• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronoman

Banned
Ryu
Mega Man
Pac Man
Sonic
Cloud

MAYBE, Layton for Level 5, or somebody for Atlus and we should be done with third party.

We are just about to hit the limit for me

Ryce

Awhile back we found out from that crazy NOA dude that David Hayter was a pain to get for the voice of Snake, due to union stuff.

I wonder if that, combined with Konami being poops, is what's causing issues with Snake.

I wonder how union voice acting contracts work with re-used audio, since I'm positive Snake would just use his Brawl lines.
The availability of an American voice actor is completely irrelevant to Sakurai, so I doubt that kept Snake out of the game. If Sakurai wanted Snake in the game but NoA couldn't get Hayter, then NoA would just have to find a new voice actor or use the Japanese lines. It's not Sakurai's concern.

Ahnez

By rule, I was refering to arguments that fit the following pattern:

[Character] will [negative expression] be [Smash related] because [rule]

"Shulk won't be playable because he is an one-off from an obscure jrpg"

"Ryu will never be in because Sakurai said no fighting game characters"

Patterns for DLC are expected, they cost money to make, so they must sell

The availability of an American voice actor is completely irrelevant to Sakurai, so I doubt that kept Snake out of the game. If Sakurai wanted Snake in the game but NoA couldn't get Hayter, then NoA would just have to find a new voice actor or use the Japanese lines. It's not Sakurai's concern.

I really, really doubt that. Like, seriously. Smash's largest market is the US.

Ryce

I really, really doubt that. Like, seriously. Smash's largest market is the US.
But Sakurai is the only person in charge of the roster, and Hayter's voice doesn't appear in the Japanese version of the game. Sakurai doesn't have anything to do with localization. I'm almost positive Konami is responsible for Snake's absence.

i try not to get my hopes up for any characters and just stick to pipe dreams
outside of when a rhythm heaven character showed up in the gematsu leak lol
but god. after cloud, i'm really hankering for a castlevania character lol

i think that there's no way they'd go for a CV character before they bring snake back (which i'm fine with, i really want snake back), i just don't know if CV is big enough to fall under consideration as well. i think it sorta occupies a position similar to mega man, it's a series that kinda petered out a bit over time but was quite an icon for the NES (at least, in NA. i don't know if it was in japan) and is still a decent sized part of "gaming culture". still, the fact that it's probably a couple rungs below mega man and there's another konami character who would probably come first has me pessimistic, but it still feels possible enough that i can't shake wanting it, lol.

i'm just really hoping konami is willing to play ball in general at this point, lol. i think they will and we'll get snake at the very least but... i'm proceeding with caution!

But Sakurai is the only person in charge of the roster, and Hayter's voice doesn't appear in the Japanese version of the game. He doesn't have anything to do with localization.

But certainly he must consider how accurate a character will be outside of Japan. That's where the majority of Smash players are.

Especially since we know they went out of their way to ensure Hayter was in Brawl.

Ryce

But certainly he must consider how accurate a character will be outside of Japan. That's where the majority of Smash players are.

Especially since we know they went out of their way to ensure Hayter was in Brawl.
Snake was the biggest surprise in Brawl (the highlight of the debut trailer), and it's something Sakurai had considered since Kojima begged him in 2001. I doubt his inclusion in Brawl hinged on whether or not NoA could secure a specific voice actor. Hayter's voice wasn't even in the original Brawl trailer, and people still freaked the fuck out.

TDLink

Awhile back we found out from that crazy NOA dude that David Hayter was a pain to get for the voice of Snake, due to union stuff.

I wonder if that, combined with Konami being poops, is what's causing issues with Snake.

I wonder how union voice acting contracts work with re-used audio, since I'm positive Snake would just use his Brawl lines.

Edit: I was looking at the CSS this morning, and 2 more characters on top of Cloud means the CSS is going to look really awful. Not like usual, just, it would be a weird triangle shape, one of the rows would need to have one more character than the other rows. There's 2 spots left, and after that, adding another column adds 4 more spaces. If only one of those four spaces is filled, the CSS ends up losing some of its symmetry. If we get four characters, the CSS would just look like it does now, but with slightly smaller icons. I like the general shape of the CSS we have now.

I thought we were past the point where the CSS had anything at all to do with how many characters we're getting. Looking at it to determine anything is meaningless. The CSS is adaptable, and it will adapt. There's no way we're only getting 2 more characters including Cloud. No way at all. So guess what, the CSS will "look really awful"....or they'll just change it so it looks fine. Or they'll release 4 instead of 3 and it will look close to how it has in the past. Why can't they eventually release 6 more characters?

CSS Speculation is pointless in regards.

I thought we were past the point where the CSS had anything at all to do with how many characters we're getting. Looking at it to determine anything is meaningless. The CSS is adaptable, and it will adapt. There's no way we're only getting 2 more characters including Cloud. No way at all. So guess what, the CSS will "look really awful"....or they'll just change it so it looks fine. Or they'll release 4 instead of 3 and it will look close to how it has in the past. Why can't they eventually release 6 more characters?

CSS Speculation is pointless in regards.

I never said anything about the CSS restricting the number of characters. I also said three characters, two more in addition to Cloud.

I was just saying the CSS is going to look the worst it's ever going to be, and sadly, that will happen at the end of DLC. If we end with three more characters, the CSS is going to forever have one lopsided row.

Snake was the biggest surprise in Brawl (the highlight of the debut trailer), and it's something Sakurai had considered since Kojima begged him in 2001. I doubt his inclusion in Brawl hinged on whether or not NoA could secure a specific voice actor. Hayter's voice wasn't even in the original Brawl trailer, and people still freaked the fuck out.

If Konami requires that Snake be voiced by a specific actor and Nintendo can't get that actor, that's when the contract negotiations stall. If Konami isn't comfortable with a sound alike, not much Nintendo can do.

Crayolan

Its almost silly to read the pre-release threads again

Every single "rule" were proven false

Surviving the next smash pre-release will be tough lol

People make up rules based on precendent because that's the only way we have to make predictions which aren't completely random.

It's pretty clear character roster speculation discussion won't stop, and so "rules" won't stop being made either.

TDLink

I never said anything about the CSS restricting the number of characters. I also said three characters, two more in addition to Cloud.

I was just saying the CSS is going to look the worst it's ever going to be, and sadly, that will happen at the end of DLC. If we end with three more characters, the CSS is going to forever have one lopsided row.

If Konami requires that Snake be voiced by a specific actor and Nintendo can't get that actor, that's when the contract negotiations stall. If Konami isn't comfortable with a sound alike, not much Nintendo can do.

You're making a ton of assumptions. They never said this would be the last batch of DLC. A press release said this would be the last smash focused broadcast. It does not mean DLC is going to end after this. Even if it did, we don't know the exact number of characters, although I still suspect it is 4 since we already got 4. If there are 4 characters then the CSS still looks fine. Even if the CSS doesn't look fine, it's not a big deal ultimately. If it does end up being the last batch of DLC (which isn't confirmed anywhere) then there's a decent chance Sakurai will change up the character select anyways. Keep in mind that no matter what the 3DS CSS is going to change and look weird with even 1 more addition, so it really doesn't matter.

And in regards to the Snake situation you are completely off base. Getting Hayter back doesn't matter at all. They recasted Palutena because they couldn't get her Uprising actress. They could do it with Snake too. Plus Snake isn't even voiced by Hayter in the most recent game from that franchise. Additionally, the reveal trailer for Snake back in Brawl didn't even use English VA. It was just his Japanese voice. David Hayter is definitely not the reason Snake is not currently in the game. And he won't stop him from being in the game.

Ryce

Fortunately, there's no evidence to suggest any of that. David Hayter is just a voice actor, not an untouchable god. He was replaced in MGSV, and he could certainly be replaced again if necessary.

Masked Man

I said wow
The CSS as it stands is a disorganized mess. The same can be said of just about all of the menus in this game, haha.

If the three DLC characters we get in December are all non-first-party, I'm hoping for Cloud, Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright, and Banjo-Kazooie.

You're making a ton of assumptions. They never said this would be the last batch of DLC. A press release said this would be the last smash focused broadcast. It does not mean DLC is going to end after this. Even if it did, we don't know the exact number of characters, although I still suspect it is 4 since we already got 4. If there are 4 characters then the CSS still looks fine. Even if the CSS doesn't look fine, it's not a big deal ultimately. If it does end up being the last batch of DLC (which isn't confirmed anywhere) then there's a decent chance Sakurai will change up the character select anyways. Keep in mind that no matter what the 3DS CSS is going to change and look weird with even 1 more addition, so it really doesn't matter.

And in regards to the Snake situation you are completely off base. Getting Hayter back doesn't matter at all. They recasted Palutena because they couldn't get her Uprising actress. They could do it with Snake too. Plus Snake isn't even voiced by Hayter in the most recent game from that franchise. Additionally, the reveal trailer for Snake back in Brawl didn't even use English VA. It was just his Japanese voice. David Hayter is definitely not the reason Snake is not currently in the game. And he won't stop him from being in the game.

You're equating me talking about disappointment if we only end up filling the three renaming slots in the files with me making a hardline assumption that we're only getting three characters no ifs ands or buts about it.

I'm not sure why you're taking "if we only get three characters, it's going to suck to look at the CSS grumble grumble" as some kind of prediction or statement of what we're getting lol

Ahnez

Every DLC character is put on the lower right corner, right?

This means it doesn't matter the combination you have, but how many

Maybe they have everything planned to fit exactly once every DLC is released
Yeah, no

NotLiquid

At this point rules aren't the issue, even though all the third party characters we've gotten so far still fall into very specific parameters. The only thing different between Cloud and everyone else is that he originated from a game that doesn't exist on a Nintendo console, but by all accounts he has just as much "credit" to his name, if not more so than Snake is.

No at this point the bigger issue is feasibility. It's a matter of making every remaining inclusion count, be it third party or first party, and approach it from a realistic angle. To that end I believe we'd be lucky to see another newcomer thanks to development times (although it's equally fair to imagine that we'll probably get one when factoring development times as rebuilding Mewtwo/Roy + developing Ryu was a pretty large feat).

That's why I'm still very dubious about Snake because ballad brings up a pretty good point, Snake's VA is stuck in a bit of an awkward limbo to return. Not only that but Konami is a bit harder to have to deal with as of right now. Kojima "gave permission" to Sakurai to use him but that was back when he still had autonomy in the company, which at this point makes me think that if Snake was planned as potential DLC, they've basically wasted their only chance.

So really; what other third party character would be worth the additional hassle? And if they don't exist, what first party character would Nintendo feel worth developing into the game? Honestly at this point it's almost fair to assume that we're only getting Wolf.

Fortunately, there's no evidence to suggest any of that. David Hayter is just a voice actor, not an untouchable god. He was replaced in MGSV, and he could certainly be replaced again if necessary.

Hayter was replaced with a very specific intent though and Sutherland seems like an inclusion that ultimately did not pay off.

TDLink

I think we get 3 characters during the december Smash Direct, like E3.

I think he announces 3 more for early 2016, and then that is it

This is a possibility too. I honestly do think the last DLC is going to be in the spring, not now. They can announce those characters on other directs (not smash-focused streams), or they can announce them all now..in advance (though I find that unlikely). Keeping DLC streaming out for the game is important for Nintendo, especially with a light release schedule in the spring.

Then the "ultimate" version can come out with the NX in the fall with another handful of characters as incentives to buy...and then that will be it. That's what I think.

Chronoman

Banned
They only said the last Smash direct/event. Which means they will lay everything out for us. That is all it means. December is not the end of DLC.

Chronoman

Banned
This is a possibility too. I honestly do think the last DLC is going to be in the spring, not now. They can announce those characters on other directs (not smash-focused streams), or they can announce them all now..in advance (though I find that unlikely). Keeping DLC streaming out for the game is important for Nintendo, especially with a light release schedule in the spring.

Then the "ultimate" version can come out with the NX in the fall with another handful of characters as incentives to buy...and then that will be it. That's what I think.

I think there is almost a 0 percent chance of an NX version of this game.

NotLiquid

As an aside even if there is a chance that we'll be seeing DLC after the December event I think we should still exercise a lot of skepticism.

Smash's DLC crew is currently being helmed by a comparatively small team that can't stick together forever, and Sakurai said that they weren't planning to release many more characters. If the DLC plan ends up finishing in December it'd fit perfectly with the "year long" DLC plan that Nintendo has adopted on some of their other titles like Mario Kart 8.

It's absolutely possible that we'll see more DLC in 2016... but that's an optimistic guess, and I'd still not get my hopes up lest we set us up for disappointment. Realistically speaking, we're reaching the final destination.

TDLink

I think there is almost a 0 percent chance of an NX version of this game.

And why do you think that?

If NX launches next fall and the team is still currently together, it makes complete sense. Sakurai is not going to jump into developing another Smash. NX will need a Smash Bros. And this current one is only barely a year old (will be two years old by time NX is out). It makes no sense to replace it yet and is perfect for a "launch title".

Yukinari

I voted for K Rool and Chibi Robo, but i honestly think its foolish to rule out 3rd party choices. Especially if its someone like Banjo or Bomberman.

With Cloud in the game we can set higher expectations.

Chronoman

Banned
And why do you think that?

If NX launches next fall and the team is still currently together, it makes complete sense. Sakurai is not going to jump into developing another Smash. NX will need a Smash Bros. And this current one is only barely a year old (will be two years old by time NX is out). It makes no sense to replace it yet and is perfect for a "launch title".

Sakurai said the team will not be together much longer.

Chronoman

Banned
A "complete" edition for NX is not of the question honestly. Throw in the 3ds stages and ice climbers as a bonus.

Nintendo has never ported Smash games. I do not see them starting now. Nintendo does not really port a lot of games outside of Zelda.

We do not have a huge precedent for that.

Clov

Personally I'm not convinced by any "Sakurai says" arguments. Sakurai's said a lot of things, hasn't he? How many of those "rules" have been broken by this point? In the end, Sakurai will do whatever he wants; maybe he'll change his mind, and keep the small DLC team going for a while longer. Maybe he'll leave and Nintendo will continue making DLC without him, or even develop an NX version without him. Who knows? I'm not even particularly convinced that an NX version of Smash 4 will be made, but I think it's silly to be speaking with absolute certainty when it's Sakurai we're talking about here.

Nintendo has never ported Smash games. I do not see them starting now. Nintendo does not really port a lot of games outside of Zelda.

Nintendo's published plenty of ports! Just look at the GC version of Animal Crossing, GC version of Doshin the Giant, GBC version of DKC1 and the GBA versions of all three DKC games... there's plenty more if you keep looking. It's not outlandish at all to think that Smash could get a port. Personally the only reason I see an NX version not happening is because it makes too much sense, and Nintendo rarely makes any sense. :p

VC releases on Wii
VC releases on Wii U

Nintendo series ported onto these systems include:
Super Smash Bros., Mario + spin-offs, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Kirby, Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid, WarioWare, Wario Land, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Mother, Golden Sun, Punch-Out!!, Advance Wars, and many more.

Me, and many other hardcore Smash fans, 100% buy Nintendo systems for Smash. No Smash, no buy. Nintendo's move.

Chronoman

Banned
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Nintendo_3DS_(North_America)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_U_(North_America)

Nintendo series ported onto these systems include:
Mario + spin-offs, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid, WarioWare, Wario Land, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Mother, Golden Sun, Punch-Out!!, Advance Wars, and many more.

I meant enhance port, which is what everyone is suggesting for Smash on NX. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Chronoman

Banned
Me, and many other hardcore Smash fans, 100% buy Nintendo systems for Smash. No Smash, no buy. Nintendo's move.

Would I like it? Sure. But is it likely? No not really. I am putting my personal wants aside and looking at it critically, instead of our pie in the sky dreams lol

ffdgh

If i'm not mistaken, if sakurai didn't come back for brawl, nintendo considered porting melee to the wii.

We don't know exactly how the NX is going to work out. But I do not believe that Sakurai would still work on DLC character support for Smash 4 if the Wii U version was going to become obsolete already.

The longer Smash introduces DLC characters, and especially iconic ones such as Cloud, the more likely it is that Smash NX will become a third version of Smash 4, just with a bit of additional content, and all the DLC included, and possibly all modes and stages from 3DS and Wii U.

I also believe that Cloud's inclusion, even if he was picked from the ballot, is a strong indicator that Nintendo might have the FF7 remake on the NX, which Cloud also would heavily advertise. Wouldn't make sense to not have that name as an initial announcement ala Mega Man if Smash NX were 100% new.

Chronoman

Banned
We don't know exactly how the NX is going to work out. But I do not believe that Sakurai would still work on DLC character support for Smash 4 if the Wii U version was going to become obsolete already.

The longer Smash introduces DLC characters, and especially iconic ones such as Cloud, the more likely it is that Smash NX will become a third version of Smash 4, just with a bit of additional content, and all the DLC included, and possibly all modes and stages from 3DS and Wii U.

I also believe that Cloud's inclusion, even if he was picked from the ballot, is a strong indicator that Nintendo might have the FF7 remake on the NX, which Cloud also would heavily advertise. Wouldn't make sense to not have that name as an initial announcement ala Mega Man if Smash NX were 100% new.

Just because the NX is coming out, does not make Smash 4 obsolete. Look at EVO. PS3 games are still being played.

Chronoman

Banned
I think it is WAY too early to start thinking about the next Smash when we have this big direct coming in December with way more characters than just Cloud.

Clov

If there's an NX version, I think it would not only have exclusive modes/characters alongside the original DLC (pre-included), but exclusive DLC of its own. Makes too much money not to try that, I think.

I think Cloud would point to the new Dissidia coming to NX more than anything. The FFVII remake is pretty far out, after all. It also seems to have a timed exclusivity on PS4, making it even farther out for other consoles.

If there's an NX version, I think it would not only have exclusive modes/characters alongside the original DLC (pre-included), but exclusive DLC of its own. Makes too much money not to try that, I think.

Yeah. I completely agree. Smash DLC sells really well, and you already have the perfect platform to sell it. There's some things you can improve on in Smash 4 (e.g. the DLC characters getting custom moves), but I'm starting to doubt that the NX will get a new Smash Bros. at all, and the fact that we're still getting Smash Bros. DLC this late into the Wii U's lifespan is a heavy indicator for that.

I think Cloud would point to the new Dissidia coming to NX more than anything. The FFVII remake is pretty far out, after all. It also seems to have a timed exclusivity on PS4, making it even farther out for other consoles.

Maybe. And especially if FF7 remake is that far away, why have Cloud now as DLC instead of having him be the poster boy for the next installment of Smash, if you were making a brand new one?

Cloud certainly would've been as strong of an advertising tool as Mega Man, if not a lot more so. It makes absolutely no sense not to hold back Cloud as the "face" of Smash NX.

Chronoman

Banned
It's certainly not Cloud. Many people were like character from SNES Era, Black Mage, Chocobo, etc. No one ever being serious about Cloud being in Smash Bros. It was just fan service dream for all of us.

They did not predict Cloud, but they should have. He is Square's most iconic character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom