• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinokou

Based on the prediction chart posted some pages back I decided to go for Impa as the inklings seemed to do well without me. Both of them were such lost launch opportunities.

J@hranimo

Banned
Hey am I super late?! Have you guys seen this?! From the official website!

Look at those 5 spots after Mewtwo!

I just texted this news to my brother and that cynical butt hole just goes "Heh... well yeah but that doesn't mean anything. They are just place holders." God what happened to him? So before anyone else tries to ruin my parade with the same attitude, just know that those open spaces were not there yesterday and putting those open spaces there was a very deliberate act. A dangerous one at that if they don't intend for at least 6 characters over all. Wouldn't you agree?

Oh yeah haha, there has always been a few spaces after a character since the site opened. Plus I still think we're only getting 5 DLC characters including Mewtwo and Lucas. It would throw the CSS out of whack for both versions.

And DK the art style in which they are drawn , the Kong aesthetic makes them unique. I stand to this day that the kongs were the best designed things out of DK by country mile. And each one has a tiny piece of clothing that works as a differentiator.

I can't say any of those things about k rool. He isn't distinct.

He's a cartoon Alligator in hat, you could put him anywhere. And he would be generic enemy.

You're missing the point of the character. He's supposed to be a mentally unstable crocodile who takes on different personas depending on the situation. If the first Donkey Kong Country game existed in a vacuum, I'd probably agree with you. If anybody is responsible for turning K. Rool into a generic villain, it's Nintendo themselves. Up until the release of DK: King of Swing, K. Rool changed outfits every time he appeared. To be fair, I'm not sure what costume they could have given him for that game, because plotwise it was basically a retread of the first Donkey Kong Country. If Retro Studios ever makes a third Donkey Kong Country game, bringing back K. Rool is a no-brainer. They just need a creative way to incorporate him into the plot.

King K. Rool: (Donkey Kong Country)

Donkey Kong is often referred to as the "King of the Jungle", including in his Super Smash Bros. for Wii U trophy description. K. Rool's "king" moniker in this case refers to the fact that he is: a) King of the Kremlings, and b) wants to takeover DK Isles and become the new "king" of the jungle.

Kaptain K. Rool: (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest)

He sacrifices his crown and dons a pirate outfit in this title. You resume your adventure on K. Rool's pirate ship from the first game, and gradually make your way to the more a more modernized version of his trusty galleon, known as the Flying Krock. He is known as Kaptain K. Rool because he is the captain of both vessels. His outfit compliments the pirate motif that is found throughout the game. Most people want his Smash incarnation to utilize the blunderbuss that Kaptain K. Rool uses during the final battle.

Baron K. Roolenstein: (Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble)

K. Rool sports a lab coat and works behind the scenes while Dixie and Kiddy try to save DK and Diddy from the evil KAOS. Little do they know that the robotic menace was actually created by K. Rool himself, who is now operating under the guise of Victor Frankenstein. It's a brilliant twist that is totally in-character. Never does his presence feel unnecessary or forced. The final battle takes place in a castle that looks very similar to the one found in the early Frankenstein films.

fmWrt75.png

King Krusha K. Rool: (Donkey Kong 64)

He spends the entire game hiding behind closed doors in his traditional king attire, but switches into a blue spandex suit for the final battle against the Kongs. No explanation for the boxing ring locale is ever given, but I think it has to do with his change in tactics. In the first game, he wanted to steal the banana hoard and become king of the jungle. In the second game, he kidnapped DK whilst traveling the seas and skies in his own vessel. In the third game, he decided to take a more backseat approach and build robots from his lab, who were responsible for kidnapping DK and Diddy. Now in Donkey Kong 64, he just wants to blow shit up. He doesn't want to steal anything. He doesn't want to occupy territory. He wants DK dead. Boxing isn't about playing strategically, it's about brute strength. This symbolizes K. Rool's desire to destroy DK Isles by any means necessary.

Aviator K. Rool: (Diddy Kong Pilot)

Unfortunately, this game was canceled, but it was going to continue the trend of having K. Rool switch into different costume to suit the game. The plot basically revolved around K. Rool traveling around the world in an aviator outfit, searching for hidden treasure.

Aztec K. Rool: (Mario Super Sluggers)

Little is known about this alias, but some have speculated that it's a scrapped outfit from Returns. Given the development period, this would made sense, but I'm still not convinced. I think Namco just wanted to put their own little spin on the character, and either way, it's easier to animate K. Rool without the cape. I'm not sure why they got rid of the tail, though. My headcanon is that his Klaptrap minions turned on him after the events of Donkey Kong 64 and bit it off.

Ryce

I just texted this news to my brother and that cynical butt hole just goes "Heh... well yeah but that doesn't mean anything. They are just place holders." God what happened to him? So before anyone else tries to ruin my parade with the same attitude, just know that those open spaces were not there yesterday and putting those open spaces there was a very deliberate act. A dangerous one at that if they don't intend for at least 6 characters over all. Wouldn't you agree?
As others have said, those empty boxes have always been there. The amount of empty boxes are determined by screen resolution/device -- I just checked the site on my iPhone, and Mewtwo is the last character in its row. The empty space means nothing at all. It's simply a formatting choice.

So Rhythm Heaven not only sold more/has more games than most series that have/don't have playable characters, but they also represent a completely untapped genre.

I think the biggest thing against the Chorus Kids is the fact that they're not in already, presumably due to 3DS issues.

Honestly I've always figured Rhythm Heaven would be perfect in the Brawl Animal Crossing role, represented in every way but a playable fighter.
Not that I don't think a fighter can work for the series or that there's anything wrong with wanting one, it's just that there's really no truly obvious candidate.

My problem with K.Rool is that he's just bland as hell and lacks any sort of charm that Bowser or Wario have. He'll forever be a missed opportunity because Rare never fleshed him out (and instead were very inconsistent and messy. The character has a huge identity crisis in a bad way), and in all honestly I feel like the villain of the week approach that Retro took works WAY better for DK than a fat king of a bunch of Battletoads rejects. DKC2 is godlike but not because of K.Rool.

THAT SAID, I definitely wouldn't oppose to him if he gets a Smash redesign of some sort. That'd probably make me warm me up to him a lot more. As of now though? I'm completely indifferent towards him.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll continue mourning over Nintendo's neglect of Captain Syrup and the Wario Land series in general.

EDIT: The lack of any sort of Rhythm Heaven content disheartens me more than anything in this game. Whyyyyy

PSqueak

Banned
Now if you'll excuse me I'll continue mourning over Nintendo's neglect of Captain Syrup and the Wario Land series in general.

What you just said about K. Rool can be said for Captain Syrup.

Im not saying it myself, i don't even know much about her, but that's the thing, people slamming on K. Rool just don't know what they're talking about and im pointing out that after slamming K. Rool you went on to champion a character that is in the exact same position, it's very funny if you think about it.

What im saying is, every character is someone's fave character and you shouldn't talk shit about a character you just aren't familiar with.

My problem with K.Rool is that he's just bland as hell and lacks any sort of charm that Bowser or Wario have. He'll forever be a missed opportunity because Rare never fleshed him out (and instead were very inconsistent and messy. The character has a huge identity crisis in a bad way), and in all honestly I feel like the villain of the week approach that Retro took works WAY better for DK than a fat king of a bunch of Battletoads rejects. DKC2 is godlike but not because of K.Rool.

You're missing the point entirely.The costume changing was part of K. Rool's character, not because Rare couldn't settle on a design. Introducing a new villainous tribe every game gets tiresome, especially since the Tikis were more generic than anything Rare has made in over 30 years. Obviously that hasn't been working out too well, otherwise people would be clamoring to get Tiki Tong and Lord Fredrik in Smash. Whether you like his design or not, K. Rool is the Bowser of the Donkey Kong Country franchise.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't they have those waaaaayyy back when they were revealing veterans back in 2013? I may be thinking of something else, but I distinctly recall Miiverse panicking over it meaning there'd only be five characters left, lol

OmegaFax

Doesn't the guy who made Katamari not like Nintendo or something?

I know that the original designer left but it didn't stop Namco from continuing the series (into the ground?) with the PS3 and Vita version. If there's a will, there's a way. Don't see why Katamari Damacy would be off the table.

hpkomic

Neo Member
I still can't come to a decision, and it's tough.

I am incredibly torn between Dixie Kong, Bomberman, Sukapon, or Mach Rider. :(

Azure J

Captain Syrup did show good potential in Shake It, though, basically being the Fujiko to Wario's Lupin.

This is honestly one of the big reasons why I would totally respect her inclusion. Every other female character that gets promoted to Smash is either dainty and "pure" or stoic and ethereal in personality. A catty and manipulative character (with a pirate theme no less) that plays command and conquer would be pretty neat on top of all the Wario Land allusions possible between move sets referencing the Black Sugar Gang. What's more, her inclusion could act as an even higher level continuation of Wario and the Wario series being the bizarro world version of the Super Mario Bros. series (compare Mario series female entrants to herself and you could see the difference immediately).

Peltz

I know that the original designer left but it didn't stop Namco from continuing the series (into the ground?) with the PS3 and Vita version. If there's a will, there's a way. Don't see why Katamari Damacy would be off the table.

It never appeared on a Nintendo platform. So I think it's off the table.

Edit: Never mind.

hpkomic

Neo Member
Pirate Rool is best Rool for a reason

If they go with K. Rool I'd love to see them reference all of his forms. He'd definitely have a great variety of alt costumes, and he could easy use the blunderbuss for specials and boxing gloves for smash attacks or something.

rawktapus

Yeah that dynamic was pretty neat, hoping they expand on it in the next game whenever that is.

Pirate Rool is best Rool for a reason

That's actually one thing I don't like about K. Rool. I think the whole "changing his theme" every game is a stupid gimmick. The pirate theme worked really well, and had a lot of stuff you could build off of. Even the 1st game hinted at the pirate motif with his ending stage/boss fight, but then it was like, NOPE, he's a mad scientist now for the end boss fight for no reason. Then, NOPE, he's a boxer at the end for no reason. Just a total waste of a great character/motif.

Still, I'd love to see K. Rool make it in, especially if he had a Kaptain skin.

JCX

Oh god. You've reminded me too late.

I've wasted my vote.

Life is meaningless now.

Enough KI characters. Medusa and Hades should be a lock for the next Smash though, with the lack of villains overall.

Also, everyone has the wrong idea for DK villain

ZK75Mno.jpg

SeanR1221

A general extreme sports guy would be awesome. He'd have moves using the wave race jetski, 1080 snowboard and an excite bike motorcycle.

No way anyone would ever know to vote for this and I don't have the artistic ability to make a mockup and get attention for it on a place like reddit.

hpkomic

Neo Member
A general extreme sports guy would be awesome. He'd have moves using the wave race jetski, 1080 snowboard and an excite bike motorcycle.

No way anyone would ever know to vote for this and I don't have the artistic ability to make a mockup and get attention for it on a place like reddit.

I always thought an expanded extreme sports universe would be interesting for Nintendo to pursue. They tend to reuse characters across Wave Race and 1080, toss in Excitebike and a couple other sports and you get could a fun franchise going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom