• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, Ridley and Rool should follow what Chrom did when he wasn't invited as a playable in Smash.

Join other crossovers! I mean, wouldn't you want an idol performer whose mirage is a purple dragon or an armored fat crocodile? Or have them be bosses in an SRPG that finally allowed big characters!

Chronoman

Banned
Thank god December will end all this.

Regardless of what characters we get, I want this incessant theorizing to end. Just tell us all the remaining characters. I am sure they will all not be terrible if we know K Rool and Inklings are high up on the ballot.

Boss Doggie

I always figure that if a character is high up in the ballots, they will never get in. Because that's just how breakfast food Japanese warrior works.

So no Wolf for me. :(

ffdgh

Thank god December will end all this.

Regardless of what characters we get, I want this incessant theorizing to end. Just tell us all the remaining characters. I am sure they will all not be terrible if we know K Rool and Inklings are high up on the ballot.

All the theorizing from the pre release hype threads(all 18+ of them) was one of the best parts of smash hype. Heck it still is now actually lol.

Boss Doggie

We also thought all of the theorizing would end when Smash 4 came out, yet here we are.

I doubt there will be an end of this after December.

georly

Breakfast food? Did you call mash potato breakfast food?

Funny how it's not, considering tons of other potato products are, like hash browns, tater tots, home fries.

We also thought all of the theorizing would end when Smash 4 came out, yet here we are.

I doubt there will be an end of this after December.

Might be the last direct that is NOTHING BUT smash bros. I'm sure we'll see more stuff in other directs/e3 directs, especially if ballot stuff is still 6+ months off.

georly

wait, it's not?

I'm not American or English so I'm assuming it is a breakfast meal like as georly said

No, mashed potatoes are a lunch/dinner thing only in the US.

This is the last major smash direct. They are going to lay out all the dlc. All we should get later on is release dates.

This is it.

Every smash direct has detailed more than just stages and characters, I'm pretty sure.

I'm guessing we'll get some final mode updates or even new modes. Hopefully fan-requested fixes for tournament mode.

NeonZ

This is the last major smash direct. They are going to lay out all the dlc. All we should get later on is release dates.

This is it.

Unless everything is released immediately after the next Smash Direct, I can't see everything being announced months in advance. Minor content like the Mii costumes probably only would be announced alongside the DLC upload, not months before.

Of course, if everything announced is released right after the Direct, it could be the end of it all.

Javier

There's no way the December Broadcast is the end of it all. It'll likely be the last time Sakurai gives us info directly, but I think they'll still save a couple of characters to be revealed next year on regular Directs.

It's also very unlikely they'd have all characters ready to be shown only two months after the end of the ballot.

Chronoman

Banned
I am not saying December is the end of all the dlc, I am saying they will announce what characters are coming. Later on we might get the trailer and a release date.

This is it. They are going to blow us away if this is the last one

Javier

I am not saying December is the end of all the dlc, I am saying they will announce what characters are coming. Later on we might get the trailer and a release date.

This is it. They are going to blow us away if this is the last one
*After seeing trailers for Wolf and Inkling*

Sakurai: "Oh yeah, we're also working on Shantae, Rayman and Banjo-Kazooie. We'll show those trailers in the future."

Dude, come on. Do you seriously think they'll just TELL us what characters are coming? Either have a trailer ready or show us nothing.

Dr. Buni

There's no way the December Broadcast is the end of it all. It'll likely be the last time Sakurai gives us info directly, but I think they'll still save a couple of characters to be revealed next year on regular Directs.

It's also very unlikely they'd have all characters ready to be shown only two months after the end of the ballot.
I don't see why the December broadcast can't be the end of it all. They might not have the characters ready to be shown, but it takes less than two months to come up with at least artworks for the characters. I am not saying it will definitely happen, but it's entirely possible that all remaining Smash 4 DLC is announced in a few weeks. Then they would show the trailers for the characters when the release date is close.
No, mashed potatoes are a lunch/dinner thing only in the US.
No? Mashed potatoes are a lunch/dinner thing in Brazil as well.

Chronoman

Banned
*After seeing trailers for Wolf and Inkling*

Sakurai: "Oh yeah, we're also working on Shantae, Rayman and Banjo-Kazooie. We'll show those trailers in the future."

Dude, come on. Do you seriously think they'll just TELL us what characters are coming? Either have a trailer ready or show us nothing.

That is exactly what I think. The DLC is wrapping up and the team will be disbanding soon. This gravy train will not last forever.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Has Tamaki said anything about Shovel Knight in a post-Cloud world? I asked him on Twitter, but he hasn't responded yet. Hopefully he's not avoiding the issue.

NotLiquid

Has Tamaki said anything about Shovel Knight in a post-Cloud world? I asked him on Twitter, but he hasn't responded yet. Hopefully he's not avoiding the issue.

When I had a private conversation with a friend on Twitter who didn't know about the SK rumor and I mentioned "Unseen64 guy spun a rumor about him" he showed up out of nowhere and went all "I didn't spin anything I just made a video on the Nintendo Life article"... even though he's the one who wrote that article in the first place.

I had a laugh that day.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
When I had a private conversation with a friend on Twitter who didn't know about the SK rumor and I mentioned "Unseen64 guy spun a rumor about him" he showed up out of nowhere and went all "I didn't spin anything I just made a video on the Nintendo Life article"... even though he's the one who wrote that article in the first place.

I had a laugh that day.
I'm not gonna make any comments on his character, I just want confirmation on him doubling down on his source. I would like to have SK in Smash, but if the rumour is smashed (hurdurr) I wanna know so that I can stop wasting my feelings. :(

EDIT: In other news yoooo this rogersbase podcast is nuts

I had a laugh that day.
If the SK amiibo stuff wasn't part of what he had 'inside info' on and he's claiming he never said SK was playable, what was his inside information meant to be in the first place?

Cloud really does make me think SK isn't happening, even if I still think he'd be pretty nifty.

NotLiquid

I'm not gonna make any comments on his character, I just want confirmation on him doubling down on his source. I would like to have SK in Smash, but if the rumour is smashed (hurdurr) I wanna know so that I can stop wasting my feelings. :(

EDIT: In other news yoooo this rogersbase podcast is nuts

Nah, I don't think he doubled down on it at all. He's just reporting on the news as it comes to begin with. I feel like the SK rumor is kind of busted if they're going to announce someone like Cloud this early.

edit: nvm I was a year off on the anniversary thing.

Javier

That is exactly what I think. The DLC is wrapping up and the team will be disbanding soon. This gravy train will not last forever.
Telling us everything that's coming in the December Broadcast is not going to wrap things up and disband the team any earlier.

TDLink

Once again it seems Chronoman has some sort of agenda. I really don't understand why.

It is not definite at all that December will be the last time we get DLC.

It is not definite at all that December will be the last time we hear about new content for Smash.

It is not definite at all that the team will disband in another month.

In fact, I find all three of those things incredibly unlikely.

All of this is predicated on a vague statement that the team would disband "soon"...half a year ago along with a blip in a press release about December having the last smash-focused stream. And that doesn't prevent content from being announced in normal Directs or elsewhere.

NeonZ

What if the ballot character is implemented as a clone? K.Rool as a slower Donkey Kong, just with new idle and running animations!

Chronoman

Banned
I have no agenda. I am just looking at what Sakurai said and what Nintendo said about this being the last smash direct.

"It is not definite at all that December will be the last time we get DLC." I never said this

"It is not definite at all that December will be the last time we hear about new content for Smash." I never said this either

"It is not definite at all that the team will disband in another month." Sakurai said there are only a few characters left.

Chronoman

Banned
I am not going to set my bar low and want characters like Wolf and Pichu back. We need focus on newer Nintendo characters that deserve a spot like Inklings and even a Rhythm Heaven rep.

Dr. Buni

I am not going to set my bar low and want characters like Wolf and Pichu back. We need focus on newer Nintendo characters that deserve a spot like Inklings and even a Rhythm Heaven rep.
If you look at the Smash 4 roster, you will notice that there's no such thing as a character deserving to be in Smash. The characters that get in Smash are the characters Nintendo and Sakurai want in Smash, regardless of they deserving or not to be in the game. Inklings will eventually be in Smash, I don't think anyone doubt that, but honestly expecting a RH rep, at this point, is setting yourself for disappointment. After all, it seems like that quote about the remaining DLC being fanservice was on point.

I only hope Banjo-Kazooie, Crash, Bomberman or any character I care about is part of the "fanservice".

Chronoman

Banned
If you look at the Smash 4 roster, you will notice that there's no such thing as a character deserving to be in Smash. The characters that get in Smash are the characters Nintendo and Sakurai want in Smash, regardless of they deserving or not to be in the game. Inklings will eventually be in Smash, I don't think anyone doubt that, but honestly expecting a RH rep, at this point, is setting yourself for disappointment. After all, it seems like that quote about the remaining DLC being fanservice was on point.

I only hope Banjo-Kazooie, Crash, Bomberman or any character I care about is part of the "fanservice".

Inklings would be fanservice considering how big the series has gotten. It will not be all third party characters if the ballot is used at all.

I do think December's going to be it, not just for Smash 4, but I could see it being the last time we see Smash content from Sakurai ever. Cloud in Smash Bros. almost feels like a mic drop.

If the SK amiibo stuff wasn't part of what he had 'inside info' on and he's claiming he never said SK was playable, what was his inside information meant to be in the first place?

Cloud really does make me think SK isn't happening, even if I still think he'd be pretty nifty.
I could have swore the inside source was supposedly an Amazon employee who saw the DLC on Amazon. Which, in that case, that doesn't make any sense, because Cloud would have been there too, and seriously, who's bigger news? Shovel Knight's dead in the water. But it is kind of funny that Tamaki would try to say he never said Shovel Knight would be playable. Guy's a fraud.

PushDustIn seems to still believe it, but his confidence in it has been shaken.

The Shovel Knight dudes are still being weird about the whole thing though. Still can't shake how suspicious that is.

I actually bought (the disc copy) SK due to the "leak" and I'm enjoying it a lot. I can really see why he'd make a good fit, gameplay wise, for Smash.

He's just such a minor character compared to other third parties.

But a Cloud/Wolf/SK end to Smash DLC would certainly be interesting.

RK128

My final guesses after thinking everything over from feedback/responses from you guys is the following:
-Wolf returns to Smash with a design mirroring his Brawl Look/Star Fox Zero appearence. Both versions come with a new SF Stage (maybe the one from Smash 64) but likely not.
-Snake has a high shot at returning due to both him not reqiuring a lot of work (could re-use a lot from Brawl) and due to him being a high request from the Smash Ballot
-Inkling either will appear in Smash now, or they will save the character for Smash 5. Inkling will come with both versions (Boy and Girl) alongside an Inkopolis stage.
-New Third Party Guest: Could be anyone (Level-5 Yo-Kai Watch Rep or Professor Layton, Another Sega/Bamco/Square Fighter, Ubisoft's Rayman, ect) but leaning on either a Yo-Kai being a playable fighter or someone else. I would personally love to see Banjo & Kazooie appear in Smash but not expecting that.
-Surprise Nintendo Character: Could be one of the people many voted during the Smash Ballot. Issac from Golden Sun, King K. Rool from DKC, or Paper Mario could fit this slot :).

Have we considered that the Shovel Knight amiibo may provide a mii swordfighter costume of said knight? because I've always thought that might happen more than SK himself being playable.
It would give the amiibo greater purpose after all seeing its limited usage.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Word on the street is that one of Cloud's music piece will be a Chocobo remix called King Dede de Chocobo.

Most of Reddit seems to have a fairly pessimistic view that Cloud will come with basically no music at all, like Ryu.

But looking at other third parties, Street Fighter is the exception, not the rule. Sonic, Metal Gear, Mega Man and Namco all have a large collection of diverse music.

Chronoman

Banned
Most of Reddit seems to have a fairly pessimistic view that Cloud will come with basically no music at all, like Ryu.

But looking at other third parties, Street Fighter is the exception, not the rule. Sonic, Metal Gear, Mega Man and Namco all have a large collection of diverse music.

I can see Cloud's stage having a decent amount of music actually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom