• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Buni

I said I would take a break from Smash speculation but I just can't.

You know, someone said early in this thread that we shouldn't expect Nintendo characters (other than vets and Inklings perhaps) to be released as DLC after Ryu and I think they were completely right. While I still think characters like Rhythm Heaven rep and Dixie would be cool in Smash, I don't think they will be added to the roster. I just hope we get Inklings at least, they are already bigger than many older Nintendo characters anyways.

I wonder if we will be surprised with another "out of nowhere" announcement in less than 30 days. This is kind of exciting.

NeonZ

All I am saying is that it is wrong when people act like a new director and Smash being handled with care and attention to detail are mutually exclusive things lol

The main issue is that if you look at Nintendo's other games, most of Nintendo's directors seem to avoid extraneous "extra" content or options, unlike Sakurai. I don't doubt that there are directors that could push Smash forward, but I'm not sure the director taking over the series would be one of those. I can't really see them handling a game like Smash, with all their franchises, to a complete outsider.

Dr. Buni

I am thinking the last three characters will be

Snake (returning vet, his reveal would be extremely hype)
Inklings (Nintendo newcomer, popular pick, probably got tons of votes on ballot)
Ballot winner or another crazy third party addition

Sorry, Wolf.
Maybe an Nx port could have extra characters, stages and modes?
I wonder how many characters they can still add to Smash with a roster this big. Are there any balanced games with 60+ character rosters?

Chronoman

Banned
It really does bother me that people are already wanting an NX port when this game is not even a year old. The Wii U version is going to be the only one for a long long time

Dr. Buni

It really does bother me that people are already wanting an NX port when this game is not even a year old. The Wii U version is going to be the only one for a long long time
You don't know that. Also, the Wii U version can't be the only one when the 3DS version exist :p

Could this mean we are reaching the end of the DLC in December? Or is it possible they're going to announce something for Spring 2016 as well? In any case it seems the special broadcast will mark the end of Smash 4 announcements from Nintendo.
Or is it just a mistranslation?

I'm betting last Smash specific presentation, but still have some Smash within general directs.

I'm still holding out that we get 2 more fighters with Cloud, but if it were something like Wolf and Inklings, that doesn't really scream out Ballot fighter chosen, if anything, I'm pretty sure we'll get 3 fighters in 2016 because of that.

Cloud, Snake, and Crash/Spyro this December!

MagnesD3

I am thinking the last three characters will be

Snake (returning vet, his reveal would be extremely hype)
Inklings (Nintendo newcomer, popular pick, probably got tons of votes on ballot)
Ballot winner or another crazy third party addition

Sorry, Wolf.

I wonder how many characters they can still add to Smash with a roster this big. Are there any balanced games with 60+ character rosters?

Balance really isnt a big concern for smash 4, at least not to sakurai...

Sponge

Banned
You don't know that. Also, the Wii U version can't be the only one when the 3DS version exist :p

It's also something to point out that when Smash went into development back in 2012, that Nintendo had no clue they would be dropping the Wii U this soon. I think an NX port is something to consider. The naming conventions of this game set it up well for an NX port, too. They could just call it Smash Bros. for NX and add some content to it.

Dr. Buni

If it wasn't we wouldn't be getting balance patches. If they ignore balance, they will be losing the competitive side of the fandom, which is rather big.
It's also something to point out that when Smash went into development back in 2012, that Nintendo had no clue they would be dropping the Wii U this soon. I think an NX port is something to consider. The naming conventions of this game set it up well for an NX port, too. They could just call it Smash Bros. for NX and add some content to it.
I agree.

NeonZ

I'm betting last Smash specific presentation, but still have some Smash within general directs.

If there are characters or some big feature (like a new DLC Adventure mode or something) announced for a later date, I could see some smaller videos in Direct or just standalone uploads that would go alongside them, promoting more Mii Costumes. If everything is announced for right after the special presentation, then we aren't getting anything at all afterwards.

Of course, if we are getting at least one ballot characters, unless it's a cheap clone, I doubt they could have finished it by December.

Dr. Buni

If there are characters or some big feature (like a new DLC Adventure mode or something) announced for a later date, I could see some smaller videos in Direct or just standalone uploads that would go alongside them, promoting more Mii Costumes. If everything is announced for right after the special presentation, then we aren't getting anything at all afterwards.

Of course, if we are getting at least one ballot characters, unless it's a cheap clone, I doubt they could have finished it by December.
Couldn't May~December be enough for developing two characters?

Tregard

Soothsayer
The fact we are getting a dedicated announcement "thing" in December makes me think it's at least 3 characters, if it was just 1 or 2 they wouldn't have a singular event for it, or they would've saved Cloud for it. Personally hoping for Banjo & Kazooie, Inkling and Bayonetta, but I'm happy to accept one of them will probably be Wolf or K. Rool.

Smash as a platform makes a lot of sense as it means Sakuri and the team wouldn't be burdened with starting from scratch again and getting potentially mired in the middle of whatever the NX's cycle will be, and they could continue adding to the roster (Reaching 60 characters, we are now past the point of a sensible size, it's go big or go home time)

That comment Sponge linked to about the LoL model is something I could really see Nintendo going for, especially if the NX is going to be a constantly updating system. Only time will tell.

Ryce

The fact we are getting a dedicated announcement "thing" in December makes me think it's at least 3 characters, if it was just 1 or 2 they wouldn't have a singular event for it, or they would've saved Cloud for it.
They had a singular event for two character announcements in June.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
All they need to do is add Ice Climbers and call it "Super Smash Bros. for NX"

Why stop there? Why not ask for Rhythm Heaven, Takamaru, Wolf (if he didnt make in), Snake (if he didn't make in), and Splatoon's Inkling. :p

Well, it could be enough time to make 4 characters.

We saw Mewtwo's rough model in Smash U Direct during October. If they started working on the characters during October so they might have between 6-7 months working on the characters.

October - Working on Mewtwo Model
November to January - Working on Ryu, Lucas and Roy Models and working on Mewtwo's moveset
January to April - Working on Lucas, Ryu, Roy and Mewtwo movesets and their inclusion into other modes and trophies
April to May/June - Bug Test phase

I'm pretty sure that Cloud might be planned before they started with the ballot since it really take a lot of time to working with the third party company like working out the license deal, getting approval with staffs about Cloud and Cloud's moveset, etc.

I'm going to make the guesses so I might be wrong.

April to May: Cloud Model is being worked on
May to July: 2 (or 3) characters are being worked on.
After that: moveset, trophies, modes, etc.

If they actually start working on characters during April-May then they could have same length as first bundle of DLC characters.

Dr. Buni

The fact we are getting a dedicated announcement "thing" in December makes me think it's at least 3 characters, if it was just 1 or 2 they wouldn't have a singular event for it, or they would've saved Cloud for it. Personally hoping for Banjo & Kazooie, Inkling and Bayonetta, but I'm happy to accept one of them will probably be Wolf or K. Rool.
At least? I don't think we are getting more than 3 characters, not counting Cloud.

Also, if they are going for big third party icons, I don't see Bayonetta happening. Though I am not really attempting to predict anything anymore.

Banjo-Kazooie would be the GOAT, though. Would be a nice counter balance to Cloud in terms of origins and design/inspiration, even.
Well, it could be enough time to make 4 characters.
Yeah. 6+ months surely is enough time to develop Cloud and another newcomer, at least.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What will Sakurai do next
Find out in December

zS31fkE.jpg

I kid, I kid. Yeah, I really hope that it would be Early December because I don't want to wait THAT LONG to see which characters that Sakurai had up in his sleeves.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
GArfScX.jpg

I really love the concept behind Midgar stage where we would fight over Summon Materia in order to summon the summons. Yeah, it is going to be a lot of fun with friends.

NeonZ

It would be, but that's basically assuming that they looked at week one ballot votes and everything else was irrelevant, or just didn't consider the ballot at all.

I really doubt the Wii U will have any shelf life after the NX comes out. Smash Bros has traditionally sold well through multiple years, but the Wii U stops that from happening. Even the 3ds is getting phased out around the same time too.

Hypothesis: we get two more guest characters with Cloud in December. No Wolf. No Inkling. Maybe Layton and Shovel Knight.

Instead, the Smash crew is working on the Smash NX game, which will largely be a port with added features and characters, but enough to differentiate it as an appealing launch title. Inklings, K. Rool, Wolf, etc., are being worked on for this version. Thus the various rumors about character development are validated.

Personally, I would adore Smash 4 reworked on the NX with rollback netcode. Use the processing power not to make the game crazier, but to let it run at 120hz behind the scenes.

What are all those balance patches for, then?

Well slightly more hope cloud english VA will be able to provide some clips in time.

Yea, I'm starting to wonder if Cloud is actually going to release some time in early 2016, rather than in December.

Cloud's voice actor has implied he's doing the voice for Smash, so Cloud will be dubbed.

GArfScX.jpg

I really love the concept behind Midgar stage where we would fight over Summon Materia in order to summon the summons. Yeah, it is going to be a lot of fun with friends.

The textures on that metal crane thing right behind them look like something from the N64. The heck lol?

Chronoman

Banned
it will be at least 5 years until Smash 5 based on the other entries in the series. It will be a long long long long time.

EVO players have no issue playing on old systems. There is no rush to upgrade

it will be at least 5 years until Smash 5 based on the other entries in the series. It will be a long long long long time.

Unless Nintendo wants the NX to succeed.

Also, the Wii U is a mess for competitive events. The Gamepad is pure garbage. I really hope Nintendo doesn't double down on that blunder.

Chronoman

Banned
Unless Nintendo wants the NX to succeed.

Also, the Wii U is a mess for competitive events. The Gamepad is pure garbage. I really hope Nintendo doesn't double down on that blunder.

A Smash on NX has almost nothing to do with whether NX will succeed. Wii succeeded without a launch Smash game. Wii U is not a mess for competitive events since most use the pro controller. That is a non issue.

NeonZ

Based on the other entries of the series... aside from Smash Bros for 3ds. I didn't post that thinking about competitive players anyway, but about game and system sales.

TDLink

A port of Smash 4 for NX will help sales of the system. People want a Smash on their console. It also makes complete business sense. And the team is currently still together. It's incredibly likely in my eyes. I don't know why it's hard for some people to see this. It's almost like some people don't want it to happen.

The other entries are only 3 games. There is not enough data from 3 entries to form a solid trend. Plus things change all the time. You know what else the other Smash games all had? A long and healthy life. If Smash 4 doesn't come out on NX, then it won't.

Think about the shear amount of content and characters they've worked on for this game (And are continuing to work on). They aren't going to throw that away.

Chronoman

Banned
But again, you don't know that. What you are saying is, if anything, not very likely to happen.

A port of Smash 4 for NX will help sales of the system. People want a Smash on their console. It also makes complete business sense. And the team is currently still together. It's incredibly likely in my eyes. I don't know why it's hard for some people to see this. It's almost like some people don't want it to happen.

A port of GTA V would help. 3 brand new Mario Galaxy games at launch would help too. A ton of things would "help"

1) The team will NOT be together much longer. Sakurai said so a few months ago
2) Wii U is not going anywhere. Marvel vs Capcom 3 is still played at EVO on PS3. Just because a system gets replaced does not mean the entire fanbase moves with it immediately.
3) No Smash game has EVER been enhance ported

It is not likely whatsoever

NeonZ

Based on the other entries that is exactly what is going to happen. It is you all thinking NX will see Smash year one that is not very likely to happen

Like I said above, you're completely ignoring Smash Bros for 3ds when you say that.

A port of GTA V would help. 3 brand new Mario Galaxy games at launch would help too. A ton of things would "help"

2) Wii U is not going anywhere. Marvel vs Capcom 3 is still played at EVO on PS3. Just because a system gets replaced does not mean the entire fanbase moves with it immediately.

Tournament are fairly irrelevant regarding the numbers that we're talking about here. You won't get to move an extra million of units of Smash Bros by people picking up a 3ds and Wii U after they've been phased out of the market. Regarding your third point, it's just you ignoring Smash Bros for 3ds yet again.

Chronoman

Banned
If you want Smash on NX, that is fine. But to say something that has never happened before in the 15 year history of Smash is "likely" is just plain delusional to me.

TDLink

1) The team will NOT be together much longer. Sakurai said so a few months ago

I am not ignoring it at all. It is an irrelevant point.

When the NX version of Smash comes out in 2020, maybe it will get a handheld component.

It is funny just how wrong you are. None of your points are based in logic and all are based in assumption. Wii U is a dead system. It has some great games, but it's a dead system. What pro players do and Evo and stuff matters absolutely 0. NX will get Smash 4, which you apparently don't want at all. But it will happen.

Sponge

Banned
A Smash on NX has almost nothing to do with whether NX will succeed. Wii succeeded without a launch Smash game. Wii U is not a mess for competitive events since most use the pro controller. That is a non issue.

It still did eventually get a Smash game. One that sold throughout the consoles lifespan, like Mario Kart does. Melee was also the highest selling Gamecube game period. I think porting Smash 4 over to NX instead of waiting 5 years just makes more sense on a business standpoint.

NeonZ

I am not ignoring it at all. It is an irrelevant point.

When the NX version of Smash comes out in 2020, maybe it will get a handheld component.

It's an irrelevant point to you because you want to ignore it, but it's not an irrelevant point at all, since it shows a partially ported game between two different systems, something the Smash series had never seen before. Yes, it's a portable and a console, rather than two consoles, but that doesn't magically change what they did there.

Also, regarding your point about the history of the series, look at the launch dates of the games. We've never gotten Smash games before right at the end of a console's life. The Wii U/3ds situation hasn't been seen before. Yet, following your "logic" end of life, killing the series legs, always launching at the end of a generation, would become Smash Bros' standard. That just doesn't make sense.

Chronoman

Banned
Umm, every one of my points is based in fact. Yours are the one that are delusional.

"Wii U is a dead system." Who cares? You think the fighting game community cares about that?

"NX will get Smash 4" Proof? Have other smash games been ported to newer systems? Has that ever happened before?

Chronoman

Banned
I will say it one last time.

Will NX eventually see a new Smash game in 5-6 years? Sure. That makes sense. We have seen this before

Will NX see an enhanced port of Smash 4 in the first year of the system? LOL. We have never seen this before. So until it happens, it is unlikely.

NeonZ

"Wii U is a dead system." Who cares? You think the fighting game community cares about that?

The "fighting game community" isn't the one still moving millions of copies of every past Smash years after their launch. You're delusional if you think they're a relevant point regarding this.

Sponge

Banned
I will say it one last time.

Will NX eventually see a new Smash game in 5-6 years? Sure. That makes sense. We have seen this before

Will NX see an enhanced port of Smash 4 in the first year of the system? LOL. We have never seen this before. So until it happens, it is unlikely.

We've never seen Nintendo wait 5-6 for a new Smash game on a new system either. Brawl took two years to come out after the Wii was released and was still announced before the console was released. It's hard to say what's gonna happen. In 2012 Nintendo had no idea they would be dropping the Wii U this soon. That's something to take into consideration.

RomanceDawn

In 5 years will the NX be retiring, with Smash skipping an entire generation or coming on at the very tail end of it? That's the biggest thing you have to consider. Do we get Smash4/5 on the NX right away with all kinds of extra crazy content to ride out an entire generation with more potential or does it tag along at the very end/skip over to NX2?

Too soon for a brand new game but they can't wait too long either. This game with some notable extras is worthy of lasting 2 console cycles. Or 1 and 1/2 anyway.

Smash 3DU is part 4 and 5. I'm almost certain we get both with all the extra content and then some with Smash 6 coming around 2020 or when ever the devil NX is ready for it's major upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom