• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

batfax

For the record, here's a list of franchises (including single game IP) that have not yet had a playable character added to Smash Bros. I would say a fair few are more popular than RH, and yes I realize that some don't really have a viable playable character:

• 1080 Snowboarding
  • Advance Wars/Famicom Wars
  • Art Academy
  • Balloon Fight
  • Battalion Wars
  • Bayonetta**
  • Brain Age/Big Brain Academy
  • Captain Rainbow
  • Chibi Robo
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Codename: STEAM*
  • Cubivore
  • Custom Robo
  • Daigasso Band Brothers
  • Devil's Third*
  • Devil World
  • Dillon's Rolling Western
  • Disaster Day of Crisis
  • Doshin The Giant
  • Drill Dozer
  • Electroplankton
  • Endless Ocean
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Excite
  • Fatal Frame/Project Zero**
  • Flingsmash
  • Fluidity
  • Fossil Fighters
  • Freakyforms
  • For Who The Bell Tolls
  • Geist
  • Golden Sun
  • Gumshoe
  • Harmoknight
  • Hotel Dusk
  • Mach Rider
  • Magical Starsign
  • Meteos
  • Mole Mania
  • Mysterious Murasame Castle
  • Nintendogs
  • Odama
  • Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
  • Pandora's Tower
  • Panel de Pon
  • Picross
  • Pilotwings
  • Pushmo
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
  • Sakura Samurai
  • Sheriff
  • Shin Onigashima
  • Sin and Punishment
  • Soma Bringer
  • Splatoon*
  • StarTropics
  • Steel Diver
  • Style Savvy
  • The Last Story
  • The Legendary Starfy
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Trace Memory
  • Urban Champion
  • Wave Race
  • Wild Gunman
  • Zangeki no Reginleiv
*Only a few months old or not yet out
**Partial Ownership only

Forgive me if I missed something

Famicom Detective Club should be on that list because it would be amazing. Music alone would be great, really.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What planet do you live on where Chibi-Robo! and Elite Beat Agents are more popular than Rhythm Heaven? Those games barely sold anything. There hasn't been a new Wave Race in 13 years, and none of them outsold Rhythm Heaven DS. The same goes for Golden Sun (minus the 13 years part).

That planet called Drago World. :p

FSLink

Banned
I think RH wouldn't really be on nearly the level people put it on if not for the leak rumor. And even if it did get a character I would much prefer rhythm girl to CK personally.

No it wouldn't. But the idea's out there and people want to see it happen now.

As someone who loves crazy characters like Norimaro, Faust, Phoenix Wright... I can imagine tons of crazy moves a RH rep could have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKvgZI1CJq0
Tons of things you can pull out of here as a possible move.

This is really all I'm trying to say with all of these posts.

But it doesn't matter how or why people are clamoring for it. As long as it brings an interesting playstyle to the series, I say bring on the support and hopefully the character.

This is really all I'm trying to say with all of these posts.

I mean, I still disagree though.

Its more that an RH rep was a dream of many before the leak, but many were too scared to hope because they thought other characters were probably prioritized. Now that we know Sakurai was trying to include them, it makes being vocal about them a bit easier.

The idea was always around, it was just difficult to tell what Sakurai would do with it. Now that there's a "face to the name" the RH supporters are able to be more visible.

PBalfredo

Just trying to decide myself who to vote for is hard. There are a lot of characters I'd like to see in.

Inklings and Wonder Red are ones I'd like to see and should get a lot of other people voting for them.

Though in my heart of hearts, I want to see more Mother characters. The Masked Man is my dark horse favorite.

My third-party dark horse of choice would be Crono. In my mind he's the perfect throwback Square rep.

I'd also like to see Lyn as a full playable character, but knowing she'll be playable in PM is enough to tide me over.

Fat Goron

I don't even like Eternal Darkness, but Pious Augustus could be a nice and unique addition.

KOmxqeL.jpg

TDLink

Its more that an RH rep was a dream of many before the leak, but many were too scared to hope because they thought other characters were probably prioritized. Now that we know Sakurai was trying to include them, it makes being vocal about them a bit easier.

I guess the way I see it is that before the Smash Leak I never saw anyone really fan over RH at all other than saying that it was a fun little series. I know Fever (on Wii) got a lot of praise and I had fun with it too. But it was never a franchise that had people talking about it a ton like Advance Wars or Golden Sun or even other recent new stuff like Pandora's Tower or The Last Story.

I am still not opposed to the idea of the character getting in the game. I do think a fun and unique moveset could be made with the Chorus Kids.

Yeah, you also forget this gem.

SjxJi4q.jpg

I've never even heard of this.

Ryce

When I have been talking about popularity I haven't really been talking about sales numbers. I don't think that's a real indication of a character or franchise's long lasting popularity. RH is a very casual gamer appealing series, and it was on the DS (one of the best selling Nintendo systems). Of course it sold a ton because of those factors.

But people still want new Wave Races and Golden Suns. And people still want to see Isaac in Smash and Chibi Robo in Smash. These characters/franchises are continually brought up for a reason. They are still popular despite not having entries in a while.
Video games are products, so sales are a very straightforward indication of popularity. If something sells, it’s popular; if it doesn’t sell, it isn’t popular. There’s been a new Rhythm Heaven game every few years since its introduction in 2006.

Isaac is a popular Smash Bros. character request on message boards, but Golden Sun is not a more popular series than Rhythm Heaven. Those are two very different statements.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk though: Figuratively speaking, if we were to choose one character from Square Enix that still has some sort of history with Nintendo, who would it be? Would it be just an iconic asset of Square like Black Mage, Chocobo, or Moogle? Would it be a specific character like Geno, Crono, or someone from Bravely Default?

FSLink

Banned
I guess the way I see it is that before the Smash Leak I never saw anyone really fan over RH at all other than saying that it was a fun little series. I know Fever (on Wii) got a lot of praise and I had fun with it too. But it was never a franchise that had people talking about it a ton like Advance Wars or Golden Sun or even other recent new stuff like Pandora's Tower or The Last Story.

I am still not opposed to the idea of the character getting in the game. I do think a fun and unique moveset could be made with the Chorus Kids.

And that's fine, but your posts almost sound like you think it's a bad thing people are more interested in a RH rep because of the leak (I know that's not your intention). The leak got more people outside of the hardcore RH fans excited that a RH rep is plausible.

StuntRace FX is amazing. :3

Real talk though: Figuratively speaking, if we were to choose one character from Square Enix that still has some sort of history with Nintendo, who would it be? Would it be just an iconic asset of Square like Black Mage, Chocobo, or Moogle? Would it be a specific character like Geno, Crono, or someone from Bravely Default?

I'd say Chrono or an NES/SNES era FF character would be best.

What are the top 10 most wanted third parties in no particular order? (Not including Goku, lol)

Bomberman, Banjo Kazooie, Simon Belmont, Shovel Knight, Snake, Phoenix Wright, Bayonetta, Rayman, Professor Layton and who else?

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
What are the top 10 most wanted third parties in no particular order? (Not including Goku, lol)

Bomberman, Banjo Kazooie, Simon Belmont, Shovel Knight, Snake, Phoenix Wright, Bayonetta, Rayman, Professor Layton and who else?

Shantae is up there as an indie character, probably up there with Shovel Knight.

The idea was always around, it was just difficult to tell what Sakurai would do with it. Now that there's a "face to the name" the RH supporters are able to be more visible.

I don't think it's some romantic pint up desire or w/e. People can be stupidly easy to understand sometime.

I think it's as easy as people trying to rationalize the CKs when the leak rumor happened. That rationalization of something they didn't expect just carried on in these pocket samples on the webs.

TDLink

Video games are products, so sales are a very straightforward indication of popularity. If something sells, it’s popular; if it doesn’t sell, it isn’t popular. There’s been a new Rhythm Heaven game every few years since its introduction in 2006.

Isaac is a popular Smash Bros. character request on message boards, but Golden Sun is not a more popular series than Rhythm Heaven. Those are two very different statements.

I see what you're saying and yes I know video games are products and sales are a decent indicator. But there are aspects to popularity that have nothing to do with sales. Just because RH DS sold well does not mean those are all (or mostly) the same people who buy Smash Bros. There is audience crossover but they are not inherently the same audiences.

It probably would be Crono if it is a specific character as Chrono Trigger is a pretty iconic SNES game. If it comes to a specific FF character then you basically have to choose between the different entries. So if it comes from FF it is more likely to be an iconic non-game-specific sort of character. Like you say, Chocobo or Moogle or something.

And that's fine, but your posts almost sound like you think it's a bad thing people are more interested in a RH rep because of the leak (I know that's not your intention). The leak got more people outside of the hardcore RH fans excited that a RH rep is plausible.

Right, you understand that isn't how I am intending to come across. And I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone with my posts or giving the impression that a RH character is an inherently bad idea. It's not my intention.

Neoxon

What planet do you live on where Chibi-Robo! and Elite Beat Agents are more popular than Rhythm Heaven? Those games barely sold anything. There hasn't been a new Wave Race in 13 years, and none of them outsold Rhythm Heaven DS. The same goes for Golden Sun (minus the 13 years part).
tumblr_inline_nb5jk5v5hl1r287bx.gif

I think at the end of the day no franchises on that list got an enemy in Smash Run. And RH is at least as popular as most of those, and more popular than most.

RH is pretty significant. Plus, it brings along with it lots of opportunities for other great content (music, stages, etc).
ba87ae0b37d9010425208c9b10c63ef2.jpg

believing rhythm heaven doesn't have a certain level of popularity among some crowd and trying to justify things appearing otherwise with reasons other than popularity doesn't seem like a cycle that will get anyone anywhere

for me, personally, i don't set any hopes when it comes to smash bros characters, and just sorta enjoy whatever comes. hearing that there was a very real possibility a rhythm heaven character could get in got me excited, and gave me some comfort in having those hopes, so you're right in that sense. other than that, i do think there was a good deal of support/predictions for a rhythm heaven character prior to release, but because there was no standout candidate as a representative for the series, the issue was that it was pretty segmented

as to where it ranks relative to other series concerning who "deserves" a playable character, i don't really have anything to say on that front, lol. i couldn't possibly make that sort of judgement (if it's even possible to do so)

RomanceDawn

What do you guys make of all this for the next game?

One aspect is that obviously who ever we don't get from this poll will probably be taken into heavy consideration for the next game.

Now that's just on the surface stuff, what about the actual creation of a brand new game? Characters take roughly a year to make according to Sakurai so you have to imagine they will be working on this well into 2016. The NX seems like it's just around the corner and Sakurai will probably have a year or 2 break in between titles. I have a feeling Smash Wii U/3DS will get some sort of turbo version for the NX. Same basic gameplay engine, stages from both games combined, all the DLC characters plus 8-12 more. Along with a few new modes stages and music but nothing on the scale like a whole new game.

I don't particularly mind that scenario either. I feel like I have almost everything I want in Smash and don't want to move on completely in just a few years.

Gartooth

I think at the end of the day no franchises on that list got an enemy in Smash Run. And RH is at least as popular as most of those, and more popular than most.

RH is pretty significant. Plus, it brings along with it lots of opportunities for other great content (music, stages, etc).

RH getting an enemy in Smash Run doesn't amount to much. RH also didn't get an AT while multiple IPs on that list did.

Voted for:

Takamaru
Mike Jones
Lip
Wonderful Ones/Wonder Red
Inklings
Anna (Fire Emblem)
Lyn
King K Rool
Viridi
Medusa
Daisy
Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)
Impa
Shantae
Ashley
Captain Syrup
Snake
Nice to see someone else post Lyn as a choice. I like that she's in the game but if we do get another Fire Emblem character in Smash, I'd rather it be her or someone else from an older game in the series. I like Awakening, don't get me wrong, but we have two reps from that game so I'd rather see someone no one (or less people) know of that could get a whole new fanbase. I'd like to see Lyn move up from Assist Trophy but I won't complain if it's someone else.

Also, how many people have voted for Toad? Seriously, it has to be his time to shine.

Gartooth

Also, how many people have voted for Toad? Seriously, it has to be his time to shine.

I did. I was pretty disappointed that he got glossed over again, especially because we got a ton of new Mario content in the 3DS + Wii U versions. I don't really care which version of him they go for at this point, although I think Captain Toad is more likely than standard Toad due to his abilities being much more unique to his own character instead of sharing abilities with Mario and Luigi.

Simbabbad

If I were Nintendo, I'd use Smash DLC as a way to hype up new games. Like, when Splatoon releases, add an Inklings DLC, etc.

RH getting an enemy in Smash Run doesn't amount to much. RH also didn't get an AT while multiple IPs on that list did.

Considering that all series with enemies in Smash Run were, by all evidence available, supposed to have a playable character, that makes it significant. I have a feeling RH and Ice Climbers would've had an AT as well had their characters not been cut.

Shantae is up there as an indie character, probably up there with Shovel Knight.

I really think people are over looking Shantea.

I mean, she's a indie GB era character that's been nearly Nintendo exclusive for most all her run. Ontop of that she has a legion of 18k+ fans willing to pay 700k+ for her game to be made even though the series was coming out with another game around that time (I still don't know why she needed a KS but good for them I guess).
And to cap it off, they just asked their legion of 18k+ devoted fans who are willing to fund their game to vote for her. That's 1000s of people who may never step foot in a smash topic being asked to show their support on a poll no one can see.

That's pretty damn powerful.

IMO they have all the hugely "iconic" 3rd party characters they could ask for ... any others are not going to be iconic and may very well be selected on different merits. That's the fun thing about this, there's no Sonic or MM to be the "Well DUH!!" pick the waste the poll and the poll never outlined rules that would keep people from voting for whoever they want. I wouldn't be shocked to see Goku or some indie 3rd party character or something.

L Thammy

I knew I would have forgotten something.

If multiple games are the qualification for being a series on that list, Battle Clash + Metal Combat is another one.
If you're including one-off IPs, Nintendo has like a zillion of those, lots of Japanese-only ones. Look up Time Twist; it's pretty crazy.

EDIT: Actually, Time Twist is a pretty appropriate game to talk about right now considering that it involves Jesus.

I did. I was pretty disappointed that he got glossed over again, especially because we got a ton of new Mario content in the 3DS + Wii U versions. I don't really care which version of him they go for at this point, although I think Captain Toad is more likely than standard Toad due to his abilities being much more unique to his own character instead of sharing abilities with Mario and Luigi.
Awesome and agreed that Captain Toad would be a likely choice. People will bring up the "but he can't jump" argument but whatever, he'll jump his little heart out to be in Smash.

The only ones here that have a decent chance are Dixie Kong, King K. Rool and Inkling.

Just saying, it was said by a mod that talking down other people's votes is frowned upon, just be careful. Besides, it's Smash Bros. Let people dream what the want to dream :B

And I actually think now is the perfect time for Inklings. If they wait till Smash 5, that'll be in 2020 or something. By then Splatoon will still definitely be around, but I feel that it won't be as fresh and exciting.

I'm actually rooting for them really avidly for DLC.

L Thammy

why do people vote Captain N? he's a tv series character not a video game one.

He's still a Nintendo thing though. I never watched the show so I don't have any affection for it, but the crossover concept is almost like a predecessor to Smash Bros. It's not surprising that people want to put the two together.

Zalman

Just saying, it was said by a mod that talking down other people's votes is frowned upon, just be careful. Besides, it's Smash Bros. Let people dream what the want to dream :B

And I actually think now is the perfect time for Inklings. If they wait till Smash 5, that'll be in 2020 or something. By then Splatoon will still definitely be around, but I feel that it won't be as fresh and exciting.

I'm actually rooting for them really avidly for DLC.
It's not that I don't want those characters. I just don't think characters like Captain Rainbow have any chance. I feel like he's even more obscure than Takamaru. Inkling makes a lot of sense though.

Platy

For the record, here's a list of franchises (including single game IP) that have not yet had a playable character added to Smash Bros. I would say a fair few are more popular than RH, and yes I realize that some don't really have a viable playable character:

• 1080 Snowboarding
  • Advance Wars/Famicom Wars
  • Art Academy
  • Balloon Fight
  • Battalion Wars
  • Bayonetta**
  • Brain Age/Big Brain Academy
  • Captain Rainbow
  • Chibi Robo
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Codename: STEAM*
  • Cubivore
  • Custom Robo
  • Daigasso Band Brothers
  • Devil's Third*
  • Devil World
  • Dillon's Rolling Western
  • Disaster Day of Crisis
  • Doshin The Giant
  • Drill Dozer
  • Electroplankton
  • Endless Ocean
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Excite
  • Fatal Frame/Project Zero**
  • Flingsmash
  • Fluidity
  • Fossil Fighters
  • Freakyforms
  • For Who The Bell Tolls
  • Geist
  • Golden Sun
  • Gumshoe
  • Harmoknight
  • Hotel Dusk
  • Mach Rider
  • Magical Starsign
  • Meteos
  • Mole Mania
  • Mysterious Murasame Castle
  • Nintendogs
  • Odama
  • Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
  • Pandora's Tower
  • Panel de Pon
  • Picross
  • Pilotwings
  • Pushmo
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
  • Sakura Samurai
  • Sheriff
  • Shin Onigashima
  • Sin and Punishment
  • Soma Bringer
  • Splatoon*
  • StarTropics
  • Steel Diver
  • Style Savvy
  • The Last Story
  • The Legendary Starfy
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Trace Memory
  • Urban Champion
  • Wave Race
  • Wild Gunman
  • Zangeki no Reginleiv
*Only a few months old or not yet out
**Partial Ownership only

Forgive me if I missed something

My 3 votes aren't on the list =P

Captain N is a cartoon, Hanafuda cards are ... cards and Diskun is a console mascot.

I would love to see more references to Nintendo non-gaming past ... like that baseball ball trowing thing and other toys. Maybe a mix of everything in one fighter ?

It's not that I don't want those characters. I just don't think characters like Captain Rainbow have any chance. I feel like he's even more obscure than Takamaru. Inkling makes a lot of sense though.

Yeah, I understand. I just remember a mod coming in here and telling everyone to "vote and let vote," if you will :p

But yeah, I think Captain Rainbow is a pretty far out choice.

Merc_

why do people vote Captain N? he's a tv series character not a video game one.

He's a joke choice, much like Goku is. I'd laugh if one of them actually got in though. SmashGAF would be so mad and it'd be funny as hell.

I've never played the game Shantae is in. Is it any good?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Captain N has less chance than a Unirally/racer unicycle getting in as a fighter and that game was sued out of existence!

TDLink

If multiple games are the qualification for being a series on that list, Battle Clash + Metal Combat is another one.
If you're including one-off IPs, Nintendo has like a zillion of those, lots of Japanese-only ones. Look up Time Twist; it's pretty crazy.

EDIT: Actually, Time Twist is a pretty appropriate game to talk about right now considering that it involves Jesus.

I was including one-off IPs, including Japanese only ones. But I guess I missed a few. At the very least I am positive I included most (if not all) of the ones that have any sort of chance to ever get a character in the game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
ay!!!

Though I'd like Chibi-Robo and EBA in as characters before a RH character (personal preference) I don't think I ever called either series more important than RH... pretty sure I've argued the opposite before.

I meant in your world, you would have make those franchise more popular than other games. ;P

TDLink

My 3 votes aren't on the list =P

Captain N is a cartoon, Hanafuda cards are ... cards and Diskun is a console mascot.

I would love to see more references to Nintendo non-gaming past ... like that baseball ball trowing thing and other toys. Maybe a mix of everything in one fighter ?

ROB sort of already takes the spot of not actually a character becoming a character. Though he was also in Mario Kart DS and a version of him (sort of) has been in the Star Fox series.

That said, ROB existing certainly makes it that we can't rule all of those out.

Personally I find Hanafuda unlikely since Master Hand/Crazy Hand already uses the cards in their moveset. Captain N might have some licensing issues too, but I'm not really sure.

In general I am sure actual video game characters will appear before they seriously consider these guys though.

As for indie third parties like Shantae and Shovel Knight, I think so many are great choices, but I just don't know that Smash is the place for them. Honestly, I think it would make more sense for there to be an indie character fighting game with a couple guests like Mario.

It's just that, if you start allowing any indie character in just because they're in a great game and they have a large presence on Nintendo platforms, then you have a lot of candidates. And while I certainly love these characters and their games, I don't know that Smash is the place for them.

I'm certainly not a 3rd party guest prude, but I think it warrants special consideration.

I've never played the game Shantae is in. Is it any good?

All 3 - Shantae for Game Boy Color, Shantae: Risky's Revenge for DSiWare, and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse for 3DS - are available on the 3DS eShop, plus Risky's Revenge is on Steam and Pirate's Curse is on Wii U. All 3 are PRETTY GOOD. Pirate's Curse is very Metroid, it's great, one of my favourites of the year so far.

She is by a fucking MILE the most deserving character from an independent studio to make it into a game like Smash Bros.. Years of consistently lovely games for Nintendo systems. Plus she'd bring some much-needed racial diversity to the roster.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Personally I find Hanafuda unlikely since Master Hand/Crazy Hand already uses the cards in their moveset. Captain N might have some licensing issues too, but I'm not really sure.
Characters share/have similar moves and you can't even play as Master/Crazy Hand so I don't think their card move would have any impact on a new fighter using cards as a move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom