• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sorry, just been supporting him.
People told me he's impossible because "the game bombed"
Yet something else impossible happened.
The reasons Cloud was deemed impossible are the complete opposite to why Wonder Red is considered impossible.

I support niche characters too, just find the link between Cloud and Wonder Red very weak.

Clov

It would be completely outlandish.

Well, if we've gotten to the point of "No it's not!" "Yes it is!" then it may be time to stop. :p

Let's wait for the NX reveal. I'm sure after that, everyone can have a much more informed discussion about a potential NX version of Smash 4.

No one can love Smash like Sakurai is a myth

Like look at the entire gaming world of games with intricate loving attention to detail outside of Smash and then tell me that none of those developers could make amazing Smashes too

Okay yeah maybe some other developer will add K. Rool, but you probably overestimate someone else's ability to do what Sakurai does the way he does it.

I'm not saying a Smash with someone else in charge would be inherently bad, but it would be very different. Sakurai has a distinct developing style, as do most talented developers.

Sakurai has my implicit trust with Smash. He has proven his love and care for Nintendo's characters and is the caretaker of this important series. Someone else could do a fine job, but it's no guarantee. And even then it's a new era of Smash.

I don't think the series is in need of that kind of change right now. It's not stale, it's not in crisis. The only thing it does need is some more resources and maybe a Sakurai-picked assistant. Someone who can take some of the workload off of Sakurai. I think the fatigue is preventing him from taking some chances with game modes, specifically the failure of the SSE. If he had someone he could trust in a position to be his right hand, then he could not only do more with single player content (the only area I find Smash to be lacking significantly), but he could groom this person to be his successor.

Then again, this is all assuming he returns. Which I don't think he wants. I hope he does what's best for him and he's able to make other games in the future. He's probably my favorite single developer in the industry.

Chronoman

Banned
Well, if we've gotten to the point of "No it's not!" "Yes it is!" then it may be time to stop. :p

Let's wait for the NX reveal. I'm sure after that, everyone can have a much more informed discussion about a potential NX version of Smash 4.

People said the same thing about the first game coming to Gamecube, they said the same thing about melee coming to wii, they said the same thing about Brawl coming to Wii U. We have heard it all.

I am just a tad sick of it. We are all friends here.

Clov

People said the same thing about the first game coming to Gamecube, they said the same thing about melee coming to wii, they said the same thing about Brawl coming to Wii U. We have heard it all.

I don't remember any talk of such, personally. Asides from Melee coming to Wii, which Iwata had said they were considering if Sakurai wouldn't return. Well, we'll just see how this all turns out.

I think the point mostly is that Sakurai wants to be done with the seemengly endless cycle of him developing Smash, and also a roster of 50+ is very difficult to build from the ground up for the next entry. I'm very nervous about the first one. Sakurai is eager to stop doing this.

There's been enough fans in the West to successfully petition for over a year to get DQVII 3DS brought overseas. I'm not going to say it's the largest group, but it has been enough.
If it was popular in the west there probably wouldn't have been a need to petition to get a major game brought overseas in the first place.

Besides Slime and Akira's art style always being instantly recognizable to most younger people, I don't think outside of Japan DQ has nearly as much presence as every other 3rd party in Smash does. I'm not even a big FF fan and the minute the main melody started I knew it was building up to a FF rep.

I say this as someone who really wanted Rayman and is pretty sure he isn't happening anytime soon if his competition was fucking Ryu and Cloud. Thankfully while probably also not happening Banjo's a big enough deal for nostalgia reasons (sorta like Mega Man's) to be 'big' if he gets revealed next month. Like he won't, but with the way things are going him and Kazooie somehow showing up would top Cloud in just how wonderfuly fucking loopy this roster's getting.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
DQVIII was the first Dragon Quest game to be released in Europe. With a 2006 release the series has less than a ten year presence here.

kirby_fox

Banned
Smash NX isn't likely to happen guys. Nintendo doesn't like their series to feel like they're burning out. It's why you only get one every so often. If anything, we've had 3 Smash titles in the last year: 3DS, Wii U and the DLC. Plus I expect it to have BC with Wii U digitally anyways, so those who want to can buy it on NX still.

As for what's left, while I would love a blowout I'm realistically thinking it'll all be shown in December. He's been saying not too many characters and stages left, I don't know why we should be expecting a ton of content.

I'm not giving up on Dragon Quest just yet. If it happens I will be ecstatic. If it doesn't I have played the game up until now with the series being absent, so it really won't change anything. Not going to expect it, but I'll still carry some hope now that Square-Enix is in the mix. We'll see what happens in December.

Sponge

Banned
I'm not giving up on Dragon Quest just yet. If it happens I will be ecstatic. If it doesn't I have played the game up until now with the series being absent, so it really won't change anything. Not going to expect it, but I'll still carry some hope now that Square-Enix is in the mix. We'll see what happens in December.

I could definitely see some more Square Enix themed Mii costumes happening. A Slime Mii hat totally makes sense.

Smash NX isn't likely to happen guys. Nintendo doesn't like their series to feel like they're burning out. It's why you only get one every so often. If anything, we've had 3 Smash titles in the last year: 3DS, Wii U and the DLC. Plus I expect it to have BC with Wii U digitally anyways, so those who want to can buy it on NX still.

As for what's left, while I would love a blowout I'm realistically thinking it'll all be shown in December. He's been saying not too many characters and stages left, I don't know why we should be expecting a ton of content.
New Super Mario Bros. got two sequels within a few months of each other.

I agree Smash seems like the sort of title you wouldn't want a more hardcore fanbase to get tired of, but Nintendo milks successful franchises all the time.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The percents came from Prediction Contest where everyone gathered together to make their prediction list for 20 dollars prize. There are 121 people that decided to take a part of the contest. The percents is based on their prediction abilities.

Link to Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581179&page=5

Confirmed Characters
Mario - 100%
Luigi - 100%
Princess Peach - 100%
Bowser - 99.16%
Dr. Mario - 0%
Rosalina - 4.21%
Bowser Jr. - 22.69%

Yoshi - 100%

Donkey Kong - 98.32%
Diddy Kong - 93.28%

Wario - 96.64%

Link - 100%
Zelda - 99.16%
Sheik - 79.83%
Ganondorf - 91.60%
Toon Link - 71.43%

Samus - 99.16%
Zero Suit Samus - 84.04%

Pit - 97.48%
Palutena - 66.39%
Dark Pit - 9.25%

Marth - 95.80%
Ike - 47.90%
Roy - 15.97%
Lucina - 13.45%
Robin - 5.89%

Kirby - 99.16%
Metaknight - 95.80%
King Dedede - 92.44%

Fox - 99.16%
Falco - 89.92%

Pikachu - 100%
Jigglypuff - 90.76%
Mewtwo - 70.59% - Newtwo - 47.90%
Pokemon Trainer's Charizard - 46.22% & Pokemon Trainer - 89.08%
Lucario - 36.14%
Pokemon X/Y - 29.42%

Ness - 99.16%
Lucas - 79%

Captain Falcon - 100%
Captain Olimar - 92.44%

Villager - 0.84%
Wii Fit Trainer - 0%
Little Mac - 60.51%
Mii - 20.17%
Shulk - 64.71%

Mr. Game and Watch - 94.12%
R.O.B. - 82.36%
Duck Hunt Dog - 3.36%

Sonic - 89.08%
Mega Man - 58.83%
Pac-Man - 57.15%
Ryu - 4.21%
Cloud - 0.84%

Cut Characters (So Far)
Ice Climbers - 94.12%
Pokemon Trainer - 89.08%
Pokemon Trainer's Ivysaur - 46.22%
Pokemon Trainer's Squirtle - 46.22%
Wolf - 74.79%
Snake - 60.51%

Top 10 for Least Predicted Newcomer
Wii Fit Trainer - 0%
Cloud - 0.84%
Villager - 0.84%
Duck Hunt Dog - 3.36%
Ryu - 4.21%
Rosalina - 4.21%
Robin - 5.89%
Lucina - 13.45%
Mii - 20.17%
Bowser Jr. - 22.69%

Top 5 for Least Predicted Veterans
Dr. Mario - 0%
Roy - 15.97%
Lucario - 36.14%
Ike - 47.90%
Mewtwo - 70.59%

Top 10 for Least Predicted Characters
Wii Fit Trainer - 0%
Dr. Mario - 0%
Cloud - 0.84%
Villager - 0.84%
Duck Hunt Dog - 3.36%
Ryu - 4.21%
Rosalina - 4.21%
Robin - 5.89%
Lucina - 13.45%
Roy - 15.97%

Pokemaniac

A quick port of Smash Wii U to NX doesn't really make sense with how Smash Bros works. Smash 5 could, of course, be heavily based on Smash 4, but a straight port would be somewhat underwhelming and would preclude an actual Smash 5 on the first gen NX hardware.

Okay yeah maybe some other developer will add K. Rool, but you probably overestimate someone else's ability to do what Sakurai does the way he does it.

I'm not saying a Smash with someone else in charge would be inherently bad, but it would be very different. Sakurai has a distinct developing style, as do most talented developers.

Sakurai has my implicit trust with Smash. He has proven his love and care for Nintendo's characters and is the caretaker of this important series. Someone else could do a fine job, but it's no guarantee. And even then it's a new era of Smash.

I don't think the series is in need of that kind of change right now. It's not stale, it's not in crisis. The only thing it does need is some more resources and maybe a Sakurai-picked assistant. Someone who can take some of the workload off of Sakurai. I think the fatigue is preventing him from taking some chances with game modes, specifically the failure of the SSE. If he had someone he could trust in a position to be his right hand, then he could not only do more with single player content (the only area I find Smash to be lacking significantly), but he could groom this person to be his successor.

Then again, this is all assuming he returns. Which I don't think he wants. I hope he does what's best for him and he's able to make other games in the future. He's probably my favorite single developer in the industry.

Why do all convos like this turn into straw men about how people only even bring up other developers because "maybe they'll add Ridley or K. Rool"? Not to say that is your intent but from my findings, It is a lazy way to stifle talk about a future without Sakurai, one that may happen some day, by making all people who talk about it to be kids whining about what newcomers he has not added

All I am saying is that it is wrong when people act like a new director and Smash being handled with care and attention to detail are mutually exclusive things lol

Why do all convos like this turn into straw men about how people only even bring up other developers because "maybe they'll add Ridley or K. Rool"? Not to say that is your intent but from my findings, It is a lazy way to stifle talk about a future without Sakurai, one that may happen some day, by making all people who talk about it to be kids whining about what newcomers he has not added

All I am saying is that it is wrong when people act like a new director and Smash being handled with care and attention to detail are mutually exclusive things lol

As for the bolded, probably because of your post history.

As for the rest, read my post. I talked about my trepidation with a new director and how it's not something that I condemn, but simultaneously not something I'm excited about, as some whose favorite characters have been excluded seem to be.

I just don't see Sakurai, who y'know, makes it very clear that developing these games are tough as hell, would want to jump from this Smash to the next so quickly. And with this one still getting content over a year after it's release (unlike the previous games that allowed him some breathing room straight away) this entry has taken a hell of a commitment from him like no other game he's worked on.
For his own sanity it'd be in everyone's interests to either port this game to NX or use it as a base and keep the DLC coming from a condensed but permanent team. It's still gonna be a lot of work, especially as even brushing up the graphics a tad isn't a quick fix. Nor is 'just adding the 3DS stages' into one complete game. Those stages would have to be completely remodelled and built again for the NX version. And what about the handheld NX? Is that just gonna get all the Wii U stages? Of course not. But all of this is a better alternative than starting from scratch. Which quite frankly, Nintendo doesn't have the time to waste. Smash is a system seller and people want it on day one (or as close to day one as possible). Considering how little this game has sold compared to the numbers it could do, they'd be mad to throw it all away for the sake of making a new game again with or without Sakurai.
If Nintendo have any sense they'll port this game over with all DLC included and depending on the final fighters announced in December, maybe another couple of characters (or if they're business savvy, tell everyone DLC is starting up again and just release characters that way). They have the ballot results, they have first hand information in who people want to see join the fight. Smash should be an ongoing service to survive in the industry today, not a game that comes out once every 6 years. The hype will never end and there's always a dream character that a deal can be made to make that dream a reality.

TLDR; Nintendo does not have the time for a full Smash development cycle. Some form of NX is launching next year at some point, and we're still getting content for current Smash games. Sm4sh started development in early 2012 and released holiday 2014, the NX will struggle to gain momentum if Smash takes as long as 2018 for the next iteration to release. Port Sm4sh or the NX dies.

kirby_fox

Banned
New Super Mario Bros. got two sequels within a few months of each other.

I agree Smash seems like the sort of title you wouldn't want a more hardcore fanbase to get tired of, but Nintendo milks successful franchises all the time.

I don't think they really count portable and console as the same entity. They've also called this a third pillar, similar to how the DS was talked about before usurping the GBA line. I would take a guess the Wii U and 3DS will see some kind of support going forward and they don't want to entirely lose that base if NX fails.

Which is why I don't see Zelda or Smash coming to the system. If that talk changes, then I expect it but not until then.

Sponge

Banned
TLDR; Nintendo does not have the time for a full Smash development cycle. Some form of NX is launching next year at some point, and we're still getting content for current Smash games. Sm4sh started development in early 2012 and released holiday 2014, the NX will struggle to gain momentum if Smash takes as long as 2018 for the next iteration to release. Port Sm4sh or the NX dies.

That's the biggest reason why I think we will get some kind of port. Nintendo needs Smash more than some people realize. It's one of the games people buy their consoles for. Smash 4 is just now supposedly wrapping up and there won't be another one for a while I'm sure.

As for the bolded, probably because of your post history.

As for the rest, read my post. I talked about my trepidation with a new director and how it's not something that I condemn, but simultaneously not something I'm excited about, as some whose favorite characters have been excluded seem to be.

Yeah I can see why people would target me with that but it is not just me, it happens with lots of people. "You suggested a new developer??? He or she won't necessarily add your favorite character you know!!!"

Like of course they might not, because maybe the person is discussing a new developer for any of a million other reasons?

EulaCapra

With the advent of Cloud (hehehe) bringing the DLC roster to Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and Cloud; I said it before and I'll say it again, WHERE THEM FEMALES AT!?

With the advent of Cloud (hehehe) bringing the DLC roster to Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and Cloud; I said it before and I'll say it again, WHERE THEM FEMALES AT!?

Ya just gotta believe in the Wayforward that believes in you my friend
wtQb1jP.gif

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
3UfYbqp.png

Since someone said that we have two more stages which isn't in case. That's big if it's not pirate ship leftover. I strongly believe Cloud and Midgar have been worked on for long time so it might be between Mario Maker and Duck Hunt. So we might have two more stages to go.

Warning: Sorry for lazy edits. I was in rush with the image.

Edited: for people who don't understand the images, there are 6 available slots for stages. Due to omega stages, there are two slots per stages.

I don't believe the Wii U has any space between Mario Maker and Pirate Ship, and I believe it only has two slots.

So I'm pretty sure that's just an unused slot for Pirate Ship.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't believe the Wii U has any space between Mario Maker and Pirate Ship, and I believe it only has two slots.

So I'm pretty sure that's just an unused slot for Pirate Ship.

I don't think anyone ever check Wii U files yet because I haven't really heard anything about it. I would appreciate if anyone check for us (or at least prove the picture/source)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, would you be able to say with a straight face that Cloud will be in Smash 4 when it was announced, or as a DLC at page 1?

I suddenly wonder what would have happened if we hear about Cloud back when we got main OTs in Gaming.

I love this one: "You should at least accept that Cloud’s in the game mostly for foreign gamers. The fact he’s in the game shows that your opinions mean almost nothing anyway."

Grass is always greener, I guess!
That's funny because a lot of times we try to say so and so is so popular in Japan, and now they're spinning it back on to us!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, something dawned to me.

Snake and Wolf being revealed at the same time would be perfect, if only to capitalize one thing.

tumblr_inline_nxob8kD6p51rxps7b_500.gif

Axass

Just for fun: http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-do-japanese-fans-think-of-cloud-in-super-smash-bros/

While it's not wholly representative of Japan, the first one made me lol

From the comments, speaking about the difference between the english and japanese videos of Cloud:

Carol said:
The one difference I saw in the two was that in the Japanese at 2:47, they insert the word 最後 (final), whereas there’s no indication of any finality in the English version.

[スマブラ最後の特別番組放送決定2015.12]

vs

“Super Smash Bros. Special Broadcast Coming December 2015.”

Apparently it's true. Could this mean we are reaching the end of the DLC in December? Or is it possible they're going to announce something for Spring 2016 as well? In any case it seems the special broadcast will mark the end of Smash 4 announcements from Nintendo.
Or is it just a mistranslation?

NotLiquid

From the comments, speaking about the difference between the english and japanese videos of Cloud:

Apparently it's true. Could this mean we are reaching the end of the DLC in December? Or is it possible they're going to announce something for Spring 2016 as well? In any case it seems the special broadcast will mark the end of Smash 4 announcements from Nintendo.
Or is it just a mistranslation?

The press release confirms this to be the last special presentation for Smash 4, so it's safe to assume that whatever we get in December will be the final content laid out in one way or another.

Crayolan

Just for fun: http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-do-japanese-fans-think-of-cloud-in-super-smash-bros/

While it's not wholly representative of Japan, the first one made me lol

Doesn't seem much different from western comments.

Except for this:

As always, the Internet filth of Japan gives a coldhearted response.

You should at least accept that Cloud’s in the game mostly for foreign gamers. The fact he’s in the game shows that your opinions mean almost nothing anyway.

Some self-hating Japanese dude here.

RedColumn

I was thinking today that in less than 30 days probably, we will know more about the Smash Ballot, but maybe the final results will never go live (who didnt think this aready though :p)

So, I wanted to ask the people on internet, who did they choose. In the Smash Ballot you could choose whoever you want, so instead to make a normal poll, I make a brainstorm poll, where people can just vote or if the character that they chosed is not there, they can add it. Like this, we maybe have a better reference of how the final list of Ballot was and who the people choose (even if its Goku... ).

We do not know for sure if Cloud is part or not of the Smash Ballot, but I woudn't be surprise that many people put it the first week, and they decided to go for it.

I have published the poll on my site (smashbros-miiverse), and I will close it just before the broadcast, and we can compare.

Here you have the link of the braimstorm:
https://www.tricider.com/brainstorming/2srOXE2n99x

EDIT: Its been only a few votes and a few minutes open, and its not a surprise to see the inkling on the top (I voted for them as well)... but Im really surprise to see Isaac sharing the top with them at the moment! I know people like it, but not that much. And not sign of Goku though :p (yet....)

EDIT2: and people seems to be voting for snake... but not really for Wolf.. are we sure he is coming? This is like on the films, that everyone expect that someone is gonna win for sure, so they vote for another and then the one expected... nobody voted for.... If that is the case of Wolf and they see no vote in the first 2 weeks... maybe they decided not to include him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom