintendo were removed.

Donkey Kong 64 gets released on the Wii U, with all Rare references fully intact, including a replica of Jetpac, a game Microsoft fully owns now.

Now Minecraft gets heavily rumored to be on the Wii U, implying some kind of MS/Nintendo deal.

Just a lot of Rare/Microsoft + Nintendo stuff happening lately.

Evidently the first two happened before the ballot. But still.

I think maybe we were too quick to mark Banjo as "impossible"

I seriously doubt the Brawl theme was played there for kicks. A veteran from Brawl is all but confirmed for the broadcast.

Apparently that song was composed by a Final Fantasy composer? That's what I've heard.

georly

Now Minecraft gets heavily rumored to be on the Wii U, implying some kind of MS/Nintendo deal.

I absolutely love the idea of nintendo making deals with publishers and using "Smash Bros Character" as a bargaining chip. It's the best fanfiction, even if it may possibly be true.

Apparently that song was composed by a Final Fantasy composer? That's what I've heard.

Yeah, both the brawl theme and the FF7 theme were Nobuo Uematsu.

I'm not a FF fan at all, but I find Cloud hype as fuck. I always felt FF was a big enough franchise for a character in Smash, I just never thought it would happen.

TDLink

Would Banjo and Kazooie being playable in Smash be the gaming equivalent of Spiderman being in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Sort of. I think it's more like Daredevil coming back to the MCU than Spider-man. That analogy would be more appropriate if Mario was the one Microsoft had the rights to.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I actually like it that Cloud is the only (so far) 90's character who is a newcomer since the older games had so plenty to pull from from that decade. It removed the idea that a character must have "proven its worth" or that "should be a classic".

ffdgh

I actually like it that Cloud is the only (so far) 90's character who is a newcomer since the older games had so plenty to pull from from that decade. It removed the idea that a character must have "proven its worth" or that "should be a classic".

But those 2 descriptions apply to cloud...for me anyway.

Ryce

But Final Fantasy VII is a classic...

MagnesD3

I need my 90's characters man, this game has been DOA for me character wise, hell they removed a 90's character Wolf (one of my dream characters :( ) instead of adding one, like wtf.

Late 90s Nintendo is a little hard to get reps for anyway

N64 Nintendo was dominated by Rare games and 3D versions of old series. There's just Custom Robo, Paper Mario and Banjo left at this point for the N64 (and I'm not sure CR really has a chance as DLC) as far as new IP is concerned. And a bunch of other Rare games that really don't have the push needed for Nintendo to bother (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Conker)

Villager is the only N64 series in the entire game. And for the majority of people, he's a GCN rep, not an N64 rep (although technically he's N64). And he's not from the late 90s anyway. Sheik and Ganondorf are from an old series, as is Wolf (whose in limbo right now).

Mario, Diddy and Mewtwo actually have a lot of 64 references in their actual move sets though. So that's nice.

The 64 was kind of an awkward time for new Nintendo IP. Or really, even new Nintendo characters in general.

An interesting thought...anyone here played this game?

vH35tzp.jpg

It's another fighting game that, of course, has Cloud in it, along with some other FF7 characters. I wonder if Sakurai took some inspiration from it when coming up with Cloud's moveset in Smash 4. IIRC some of Sonic's attacks are from Sonic the Fighters.

PK Gaming

Cloud better say "Let's mosey" in one of his winning poses.

Anyway, I'm thinking there are going to be two more characters left shown in the special presentation, plus one or two returning stages and some Mii costumes and that will be it for Smash DLC. A little over one solid year of DLC support consisting of seven characters and seven+ stages is more than impressive.

A quote like that would be stellar, but I hope they stick to his Japanese VA actually. I really cannot stand his English voice

vH35tzp.jpg

It's another fighting game that, of course, has Cloud in it, along with some other FF7 characters. I wonder if Sakurai took some inspiration from it when coming up with Cloud's moveset in Smash 4. IIRC some of Sonic's attacks from Sonic the Fighters.

Not likely, because Cloud mostly punches/uses wrestling moves in that game

His moveset is mostly made up of attacks he used in FF7 / Dissidia

Drago

Thinking about Banjo some more.

Rare Replay came out this year. This isn't too important, or maybe even nothing, but they may have needed Nintendo to sign off on Banjo Kazooie/Tooie. At least to ensure all references to Nintendo were removed.
Doubtful. That stuff was dealt with back in 08/09 when the 360 remakes were made, Rare Replay is just a rerelease of those with nothing new added or changed.

They definitely had to have made a deal over DK64 on VC though.

People read too much into the Brawl thing haha, that theme is a track on Smash 4 Final Destination so I do not think the use of it was any more than just 'hey guys use dramatic music from the game to promote the next announcement'

NotLiquid

Yeah I don't think the Brawl theme means anything special. It's just an incredibly epic theme to signal what is now slated to be the inevitable close.

Boss Doggie

vH35tzp.jpg

It's another fighting game that, of course, has Cloud in it, along with some other FF7 characters. I wonder if Sakurai took some inspiration from it when coming up with Cloud's moveset in Smash 4. IIRC some of Sonic's attacks are from Sonic the Fighters.

For clarification though, Ehrgeiz didn't have FFVII characters at first. In the arcades they weren't there. In the PSX port they were added though, along with a dungeon crawler single player mode.

But those 2 descriptions apply to cloud...for me anyway.
But Final Fantasy VII is a classic...
Well yeah, I was talking about nintendo reps :p

For clarification though, Ehrgeiz didn't have FFVII characters at first. In the arcades they weren't there. In the PSX port they were added though, along with a dungeon crawler single player mode.

Wikipedia tells me that Cloud and Tifa were playable in the arcade version while the PSX version they added Sephiroth, Yuffie, Vincent Valentine, Red XIII, and Zack Fair.

NotLiquid

Man after rewatching Maximilian's reaction video to Cloud it makes me realize it feels so fucking nice to have a legitimate surprise reaction to something again.

It made me so mad back when Ryu leaked. He easily had one of the coolest trailers out of all the newcomers. That homage to Street Fighter 2 is just so perfect and you can even go to that recent GAF thread on hypest fighting game intros to see how many people praised SF2's arcade intro. Can you just imagine if we wouldn't have had him leaked at all how crazy people would have been once those first few seconds start?

Well we didn't get it with Ryu, but at least we got it with Cloud. Looked back through that Direct thread and my god that entire minute was insane.

Boss Doggie

Oh, we're reaching 200. Almost.

Wikipedia tells me that Cloud and Tifa were playable in the arcade version while the PSX version they added Sephiroth, Yuffie, Vincent Valentine, Red XIII, and Zack Fair.

They were? I probably missed the two. Also Red XIII wasn't there as far as I know. There was a boss named Django though who looks suspiciously like Red XIII.

Ryce

This has nothing to do with Cloud, but I didn't realize Mega Man and the gear symbol were so closely linked in Japan. The series emblem makes a lot more sense now.

F3M74MD.png

NeonZ

I seriously doubt the Brawl theme was played there for kicks. A veteran from Brawl is all but confirmed for the broadcast.

The first thing I thought while hearing that theme was maybe an Adventure mode DLC. Something like a new mode would fit in with a large presentation about Smash at this point. They already have many enemy assets from Smash Run and could reuse model assets and textures for the stages from the actual multiplayer stages.

Although thinking about it now, it seems unlikely...

The first thing I thought while hearing that theme was maybe an Adventure mode DLC. Something like a new mode would fit in with a large presentation about Smash at this point. They already have many enemy assets from Smash Run and could reuse model assets and textures for the stages from the actual multiplayer stages.

I would love an adventure mode more than new fighters to be honest

kirby_fox

Banned

After rewatching the E3 Smash direct, not really all that much was announced in it. They talked about Roy, then amiibo coming out, stages, tourney mode, and then detailed Ryu for a good 8 minutes of the 18 minute direct.

Don't expect more than that really.

After rewatching the E3 Smash direct, not really all that much was announced in it. They talked about Roy, then amiibo coming out, stages, tourney mode, and then detailed Ryu for a good 8 minutes of the 18 minute direct.

Don't expect more than that really.
I can't remember now but was Lucas also made available with these two at the same time? I ask because he's not in that direct yet he's often considered part of the 'trio'.
If that's the 'pattern' (because we know how well those work) then we could expect 2 more + cloud as a new 'trio' but then again Sakurai is talking about a challenging task and while some talk about ice climbers or Ridley I see it as also potentially being "you asked for a lot of characters and we're going to make a lot of characters" because it was tied to talk of scheduling they'll unveil in december :p

kirby_fox

Banned
I can't remember now but was Lucas also made available with these two at the same time? I ask because he's not in that direct yet he's often considered part of the 'trio'.
If that's the 'pattern' (because we know how well those work) then we could expect 2 more + cloud as a new 'trio' but then again Sakurai is talking about a challenging task and while some talk about ice climbers or Ridley I see it as also potentially being "you asked for a lot of characters and we're going to make a lot of characters" because it was tied to talk of scheduling they'll unveil in december :p

Lucas was initially scheduled to release that day already. We knew he was coming way before that day, and way before a Direct was coming. The Direct was right before (literally) he went live to announce Roy and Ryu were coming along with him.

Kind of the same situation with Cloud replacing Lucas but this time getting a Direct announced before having a solid date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom