• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredible how one move can alter people's perceptions.

And yet you hardly ever see anyone claim Ike is a clone of Marth despite their neutral specials being somewhat the same and them sharing a down special (plus a few of their normal attacks being somewhat similar as well).

Lucario has one attack that's vaguely like Mewtwo's (but it's more like Samus') and he's a clone. Actually I've noticed that people pretty much deem characters as clones entirely based on their specials (except for the mentioned Ike and Marth).

Kirby and Jigglypuff share about 4 moves (forward smash, up tilt, I think a couple of their air attack). Same as Ness and Lucas (who share 4-5 moves). Except Ness and Lucas are obviously clones and Kirby and Jigglypuff aren't, which I always found odd.

Zalman

Yeah I feel like DK should be the only existing series to get a new playable fighter. Maybe Animal Crossing but I feel the ones they would choose are already in the game in some shape or form.
Isabelle joining in Smash 5 is a personal prediction of mine. As of right now she's stuck as an assist trophy though.

While I'd much prefer characters from new IPs, Donkey Kong is the number one franchise that should get a new fighter. 2 isn't enough for such a big series.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The way this fan base makes associations to things is both fascinating and terrifying. This is also the same fan base that at low level think of all swords as pointy sticks that give unfair advantages.

:lol

I'm not looking forward for people to bitching about Smash 4 DLC Characters, like WHY WE ARE GETTING 3 CLONE CHARACTERS FOR DLC! MEWTWO, WOLF AND LUCAS!

Village

tumblr_nk4myidqIL1qko7tbo1_1280.jpg

The only way.... :/

To be forreal I kind of want daisy. To see how they would even handle that character, and what the reaction would even be. Would it be vindicated nerds, or nerd clone outrge.

Essentially this poll is going to let me watch the world burn.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really see how K Rool is really "nasty and gross" other than being a fatass reptilian with an eye tick. We have Wario for crying out loud. He farts and eats garlic to power up. At least K Rool has his strength, blunderbuss, and other contraptions he can use that he made use of during the Rare era of DKC and DK64 games.

I think K Rool fills in some fan demand on account of being both a villain and another DK rep, both of which we desperately need. And I have no doubt a good moveset can be made for him. Hence my vote and avatar. Plus, I actually like his distinctive design.

Linkhero1

Personally, I don't care who gets in. If the character's play style clicks with me than it doesn't matter who that character is.

Village

I don't really see how K Rool is really "nasty and gross" other than being a fatass reptilian with an eye tick. We have Wario for crying out loud. He farts and eats garlic to power up. At least K Rool has his strength, blunderbuss, and other contraptions he can use that he made use of during the Rare era of DKC and DK64 games.

I think K Rool fills in some fan demand on account of being both a villain and another DK rep, both of which we desperately need. And I have no doubt a good moveset can be made for him. Hence my vote and avatar. Plus, I actually like his distinctive design.

I don't see is nasty or gross, just unimaginative. Yeah wario is gross, but wario is wario, espically wario ware wario. K rool just looks like a generic cartoon villain , an evil reptile king. He's just.. unimaginative. He's not distictive, super generic, like a SHIT ton of rare designs and has just been gone from the dk franchise itself. I kind of more interested in the guy from tropical freeze at this point.

I don't like the guy. Power to you if you do , i'm not going to tell you he shouldn't get in.

L Thammy

Wario wears pants. King K. Rool is too lewd.

Wait a second

This is an opportunity to vote for Hades

I prefer Medusa though.

I'd take the K. Rool that was in Mario Super Sluggers. They wouldn't have to worry about his cape.

129px-KingK.Rool_MSS.png

Ok, this sounds crazy, but this design is totally a test for Returns. This game came out during Returns planning stages, and his design uses Aztec/Tribal influences that are all over Returns.

Since I saw this design I was positive this was meant as a test for his Returns appearance until they decided not to use K. Rool.

I have nothing to back this theory up with other than a hunch and the timeline and designs lining up. But... it just makes sense. Why else would K. Rool randomly change designs all of a sudden for a random spinoff and then never use that design again?

J@hranimo

Banned
I'd take the K. Rool that was in Mario Super Sluggers. They wouldn't have to worry about his cape.

129px-KingK.Rool_MSS.png

I'd be ok with this, or maybe some interesting mix between this and his old school look.

Ok, this sounds crazy, but this design is totally a test for Returns. This game came out during Returns planning stages, and his design uses Aztec/Tribal influences that are all over Returns.

Since I saw this design I was positive this was meant as a test for his Returns appearance until they decided not to use K. Rool.

I have nothing to back this theory up with other than a hunch and the timeline and designs lining up. But... it just makes sense. Why else would K. Rool randomly change designs all of a sudden for a random spinoff and then never use that design again?

Hmm actually now that you mention it....that seems plausible.

Sponge

Banned

I could believe that. K. Rool's design here definitely fits the DKCR theme. About his 90's design needing a change, I think he just needs a render upgrade and he'd look okay. Sakurai didn't have to redesign the Koopa Kids for Smash, a few of those kids scream 90's to me.

PSqueak

Banned

K. Rool has changed designs for every rare made game he was in.

King->Pirate->Mad scientist->Boxer (in the final battle)

Him taking an Aztec emperor persona was more in character for K. Rool than going back to his first design in the Paon games.

Neiteio

To be honest, there's no Nintendo character that really jumps out at me as "obvious."

The current roster is pretty damn thorough.

Maybe the Inklings. "Wait for SSB5" seems pretty arbitrary when we have DLC.

I think his baseball look is really his best because it breaks up his body more and there's more visually interesting parts to him.

He's not just a giant fat crocodile with a massive cartoon villain cape. No giant piles of nothing but green blobby flesh, it's tastefully broken up by yellows, reds and whites. His cape is replaced with a shoulder decoration that feels more realistic and isn't huge and obnoxious. His cape is a lot of bright red to have in one giant, unbroken lump. They also got rid of his ridiculous stomach armor thing and made it his actual stomach which makes more sense and doesn't look silly.

Nintendo has actually been pretty good about updating Rare's old janky 90s CGI renders. DK, Diddy, Cranky, Dixie, Rambi and Funky look great in their modern designs. Lanky is fine using his old design because he's supposed to be dumb looking. Tiny looks horrible, but let's just forget her.

To be honest, there's no Nintendo character that really jumps out at me as "obvious."

Wolf is the single most obvious DLC character ever. It's not a matter of if he'll be added, but when at this point.

lol "unimaginative"

That's one way to dismiss a character.

"K. Rool is just a crocodile wearing a crown"
"DK is just a gorilla wearing a necktie"
"Kirby is just a pink blob with eyes"
"Fox is just a fox wearing a spacesuit"
"Luigi is just a recolored version of Mario"

Fun fact: K. Rool has already been redesigned to have a more contemporary look. I know that DK Jungle Climber didn't exactly fly off the shelves, but it still exists.

Ryce

Dixie Kong feels like the most rational DLC newcomer to me. She’s the only newcomer I would actually bet money on. She’s from a popular series, she was planned for Brawl, and she recently appeared in Tropical Freeze. The timing just seems right.

Crayolan

It's not so arbitrary when you consider that this vote could be used for a character that might be irrelevant by the time the next smash comes out, but since Splatoon launches after the release of Smash 4, the Inklings will still be perfect candidates.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
K. Rool has changed designs for every rare made game he was in.

King->Pirate->Mad scientist->Boxer (in the final battle)

Him taking an Aztec emperor persona was more in character for K. Rool than going back to his first design in the Paon games.

Basically K. Rool would have his own Smash design that would separate him from those 5 personas.

Richie

Unappealing designs shouldn't be a deterrent to a character getting in, considering how radical some re-imaginings of the playable ones have been. Duck Hunt, anyone?

Village

lol "unimaginative"

That's one way to dismiss a character.

"K. Rool is just a crocodile wearing a crown"
"DK is just a gorilla wearing a necktie"
"Kirby is just a pink blob with eyes"
"Fox is just a fox wearing a spacesuit"
"Luigi is just a recolored version of Mario"

Fun fact: K. Rool has already been redesigned to have a more contemporary look. I know that DK Jungle Climber didn't exactly fly off the shelves, but it still exists.

There are artistic reasons in their games and some of the characters you listed by themselves like fox, that make them unique.

• kirby's simplicity works for him, he's meant to become anything and being a pink blob makes him actually kind of unique in the sea of video game protagonists.
  • Besides the entire premise of starfox being sort of unique and that blending to their characters, how they chose to repisent many of the characters are actually unique. Star wars ey, in a way. And wolf, being a sort of space biker, he reminders me of something from fist of the north star
  • Luigi's and Mario's uniqueness comes from the insane world they live in. Sure, wearing hats with your first initial on it is pretty unique. That said, them being normal guys in strange world, is what makes them unique.
  • And DK the art style in which they are drawn , the Kong aesthetic makes them unique. I stand to this day that the kongs were the best designed things out of DK by country mile. And each one has a tiny piece of clothing that works as a differentiator.
I can't say any of those things about k rool. He isn't distinct.

He's a cartoon Alligator in hat, you could put him anywhere. And he would be generic enemy. He doesn't command any space for me, he looks like some drew a sketch about what the villain should be and went with the first sketch. He looks like a villian in one of the CG movies that no one cares about and gets skipped over to me.

To me he is unimaginative as hell, aot of rare designs are unimaginative as hell

Azure J

To be forreal I kind of want daisy. To see how they would even handle that character, and what the reaction would even be. Would it be vindicated nerds, or nerd clone outrge.

Essentially this poll is going to let me watch the world burn.

I feel like if enough people press the issue while referencing the Sports titles, it could work in their favor (if not here, then in a far flung future where Daisy actually joins up). That said, if the character does not get a godlike Chaos Dunk special, I will be totally upset. I'm still aching for someone to play B-Ball and bang on these fools in the And1 Mushroom Kingdom Tour.

I would agree with you

But madusa cree summers

ibQOhlpVAHncd.png

My man.

I would be totally cool with Medusa

Or Viridi. When she's in play, Alfonso drops the Reset Bomb.

I actually would want Viridi, Medusa and Hades in. Uprising's cast is a gem that should not only exist within Uprising. What better way for the gods to sort things out than to smack themselves and their demigod Pit around a bit in Smash? :lol

K.Rool getting a smash style design revamp would be pretty neat even if it was just a simple one similar to Dedede who I find benefits a lot from simply changing his body pattern into some snazzy royal clothing, really don't care for that streamlined modern Rool design used in the DK dark ages of Paon, reflective gold belly and humongous eye tic or bust.
Really if he did make the cut they should accept his outdated design and embrace the 90's render to make him as radically outdated as possible, it's basically retro now.

Or just do the Kaptain.

L Thammy

What if K. Rool went something like the Koopalings route, with different costumes instead of different colours? New Smash costume, DKC1 cape, DKC2 pirate, DKC3 mad scientist, DK64 boxer, Sluggers Aztec (?), Krusha costume, Klump costume, etc.

Exile20

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/XT4wATh.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/nucDxmJ.jpg[/img]

Dev are really getting into it.

RomanceDawn

Hey am I super late?! Have you guys seen this?! From the official website!

Look at those 5 spots after Mewtwo!

I just texted this news to my brother and that cynical butt hole just goes "Heh... well yeah but that doesn't mean anything. They are just place holders." God what happened to him? So before anyone else tries to ruin my parade with the same attitude, just know that those open spaces were not there yesterday and putting those open spaces there was a very deliberate act. A dangerous one at that if they don't intend for at least 6 characters over all. Wouldn't you agree?

Puruzi

Banned
Hey am I super late?! Have you guys seen this?!

I just texted this news to my brother and that cynical butt hole just goes "Heh... well yeah but that doesn't mean anything. They are just place holders." God what happened to him? So before anyone else tries to ruin my parade with the same attitude, just know that those open spaces were not there yesterday and putting those open spaces there was a very deliberate act. A dangerous one at that if they don't intend for at least 6 characters over all. Wouldn't you agree?

They weren't there yesterday? Was gonna agree that they were placeholders but now I think it might be happening holyshit

After being an outspoken supporter of K. Rool for years, you really are seizing the chance to get him in the game, lol

Must feel good that there's an actual chance K. Rool could enter Smash. He's basically the front runner for a DLC new comer at this point.

I'd honestly prefer Jr as a third character, but K Rool works fine too. We need more villains and more character plucked right from the 90s. The ones in the game now are all mostly updated to newer designs and Ness never screamed 90s to me like Rare's DKC games do.

Those have always been there.

Doesn't mean anything. Changes depending on the resolution.

RomanceDawn

They weren't there yesterday? Was gonna agree that they were placeholders but now I think it might be happening holyshit

Trust me I was looking over the site before the direct and those squares were all filed up. The day Mewtwo was put on the website those empty places weren't there either. Unless I really over looked them I'm certain they weren't there.

At Balladofwindfishes - I am certain those things were completely gone once we got the full roster. But then maybe I am too excited and jumping the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom