• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

Sakurai said the team will not be together much longer.

He said that like a year ago. And they're still together. The ballot just ended, they're going to produce some characters from that. Plus probably remaining vets either now or then. Plus more third party partnerships. Plus they can throw in stuff like Ice Climbers who couldn't work in the current version.

Even if they did disband the team soon, they can produce characters for the NX version before that happens and just hold it for release.

Yeah but never with Smash. 3 games out of? 300? not good odds lol

Just because they haven't done it before doesn't mean they can't do it now. 3 games isn't really enough data to form a true trend. This was the first smash on two separate platforms with different sets of content. As people have said, there are no "rules". It's dumb to think there are. They can totally do a port with some new content to the new system(s).

Chronoman

Banned
He said that like a year ago. And they're still together. The ballot just ended, they're going to produce some characters from that. Plus probably remaining vets either now or then. Plus more third party partnerships. Plus they can throw in stuff like Ice Climbers who couldn't work in the current version.

Even if they did disband the team soon, they can produce characters for the NX version before that happens and just hold it for release.

He said that only a few months ago in Famitsu. He said that right after Ryu/Roy/Lucas came out.

This is also when he said there are a "few" characters left.

NotLiquid

No, he said that five months ago after Ryu/Roy/Lucas released.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/0...in-the-battle-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-481/

TDLink

He said that only a few months ago in Famitsu. He said that right after Ryu/Roy/Lucas came out.

This is also when he said there are a "few" characters left.

Okay that was still 6 months ago. They still are together. They still are going to make ballot characters (which, honestly, whatever is releasing in December likely are not).

Ryce

Regarding a potential FFVII remake on NX, none of the previous guest characters were included to promote new games on Nintendo hardware, so I don't know why Cloud would be any different. He's here because he's the face of Final Fantasy and a surefire best-seller.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
As awesome as it is to have Cloud in Smash, I'm honestly hoping for the remaining DLC characters to be first party. There's still lots of Nintendo characters I want in the game! I mean, they're the reason I play Smash in the first place.

Well, there is only one nintendo character that could sell VERY well like Cloud and Ryu is pretty much Inkling since Splatoon is the hottest IP at the moment.

It's kinda weird to think that we had 5 DLC characters so far, 4 of them already launched, and none were first party newcomers. I wonder if there is a reason to that. The only I could think of is Sakurai possibly trying to conserve first party newcomers for future installments of the franchise.

I would like to think so. I think they are going to hold back some characters for next iteration. If we don't see Inkling as DLC then I would take that as good sign that Sakurai might come back for Smash Bros franchise.

Its almost silly to read the pre-release threads again

Every single "rule" were proven false

Surviving the next smash pre-release will be tough lol

I'm looking forward for next Smash Hype Train. :)

Chronoman

Banned
If I had to put together a "last DLC" list. Of things that are most realistic, even though I might not want even half these characters it would be

Wolf
Shovel Knight
Inkling
Cloud
K. Rool.
Rhythm Heaven

6 more.

NotLiquid

Okay that was still 6 months ago. They still are together. They still are going to make ballot characters (which, honestly, whatever is releasing in December likely are not).

I dunno. Think of it this way - development on ballot characters most likely started the moment they wrapped up work on the Summer characters as by that point they'd have two months of results from the ballot and needed something to work on. Most of the traffic from the ballot most likely came in during the very first few weeks and I honestly believe that the closing of it was only a formality. It was always only a suggestion box and I don't think anything groundbreaking near the end of it would actually change the outcome of what they settle on. They most likely studied the ballot very closely while it was panning out since going through every piece of it near the end of it would be a nightmare, and started work.

Cloud was most likely a really popular choice in terms of a third party character, at least in Japan, and one that would work out for them the best. For prosperity's sake let's assume then that we got two more characters on top of that - one first party newcomer and one veteran. That'd round out the "ballot influences" really smoothly. Most likely the veteran would also be the one they figure out last as that'd require less work from scratch.

I still think it's highly optimistic to assume that we'll be getting much beyond what we'll find out in December but we'll see. I feel like three more characters fits in well with what Sakurai has made mention of and whether you believe it is one thing, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much. It's similar to how everyone was dead set that there was more to the ESRB leak than what we got.

Chronoman

Banned
I dunno. Think of it this way - development on ballot characters most likely started the moment they wrapped up work on the Summer characters as by that point they'd have two months of results from the ballot and needed something to work on. Most of the traffic from the ballot most likely came in during the very first few weeks and I honestly believe that the closing of it was only a formality. It was always only a suggestion box and I don't think anything groundbreaking near the end of it would actually change the outcome of what they settle on. They most likely studied the ballot very closely while it was panning out since going through every piece of it near the end of it would be a nightmare, and started work.

Cloud was most likely a really popular choice in terms of a third party character, at least in Japan, and one that would work out for them the best. For prosperity's sake let's assume then that we got two more characters on top of that - one first party newcomer and one veteran. That'd round out the "ballot influences" really smoothly. Most likely the veteran would also be the one they figure out last as that'd require less work from scratch.

I still think it's highly optimistic to assume that we'll be getting much beyond what we'll find out in December but we'll see. I feel like three more characters fits in well with what Sakurai has made mention of and whether you believe it is one thing, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much. It's similar to how everyone was dead set that there was more to the ESRB leak than what we got.

EXACTLY

RomanceDawn

With NX around the corner and development of this game not even finished, whats the earliest Nintendo or Sakurai and his band of wizards would even begin a brand new Smash? How long would it take and when would it be released?

The leverage built from this game could last an entire extra generation I'd say. Have the NX versions combine the content of the 3DS and Wii U, throw in a few extra modes, characters and stages and then you'd have still have people flocking towards it.

There is no precedent, sure, but with all the factors surrounding this Smash's situation I don't see how it's unthinkable. The effort that has gone into this game is mind boggling, it almost looks to me like Sakurai is pulling out all the stops for one big break or just retiring from Smash all together(due to his arm and sanity).

Smash Bros NX

1 - Smash Wii U/3DS stages
2 - New Stages
3 - New online modes
4 - Ice Climbers/Squirtle/Ivysaur
5 - ALL DLC
6 - New music
7 - New Characters

Then if NX has social features built in that really work well with the games like an easier way to message, voice chat, etc the convenience of it alone will have the competitive guys ready to move on. We could live off that for a long time with the potential for an even bigger competitive community.

Supposing we did get every character from this game into the next, I hope we get new characters but mostly I hope a lot of older move sets get a major reworking like Bowser did.

Ryce

When Sakurai says there aren't many characters left, that development can't go on much longer, and that he wants to move on eventually, I believe him. He doesn't fuck around. Three characters in December as the final wave of DLC is in line with everything he's said so far. The base game released in late 2014, and the DLC will wrap up in late 2015. That's a year of post-release support, which is what Mario Kart 8 got. The "Smash DLC prints money, it'll be an indefinite service!" sentiment is way too optimistic for me.

TDLink

I am sure they started working on ballot characters before it closed, but they also left it open until October for a reason. I don't think it was a formality at all. Whatever Sakurai wants to say, there was always a batch of characters planned for this holiday regardless of the ballot. Cloud is obviously one of them. Sure he is popular but I don't believe he even actually came up as a common ballot suggestion because most people didn't even think he was eligible. Returning characters like Wolf or Snake are likely others that could show up which that ballot would not affect. A new popular character like the Inklings could fall under that too. It's very feasible that this batch of characters has little to nothing to do with the ballot (maybe one of them is) and then most of the produced "Ballot characters" will come in a future update.

With NX around the corner and development of this game not even finished, whats the earliest Nintendo or Sakurai and his band of wizards would even begin a brand new Smash? How long would it take and when would it be released?

The leverage built from this game could last an entire extra generation I'd say. Have the NX versions combine the content of the 3DS and Wii U, throw in a few extra modes, characters and stages and then you'd have still have people flocking towards it.

There is no precedent, sure, but with all the factors surrounding this Smash's situation I don't see how it's unthinkable. The effort that has gone into this game is mind boggling, it almost looks to me like Sakurai is pulling out all the stops for one big break or just retiring from Smash all together(due to his arm and sanity).

Smash Bros NX

1 - Smash Wii U/3DS stages
2 - New Stages
3 - New online modes
4 - Ice Climbers/Squirtle/Ivysaur
5 - ALL DLC
6 - New music
7 - New Characters

Then if NX has social features built in that really work well with the games like an easier way to message, voice chat, etc the convenience of it alone will have the competitive guys ready to move on. We could live off that for a long time with the potential for an even bigger competitive community.

Supposing we did get every character from this game into the next, I hope we get new characters but mostly I hope a lot of older move sets get a major reworking like Bowser did.
Yes, this is exactly my point.

I'm not sure what will happen with the series but what I do know is it's very unlikely they can top what we've received in this game content wise.

TDLink

When Sakurai says there aren't many characters left, that development can't go on much longer, and that he wants to move on eventually, I believe him. He doesn't fuck around. Three characters in December as the final wave of DLC is in line with everything he's said so far. The base game released in late 2014, and the DLC will wrap up in late 2015. That's a year of post-release support, which is what Mario Kart 8 got. The "Smash DLC prints money, it'll be an indefinite service!" sentiment is way too optimistic for me.

Clearly it's not indefinite, but if it is making more money than Nintendo expected it makes sense to continue it for at least a little while. If they do intend to port the game to NX as well (Which, again, I think is likely) then keeping the team together makes sense for that too.

We've seen time and time again Sakurai say he's tired or doesn't know how much longer he can go on and equally morose things. Yet somehow here he still is, making Smash content.

I think it is WAY too early to start thinking about the next Smash when we have this big direct coming in December with way more characters than just Cloud.
On the other hand, this is Sakurai. No way are these DLC characters all that is on his plate. He is too important. He undoubtedly has a side project.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Also I would like to add one more thing: I would like to think that they are going to use suggestions for next iteration as well. Sakurai already done that before so I wouldn't be surprised that he would keep those suggestions in his mind for next iteration.

Crayolan

Yea I'm expecting the december announcement will be the final announcement when it comes to smash DLC. They'll lay out all the remaining characters and extra content and their release windows then we won't hear anything else until the the launch dates approach.

Chronoman

Banned
Yea I'm expecting the december announcement will be the final announcement when it comes to smash DLC. They'll lay out all the remaining characters and extra content and their release windows we won't hear anything else until the the launch dates approach.

You got it

Regarding a potential FFVII remake on NX, none of the previous guest characters were included to promote new games on Nintendo hardware, so I don't know why Cloud would be any different. He's here because he's the face of Final Fantasy and a surefire best-seller.

Sonic in Brawl seems to have been. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics seemed to happen as part of the deal to get Sonic in Brawl.

Ahnez

I'm curious to see how much Cloud's Limit gimmick affects his gameplay

Looks like it affects Blade Beam, Climhazzard, Cross Slash and Finishing Touch

With it full, looks like Blade Beam becomes bigger and causes multiple hits, while Climhazzard goes higher. All of them becomes noticeable stronger.

We have not seen Finishing Touch being used without the full Limit bar, so I guess it replaces the Limit charge when its already full

Also I want to see Cloud Kirby

The sentiments that DLC will just continue for an extended period of time going forward seems more like you're convincing yourselves that it will because you don't want it to end. The developers and Sakurai have to be freed eventually, and one solid year is plenty of support for DLC.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Smash Bros NX could be a f2p (or not) platform which is built on the base of Smash Bros WiiU, with all 3DS content, DLC and future DLC available in the form of a "Smash Pass", or everything can be bough piecemeal. Could be good, could be terrible. The more I hear about the idea of Smash Bros as a platform, the more sense it makes to me.

Chronoman

Banned
I'm curious to see how much Cloud's Limit gimmick affects his gameplay

Looks like it affects Blade Beam, Climhazzard, Cross Slash and Finishing Touch

With it full, looks like Blade Beam becomes bigger and causes multiple hits, while Climhazzard goes higher. All of them becomes noticeable stronger.

We have not seen Finishing Touch being used without the full Limit bar, so I guess it replaces the Limit charge when its already full

Also I want to see Cloud Kirby

He looks real unique

Cloud being revealled gives me any more hope for a The Witch's House rep. Nintendo revelency doesn't matter! Mwahaha!

...ok I have a confession to make. As yall may know, I have wanted The Witch's House rep for years. I actually had a idea for SPOILERS:
Ellen in Viola's body and "The House" character (The House is the former Witch, read the book to see the full story, she's the faceless, not eyeless girl who helps you in the game) as a tag team with The House being your grab.)
I've wanted this character for awhile but only a couple months ago discovered that on the creator's website he says "if you do fan art, then no crossover fan art" so Smash dream is all dead.

Fuck.

I knew she had next to no chance but when I discovered that I really felt crushed. :/ (Of course fans do crossover fanart all the time with other RPG Maler Horror characters lol.)

Guess I'll get behind Madotsuki from Yume Nikki now. Game from 2004, the true first indie, not that Quote, big...niche fan base. And I dunno the creator's views on crossovers but atleast it feels like he's keeping the series alive in a small way since more manga is coming. Plus game is somewhat like EarthBound, Sakurai, be biased! I'll be happy with Sachiko, Ayumi, Aya, Aki, or Ib too. We need a RPG Maker Horror rep. (Well Yume Nikki isn't really horror but its always grouped in anywayz.)

I wonder how much it would cost to outright buy The Witch's House IP. Would anyone know? Its a free game with a paperback book for a series.

I got $24 left after getting fucked by the Badge Center. Just enough for four newcomers, but I won't have internet in December since we're moving. Will likely be ale to download off a hotspot maybe(?) but without online I wonder if I should just spend my money in the Black Friday sale and just wait to January since I mostly play For Glory. :/

Draxal

Inkings would be the only Nintendo character that would be really big. This also makes a Snake comeback much more likely.

Wish we would have 4 chars with them being.

Wolf
Snake
Inklings
Cloud.

Oh, no doubt.

I just wonder what the long-term plan is here. Who will want to buy Smash 5 if it doesn't have Cloud, Mega man, and Pac-man?
Honestly? I'm not even interested in a Smash 5. I'd rather them just re-release this game with updated graphics and reorganized menus, otherwise this is probably my last Smash game.

Ahnez

Oh, no doubt.

I just wonder what the long-term plan is here. Who will want to buy Smash 5 if it doesn't have Cloud, Mega man, and Pac-man?

What if Smash 5 is just an updated Smash 4, but the budget for this update is the same as if it was a brand new game

Honestly? I'm not even interested in a Smash 5. I'd rather them just re-release this game with updated graphics and reorganized menus, otherwise this is probably my last Smash game.

If this is Sakurai's departure from the series then you can count me in this boat. I'll reserve judgement of course, but I don't see myself loving Smash the same way with someone else behind it.

Then again, I don't think Smash needs a "reboot" at all. So as long as the next person keeps Sakurai's hard work as a foundation, I'll probably be on board.

It would just be ridiculous to take this legacy Sakurai has built and tear it down just for the sake of novelty (which is what taking the series back to a roster of ~20 would be).

MagnesD3

I'd like this game to just be a platform where characters are continuing to be added. Port smash 4 all it's dlc content to the nx into a ultimate package and make this a reality.
I don't want anyone to lose their character and I want older vet characters lost and popular newcomers to appear.

Chronoman

Banned
People really are dreaming. Smash games take 5+ years to do, they never port them and all of a sudden we are getting NX Ultimate smash next year? Come on.

Sponge

Banned
Smash 4 is not even a year old. Smash 5 might be 7 years away

All the more reason to port it if NX doesn't have backwards compatibility. Sakurai needs a break though. Problem is in this day and age, Nintendo needs Smash on their consoles. It's one of their biggest games.

What if Smash 5 is just an updated Smash 4, but the budget for this update is the same as if it was a brand new game

Now see, I wouldn't mind that. Iron Galaxy managed to keep updating Killer Instinct without Double Helix, and I think they've done a great job.

I don't know how Smash 5 is going to be built from the ground up without at least either:

- moderate characters being cut

OR

- no or few newcomers added

So yeah, I'll take a ported Smash 4 with extra content/modes/mechanics added from there forward. Plus, the less overwhelming workload would make Sakurai less burned out and less likely to walk away from the prospect. And it would give him a chance to take a more supervisory role.

Clov

People really are dreaming. Smash games take 5+ years to do, they never port them and all of a sudden we are getting NX Ultimate smash next year? Come on.

The same could have been said about Zelda during the start of the Gamecube days, and then we got Master Quest and Collector's Edition. There's a first for everything.

Not to mention who's to say this will happen next year? Could be in 2017, for all we know. Maybe you're right and this will never happen at all. Maybe you're wrong and this happens with (or without) Sakurai's involvement. Who knows! It's pretty silly to say "this will definitely never happen, ever" about a platform we know nothing about.

No one can love Smash like Sakurai is a myth

Like look at the entire gaming world of games with intricate loving attention to detail outside of Smash and then tell me that none of those developers could make amazing Smashes too

NeonZ

We just got the 3ds and Wii U games last year though. They aren't technically ports, but share a lot of game design anyway. Speaking about a precedent of no ports at this point is kind of odd.

Clov

We just got the 3ds and Wii U games last year though. They aren't technically ports, but share a lot of game design anyway. Speaking about a precedent of no ports at this point is kind of odd.

That's a good point; while they have their obvious differences, Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U are essentially trying to be two different versions of the same game. A third would not be outlandish at all.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The announcement of Cloud gives me more hope that Wonder-Red will someday appear.

Also, I still find it funny people think Goku is happening. He's not a video game character. Yes, there Dragon Ball video games, but he originated from a manga. Hell if you want to get really technical, he truly originated from a 16th century Chinese novel.

Chronoman

Banned
Square was getting a rep, Cloud was the obvious popular choice. That simple really.

Any third party character has to be the biggest character of the company, a Japanese third party.

Snake would fit, if well, Konami were not Konami.

Layton, and not much else,.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom