• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Just for fun if you had to put a non video game character in who would it be?

I'd go with James Bond. Would be cool to have Pierce Brosnan as the main one and then other Bonds as skins. One I'd think would make most sense would be Mickey Mouse. That's all I've got. Was also entertaining the thought of Tony Hawks. =p

super_smash_bros__for_3ds_wii_u__heisei_godzilla_by_the493darkrai-d7s8vzv.png

Fat Goron

I'd be genuinely interested in seeing how Paper Mario would play...

Smash A^ - Bombette's Explosion
Smash A> - Koops' Shell Toss
Smash Av - Watt's Power Shock

Bo - Lakilester's Spiny Egg Throw
B^ - Airplane "Curse"
B> - Madame Flurrie's Wind Blow
Bv - Vivian's Veil

Grab - Throreau Pixl

Final Smash - Fan Sticker

Platy

Personally I find Hanafuda unlikely since Master Hand/Crazy Hand already uses the cards in their moveset. Captain N might have some licensing issues too, but I'm not really sure.

In general I am sure actual video game characters will appear before they seriously consider these guys though.

Okay sure, but what character would you give the cards as a moveset? Do you expect a deck of hanafuda cards to be a character on their own? Would they make like a Nintendo Guy to use the cards and also like the Ultra Hand or something?

I was thinking more of a walking Deck of cards that trow cards with special proprieties representing diferent cards.

They could even use the Mario variation and make each card summon or do something related to the character

6miLPdB.jpg

The deck could be someone like SF4's Seth and use the moveset of Mario, DK, Wario, Peach, Bowser, Luigi and Yoshi because they all have cards.

That continues to be defeated by Star fox team including Falco haha. I just think Falco is the coolest character who is better than Fox himself, but isn't a good enough leader. It's all good though, Falco is my dude since Melee days.

edit: First post boyssssss lol

When you put it like that, it seems so obvious - Falco is clearly the Raphael to Fox's Leonardo! Slightly tougher and slightly more skilled, but so reckless and prone to outbursts that Fox's superior leadership skills and cool head balance out their qualities and make them more or less even.

I do like Falco more than Wolf as a character, but I have to say that Wolf would have made a far better second Star Fox rep than Falco in Smash 4 in terms of giving the roster a better, more diverse spread of characters and moves. Wolf is much, much farther removed from being a straight-up Fox clone than Falco is, but Falco got priority simply because of his longer Smash history and strong fan following.

Good thing we're probably going to have them both in the roster by the end of summer!

I'd go with James Bond. Would be cool to have Pierce Brosnan as the main one and then other Bonds as skins. One I'd think would make most sense would be Mickey Mouse. That's all I've got. Was also entertaining the thought of Tony Hawks. =p

latest

It's gotta be the Man in Black/Fake Locke from Lost! I mean, the dude can literally turn into a giant cloud of smoke/smoke monster that absolutely wrecks and mangles anything it comes into contact with, and he could have two different "transformations" with different move sets as Fake Locke and the original Man in Black.

This will be lost on you if you've never watched Lost, but any of my fellow hardcore Lost fans here can vouch for how cool this would be. ;)

Gartooth

Non-gaming character for Smash? I think Mickey Mouse, Scrooge McDuck, and Popeye might all make good fits. Personally I have no idea who I would want though. lol

RomanceDawn

Anybody else wonder how all this DLC is going to affect the next game? I feel like so much work is going into this game that we won't get a full sequel for the NX but some sort of Turbo version. I wouldn't mind that either.

Ryce

Anybody else wonder how all this DLC is going to affect the next game? I feel like so much work is going into this game that we won't get a full sequel for the NX but some sort of Turbo version. I wouldn't mind that either.
"All this DLC" will probably end up equating to 4-6 characters, a bunch of Mii costumes, and a few stages. That's not enough to cut into a prospective 2019-2020 Smash Bros. in any significant way. There will still be a lot of requested characters to use for a sequel, as well as characters who don't even exist yet (future Pokémon, new IP, and so on).

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member

There's only so many characters you can add to Smash before reaching MUGEN levels, with characters much more difficult to balance. Stages you can add a bunch of, music and items too. I think we're starting to reach the peak. If this isn't the last Smash game, the next one might be. We're reaching bottom of the barrel for characters (unless new stars arrive between now and then). One would think that, with as much DLC and updates this game is getting despite earlier talks suggesting otherwise, we might not see another Smash for almost a decade, but this one will continue to be updated with characters, stages, items, music, patches, etc.

Neither of which I would mind. More Smash is good Smash.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's gotta be the Man in Black/Fake Locke from Lost! I mean, the dude can literally turn into a giant cloud of smoke/smoke monster that absolutely wrecks and mangles anything it comes into contact with, and he could have two different "transformations" with different move sets as Fake Locke and the original Man in Black.

This will be lost on you if you've never watched Lost, but any of my fellow hardcore Lost fans here can vouch for how cool this would be. ;)

Man, it would be so broken. It only have one weakness. >.>

That's what I'm thinking, and I think I did made a post somewhere in this thread.

Crownjo

macho-man-randy-savage-1_crop_north.jpg

J@hranimo

Banned

The next game will probably be Smash 7, cause as far as I'm concerned this IS becoming "Smash 6" lol :p

Captain N would get my vote for non-videogame character.

You're damn right he is. Also, Krillin has my favorite move.

Well, fuck you.
Being a bat is not the problem, is her shitty design from like she came from the deepest parts of devianart hell. I even prefer Rougue from sonic, and thats not a good design either.

I wish Mewtwo came with more Pokemon CDs

This song needs to be in Smash. I was disappointed it wasn't in Brawl and now here's a high quality remix just waiting to be ripped and added.

Then we'd just need Suicune's theme from Crystal/Soul Silver. Vs Ho-Oh is great too.

Wouldn't mind a GB rip of this masterpiece
. Another song I'm super surprised was never remixed. We need more chiptune rips, it's so weird we don't have many, I really like hearing the original NES/GB versions of songs.

They really need a poll for more CDs. Heck, I'd buy music packs even if they were mostly just rips lol.

Let's say Shantae had an actual chance.

How would they handle her... uhh... appearance in Smash. It's fine in tiny 2D sprites, but in 3D it would uhh... probably cause a rating issue.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even know why WayForward bothered to have fans vote for Shantae then. Sakurai might have no clue who these characters even are. If Nintendo published the games on eShop and handled Japanese localization it would make a stronger case for them.

I didn't even think about that. If neither Shovel Knight or Shantae are even KNOWN about in Japan, then their chances are null and void. Think about it: Lucas had a lot of trouble getting in and is in based purely on his Brawl fame. Takamaru was axed because he was a more obscure Japan Only release. Imagine Shantae and Shovel Knight, not only being indie characters (therefor 3rd party), but have never been released in Japan...put two and two together. Diddy is the only Western made character in the roster, you know.

At least my man K Rool is popular in both polls.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member

How would they handle her... uhh... appearance in Smash. It's fine in tiny 2D sprites, but in 3D it would uhh... probably cause a rating issue.

Would it be any more lewd than Sports Bra Samus? I'd say that's relatively tame, both her and Shantae compared to say...Cia. But then again, no Tharja trophy either.

Gartooth

I didn't even think about that. If neither Shovel Knight or Shantae are even KNOWN about in Japan, then their chances are null and void. Think about it: Lucas had a lot of trouble getting in and is in based purely on his Brawl fame. Takamaru was axed because he was a more obscure Japan Only release. Imagine Shantae and Shovel Knight, not only being indie characters (therefor 3rd party), but have never been released in Japan...put two and two together. Diddy is the only Western made character in the roster, you know.

At least my man K Rool is popular in both polls.

Didn't NoA also consider removing Marth and Roy from the American release of Melee for this reason as well? That seems like a huge barrier for audiences regardless of what side of the pond they are on.

Well we never got MOTHER 3, so it's payback time >:)

Well at least people here had the chance to play that in an English fan patch, although for the general audience it doesn't make a difference...

I thought this post was about Krystal.
Krystal is as bad as a design character as fox, falco and wolf. So for me its not badly design. Its a totally different thing what the furry community does with her, but her design is not even near as bad as something like Barbara.

What does it make her bad? That she is a fox with tits? Of course, is an antrophomorphic representation of a female character.
That like arguing that Fox has a male body and slippy toad looks like a fat kid.

Gartooth

God I wish we could get Gamecube VC at some point. I missed out on Star Fox Adventures and still want to play it someday despite the negative reception.

Krystal seems interesting though. I think the backlash against her character might have to do with Rare playing up her "sex appeal" for laughs in SFA from what I've seen.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yeah this too, big time. I mean, fuck new characters full stop. If Mario Kart 8 can get a 200cc line of code, give me a goddamn stage hazard toggle in Smash 4.

This is a good option that should be easy to implement.

Something else that would be great is additional options and features added to the stage builder.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't NoA also consider removing Marth and Roy from the American release of Melee for this reason as well? That seems like a huge barrier for audiences regardless of what side of the pond they are on.

Then again, if they HAD removed both of them, I'm sure Fire Emblem would have had a much harder time picking up steam in the West if they could at all. Now it's one of the more well known and popular Nintendo IPs, and in no small part to Awakening's success. So I have no doubt that, if either Shantae or Shovel Knight were put in Smash and had their games localized to Japan, they'd take off there too.

Edit: And to an extent Lucas's popularity now in the West. I'm telling you, a spot on Smash is an instant claim to fame and can revive whole series, or in Pit's case call for an entire reboot! It's no secret that a position on the Smash roster is prestigious for any Nintendo character or third party.

... Not sure why people say stuff like "chance". The guy either picks em or not. I say her "chances" are as decent as any character being voted on given the nature of things (long history with Nintendo, company is openingly campaigning for her cause they want this, her large fanbase has been asked to vote, a great "indie" pick seeing as there are no more iconic 3rd party picks that don't play 2nd banana to the ones we have and the voting is WW so the west wanting her can spark interest in him) and our lack of info on just wth they will do with these votes.

Her outfit is no more ratings worrying than this...
zssfusionwiiu.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Are any of my picks likely (in order of preference), haven't voted yet:

Viewtiful Joe
Simon Belmont
Paper Mario
Inkling Girl
Captain Toad
Kaeru
Goemon
Snake
Ryu
Marco Rossi
Bayonetta
Leonardo
The Lego character

Zubz

Banned
I wish Mewtwo came with more Pokemon CDs

This song needs to be in Smash. I was disappointed it wasn't in Brawl and now here's a high quality remix just waiting to be ripped and added.

Then we'd just need Suicune's theme from Crystal/Soul Silver. Vs Ho-Oh is great too.

Wouldn't mind a GB rip of this masterpiece
. Another song I'm super surprised was never remixed. We need more chiptune rips, it's so weird we don't have many, I really like hearing the original NES/GB versions of songs.

They really need a poll for more CDs. Heck, I'd buy music packs even if they were mostly just rips lol.

I can do without more chiptune rips, but I'd also welcome them. I'd love for more music in general, personally. Thanks to XY, we have a high quality remix of the Champion's Theme, anyway.

It makes way more sense now why all the Japanese voters were confused at who the hell Shovel Knight was. lol

Yeah, that'd say a lot... I thought they got Shantae, but maybe I'm mistaken. Either way, this does kind of significantly dash their chances, though I won't give up hope for either!

Are any of my picks likely (in order of preference), haven't voted yet:

Viewtiful Joe
Simon Belmont
Paper Mario
Inkling Girl
Captain Toad
Kaeru
Goemon
Snake
Ryu
Marco Rossi
Bayonetta
Leonardo
The Lego character

I don't know who Kaeru is, but (s)he likely hasn't been mentioned. Marco definitely hasn't, and now I want to add him, personally.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Gonna remind again that there are no "official" results on poll, and various charts are purely just made up. Same with that wordpress guy, who only uses very small samples. Never trust any pie charts or graphs that comes out, regardless of its source.

This is "Japanese thinks Legendary Godzilla is fat" levels of ignorance.

Nanashrew

Banned
Gonna remind again that there are no "official" results on poll, and various charts are purely just made up. Same with that wordpress guy, who only uses very small samples. Never trust any pie charts or graphs that comes out, regardless of its source.

This is "Japanese thinks Legendary Godzilla is fat" levels of ignorance.

Still fun to read the translations. I remember the translations for Ike's reveal and how 2ch was saying he looked like a gorilla. It was great.

Voting for Wolf is throwing away your vote mostly because he's likely coming back anyway as the DLC between Lucas and when the ballot ends to tie into Star Fox U. Those two characters were the ones were unlike the Pokemon transformations, Ice Climbers or Snake likely had little to no reasons beyond development priorities to get the game out before 2014's end as to why they were cut.

LOL

338 :なまえをいれてください:2015/04/03(金) 20:55:24.79 ID:UoarDloG
外人はいつでも全力やな。俺も嬉しいけど泣きはせんわw
Foreigners always put all their power into it. I’m happy, but I’m not going to cry about it (ha).

Stella from Xenophobia:

ojRVZFK.jpg

fNOXKcx.jpg

She is a alien in the book Xenophobia, one of my all time favorite books. Theres actually hundreds of little creatures in "her" that are very tiny to humans as what you see in the picture is basically their home, they travel through the entire body. A mobile tank thats around human size that has a shield mode to protect its core (them) from danger. It would be a fascinating edition and I highly urge everyone to read the book.

So Japanese people have no idea what a Shovel Knight is.

And also they want Roy and Pichu. And Bandana Waddle Dee
The Shovel Knight hope is dead. D: How can the not know this masterpiece!?

I'll take Bandana Dee tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom