• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javier

1.- Inkling (Big new IP Nintendo is heavily trying to push. Also great moveset potential)
2.- Shantae (Great indie rep and also great moveset potential)
3.- Calista (Because The Last Story was awesome and deserves a playable character, and I think she's a better pick than Zael)
4.- Dixie Kong (DK really needs a new rep and I like her best)
5.- Impa (With Hyrule Warriors design. Zelda series is long overdue a new rep)

Neiteio

Sakurai seems to like subverting people's expectations, so if everyone's average guess is six characters, he'll probably add eight, lol

Sakurai seems to like subverting people's expectations, so if everyone's average guess is six characters, he'll probably add eight, lol

The Wii U CSS can probably hold 6 before it gets too big to scale properly, so I'm going with 6.

Mewtwo
Lucas
Wolf
K. Rool/ Other Poll Winner
Some other new comer that did well
Finish with a vet, Roy or Squirtle or something. Maybe give them away for owning all the characters.

Exile20

1.- Inkling (Big new IP Nintendo is heavily trying to push. Also great moveset potential)
2.- Shantae (Great indie rep and also great moveset potential)
3.- Calista (Because The Last Story was awesome and deserves a playable character, and I think she's a better pick than Zael)
4.- Dixie Kong (DK really needs a new rep and I like her best)
5.- Impa (With Hyrule Warriors design. Zelda series is long overdue a new rep)

Would rather Cranky. We need some senior citizen representatives.

from Adventure Quest Worlds.

Edit.

Azure J

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/uHt1Xb8.jpg[/img]

As someone who
i0MU5k53uC9d4.png
's when people hit him with the "Who?" given the characters I strongly support...

Who?

He looks like the character in those really janky flash ads for that one online game.

Boney

Banned
So I bet Nintendo's never going to do this ballot thing again.
It's easy publicity for all publishers to get the word out of their games to Nintendo fanatics. Plus you get the fans themselves to spear head the campaign and viralize it.

Peeps like way forward must be pretty happy at all the free publicity they're getting by jumping on the bandwagon. So it's no surprise that other publishers are following on that.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
It's easy publicity for all publishers to get the word out of their games to Nintendo fanatics. Plus you get the fans themselves to spear head the campaign and viralize it.

Peeps like way forward must be pretty happy at all the free publicity they're getting by jumping on the bandwagon. So it's no surprise that other publishers are following on that.

At least Shantae has had several Nintendo games and isn't a frickin' flash game. She at least has a sliver of a chance.

I am entertained by all these companies advertising their characters for Smash. I can't wait to see more.

The Smash DLC hype is so real, everyone wants a piece of the action, even completely unrelated companies and dev teams.

Man. Although I know Miku would never have a chance at being in Smash, I would be so genuinely stoked if she got in. There's no way she wouldn't be incredibly fun to play as, and I bet her Final Smash would never, ever get old.

Azure J

Yeah, I didn't know so many devs were big on the idea of getting something of theirs into Smash. There's a little something for everyone with this Ballot concept.

Edit: Miku in Smash would honestly be pretty dope. Nothing I'd strongly support but I guarantee it would reach near Snake levels of "what in the fuck" before she starts doing stuff and everyone is like "why wasn't this done sooner?"

Boney

Banned
Palutena, Duck Hunt, Mega Man, Little Mac.
Palu has very interesting custom recoveries.
DHD is also really interesting in terms of how much of a liability it is, there's nothing like it, it sucks but it's a unique part of the character (not sure about the customs)
Megaman regular is cool because it conserves the second jump and you can act out if it immediately. Killer custom ones as well.
Little mac's is also pretty special in the way it changes from ground to air form and how it doesn't ledge snap. Not sure about his customs either.
Just because they're not flashy, it doesn't mean they're not unique or interesting.

Neiteio

The ballot has already been a huge marketing boon for Nintendo simply by increasing the post-release buzz about Smash Bros. Regardless of whether they get meaningful feedback, it's been making noise, and that's good.

ChrisD

Shovel Knight has such a large pool of moves to pull from, he'd be great.
I don't even know how Miku would work but it'd be hilarious.

J@hranimo

Banned
*Glances at that Artix character*

So now every developer is just doing this to promote their characters and games for exposure. Eh, alright then.

The ballot has already been a huge marketing boon for Nintendo simply by increasing the post-release buzz about Smash Bros. Regardless of whether they get meaningful feedback, it's been making noise, and that's good.

Doesn't matter how much noise it makes if it doesn't lead to a spike in sales.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member

So now every developer is just doing this to promote their characters and games for exposure. Eh, alright then.

Gotta get dat free publicity. Even if said character never seen a Nintendo console or would otherwise had it not been for this vote. We have this "Artix" fellow and I can't wait to see what's next. I wouldn't give it a second thought if it was fans doing this, but companies advertising their properties for the Smash ballot? I can forgive WayForward and Shantae because they're actually relevant, but everything else so far has been hilarious.

Berordn

Now's your (likely only) chance for your own shitty characters to show up in searches and hashtags alongside Nintendo greats!

It's not too surprising to see a lot of developers, respectable and otherwise jump on that bandwagon.

I'd say what I'd personally hope is for there to be 6 DLC characters. 3 returning veterans and 3 newcomers.

Veterans:
1. Mewtwo
2. Lucas
3. Wolf

Newcomers:
1. Inkling
2. Impa
3. Cranky Kong

Javier

At least Shantae has had several Nintendo games and isn't a frickin' flash game. She at least has a sliver of a chance.

I am entertained by all these companies advertising their characters for Smash. I can't wait to see more.

The Smash DLC hype is so real, everyone wants a piece of the action, even completely unrelated companies and dev teams.
This whole thing is like watching that Looney Tunes short where Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam run for mayor. Except with video game characters and a lot more candidates.

L Thammy

So I bet Nintendo's never going to do this ballot thing again.

I don't think these dev campaigns or joke characters are as big a deal as you've made of them. These aren't physical voter cards that have to be counted individual, so it would be a fairly easy job to throw out irrelevant entries once you've narrowed yourself down to the most popular. On top of that, the sheer number of nonsense characters and irrelevant indie character campaigns are probably going to result in low numbers for each individual one. I'm pretty confident that a few Artixes would be weeded out just by the low number of entries.

Now, people putting in twenty votes for their favourite character, that's a real problem. Even if it's just to gauge player interest rather than an actual vote (which it is, come on), that severely damages the integrity of the data collected.

The shitty character design brigade has already mobilized behind a character already, so we're spared that particular movement.

Huh? Which character is the Deviantart character? Shadow?

Neiteio

They probably have 10 characters in mind, will make a few of them, and then ctrl+f for ballots they can show in a Direct as evidence of "fan demand."

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm surprised no one is voting for a peripheral a la ROB. You know, like Gameboy or VirtuaBoy. Or maybe a frankenstein-monster of sorts made up of various Nintendo consoles.

Them's fightin words. At least I never forgot wolf!

If it's any consolation I always remember Toon Link lol

Azure J

They probably have 10 characters in mind, will make a few of them, and then ctrl+f for ballots they can show in a Direct as evidence of "fan demand."

It's going to be so cool seeing the montage of fan demand notes before each segment. Wish if we could attach names to our ballots just for the chance to get highlighted. Silly desire I know, but eh :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom