• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked Man

I said wow
I can't remember now but was Lucas also made available with these two at the same time? I ask because he's not in that direct yet he's often considered part of the 'trio'.
If that's the 'pattern' (because we know how well those work) then we could expect 2 more + cloud as a new 'trio' but then again Sakurai is talking about a challenging task and while some talk about ice climbers or Ridley I see it as also potentially being "you asked for a lot of characters and we're going to make a lot of characters" because it was tied to talk of scheduling they'll unveil in december :p

Datamining shows we have three characters coming, which would suggest Cloud is the Lucas of a potential upcoming trio.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wolf, Snake and Cloud sound good but could be too good to be true.

Wasn't there also two slots for stages? Maybe one of those are Midgar and the other belongs to another new series?

I think they found 3 stages slots (6 actually but 3 omega, 3 stages) There is one between Duck Hunt and old DLC stage, and I strongly believe that it's Midgar's position.

LMAO. That was brilliant! :D

ffdgh

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what's coming next.

Sakurai teased Lucas for the June presentation. He's teasing Cloud for Decembers.

Something between wolf, snake, a first party newcomer, another 3rd party newcomer.....all 4.

Can't predict sakurai lol.

Now that we have Cloud as well as Ryu, is it fair to make a guess that Konami is the side to blame for not having Snake/Bomberman, as opposed to Sakurai?

Come on Konami.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder if getting a Digimon would also produce a form of hype.
No matter the character there will be detractors and supporters.

Though as I've said before Tamagotchi probably has more of a chance since it's the original, more popular and appeared in Nintendo titles before (Mario Kart). While complicated, the branching evolution system could also lead to an interesting gimmick, which is something the two new DLC fighters have in common.

Hatchtag

Banned
Now that we have Cloud as well as Ryu, is it fair to make a guess that Konami is the side to blame for not having Snake/Bomberman, as opposed to Sakurai?

Come on Konami.

yeah, i'd say it's totally fair game. I mean, yeah, MGSV wasn't coming out on a Nintendo system, but SFV and FFVIIR aren't either and even have exclusivity deals with Sony and yet Ryu and Cloud got in.

Ryu/Cloud being the only newcomers as DLC makes me think that any remaining newcomers have to be about that caliber. Isaac/Ray? Not happening. Has to be a huge one.

Ryu/Cloud being the only newcomers as DLC makes me think that any remaining newcomers have to be about that caliber. Isaac/Ray? Not happening. Has to be a huge one.
Sakurai is going to open up the December broadcast with a trailer for some Dragon Quest character, giving Snash the perfect representation for both Square and Enix, and two of the largest RPG series of all time. Japan will have a meltdown.

After that, he'll show off Ridley. GAF servers die. Western boards will shut down one-by-one.

At the end, before Sakurai rides off into the sunset, we get one last surprise... "Kept you waiting, huh?"

batfax

Yeah, this actually brings about what could be a pretty fun exercise. What (Japan-made) games/characters helped define/are the face of their respective genre?

Open World: Shenmue/Ryo Hazuki
Indie: Cave Story/Quote
Online Console Game: Phantasy Star Online/Rico? Flowen? One of the classes?
Puzzle: Professor Layton? Puyo Puyo/Arle?
Simulation: Probably something Koei. Not knowing much, I'll throw Nobunaga out there. His ambition's been going on since '83.
Survival Horror: Silent Hill Resident Evil/Chris, Jill, or probably most likely, Leon

... and that's all I got. Most genres it's hard to think specifically of a Japanese game that helped define them, and in other cases it's hard to think of one that isn't already in the game in some way.

Yeah, this actually brings about what could be a pretty fun exercise. What (Japan-made) games/characters helped define/are the face of their respective genre?

Open World: Shenmue/Ryo Hazuki
Indie: Cave Story/Quote
Online Console Game: Phantasy Star Online/Rico? Flowen? One of the classes?
Puzzle: Professor Layton? Puyo Puyo/Arle?
Simulation: Probably something Koei. Not knowing much, I'll throw Nobunaga out there. His ambition's been going on since '83.
Survival Horror: Silent Hill Resident Evil/Chris, Jill, or probably most likely, Leon

... and that's all I got. Most genres it's hard to think specifically of a Japanese game that helped define them, and in other cases it's hard to think of one that isn't already in the game in some way.
You have no idea how happy I'd be to have FOnewearl playable :p

As for extras to that list?
Arcade: Bub & Bob
Beatemup: Double Dragon or Final Fight (aka Haggar)
bullet hell/2d shooter?: Touhou?
Rhythm: Parrappa, Miku, Ouenden?

woopWOOP

A Phantasy Star character or Bub & Bob would be amazing. Especially the latter, but I guess it would be just Bub because... you know... 3DS parity.

Got to talk with my brother, the huge PS1 Final Fantasy fan of the family, about the Cloud trailer (which he didn't see yet tho). He really likes the character and already wants to make him his main, but funnily enough his first reaction was 'What is he doing in Smash? He's never been on Nintendo before. They're ruining the franchise!' Never figured he'd be one to care about the integrity of Smash, ha.

Sakurai is going to open up the December broadcast with a trailer for some Dragon Quest character, giving Snash the perfect representation for both Square and Enix, and two of the largest RPG series of all time. Japan will have a meltdown.

tbh, I could actually see this happening. Dragon Quest has a more consistent history on Nintendo consoles. And is mostly just as important as Final Fantasy.

tbh, I could actually see this happening. Dragon Quest has a more consistent history on Nintendo consoles. And is mostly just as important as Final Fantasy.
Same here. If Capcom can have both Megaman and Ryu, two characters that not only co-represent Capcom and are distinctally important to Nintendo's history, I cannot see how the two series, pillars of a joint-company, would be any different. With Dragone Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII being localized next year (possibly by Nintendo), now would be a good time for exposure.

Only problem is if Sakurai would find a character worthy? Slime would make sense as a Pikachu "mascot"-type character, but there is going to be some technical challenges and creativity involved. The other possibility is having a generic Hero character with each color being one of the different protagonists from every Dragon Quest title ALA Bowser Jr.

Ryce

The problem with Dragon Quest is that it isn't iconic outside of Japan. "Slime" and "Erdrick" don't ring any bells with the mainstream gaming consciousness in the West. It might be a coincidence, but all of the guest characters so far are incredibly popular outside of Japan.

kirby_fox

Banned
Is Dragon Quest going to have a lot of people wanting a character though? Cloud has been wanted by lots of people for a long time. There was a silent majority there for him, because the vocal fans would shoot him down faster than Ridley.

Really makes me think the others are probably huge and also unexpected. The mii costumes are really all we're getting for some characters too...No inklings or K rool. Probably getting Isaac and wonder red as costumes.

The problem with Dragon Quest is that it isn't iconic outside of Japan. "Slime" and "Erdrick" don't ring any bells with the mainstream gaming consciousness in the West. It might be a coincidence, but all of the guest characters so far are incredibly popular outside of Japan.
There's been enough fans in the West to successfully petition for over a year to get DQVII 3DS brought overseas. I'm not going to say it's the largest group, but it has been enough.

Clov

As awesome as it is to have Cloud in Smash, I'm honestly hoping for the remaining DLC characters to be first party. There's still lots of Nintendo characters I want in the game! I mean, they're the reason I play Smash in the first place.

NotLiquid

As awesome as it is to have Cloud in Smash, I'm honestly hoping for the remaining DLC characters to be first party. There's still lots of Nintendo characters I want in the game! I mean, they're the reason I play Smash in the first place.

Same. I can kind of deal if they choose to bring Snake back and if that happens I think the third party inclusions will reach a balanced quota. But I feel like the lack of any newcomer DLC on the first party front is a real waste here.

In fact, even though I was okay with having Shovel Knight before, the inclusion of Cloud makes me not want Shovel Knight anymore. I feel like any more beyond the mindbender that was Cloud might wear out the novelty of them.

I don't know, I just don't think there's that many worthy Nintendo series left at the moment. It basically all boils down to Splatoon and Rhythm Heaven in my eyes.

Stuff like Sin & Punishment, Wonderful 101, Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Starfy, etc just all seem small time to me. They're kinda the reason stuff like assist trophies and regular trophies exist.

Really makes me think the others are probably huge and also unexpected. The mii costumes are really all we're getting for some characters too...No inklings or K rool. Probably getting Isaac and wonder red as costumes.

The more time goes on, the more I think this is right. DLC is expensive and time consuming, and they need big 3rd party names to foot the bill now. While I was one of those people who didn't think Mii costumes were a direct deconfirm, the whole "consolation prize" angle is getting more and more obvious. Especially for a character like Inkling, whose mechanics are probably way too complex to implement this late into development.

(Which is sad because this is coming from someone whose most wanted characters are all z-grade nintendo characters like Ashley, Lip, Ayumi Tachibana, etc.)

NotLiquid

I don't know, I just don't think there's that many worthy Nintendo series left at the moment. It basically all boils down to Splatoon and Rhythm Heaven in my eyes.

Stuff like Sin & Punishment, Wonderful 101, Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Starfy, etc just all seem small time to me. They're kinda the reason stuff like assist trophies and regular trophies exist.

Fittingly enough, we don't really have that many newcomer DLC characters left to anticipate, so as far as I'm concerned we're likely looking at either a Rhythm Heaven Rep (based on their intended inclusion), K. Rool (based on fan support) or Inkling (based on Nintendo's new breakout hit that is massive with kids) to round things out.

I get the sense that Smash 4's entire roster of newcomers managed to get by just by the skin of it's teeth in terms of a new entry justification. I'm mindful of whether we'll even get a Smash 5 with how massive the roster has become now and how it's covered almost every base. Once we get a sequel we'll likely be scraping the barrel unless we get new people in the fold for each of the respective Nintendo series in general.

It's best to allow at least one new character on the first party front who's paid their dues because they alone can't be a lynch pin for a future entry.

The more time goes on, the more I think this is right. DLC is expensive and time consuming, and they need big 3rd party names to foot the bill now. While I was one of those people who didn't think Mii costumes were a direct deconfirm, the whole "consolation prize" angle is getting more and more obvious. Especially for a character like Inkling, whose mechanics are probably way too complex to implement this late into development.

In a way I can kind of get that but in another I feel like Splatoon has just kind of ballooned way passed what Nintendo anticipated that "consolation prize" might not be enough in Nintendo's eyes. I still wouldn't be surprised if one month into Splatoon's launch and after seeing how huge it is, Nintendo didn't instantly bill Sakurai's team to develop the character while the property is still hot since they can't guarantee a potential Smash 5 to cover what turned out to be an iconic new score for them.

(Which is sad because this is coming from someone whose most wanted characters are all z-grade nintendo characters like Ashley, Lip, Ayumi Tachibana, etc.)
I kind of agree with Heath's theory about third party characters probably being the easiest in the sense that companies benefit from the promotion and the percentage they make off DLC sales, and the fans get the benefit of having big, historical series crossover into the Super Smash Bros universe.

Ryce

I think Heath was right when he said that we would only be getting veterans and third-party newcomers. As much as I'd like to see Inkling, Chorus Kids, and Dixie Kong, the focus on third-party newcomers really accentuates the fact that there just aren't any A-list Nintendo characters left. It's telling that the most vocally requested Nintendo newcomer is a boss character from the '90s.

With that said, Inkling's absence probably stings the most given how noteworthy Splatoon has become.

I think Heath was right when he said that we would only be getting veterans and third-party newcomers. As much as I'd like to see Inkling, Chorus Kids, and Dixie Kong, the focus on third-party newcomers really accentuates the fact that there just aren't any A-list Nintendo characters left. It's telling that the most vocally requested Nintendo newcomer is a boss character from the '90s.

With that said, Inkling's absence probably stings the most given how noteworthy Splatoon has become.

I'm not so sure Inkling won't be an exception though. The series has become so massive so quickly that it's hard for me to see a character NOT coming outside of technical challenges, but we'll have to wait and see.

In the end though, I think we'll get Wolf back, Solid Snake is up in the air, and I'd really enjoy seeing a Dragon Quest character and surprise Ice Climber return. If any or all of those occur I think it would be a nice swansong for the Super Smash Bros series for Sakurai.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What about idolm@ster

No one wants to be seen even accepting that possibility, y'know despite factors like the latest mobile game (which only features a spinoff cast and not even the core group) getting over four million downloads in a week.

Also why do people still see the Inkling Mii costumes as anything more than promotional material. May I remind you they are the only costumes to come with a trophy and announced in a game specific direct. They have nothing to do with the ballot or "consolation".

NotLiquid

I kind of agree with Heath's theory about third party characters probably being the easiest in the sense that companies benefit from the promotion and the percentage they make off DLC sales, and the fans get the benefit of having big, historical series crossover into the Super Smash Bros universe.

Makes a lot of sense in retrospect really, and incidentally I'd argue that it kind of sticks an even bigger fork into Shovel Knight's chances since Yacht probably do not have that kind of money to cover Nintendo's dev costs, nor do I think Nintendo will want to spend that money on him.

After giving it some thought I'm pretty certain that the only chance left at a first party newcomer is Inklings. In spite of K. Rool's fan support, I don't think Nintendo will want to cover that kind of cost for someone who isn't likely to make many waves with a general audience.

Cloud
Wolf/Snake
Inklings

Is my purely optimistic guess at this point.

It's kinda weird to think that we had 5 DLC characters so far, 4 of them already launched, and none were first party newcomers. I wonder if there is a reason to that. The only I could think of is Sakurai possibly trying to conserve first party newcomers for future installments of the franchise.

Chronoman

Banned
It's kinda weird to think that we had 5 DLC characters so far, 4 of them already launched, and none were first party newcomers. I wonder if there is a reason to that. The only I could think of is Sakurai possibly trying to conserve first party newcomers for future installments of the franchise.

I think it is just random up until now. Like I said. If the ballot has even a shred of legitness, K Rool, Inkling, Isaac will have to come at some point. One of them.

TDLink

Isaac has 0% chance after Cloud. They could make him more varied with psynergy, but Sakurai is not going to put another blonde haired anime swordsman in the game after Cloud. It's just...not going to happen.

Maybe in the NX version when there's been some space, but we will now have had two swordsmen as DLC (on top of the bunch in the game already). And they certainly won't release Isaac in the very same patch as Cloud. It just won't happen.

And I love Golden Sun and I would love to see a representative in the game...but I just don't see him happening here.

I think Inkling is pretty likely though in terms of first party newcomers, as are several other first party characters that potentially could come from the ballot.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If the ballot is even half way legit. We will get a new first party character.

Inkling, Isaac, K rool are all super high up

No one knows the results of the ballot or even how the winner will be chosen.

Ryu and Cloud both introduce a new gameplay mechanic with their movesets. For all we know that's what Sakurai is interested in and will pick a character where he can see that possibility even if they are say only the 15th most popular.

The other day Cloud was never even considered as a possible newcomer in any discussion and yet here we are.

Ahnez

Its almost silly to read the pre-release threads again

Every single "rule" were proven false

Surviving the next smash pre-release will be tough lol

Chronoman

Banned
No one knows the results of the ballot or even how the winner will be chosen.

Ryu and Cloud both introduce a new gameplay mechanic with their movesets. For all we know that's what Sakurai is interested in and will pick a character where he can see that possibility even if they are say only the 15th most popular.

The other day Cloud was never even considered as a possible newcomer in any discussion and yet here we are.

MANY people were predicting a Square rep, including Cloud. We have a general idea. Inkling is almost guarenteed for December

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

The question is, come the run up to the next Smash will we remember this or be doomed to repeat the same mistakes?

Chronoman

Banned

Third party characters have been VERY consistent.

Iconic
Biggest most recognizable character from a Japanese third party.

Nothing has been odd

Ryce

Third party characters have been VERY consistent.

Iconic
Biggest most recognizable character from a Japanese third party.

Nothing has been odd
Yeah, I feel like a broken record having to repeat this so many times, but Cloud didn't break any of the "rules." He was just unexpected.

Awhile back we found out from that crazy NOA dude that David Hayter was a pain to get for the voice of Snake, due to union stuff.

I wonder if that, combined with Konami being poops, is what's causing issues with Snake.

I wonder how union voice acting contracts work with re-used audio, since I'm positive Snake would just use his Brawl lines.

Edit: I was looking at the CSS this morning, and 2 more characters on top of Cloud means the CSS is going to look really awful. Not like usual, just, it would be a weird triangle shape, one of the rows would need to have one more character than the other rows. There's 2 spots left, and after that, adding another column adds 4 more spaces. If only one of those four spaces is filled, the CSS ends up losing some of its symmetry. If we get four characters, the CSS would just look like it does now, but with slightly smaller icons. I like the general shape of the CSS we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom