• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting no sort of season pass thing has been announced

Nearly all Nintendo DLC seems to have one.

I was looking forward to the bonus item for owning all the DLC :(
I would GUESS that it's because Nintendo doesn't have a solid idea of how much DLC content will be provided by the end, so they therefore can't come up with a fair price for it.

I agree.

kJgd34U.jpg
WYIx0TY.gif

EDIT: well mine isn't slightly squashed at least

Hatchtag

Banned

Probably because there's no solid idea as to what characters are being added. The Smash ballot implies that they're not 100% sure yet.
I expect there to be a season pass or bundles for stages, though, since they're not looking for any fan input on that.

SmithnCo

Meme Run character when? It was on the startup screen for months. That frog in the icon has more exposure than Shovel Knight.

Beats

Meme Run character when? It was on the startup screen for months. That frog in the icon has more exposure than Shovel Knight.

They could also just make a miime hat and sell that.

It is brilliant how they want to market their characters and franchises to customers that can't even play the games on the platform! (excluding a few exceptions)

I don't see why that matters. The site just says vote for a video game character you'd like to see in Smash and barely has any other rules.

Gartooth

I don't see why that matters. The site just says vote for a video game character you'd like to see in Smash and barely has any other rules.

IIRC back during the 3rd party madness of Brawl, someone from Nintendo said there were two criteria for an eligible 3rd party Smash character.

1) Must have originated in a video game.
2) Must have been in a video game on a Nintendo platform.

Meaning all votes for Super Meat Boy probably matter as much as those for Goku.

Boney

Banned

I wish I could get a bundle for all characters, but seeing they are maintaining the surprise of how many characters are being added they just can't set a price on that.
20 bucks would suggest 5 or 6. And they're not gonna give those juicy details out

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Not sure how Guilty Gear on GBA actually translates. Yeowch.
Everyone and their mom wants their characters to be in Smash, don't they?
At the least they are getting everyone to talk about their own characters. It's a brilliant marketing move by Nintendo that 3rd parties are taking advantage of.

Red Devil

More likely when we find out what's all the DLC.

While I would certainly say it's unlikely I couldn't out right say no chance or impossible.

With guys like Inky, Blinky and so on serving like 3 different roles in the game that tells me there is no hard rule about who does or can do what. They are attacks, back ground hazards and assist trophies all roled into one.

DK is also a hazard on 75 Meters. Now I know people say that's Cranky, but for all intents and purposes it's Donkey Kong, just look at he promotional art for Pac Man or even Duck Hunt Dogs intro movie, DK is DK. I suppose if you really want to stretch it, Cranky Kong turns into Donkey Kong during Duck Hunts movie.

Then not to mention Duck Hunt dog and the ducks themselves, the are back ground elements that can affect players, 2D art style or not, it's them with multiple roles.

Again I'm not saying it's likely for hazards or assists to become playable but I think my examples justify why it's not a hard rule saying they cant.

I don't think those are good examples.

That joke was weird, mainly because there was also a joke about Star Fox in the E3 video, and what do you know, Star Fox was announced at E3! But then nothing happened with Mother 3, which was odd.

Wolf DLC announcement with Star Fox U E3 trailer

MOTHER 3 translation announced the day Lucas DLC goes live

I want to believe

tumblr_mmgpqkORQS1s8ouhxo1_400.gif

Not Ridley is a stage hazard. Ridley still has a chance!

Can't wait for Ridley to become a character so we can see Alfonzo fly around the stage!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Maybe they are not ready to show it yet. I guess they could announce that we are getting season pass at E3 if it's possible.

I wonder if bonus item for owning all the DlC is going to be alt costumes for character(s) Like Roy for Marth.

Maybe they are not ready to show it yet. I guess they could announce that we are getting season pass at E3 if it's possible.

I wonder if bonus item for owning all the DlC is going to be alt costumes for character(s) Like Roy for Marth.

Roy won't be an alt for Marth. It's either a character or not at all for vets, as per what Sakurai said about Doc.

And at that point he wouldn't be far from full playable anyway.

Gartooth

Is anyone even interested in the Mii costumes? The Proto Man one looks nice, but I never play Mii Fighters so I won't be buying it.

Would be a hilarious (and awful) troll though to put a requested fighter in as a Mii costume. Like say a Wonder Red costume for Mii Brawler and Wonder Blue costume for Mii Swordfighter.

Azure J

Is anyone even interested in the Mii costumes? The Proto Man one looks nice, but I never play Mii Fighters so I won't be buying it.

Would be a hilarious (and awful) troll though to put a requested fighter in as a Mii costume. Like say a Wonder Red costume for Mii Brawler and Wonder Blue costume for Mii Swordfighter.

Mega Man X Mii is goddamn hype.

RomanceDawn

The reason is that DK in 8 bit would likely look like Cranky back in the days of the first Donkey Kong game, the case of Pac-Man's ghosts is more akin to Riki who shows up in a final smash and also is an Assist Trophy.

Hmm, I never thought about Riki before. With that example it just makes me believe that a character having multiple roles isn't a big deal. If real Ridley got in whats to stop them from sending another monster Alphonzo style?

If Sakurai changed his mind about Ridley or Takamaru I really doubt their boss trophy statuses would stop the character from being a fighter.

Azure J

I remember seeing Zero's awesome UMvC3 Mega Man X costume and then being disappointed afterward because it was so close to the real thing. :p

Don't remind me. :lol

That was my most wanted character for UMVC3. On another note, we need MMZ Zero for Mii Swordfighter

Hatchtag

Banned

I plan on picking them up. TBH I'd love it if they were like the Mii Costumes in Mario Kart, though. Just a bonus for buying certain figures.

I wouldn't mind if some requested characters that won't be making it in got Mii costumes.

Hmm, I never thought about Riki before. With that example it just makes me believe that a character having multiple roles isn't a big deal. If real Ridley got in whats to stop them from sending another monster Alphonzo style?

If Sakurai changed his mind about Ridley or Takamaru I really doubt their boss trophy statuses would stop the character from being a fighter.

Canonically isn't the Ridley on Pyrosphere a clone of the one in other games anyways?

I love the Mii Fighters and I'm looking forward to the new costumes.

Especially the cat/monkey ones; in fact, I'm gonna make the Mii with the glasses from the screenshots for the monkey one, lol. He's so perfect.

I'm not particularly interested in Mii Costumes, but they're a neat way to recognize characters who aren't playable. I just hope that they're alongside new character alts rather than instead of character alts. Proto Man feels like something that would've worked better as an alt costume for Mega Man, but I recognize that it would've required new announcer dialog too

plus mega man's alt outfit should be roll anyways

Gartooth

I'm not particularly interested in Mii Costumes, but they're a neat way to recognize characters who aren't playable. I just hope that they're alongside new character alts rather than instead of character alts. Proto Man feels like something that would've worked better as an alt costume for Mega Man, but I recognize that it would've required new announcer dialog too

plus mega man's alt outfit should be roll anyways

profile_Rock.png

This is pretty much the only image of it I could find with a Google search, but I would love to see a Rock costume for Mega Man similar to the appearance in Mega Man: Powered Up. (I have no idea how his arms would look when firing weapons)

RomanceDawn

I plan on picking them up. TBH I'd love it if they were like the Mii Costumes in Mario Kart, though. Just a bonus for buying certain figures.

I wouldn't mind if some requested characters that won't be making it in got Mii costumes.

Canonically isn't the Ridley on Pyrosphere a clone of the one in other games anyways?

Yes you are correct. Sometimes I like to bring that up and sometimes I don't. Like DK, like Link, despite canonically being different beings for all purposes aside from a BS story line they are all the same character. So depending on my argument I feel like I can sway it any way I want.

I do like that Roidley from Other M does look yuckily different from Ridley's past incarnation.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Well, I'm sucker for some costumes, but if Sakurai have no intent to make Takamaru as playable character, then they better add Takamaru Mii costume from NintendoLand into Smash 4 so technically I can play as Takamaru.

Roy won't be an alt for Marth. It's either a character or not at all for vets, as per what Sakurai said about Doc.

And at that point he wouldn't be far from full playable anyway.

Oh yeah. I forget all about that interview.

Ryce

Alfonzo is ripped from Spirit Tracks and is just standing in the background. It doesn’t matter if he’s there or not. Ridley is the focus of the Pyrosphere stage; he’s a fully featured boss with lots of attacks and a hitbox. Yellow Devil and Metal Face are the only other characters comparable to Ridley in Smash Bros. They’re more than mere scenery.

RomanceDawn

Alfonzo is ripped from Spirit Tracks and is just standing in the background. It doesn’t matter if he’s there or not. Ridley is the focus of the Pyrosphere stage; he’s a fully featured boss with lots of attacks and a hitbox. Yellow Devil and Metal Face are the only other characters comparable to Ridley in Smash Bros. They’re more than mere scenery.

And they can't be switched out to a new hazard? Does Roidley have to leave at all if Ridley was chosen as a fighter?

Of all the DKC cartoon characters, it's amazing to me how little Dixie represents her in-game self. Like they couldn't even be arsed to make her blonde.

Come to think of it, Candy wasn't blonde, either. Hmm.

My favorite animation quirk in that whole cartoon is how her pupils just randomly dilate for no reason, hence the gifs.

The whole show's a gift.

Apparently Japan loved that show, which doesn't surprise me.

Masked Man, if you're around, please translate these lyrics. I beg of you...

Ryce

And they can't be switched out to a new hazard? Does Roidley have to leave at all if Ridley was chosen as a fighter?
Anything is possible, but it doesn't even seem like a conversation worth having anymore. Sakurai doesn't think Ridley should be playable, so he gave him a major gameplay role instead. It's going to take several years and a new Smash Bros. to get Sakurai to rethink his position on Ridley.

Well all the Links are the same reincarnated soul, with the exception of WW Link
This is a big deal
, the status of ST Link being original or a WW reincarnation is up for debate. So technically Link and Toon Link don't contradict eachother in Smash.

Zelda on the other hand is just a divine bloodline that likes the name Zelda.

Deepest lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom