• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronoman

Banned
NX is much more likely to get an original Smash than it is to ever see an enhanced port of Smash 4.

Will Sakurai be involved? Too soon to tell. But I would eat my hat if Smash 4 goto enhance ported.

Chronoman

Banned
I promise though, I am a man of my word, if Smash 4 got enhance ported, I would be the first one to say how wrong I am.

But I expect that same courtesy if we never hear about an enhanced Smash 4 port during the first year.

Right now, lets enjoy the last bit of Smash 4 dlc and the direct in december.

TrueBlue

Cross posting from the announcement thread:

Little update on whether or not Steve Burton will be providing his voice for Cloud. A fan asked him directly via Twitter if he could say anything about whether or not he would be involved with Smash. This was Burton's response:

I haven't been asked but I sure hope so!

So yeah. Since Xander has only just found out about Cloud himself, I imagine that voicework to support the new content has yet to be recorded, so I wouldn't rule out Burton just yet.

https://twitter.com/1SteveBurton/status/665628225687707648

Clov

From the comments, speaking about the difference between the english and japanese videos of Cloud:

Apparently it's true. Could this mean we are reaching the end of the DLC in December? Or is it possible they're going to announce something for Spring 2016 as well? In any case it seems the special broadcast will mark the end of Smash 4 announcements from Nintendo.
Or is it just a mistranslation?

Guess this will be the last Smash focused Direct after all! We'll probably get news about the remaining DLC here, I'd think. A pity, I really did think they'd keep at it for longer. Perhaps we'll get even more if that potential NX version pans out; if not at this E3, then the next, maybe? We'll see.

I'm hoping for at least three more characters, and a lot of stages. I'll keep holding on to my hope that Fourside will return! Along with some 3DS stages being put on the Wii U version. As for characters, personally I'd want to see Inkling, K. Rool, and Wolf.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I am not ignoring it at all. It is an irrelevant point.

When the NX version of Smash comes out in 2020, maybe it will get a handheld component.

I'm not sure if it's a wise move to release Smash Bros like 3-4 years after NX. Considering that NX is coming out in late 2016 or 2017.

RK128

On the topic of a NX port, I almost expect it due to the chances of a Smash 5 on NX taking far longer than the development process of Smash 4 (Sakari's real last smash is likely Smash 4). So, it would be wise to do the following:
-June 2016: New Retail Release of Smash 4 on Wii U & 3DS that includes all the DLC content released so far for 59.99/39.99. Comes with a special Smash Bros. Logo Amiibo for collector copies (they made an Amiibo for a HD remaster, they can do one for a GOTY Edition of Smash if they wanted to).
-Announced that same month (E3) that Smash 4 is coming to the NX and will have all the DLC content alongside two extra characters (Ice Climbers and an Nintendo Newcomer). Has a lot of fixes and features (stages from both versions, Smash Run, ect.).

The Wii U may not have a successful console, but they made the 3DS version for that very reason and that reportedly did very well for Nintendo; the game didn't bomb at all (even on Wii U, its one of the better selling games next to 3D World and Mario Kart 8).

Going back to the Ballot and upcoming event, I see the following happening there:
-Open it by reminding people of all the content that was added to Smash over the year
-Then talk about how Cloud and his Midgar stage works for a good five or so minutes
-Migrate discussion to the topic of new Mii Costumes and Stages; all announced at event release after its over.
-Mii Costumes are based on Square Characters (FF, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger) while stages are a mix of Smash 64 (Saffron City) and Melee (Fountain of Dreams, Poke Floats, Great Bay).
-Patch that makes core modes/gameplay better in both versions (Lobby's added for Online modes, Classic Mode from Wii U version comes to 3DS while Smash Run comes to Wii U version (using new assets based on newer IP (Street Fighter, Mother, Pokemon, Final Fantasy), ect)
-Announce that five character are coming to Smash Bros.
-Two of them are returning veterans from Brawl: Wolf and Snake
-The remaining three are from the Ballot; one third party, one indie, one Nintendo character
-My personal guesses for the following: Banjo & Kazooie (Rare), Shantae or Shovel Knight for the Indie rep, Inkling/King K. Rool/Paper Mario for Nintendo.
-Each of them comes with an original stage and music from the IP they come from (Banjo: Spiral Mountain, Shantae: Scuttle Town, Shovel Knight: Great Plains/Enchantress's Castle/Plague Knight's Lab, Inkling: Inkoplis, King K. Rool: Factory Level from DKC or a Stage themed from DKC2, Paper Mario: Battle Stage from The Thousand Year Door)
-Show closes by saying Cloud, Snake and Wolf plus the new stages (Midgar, Fountain of Dreams, Saffron City, ect) and Mii Costume are on the E-Shop now; release dates for the Ballot Winners are for early 2016.
-Thank fans for the support throughout the year and promises that while Smash 4's DLC plans are over, Smash 4 support isn't ending (hinting at a NX version, but not officially stating it).

Chronoman

Banned
"My personal guesses for the following: Banjo & Kazooie (Rare), Shantae or Shovel Knight, Inkling/King K. Rool/Paper Mario for Nintendo"

Honestly, the only one out of this group that seems likely based on the third party patterns and even the first party ones is Inkling. Even though I would LOVE Rool, I just do not see it.

"Show closes by saying Cloud, Snake and Wolf"

I would have said Snake is likely if Konami was not in shambles. Now I am not sure. Wolf Same. Just not sure.

Nice picks though

Dr. Buni

Anyone other than Inklings is extremely wishful think at this point, imo. Especially Paper Mario.
I'm not sure if it's a wise move to release Smash Bros like 3-4 years after NX. Considering that NX is coming out in late 2016 or 2017.
Yeah, unless the NX is a massive failure like the Wii U, by the time Smash 5 is to be released, Nintendo would be already preparing the terrain for the release of the NX successor.

RK128

"My personal guesses for the following: Banjo & Kazooie (Rare), Shantae or Shovel Knight, Inkling/King K. Rool/Paper Mario for Nintendo"

Honestly, the only one out of this group that seems likely based on the third party patterns and even the first party ones is Inkling. Even though I would LOVE Rool, I just do not see it.

"Show closes by saying Cloud, Snake and Wolf"

I would have said Snake is likely if Konami was not in shambles. Now I am not sure. Wolf Same. Just not sure.

Nice picks though

Thank you :D!

I still have hope for Snake just because he wouldn't take a lot of work (same amount that Roy, Lucas and Mewtwo too; taking the base from an older Smash and making small improvements, some new animations and a new character model) and that they could re-use his stage from Brawl in both versions (though the 3DS version would need to cut down a bit to run well).

Wolf is almost expected to come and if we are getting a Nintendo newcomer.....I think it will be Inkling or Paper Mario. Would love to see King K. Rool but honestly not sure if that will happen. Even the stage that would be perfect for him (Pirate Ship) is already in Smash (with the Wii U version having the Wind Waker stage from Brawl filling that type up).

Chronoman

Banned
I am going to say after the December direct we get Cloud/Inkling (would promote the new cheaper bundle). They announce the rest of the characters picked from the ballot. Not sure what those will be.

RK128

I am going to say after the December direct we get Cloud/Inkling (would promote the new cheaper bundle). They announce the rest of the characters picked from the ballot. Not sure what those will be.

I would guess they would take three of the winners and release them throughout 2016.

The winners are somewhat easy guesses: Inkling could be the Nintendo Winner, Snake could be the third party winner (as like I said a few times, he would take little work to get done), and the Indie winner (if Nintendo is even having a playable indie rep) would be Shantae or Shovel Knight.

Its also worth noting that third party newcomers need to have a stage released alongside them; so that effectively makes more work for making an character (just look at the Midgar stage; really damn impressive considering its part of some DLC).

Chronoman

Banned
Quoting so you can't go back and change this - too funny.

Please. I never go back. I am saying there will NEVER be a Smash 4 enhancer port on NX. write it down.

I am also the guy who predicted a Square rep and Cloud as one of the possibilities. I win some and lose some all the time. No shame

Chronoman

Banned
I would guess they would take three of the winners and release them throughout 2016.

The winners are somewhat easy guesses: Inkling could be the Nintendo Winner, Snake could be the third party winner (as like I said a few times, he would take little work to get done), and the Indie winner (if Nintendo is even having a playable indie rep) would be Shantae or Shovel Knight.

Its also worth noting that third party newcomers need to have a stage released alongside them; so that effectively makes more work for making an character (just look at the Midgar stage; really damn impressive considering its part of some DLC).

Remember. There are no "Winners". This is a suggestion box of characters he thinks are interesting and wants to do.

If Goku won, he would ignore it, so there is no winning and losing per say. I really do not think any indie is getting in. They are just not iconic. We have seen the third party entries, and it is hard to make a case for Shantae with Ryu, Cloud, Megaman, Sonic in the game.

RK128

Remember. There are no "Winners". This is a suggestion box of characters he thinks are interesting and wants to do.

If Goku won, he would ignore it, so there is no winning and losing per say. I really do not think any indie is getting in. They are just not iconic. We have seen the third party entries, and it is hard to make a case for Shantae with Ryu, Cloud, Megaman, Sonic in the game.

Good points and after Cloud's inclusion, I really do not expect an indie rep appearing in Smash 4 now (would have loved to see Shanate or Shovel Knight in the game though :().

Please. I never go back. I am saying there will NEVER be a Smash 4 enhancer port on NX. write it down.

I am also the guy who predicted a Square rep and Cloud as one of the possibilities. I win some and lose some all the time. No shame
I am laughing at you saying Smash has no bearing on whether the NX succeeds, and that the GamePad isn't an irritant at tournaments. As a competitive player, I know you are wrong.

Also, the fact that you thought Cloud would be in Smash makes you less credible, not more.

Chronoman

Banned
I am laughing at you saying Smash has no bearing on whether the NX succeeds, and that the GamePad isn't an irritant at tournaments. As a competitive player, I know you are wrong.

Also, the fact that you thought Cloud would be in Smash makes you less credible, not more.

Smash does have no bearing on whether NX succeeds. That is all about the price point of the system, what it can do, third party support and so much more.

Smash is not the entire world lol. There is more to it than that.

The gamepad is irrelevant at tournaments, most do not use it. At EVO, most used the pro controller.

The fact that I knew Square would get a rep based on the patterns and logic is a pat on the ol back

Clov

Didn't you know that it was obvious that Cloud would get in based on the patterns and logic of Sakurai? We have his thought processes down to a science. No more surprises for Smash, since we already know what's coming up.

I bet you're wondering what the next set of DLC will be! Don't worry, I'll let you know; after the December Direct. I'll be sure to tell you about how obvious it all was afterwards.

RedColumn

GArfScX.jpg

I really love the concept behind Midgar stage where we would fight over Summon Materia in order to summon the summons. Yeah, it is going to be a lot of fun with friends.

I have never seen this image. Is from the PR? are there anymore? thanks :)

Chronoman

Banned
Didn't you know that it was obvious that Cloud would get in based on the patterns and logic of Sakurai? We have his thought processes down to a science. No more surprises for Smash, since we already know what's coming up.

I bet you're wondering what the next set of DLC will be! Don't worry, I'll let you know; after the December Direct. I'll be sure to tell you about how obvious it all was afterwards.

All the third party characters have been from Japanese third parties with ties to Nintendo.

Most people predicted Square getting a rep. Most people also think Level 5 will get one too.

Square has been due for a rep.

Honestly I was more surprised Square did not get announced during the Ryu E3.

Dr. Buni

All the third party characters have been from Japanese third parties with ties to Nintendo.

Most people predicted Square getting a rep. Most people also think Level 5 will get one too.

Square has been due for a rep.

Honestly I was more surprised Square did not get announced during the Ryu E3.
No, most people didn't predict Square getting a rep. Also, "Square being due for a rep" is nothing but an opinion. But keep on posting misinformation, it's kind of amusing!

Chronoman

Banned
No, most people didn't predict Square getting a rep. Also, "Square being due for a rep" is nothing but an opinion. But keep on posting misinformation, it's kind of amusing!

A lot of people did predict a Square rep, hell major Smash youtubers like Rogersbase, Etika, Shofu, and Zero, at one point or another over the last few months, predicted this very thing. Not Cloud specifically, but a Square rep.

Also, Square being due a rep is not really opinion but a logical conclusion based on Namco, Sega, Capcom getting reps. Square has given Nintendo platforms more exclusive support than all of these at one point or another over the years. So looking at the pattern. This just made perfect sense.

Dr. Buni

zS31fkE.jpg

I kid, I kid. Yeah, I really hope that it would be Early December because I don't want to wait THAT LONG to see which characters that Sakurai had up in his sleeves.
Yeah, me too. I am on annual leave after the second week of December until early February, so if what Sakurai has to announce is of my interest, I will have plenty of time to enjoy it. Well, if someone other than Cloud is supposed to be released this year. I don't plan to play Cloud so I hope there's more coming this year.

kirby_fox

Banned
You all assuming things is going to be painful to see when you get disappointed by your assumptions. But I guess that's the life of being a Nintendo fan.
And hey, new guy, can you stop double posting? There's an edit button.

Here's something fun to do: Sakurai after seeing the ballot sees a lot of people putting in votes for Sony and Microsoft first party characters. He decides to include Banjo, but as a Rare rep rather than a Microsoft rep. Each of the others get one character to represent them in Smash. Who would you want to represent each company?

Master Chief for Microsoft, but I'm torn for Sony.

Chronoman

Banned
You all assuming things is going to be painful to see when you get disappointed by your assumptions. But I guess that's the life of being a Nintendo fan.

Here's something fun to do: Sakurai after seeing the ballot sees a lot of people putting in votes for Sony and Microsoft first party characters. He decides to include Banjo, but as a Rare rep rather than a Microsoft rep. Each of the others get one character to represent them in Smash. Who would you want to represent each company?

I agree I think they will be disappointed by their insistent of an NX port. Sorry for double posting, I get excited lol.

Honestly, I do not think Sony or Microsoft characters got any votes because people just assumed it would be impossible and chose someone else. That is my theory.

RK128

Sorry about the double posting :(. Will try to not do that again.

I don't think we will get Sony and MS reps but if we DID get them, Master Chief would easily be the MS pick. Sony's pick is a bit more tricky....but I see Nintendo pulling from Sony's platformer history. So, I could see either Sackboy, Ratchet & Clank or Jak & Daxter representing them.

Dr. Buni

Banjo and Kazooie*

Chronoman

Banned
Out of all the third party characters Layton is clearly the front runner followed by Banjo in my view (I think that might happen), it is not too crazy.

Sponge

Banned
Out of all the third party characters Layton is clearly the front runner followed by Banjo in my view (I think that might happen), it is not too crazy.

A Level 5 representative does make a lot of sense. So far all of the third parties in Smash come from companies with good relationships with Nintendo. Level 5 is another studio that matches that. I could see Layton or a Yo-Kai Watch character getting in.

I used to be completely against Banjo because I thought it was impossible. I was a huge Rare fan and I'm still pretty bitter about what happened to the studio while under Microsoft. For a while I was telling people Yooka-Laylee made more sense because Playtonic actually wants to do stuff for Nintendo, but their game isn't even out yet.

If Minecraft is actually coming to the Wii U for reasons that aren't because of contracts prior to the buyout, I think Banjo has a good shot. It's been said before, but Nintendo and Rare must have contacted each other recently because DK64 is on the eShop with Jetpac still in the game.

Layton feels kind of small time next to Ryu, Cloud, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac Man. Level 5 even feels small time as a company compared to Capcom, Square, Sega and Namco.

Banjo only scoots by due to his strong history as a former Nintendo character. Otherwise he wouldn't really be all that big next to the hot shot third parties in Smash

Chronoman

Banned
Layton feels kind of small time next to Ryu, Cloud, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac Man. Level 5 even feels small time as a company compared to Capcom, Square, Sega and Namco.

Banjo only scoots by due to his strong history as a former Nintendo character. Otherwise he wouldn't really be all that big next to the hot shot third parties in Smash

Layton is arguably the most popular Puzzle game character ever. Level 5 is another Japanese publisher (very important) with MAJOR ties to Nintendo. Is it guaranteed? No. But it fits the pattern

I think Agumon/Wargreymon is slept on.
After Mario vs Sonic, Link vs Cloud, and Ryu vs The World, the last bastion of classic 90s showdowns is Pokemon vs Digimon.

Besides, just look at this mofo

Pretty much the ideal Digimon if transformations are out of the question.

Sponge

Banned
I think Agumon/Wargreymon is slept on.
After Mario vs Sonic, Link vs Cloud, and Ryu vs The World, the last bastion of classic 90s showdowns is Pokemon vs Digimon.

Besides, just look at this mofo

Pretty much the ideal Digimon if transformations are out of the question.

While I don't see it happening, It would represent the Bandai side of Namco. Also the inner child in me would go bananas if I could have Pikachu and Charizard fight Agumon.

Pokemaniac

It still did eventually get a Smash game. One that sold throughout the consoles lifespan, like Mario Kart does. Melee was also the highest selling Gamecube game period. I think porting Smash 4 over to NX instead of waiting 5 years just makes more sense on a business standpoint.

It wouldn't necessarily be five years. That would only happen if Sakurai works on some other project in between.

GArfScX.jpg

I really love the concept behind Midgar stage where we would fight over Summon Materia in order to summon the summons. Yeah, it is going to be a lot of fun with friends.

This particular screen's crazy on so many levels. Imagine being told about this back in 2012! (Or any time after Wii Fit came out, really).

Clov

Using my pattern-sensing skills, I've managed to find the next DLC character. Let me give you a glimpse into my crystal ball; as we all know, Tecmo-Koei is one of Nintendo's closest third party partners, collaborating together on titles such as Pokemon Conquest, Hyrule Warriors, and several Fatal Frame games. They even had Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge as a timed Wii U exclusive! Taking all this into consideration, it's pretty obvious who the next character will be.

That's right, it's Rorona of Atelier fame! Coming from a franchise with a long history in Japan, the Atelier series may be Tecmo-Koei's most popular RPG series. She's even starred in a 3DS game! I can't wait to see how her alchemy abilities translate into Smash. Perhaps some sort of pie related Final Smash could work here?

Sponge

Banned
This particular screen's crazy on so many levels. Imagine being told about this back in 2012! (Or any time after Wii Fit came out, really).

I also remember when people thought Lucario was gonna be replaced by Zoroark.

Then Zoroark never got the same popularity that Lucario did :p

Chronoman

Banned
Using my pattern-sensing skills, I've managed to find the next DLC character. Let me give you a glimpse into my crystal ball; as we all know, Tecmo-Koei is one of Nintendo's closest third party partners, collaborating together on titles such as Pokemon Conquest, Hyrule Warriors, and several Fatal Frame games. They even had Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge as a timed Wii U exclusive! Taking all this into consideration, it's pretty obvious who the next character will be.

That's right, it's Rorona of Atelier fame! Coming from a franchise with a long history in Japan, the Atelier series may be Tecmo-Koei's most popular RPG series. She's even starred in a 3DS game! I can't wait to see how her alchemy abilities translate into Smash. Perhaps some sort of pie related Final Smash could work here?

Tecmo-Koei historically is NOT one of Nintendo's best partners. They do not have a super iconic character like Layton. While I appreciate the sarcasm, it just does not fit.

Atelier is not even Tecmo-Koei's most popular series. In fact, it might be their least given how sales have been diving.

Ryce

Pac-Man, Sonic, Snake, Ryu, Cloud, and Mega Man are all undisputed gaming legends, but I wouldn't put Professor Layton in their company. His series is only eight years old and it's sold half as much as the lowest-selling third-party currently in Smash Bros. I just don't think it's reached iconic status yet.

Level-5 is also more of the Tecmo Koei/Atlus/Aksys ilk. It's not a major international company like Bandai Namco, Capcom, Square Enix, Sega, or Konami. It rarely publishes its own games outside of Japan.

For the record, I'm not saying I don't like Layton or anything like that, I just don't think a Level-5 character needs to be shoehorned into Smash Bros. just because the company is on good terms with Nintendo.

Chronoman

Banned
Pac-Man, Sonic, Snake, Ryu, Cloud, and Mega Man are all undisputed gaming legends, but I wouldn't put Professor Layton in their company. His series is only eight years old and it's sold half as much as the lowest-selling third-party currently in Smash Bros. I just don't think it's reached iconic status yet.

Level-5 is also more of the Tecmo Koei/Atlus/Aksys ilk. It's not a major international company like Bandai Namco, Capcom, Square Enix, Sega, or Konami. It rarely publishes its own games outside of Japan.

For the record, I'm not saying I don't like Layton or anything like that, I just don't think a Level-5 character needs to be shoehorned into Smash Bros. just because the company is on good terms with Nintendo.

Level 5 made more money off of the 3DS last year than Nintendo did, in fact, they made more money off of the 3DS than anyone last year but they are not a major player? (In Japan)

Layton is only 8 years old but he is the most popular puzzle character ever. That is more than enough plus the relationship level 5 has with Nintendo (hell, the ceo came all the way to the NWS last weekend)

Layton might not be the most iconic out of those choices, but compared to what we have left in Shantae, Shovel Knight, ect. It is not even close that Layton is the front runner.

Layton might not be the most iconic out of those choices, but compared to what we have left in Shantae, Shovel Knight, ect. It is not even close that Layton is the front runner.

Well, if the remaining choices for third parties aren't that spectacular, perhaps it's time to stop adding them.

Clov

Tecmo-Koei historically is NOT one of Nintendo's best partners. They do not have a super iconic character like Layton. While I appreciate the sarcasm, it just does not fit.

Atelier is not even Tecmo-Koei's most popular series. In fact, it might be their least given how sales have been diving.

I would say that if you look at it historically, Level-5 and Tecmo-Koei have been collaborating with Nintendo for roughly the same amount of time, haven't they? The first Professor Layton released in 2007 (and that was only published by Nintendo outside of Japan), whereas the earliest Tecmo-Koei collaboration I can recall (Fatal Frame 4) was in 2008. That title was published by Nintendo in Japan! Naturally there's been collaborations on bigger franchises since then. Let's be honest with ourselves; Nintendo wouldn't just let anybody develop an entirely new Zelda spin-off, would they? One that's still being heavily promoted in Directs with DLC? It's clear that they're pretty close partners at this point.

On a side note, I said most popular RPG. If Tecmo-Koei has a more popular traditional RPG series, I'm not aware of it. Let's not get too caught up in semantics, though. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom