• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I could only imagine Awkward Zombie Roy's dismay if Pichu was ever revealed but not him. He feels bad enough that Mewtwo and Dr. Mario are back and not him.

comic377.png
Wait until Wolf returns from the Beach Planet to join the battle.

ffdgh

I could only imagine Awkward Zombie Roy's dismay if Pichu was ever revealed but not him. He feels bad enough that Mewtwo and Dr. Mario are back and not him.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/AZComics/comic377.png[/MG][/QUOTE]

Let's not forget part 2 :P

[IMG]https://s3.amazonaws.com/AZComics/comic378.png

Crayolan

Banjo is owned by a direct competitor. Goku isn't. As far as I'm concerned, it's no different than adding Nathan Drake or Kratos to the game. Nintendo would gain absolutely nothing from it.

There's money to gain. Banjo is the type of character a lot of Nintendo fans would love, has a strong history on Nintendo consoles, is a fairly big name, and already got an OK from Spencer. Seems like a good candidate if he were to win the poll.

That won't happen, but he still seems to be in a better standing to get in than most 3rd parties.

tkscz

So does anyone know if Nintendo will choose/consider the most voted character, or the most voted characters (Like the top 3 or so)?

They didn't say. Hell, it may not even be the most voted character, it may be something like a character with a lot of votes that they want as well and i easy to add to the game.

Gartooth

So does anyone know if Nintendo will choose/consider the most voted character, or the most voted characters (Like the top 3 or so)?

I think we can assume that whoever ultimately gets in the game isn't the result of only topping the poll, otherwise there wouldn't be the "why should this character be playable" text box attached.

There's money to gain. Banjo is the type of character a lot of Nintendo fans would love, has a strong history on Nintendo consoles, is a fairly big name, and already got an OK from Spencer. Seems like a good candidate if he were to win the poll.

That won't happen, but he still seems to be in a better standing to get in than most 3rd parties.

I think Snake will be the most requested 3rd party. Too bad, as I'd really like to see Bomberman though.

In other news, I decided to make a list of common reasons why a character won't make it in for Smash 4 DLC.

Already in:
1. The character is already in the game as a playable fighter.
2. The character is already in the game as an assist trophy.
3. The character is already in the game as a stage boss.
4. The character can appear in the arena, in some other form (Final Smash, Enemy, Pokeball, etc).
Not a Special Snowflake:
5. The character would fight too similar to a different character.
6. The character has no defining / unique traits in general.
7. The character’s most likely move-set wouldn’t work in Smash.
8. The character has no, “fighting spirit”.
Too….
9. The character is too erotic/ would need to be heavily censored.
10. The character is known to be big, compared to other fighter(s).
11. The character is known to be small, compared to other fighter(s).
12. The character doesn’t work due to technical limitations.
Unknown Issues
13. The character is generally unknown.
14. The character is unknown in America.
15. The character is unknown in Japan.
16. The character is unknown in Europe.
Representation Issues
17.The character has been dropped from consideration in the past.
18.The series has too many fighting characters already.
19. The series is not popular enough to warrant (additional) representation.
20. The character is not important within the game universe
21. The creator of the character won’t allow their character in Smash.
22. The character is not iconic enough.
3rd Party Issues
23. The (third party) character has only one game.
24. The (third party) company already has one character in the game.
25. The character does not have a strong association with Nintendo.
26. The character does not have a strong association with video games.
27. It’s fucking Goku.

Should make going through all the characters easier.

They didn't say. Hell, it may not even be the most voted character, it may be something like a character with a lot of votes that they want as well and i easy to add to the game.

I think we can assume that whoever ultimately gets in the game isn't the result of only topping the poll, otherwise there wouldn't be the "why should this character be playable" text box attached.

Yeah, probably that too.

TheOGB

Banned
As I understand it there's no guarantee either way. They'll probably look at the results of the survey, see where interest is and what they can work with.

Crayolan

I think Snake will be the most requested 3rd party. Too bad, as I'd really like to see Bomberman though.

In other news, I decided to make a list of common reasons why a character won't make it in for Smash 4 DLC.

Should make going through all the characters easier.

I agree with this all, especially the representation and 3rd party issues.

I know people will argue 11 because of Olimar/Kirby but for them their actual sizes don't matter within their games, their universes just so happen to be tiny, which is why they can get away with it. For a character like Chibi-Robo, it's not the same. Chibi-Robo is defined by its tiny size and so unless they could make a super-tiny fighter it probably wouldn't work or be poorly represented.

MagnesD3

Man Im super curious to see how this turns out. I really really hope nintendo makes a ton of money off of this so this game receives continued DLC support.

I agree with this all, especially the representation and 3rd party issues.

I know people will argue 11 because of Olimar/Kirby but for them their actual sizes don't matter within their games, their universes just so happen to be tiny, which is why they can get away with it. For a character like Chibi-Robo, it's not the same. Chibi-Robo is defined by its tiny size and so unless they could make a super-tiny fighter it probably wouldn't work or be poorly represented.

Exactly. I would like Chibi-Robo, but I feel that because Chibi-Robo is known to be small, (Hell, it's part of its' name!) then it wouldn't make sense as a fighter. But, as an assist trophy though; I'm on board 100%.

Sponge

Banned
Wouldn't it be some shit if Nintendo released "Ultimate Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS" once all the DLC and patches have been released?

Only if NX is an actual console and they port it over to that or something.

Also, My friend Sean is working on a render for Banjo since the Phil Spencer tweet happened. What do you guys think of it so far?

hJutHoU.jpg

Also, My friend Sean is working on a render for Banjo since the Phil Spencer tweet happened. What do you guys think of it so far?

hJutHoU.jpg

Better then the nuts and bolts one so......YES.

Nanashrew

Banned

hJutHoU.jpg

Classic Banjo all the way! Looks great!

hJutHoU.jpg

Amazing so far. :) Can't wait to see the final product!

Zalman

Personally, I don't want to see too many third-party characters in Smash. I feel like they have a perfect trio right now. Super iconic characters across the board. Adding people like Professor Layton or Shovel Knight would just seem weird to me.

There's still a lot to choose from when it comes to their own properties.

Personally, I don't want to see too many third-party characters in Smash. I feel like they have a perfect trio right now. Super iconic characters across the board. Adding people like Professor Layton or Shovel Knight would just seem weird to me.

There's still a lot to choose from when it comes to their own properties.

I agree. That's the reason I couldn't bring myself to vote for Rayman...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It was more pointed at the current Roy discussion.

I personally would rather have had Wolf instead of Falco way back since Melee, sorry Falco fans!

to be honest, Wolf wouldn't be his amazingly awesome feral self if he came during Melee

Is that Tai from Digimon? Him and Agumon would make an awesome duo , though Agumon could go solo just as easy.

that's one furry Agumon

Orgen

Sorry if it's been asked before (I didn't see it in OP's thread) but how many times can you vote from the same PC/IP? I thought it was only one vote but I just voted 2 times from the same PC/IP... :?

Scott667

Sometimes I wonder what Nintendo's response to some of these votes are. I can only imagine Sakurai seeing that the top three characters are something like "Goku, Shrek and Hatsune Miku" and feeling like canceling the whole thing.

Merc_

Sometimes I wonder what Nintendo's response to some of these votes are. I can only imagine Sakurai seeing that the top three characters are something like "Goku, Shrek and Hatsune Miku" and feeling like canceling the whole thing.

Something close to this:
9P78xNE.png

Dryk

For a character like Chibi-Robo, it's not the same. Chibi-Robo is defined by its tiny size and so unless they could make a super-tiny fighter it probably wouldn't work or be poorly represented.
I would argue that as far as Olimar is concerned it's exactly the same. Pikmin is absolutely defined by being a tiny character in a normal world, it runs through the entire design.

I voted for Inkling on my phone and Tetra on my laptop. Was swaying towards Impa but thought she'd be too similar to Sheik.

Might vote Lip on my iPad but I see little point as the only Smash acknowledgment she gets is the flower wand (even though I want her in so bad)

I want to use my last vote on characters that actually stand a chance, what's the general consensus on GAF? Wolf looks to be a given as DLC judging by Lucas and even Ice Climbers in some form might be possible, so what's the most popular vote outside of vets and Ridley?

Diffense

I'd vote Ghirahim but he's already an assist so I guess he's out. It's a shame too. I can aready see those tongue taunts. He summons
Demise
and transforms into his
sword
for the final smash.

Zalman

There are certain types of characters I'd like to see in Smash:

1. Female characters
They've done a good job with the amount of female characters in Smash 4, and I'd like to see that continue. Roster variety is always a good thing. I'm thinking Impa, Dixie Kong, Isabelle, Inkling and Elma would fit perfectly.

2. Characters from unused IP
To me, Smash Bros. should be about covering as much of Nintendo’s history as possible. The more franchises represented in the roster, the better. Examples: Saki Amamiya from Sin & Punishment, Takamaru from The Mysterious Murasame Castle.

3. Modern characters (post-2000)
This kind of ties into the previous point. A big chunk of the current characters are from the '80s and '90s. It doesn't have to be that way. They have a bunch of characters and IP from this era that would be great to see. Andy from Advance Wars, Isaac from Golden Sun, someone from Rhythm Heaven etc.

Covering these points would make for a much more interesting roster, I think.

are people still thinking Lucas and Wolf are clones

Wolf in Brawl still confuses me. It's one of those questions I'd like to ask Sakurai.

The circumstances that led to a random new comer to be added late in development with a unique move set. It hasn't happened before and it didn't happen again.

Toon Link and Jigglypuff I understand. Brawl had no true clones by design, so to add Young Link back they made him Toon Link which allowed them more freedom to change him up a bit. And Jigglypuff is basically ported directly from Melee. My thought is that there was a choice between bringing Young Link or Roy back, and they decided to do Young Link because Zelda needed more characters, Windwaker had a stage already, and Roy isn't anything important. And then Jigglypuff vs Mewtwo, and Jiggly won because of seniority.

I don't know if that's what happened, but I believe it happened like that based on leftover data. Roy and Mewtwo are really far in development, for cut characters at least, more than any other cut characters we've had.

But Wolf... Wolf isn't a redone clone or a Melee port. Wolf is an entirely new character. A character planned for Melee, but who didn't get in as a clone and came back as a new character. He's Wario, basically. And yet he appears to be a very late addition to the roster. Actually Wario and Wolf have a lot more in common than being cut Melee clones that came back as unique fighters. Both are basically parodies of their series' main reps, and while Wario shares some of Mario's standard attacks in spirit, Wolf shares Fox's specials in spirit. They're not identical, but they clearly seem inspired, as to bring consistency between rival characters. Except that led to a weird, unfitting Wario, but whatever.

Wolf is more or less guaranteed to be DLC at this point. He was more popular than Lucas, and is still popular. He's important in his series and his series is getting a new game that he'll probably be in.

On that note, thinking of a world where they allowed true clones for Brawl, Smash 4 may have had a very different roster. Lucas probably would have been a true clone. Mewtwo might have been the only Melee cut. Would Toon Link have existed? What about Ganondorf's changes? Roy would have made Lucina redundant, or she would have been an alt costume? Just something to think about I guess.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I voted for Inkling on my phone and Tetra on my laptop. Was swaying towards Impa but thought she'd be too similar to Sheik.

Might vote Lip on my iPad but I see little point as the only Smash acknowledgment she gets is the flower wand (even though I want her in so bad)
You're doing all this from different locations right? If you're hoping to look like three different individuals and using the same WiFi network it won't work. You're better off resetting your router as that will give you a new IP address.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
are people still thinking Lucas and Wolf are clones

I don't consider them clones but I think the not clones argument needs to appreciate why people consider them clones. While they have a number of differences that define them, their movesets (notably their specials) are based on movesets from existing characters. Enough is changed (especially their standard attacks) to help define them as their own entity, but it's still hard to look at Fox/Falco/Wolf and not think "here are three characters with a number of strong similarities".

And I think that's why people get a little down on the idea of them returning in favour of characters that have totally unique, defined movesets top to bottom. I'm really stoked Lucas is returning, but I'm happier Mewtwo is back not because I have an affiliation for the character but because he never had a true substitute. I'd love Wolf to be back and move forward with giving Smash 4 the "complete roster", but Ice Climbers and Snake are in my opinion notably more distinct as totally original characters.

A lot of my love for Smash comes from a broad roster, and I I think this is because I love to play on random. I like the idea of every match challenging me to play a character that is nothing like the others. It's also probably why I prefer Brawl over Melee, even though I feel Melee is the tighter game. The former has far more diversity in the cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom