• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

They probably have 10 characters in mind, will make a few of them, and then ctrl+f for ballots they can show in a Direct as evidence of "fan demand."

Actually, Sakurai probably still has the data from previous polls, so I wouldn't be surprised if he makes use of that. "Is Toad still popular? Looks that way, let's just make Toad. What's this Captain Toad crap?"

Neiteio

It's going to be so cool seeing the montage of fan demand notes before each segment. Wish if we could attach names to our ballots just for the chance to get highlighted. Silly desire I know, but eh :p
Be careful what you wish for...

*new Direct starts up*

*Iwata appears onscreen, talking in his usual staccato accent*

"We have decided which characters will be added next, using data collected from the Fighter Ballot. But first... please take a look at these fools and their silly ideas."

*Azure J's ballot for Takamaru appears onscreen*

"Look at this fucking idiot," Iwata says. "Did the Takamaru Assist Trophy not drive the point through his thick head? Allow me to crush your hope."

*Iwata holds up an orange and starts to squeeze it. He struggles. Bill Trinen steps in and helps Iwata flatten the orange with a mallet.*

"There," Iwata says, wiping his brow. "That orange was your hopes and dreams."

Boney

Banned
I'm surprised no one is voting for a peripheral a la ROB. You know, like Gameboy or VirtuaBoy. Or maybe a frankenstein-monster of sorts made up of various Nintendo consoles.

If it's any consolation I always remember Toon Link lol
Like wise, I was pretty surprised the balance board was completely absent for WFT moveset, you'd think they'd make an up b or something for it.

It's literally only because those ads were everywhere in the ad spots on the site at one point why I recalled him. :lol

Could be worse. You could have actually played the crappy flash games (it was the "in" thing at one point at school...over a decade ago). Adventure quest worlds isn't even the first game with him in. It's basically the author avatar of the Adventurequest/dragonfable/etc series of flash games. None of them were very good.

Going to be real interesting to read Sakurai's next article.

It's pretty much going to be this:
tumblr_m1b1cyoIlh1qh6k9co1_500.gif

*new Direct starts up*

"We have decided which characters will be added next, using data collected from the Fighter Ballot. But first... please take a look at these fools and their silly ideas."

"Look at this fucking idiot," Iwata says. "Did the Takamaru Assist Trophy not drive the point through his thick head? Allow me to crush your hope."

*Iwata holds up an orange and starts to squeeze it. He struggles. Bill Trinen steps in and helps Iwata flatten the orange with a mallet.*

This made me laugh.

Palu has very interesting custom recoveries.
DHD is also really interesting in terms of how much of a liability it is, there's nothing like it, it sucks but it's a unique part of the character (not sure about the customs)
Megaman regular is cool because it conserves the second jump and you can act out if it immediately. Killer custom ones as well.
Little mac's is also pretty special in the way it changes from ground to air form and how it doesn't ledge snap. Not sure about his customs either.
Just because they're not flashy, it doesn't mean they're not unique or interesting.

I don't think you can count customs. It's not their original moveset.

I never said anything about flashyness. I said those names because others have/had them, or really isn't anything too special.

Palutena has a teleport, others have a teleport. Closer to Mewtwo.

Duck Hunt can go in the Pit (Brawl) category. Olimar as well, although he has weight. Villager has a button to make her/him higher.

Mega Man is basically Sonic's.

I know that Mac's Up-B goes higher when he's on the ground compared to when he's in the air. But I don't find it that great.

Azure J

*new Direct starts up*

It would certainly be the most interesting thing I've ever had a handle attached to, that's for sure. :lol

L Thammy

Could be worse. You could have actually played the crappy flash games (it was the "in" thing at one point at school...over a decade ago). Adventure quest worlds isn't even the first game with him in. It's basically the author avatar of the Adventurequest/dragonfable/etc series of flash games. None of them were very good.

I'm guilty of playing the original Adventure Quest, back when it first started. The graphics look so much better now. Oh, and you couldn't even log on half the time unless you were a premium member, which was pretty great.

Fandangox

*new Direct starts up*

If I had motivation and time
mostly motivation
I'd draw this.

Neiteio

Guys, what if the Ballot is all a dream?
Nintendo might try to pass it off that way if the K. Rool campaign reaches critical capacity.

"It was just a bad dream guys," Sakurai says. "That Direct was a QoL test for relaying medicinal marijuana fumes through your computer. You were high."

Neiteio

It is not uncommon for men to crave power.

I suspect Sakurai actually missed making people dance, and this ballot is just another sick way for him to get his kicks.

The Wii U CSS can probably hold 6 before it gets too big to scale properly, so I'm going with 6.

Mewtwo
Lucas
Wolf
K. Rool/ Other Poll Winner
Some other new comer that did well
Finish with a vet, Roy or Squirtle or something. Maybe give them away for owning all the characters.

Not that the roster should be limited by the amount that the CSS can appear to hold but I always thought there were two more slots available (one on top and bottom) Obviously this isn't the case because of the ballot but where would the other 4 characters go? Would the panels just get reduced in size as more characters are added?

Red Devil

I'm surprised no one is voting for a peripheral a la ROB. You know, like Gameboy or VirtuaBoy. Or maybe a frankenstein-monster of sorts made up of various Nintendo consoles.

A Circle Pad Pro? A N64 Rumble Pak!?!?

If there's anybody reading through all the vote for real, man! I pity that poor being.

I voted for Bayonetta, the reality is I don't know if a Nintendo character that's already missing from the roster would get enough votes(assuming this is legit) to make it(for example K. Rool), where as all things considered Bayonetta might have a better shot.

If there was any justice in the world we should be able to ask for characters like Simon Belmont, Bomberman, Amaterasu, Goemon, etc. :(

Paper Mario moveset with .gifs!

Smash A>
OLBwFi7.gif

Smash A^
nSr5Ntt.gif

Smash Av
YCuKlS1.gif

Bo
Wp9xoxA.gif

B>
T9QrgND.gif

B^
AOvI4J3.gif

Bv
BWTSW2m.gif

Grab
hD8WuNU.gif

Final Smash
1py81sf.gif
Appreciate the effort, but I don't feel that moveset really captures Paper Mario that well. Think his moveset should focus more on his paper abilities/stickers and less on the partners mechanic.

Neiteio

I think a Paper Mario character would borrow heavily from TTYD, with a lot of emphasis on Paper Mario being flat like Mr. G&W, but able to fold and roll up in 3D space. So you'd see Paper Mario rolling up into tubes, folding into paper airplanes, etc.

At the same time, I understand the desire to try and incorporate the sidekick characters, since they're such a big part of the series' charm.

Nintendo might try to pass it off that way if the K. Rool campaign reaches critical capacity.

"It was just a bad dream guys," Sakurai says. "That Direct was a QoL test for relaying medicinal marijuana fumes through your computer. You were high."

But I found all this out through my phone..

What does that mean?

Neiteio.. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

L Thammy

Is there any major recurring Paper Mario character that isn't Mario, Peach, or Bowser? I can't remember. I don't think there is, but it would be much more convenient.

Wait, I think there was Merlon. But that would be dumb.

Neiteio

But I found all this out through my phone..

What does that mean?

Neiteio.. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
I suspect it means your phone store unwittingly sold you the n-phone prototype and Nintendo ninjas are coming to abduct you right now

Quick, get in the car!

*Neiteio drives off a cliff*

2D Mario could be great if they had all 2D forms as costumes. Retro Mario could be grayscale while Paper Mario would be another costume. The moves would be the same.

Zalman

Let's talk about Camelot, the creators of two wonderful things: Golden Sun and Waluigi.

Camelot_Software_Planning_logo.png

A trusty Nintendo partner since 1998. Why don't they have a character yet? Golden Sun was a million-seller back in the day. Isaac needs to be in! It would also bring some wonderful music into the game.

Neiteio

Let's talk about Camelot, the creators of two wonderful things: Golden Sun and Waluigi.

A trusty Nintendo partner since 1998. Why don't they have a character yet? Golden Sun was a million-seller back in the day. Isaac needs to be in! It would also bring some wonderful music into the game.
"Isaac? That looks nothing like the guy from Dead Space!"

I suspect it means your phone store unwittingly sold you the n-phone prototype and Nintendo ninjas are coming to abduct you right now

Quick, get in the car!

*Neiteio drives off a cliff*

Pfft. I'm a bat.

*flies away*

By the way, mobile Nintendo games da best.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Because Dark Dawn was shite and it basically killed the series.

Not that the roster should be limited by the amount that the CSS can appear to hold but I always thought there were two more slots available (one on top and bottom) Obviously this isn't the case because of the ballot but where would the other 4 characters go? Would the panels just get reduced in size as more characters are added?

They can scale it a bit to squeeze out just enough space on the sides for another column. But not that much or everything gets too small.

Crayolan

Let's hear your dream 5 people for DLC characters.

1. Ice Climbers
2. Ice Climbers
3. Ice Climbers
4. Ice Climbers
5. Ice Climbers
6. Paper Mario
7. Wonder Red
8. Karate Joe
9. Any rep from an unrepped Nintendo franchise
10. Any rep from an unrepped Nintendo franchise

Foshy

Appreciate the effort, but I don't feel that moveset really captures Paper Mario that well. Think his moveset should focus more on his paper abilities/stickers and less on the partners mechanic.

hmm, personally I disagree. Partners define the series more than anything else to me.

BlakeofT

I don't know if this has been asked, but could Ice Climbers be possible if they were N3DS exclusive? I guess it would be a nightmare for match making, but I'd really like to see them return.

My vote goes to Mike Jones.

ffdgh

I don't know if this has been asked, but could Ice Climbers be possible if they were N3DS exclusive? I guess it would be a nightmare for match making, but I'd really like to see them return.

My vote goes to Mike Jones.

Maybe but sakurai likely wouldn't do that. It's All or nothing.

I've always wondered to myself if Nintendo paid for the rights of using third parties in Smash or not, but with the recent wave of third parties wanting their characters in I'm guessing it's safe to say Nintendo did not pay a penny for Mega Man, Sonic or Pac Man?

I've always wondered to myself if Nintendo paid for the rights of using third parties in Smash or not, but with the recent wave of third parties wanting their characters in I'm guessing it's safe to say Nintendo did not pay a penny for Mega Man, Sonic or Pac Man?

Capcom probably gave Mega Man away.

BlakeofT

I assumed that these companies want their characters in Smash so that they get paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom