• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdbot

I will be dumbfounded if neither Dixie nor K. Rool get to be DLC at this point. The DKC character snub in Smash 4 was already eyebrow raising after the resurgence with Retro DKC, so I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if it were to happen again.

I don't think it was a "snub," people have it in their heads that they have to meet certain quotas for new characters, you hear folks say that Zelda "deserved" another character too. They're not going to arbitrarily add a new character just because they were in a recent game.

That said I want Cranky Kong.

Lutherian

Voted for B&K. And if they do another Ballot, I hope this guy'll get it's chance :

tumblr_n4ibxyh1tz1tudntgo1_1280.jpg

So, people have asked "how would Wonder Red work since he's all about team-based combat?", and I actually had an idea for that that changes him up a bit while still remaining true to the character...I wrote this awhile back just for fun, but hey, now that he has a chance why not share it?

Hope this is easy to understand.

As you can see, all the main Unite Morphs are represented.

There is a part of me that hopes sakurai will look at Wonder Red and be like challenge accepted

and then use your suggestion

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member

Honestly, if you just made the wings and tail smaller (Like the Super Metroid design which is Ridley's most popular Smash request design, this one seems like a fusion between Super Metroid and Other M) he'd be a perfect fit.

Let's not forget this mod was created by a 14 year old. That. Is. Awesome.

And it really shows the length the fans will go to for their favorite Smash characters. Some will just make them themselves.

Masked Man

I said wow
If I had to pick a Top 5 right now, it would look something like:

1) Chorus Kids
2) Captain Toad
3) Banjo-Kazooie
4) Professor Layton
5) Masked Man/Duster/Kumatora/Porky/Flint (in order of preference)

I voted for Duster from Mother 3 because everyone else was dreaming big and inspired me.

I like the way you think!

Macka

Chorus Kids? They have a good chance to get into the next iteration of Smash without any support. :/

This is likely Isaac's only shot.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Chorus Kids? They have a good chance to get into the next iteration of Smash without any support. :/

Is there any evidence for that? Do we even know they were considered for Smash 4 outside that one rumour that technically didn't even come true.

Neoxon

Is there any evidence for that? Do we even know they were considered for Smash 4 outside that one rumour that technically didn't even come true.
There was data found on the Smash U disc containing work on the Chorus Kids. Gematsu was right, albeit premature.

Gartooth

I don't think it was a "snub," people have it in their heads that they have to meet certain quotas for new characters, you hear folks say that Zelda "deserved" another character too. They're not going to arbitrarily add a new character just because they were in a recent game.

That said I want Cranky Kong.

Zelda did alright. It got 3 new stages and a large amount of items and ATs. The series has the quirk of keeping a revolving door of supporting characters, which might be the reason that a lot of people have gravitated towards Impa, Ganon, and Toon Zelda lately.

Zelda did alright. It got 3 new stages and a large amount of items and ATs. The series has the quirk of keeping a revolving door of supporting characters, which might be the reason that a lot of people have gravitated towards Impa, Ganon, and Toon Zelda lately.

The Zelda characters in Smash are starting to get a little stale. They haven't had a proper new comer in 15 years (as much as they want Toon Link to count, he doesn't), and for a series as huge and important as Zelda, they really need to make an effort to try and find another character.

Further, 2/3rds of the Zelda characters don't even have fully unique move sets. I really like Toon Link and Ganondorf as they are, but it's hard not to feel like Zelda is kind of cheated in Smash, character wise.

And it's not that there aren't reoccurring characters out there that couldn't be added. Impa, Ganon and Tingle are three important Zelda characters that could be playable. Tingle has his own entire series he could rep! And plenty of one off villains would work, Skull Kid + Majora are a hugely popular, well known villain that, despite only really being in one game, is iconic and memorable as a Zelda villain. Midna is the most memorable partner Link has ever had and everyone loves her. Girahim was a great villain, creepy and would be nice. Basically, all the Zelda ATs could be playable, despite 3 of them being one off characters.

RomanceDawn

Honestly, if you just made the wings and tail smaller (Like the Super Metroid design which is Ridley's most popular Smash request design, this one seems like a fusion between Super Metroid and Other M) he'd be a perfect fit.

Let's not forget this mod was created by a 14 year old. That. Is. Awesome.

And it really shows the length the fans will go to for their favorite Smash characters. Some will just make them themselves.

I do understand Sakurai's reasoning about Ridley(partially anyway) but I hated that he brought up the wings as being an issue. You could make Ridley as big as the one in this mod and give him Charizards wings and they'd still be bigger than the wings of all 2D Ridley's. I like small winged Ridley, there is something really alien about it.

At this point all I can hope for is the votes keep reinforcing his popularity and mods like the Project M one get cleaned up so well that it forces everyone and their mother(including Sakurai) to rethink Ridley.

As for Zelda it seems like the only way we'll get a newcomer that isn't a toon version or pig Ganon is if someone besides Tingle starts to become a reoccurring character. Of course Tingle or Impa could be that character especially now after Hyrule Warriors but we'll see. If the Skull Kid with Majoras Mask came back for one more game I would push for him hard!

Pizza

I wish they'd make ganondorf more like melee. Better animations,a touch faster, and no panting. Plz. He's a joke.

Also can they fix Donkey Kong? How hard is it to balance punches?

Has anyone given any thought to using the vote to try and get Alph separated from Olimar in a patch?

He doesn't really need much, the majority of the work to make him a clone already exists. He'd just need to use the Drake in his entrance and Final Smash animations, a few taunt animations and a Final Smash and Alt trophy (he already has a classic mode style trophy they could re purpose for classic mode). Him and Olimar would also need 4 more recolors. Not really that much to add in a patch, and Alph really does kind of feel cheated.

Obviously he wouldn't be DLC, and there isn't really anything to gain necessarily from doing so, but it just seems weird Alph is entirely ignored while everyone and their mother get to be clones. Including a straight texture swap with a different voice... also a nice chance to use the neglected Rock Pikmin.

Could push the PR as adding "a brand new 100% free character, look how cool we are!"

Has anyone given any thought to using the vote to try and get Alph separated from Olimar in a patch?

He doesn't really need much, the majority of the work to make him a clone already exists. He'd just need to use the Drake in his entrance and Final Smash animations, a few taunt animations and a Final Smash and Alt trophy (he already has a classic mode style trophy they could re purpose for classic mode). Him and Olimar would also need 4 more recolors. Not really that much to add in a patch, and Alph really does kind of feel cheated.

Obviously he wouldn't be DLC, and there isn't really anything to gain necessarily from doing so, but it just seems weird Alph is entirely ignored while everyone and their mother get to be clones. Including a straight texture swap with a different voice... also a nice chance to use the neglected Rock Pikmin.

Could push the PR as adding "a brand new 100% free character, look how cool we are!"

I could get behind this. I also want them to give Wario his old colors back, because why the fuck were they removed in the first place when Little Mac has like 16?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A custom colours feature would be even better, but that's asking for way too much.

Talking of things that need change but will not happen; Stage builder needs work too.

This is likely Isaac's only shot.

What? Why would Isaac have an issue? He's not like Ice climbers or Chorus Kids nor was he an assist trophy in either wiiu or 3ds version. He's ideal for a poll like this

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What? Why would Isaac have an issue? He's not like Ice climbers or Chorus Kids nor was he an assist trophy in either wiiu or 3ds version. He's ideal for a poll like this

I think he meant that Chorus Kids have high chance to become playable characters without ballots support, when Isaac don't. He think that Isaac need a lot of supports in order to become playable character.

Tried to keep it rhythmically similar so you can sing along in English without straying too far from the goofy lyrics...

When tomorrow rolls around, let's eat a bunch of bananas
I just wanna live my life, lazy like the flowing river
Somewhere out there, somebody is laughing and having a good time
So let's join in on the fun and keep on dancing
Somewhere out there, somebody is crying like a waterfall
That's the time to get together and lend a hand
And, out from behind the clouds, the sun comes shining through
But if you come on by and say hello to friends near and far
Your heart'll grow brighter, too
When tomorrow rolls around, we can see our friends again
So let's wish upon a star and enjoy a pleasant dream

THIS IS SO PERFECT. So deep!

If I could, I'd pay you to translate all the song lyrics from the Japanese dub...:p

Pizza

I wish they'd make ganondorf more like melee. Better animations,a touch faster, and no panting. Plz. He's a joke.

Also can they fix Donkey Kong? How hard is it to balance punches?

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
A custom colours feature would be even better, but that's asking for way too much.

Talking of things that need change but will not happen; Stage builder needs work too.

I could get behind this. Sure being able to hand draw the terrain of the stage is a great change from Brawl, but there's like four items you can place on the stage (each having two sizes). I'd love to use custom stages more often but I hate how bare bones they feel.

At the very least I'd like the option to put a 2D background layer on the stage to make it appear like you're indoors or underground.

Features I'd like to see implemented in Sm4sh:

Alpha Mode - Allows players to play Challenge/All-Star variants of stages in Vs. mode.
My Music Swap - Switch music tracks between stages, create personalized stage playlists.

All I can think of at the moment.

Ryce

Speaking of Isaac, it seems a lot of people interpret his "suspicious" absence as making him a prime DLC candidate, but I always saw it the other way — Sakurai thinks so little of Isaac that he was near the bottom of the Assist Trophy priority list when it came time for cuts, along with other minor handheld characters like Helirin, Ray Mk III, and Jill.

"Better animations"? He shared everything with Captain Falcon in Melee. No thanks.

L Thammy

I know Midna is popular, but they're still relegated to one main entry and a spinoff. I think assist trophy is a good place for them until they take a bigger role in their own series. I'd say the same thing about Skull Kid (specifically, the Majora's Mask wearing one we care about) or Ghirahim. They're all characters I like, but there's no real reason why one should go in over the other.

Impa and Pig Ganon are the most long-standing, recurring characters in the Zelda franchise who aren't playable. Tingle's another popular character who has appeared in many games. Vaati's also been the main villain for a number of games, though I don't think he'd make a good pick because he's primarily been in eyeball form.

Also, all of you multi-voting cheaters are making me feel the peer pressure. :|

Pizza

"Better animations"? He shared everything with Captain Falcon in Melee. No thanks.

I want him to have his own *good* animations: the king of evil runs at a leisurely jogging pace while bowser the turtle monster sprints past.

Real Hero

Tingle and Ganon do need to be added. I can't believe neither have been tbh although there's probably a perception Tingle is really hated.

Tingle and Ganon do need to be added. I can't believe neither have been tbh although there's probably a perception Tingle is really hated.

The Hyrule Warriors DLC proves that Tingle has enormous moveset potential, so I hope he gets added next time. The only reason I didn't vote for him on the Fighter Ballot is because he's already an Assist Trophy.

Features I'd like to see implemented in Sm4sh:

Alpha Mode - Allows players to play Challenge/All-Star variants of stages in Vs. mode.
My Music Swap - Switch music tracks between stages, create personalized stage playlists.

All I can think of at the moment.

I've been suggesting the bolded for the longest time and would love to see it happen.

Tingle could use his Rupeeland style.

His alt colors are pretty obvious too, white, blue, pink, a bright green for Wind Waker style, "dark" Tingle because every Zelda character gets one, and maybe purple or some other color.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Speaking of Isaac, it seems a lot of people interpret his "suspicious" absence as making him a prime DLC candidate, but I always saw it the other way — Sakurai thinks so little of Isaac that he was near the bottom of the Assist Trophy priority list when it came time for cuts, along with other minor handheld characters like Helirin, Ray Mk III, and Jill.

Yep, that's why we didn't get any trophy from Golden Sun, especially they could rip some models from Golden Sun Dark Dawn to make trophies for Smash 3DS. Only thing from Golden Sun that actually made in Smash 4 is only two musics.

That's why I don't really set my expectation high for Isaac being playable character.

I would buy Assist Trophies DLC Pack if they included all assist trophies veterans that didn't make the cuts, along with Coach

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Since people liked the Wonder Red Moveset idea, here's one I made for my vote, Torterra!

sHcAFk1.jpg

And you thought Bowser was big? The Grass/Ground Continent Pokemon quakes into battle, the largest and heaviest Smash Bros. yet! He can't move fast, he can't jump high, but this Pokemon is one powerful guy! He can soak up hits like nobody's business, and won't flinch from many weaker attacks allowing him to charge right into danger thanks to his Shell Armor. Just don't let him fall off an edge, or it's bye-bye usually! A few Pokemon live on Torterra---a Starly, who helps him out, a Burmy, and a Pachirisu. He is strong enough to protect them as he is their home!

Torterra's strengths are of course his amazing defense, able to tank weak attacks without flinching and keep on moving, allowing him to rush down projectile fighters. This is called Shell Armor, and is in effect for Torterra up until 200%, after which he loses the effect and becomes slightly easier to knock away as he'll now flinch. He's also got some very potent attacks, so if he can corner the foe, he doesn't have a lot of trouble scoring a K.O. He's at his best on flat, level stages, where opponents don't have a lot of room to escape. Torterra can crawl, but he's so big it barely changes his height.

Torterra's biggest weakness is his slow speed, as he slowly walks forward and his dash, which resembles Bowser's old "tank treads", isn't much faster. His size makes him a real easy target. Furthermore his attacks, while powerful, have slow-start up times and great ending lag, but thanks to Shell Armor, he can perform them uninterrupted from most attacks. Torterra suffers whenever he has to leave the ground, as he can barely jump twice, and falls quite fast, so if he falls off the edge, he'll have a rough time getting back. He's also the only character who cannot shield, since Shell Armor acts like a "shield" of sorts, to balance him out, so he's all about charging down the foe. On some of the more gimmicky stages, he'll have a lot of difficulty.

For his intro, Torterra is released from a PokeBall, and roars as he stomps the ground. When Torterra is critical, which for him happens when Shell Armor expires at 200%, his shell is cracked and one of his horns is chipped.

Colors: Torterra's basic set of colors references various seasons, changing the color of his green parts, or tree colors in general. He also has his Shiny Coloration.

1. Default Summer 2. Orange Fall 3. White Winter 4. Pink Spring 5. Dark Red 6. Dirty Brown 7. Purple 8. Shiny

Neutral: Bite. Torterra chomps forward, for a Neutral it's unusually slow, but does a lot of damage but little knockback.

Forward Tilt: Headbutt. Torterra rams his head forward, once more it's slow, but powerful, and with decent knockback.

Up Tilt: Growth. Torterra's tree rattles, and "grows" upward, striking a foe. Slow and powerful, and with a bit of extra range.

Down Tilt: Sand Attack. Torterra sends out a quick blast of sand, it's got good range, but doesn't do much damage nor knockback, but is his fastest neutral.

Dash Attack: Tackle. Torterra lunges forward, falling down a bit but colliding into the foe. Has a lot of ending lag, but since Torterra can usually charge without flinching, it can become a pretty reliable move to catch projectile users with. Good knockback.

Neutral Aerial: Body Slam. Torterra spreads his arms and legs out, buffeting a foe away. Not a lot of range, the most damage is caused if they're caught under Torterra, but since he can't jump well, this doesn't happen often. Hitting the foe with outstretched arms barely does anything.

Forward Aerial: Roar. Torterra lets out a roar, and pushes his head forward. Fast, but quite weak compared to the rest of his moves, and not a lot of range.

Back Aerial: Tail Whip. Torterra whips his tail to the side. Also fast, but weak.

Up Aerial: Stone Edge. Torterra's spikes extend into the air, piercing the foe. Fast, but weak, like the rest of his aerials.

Down Aerial: Earthquake. Torterra spreads his body out, and his falling speed quickly increases. Will meteor smash a foe if he lands on them from above, and push them down to the ground, otherwise he'll be unable to move as he plummets to the ground, smashing into it. A foe landed on will be sent flying into the air. Since Torterra can't jump that high, however, it's hard to catch a foe with this unless he gets some height somehow.

Grab: Torterra's neck reaches out, and he grabs a foe with his powerful jaws. He can then pummel by biting into them. It has very low range, and is slow, so grabbing is not the easiest to do. However if he can grab a foe, his throws are quite lethal.

Forward Throw: Energy Ball. Torterra's mouth glows, and a burst of energy smashes the foe, sending them flying. Very strong with a lot of damage and knockback.

Back Throw: Strength. Torterra whips his head around, tossing the foe a far distance backward, doesn't do a lot of damage but high knockback.

Up Throw: Razor Leaf. Torterra tosses the foe, and then his tree shoots out multiple leafs that pierce through the foe, doing multiple damage, and then tosses them into the air. The weakest throw, knockback wise.

Down Throw: Rock Tomb. Torterra lifts his body up and throws the foe down, slamming down on them delivering a powerful attack as they're sent flying upwards.

Forward Smash: Crunch. Like Bite, except Torterra stretches out his neck, delivering a powerful crunch. It's slow, but a great K.O. move due to its range.

Up Smash: Leaf Storm. Torterra's tree glows, and he launches a swirl of leafs above him that sucks in a nearby foe, before throwing them away. Less knockback, but racks up multiple hits, and can suck in foes, so it's a good move for the close-range Torterra.

Down Smash: Sand Tomb. Torterra whips his tail around, summoning a sand tornado that surrounds his body and moves outward. Long startup, but the sandstorm has great range, pushes foes back and deals damage, so it can be useful for getting an annoying foe away from Torterra.

Neutral Special: Seed Bomb. Torterra's only real long-range move, Torterra pulls back and then a large, glowing seed is thrown from his tree. You can slightly aim the arc it falls in. When the seed collides with the ground, or hits a foe, it explodes, acting like a miniature B-Bomb which hits the foe multiple times. Torterra can get hit by the explosion as well, but since he's a tank, he can risk it and won't flinch from it, and in fact it's easier to hit a foe closer. The move does decent damage, but doesn't have a lot of knockback, but this allows Torterra to follow up is he's fast enough. The only downside is it has a slow startup.

Side Special: Wood Hammer. Simillar to Charizard's Flare Blitz, Torterra crouches for a second, and then does a sideways jump, his shell facing forward, and tries to smash into the foe. It causes Torterra to take damage even if he misses, more damage if he actually hits the foe, but once more he can soak it up. The move is very powerful if it connects, and is Torterra's best killing move, even though it's got a lot of startup to it and is easy to see coming. After Torterra uses it, he'll briefly be on his side and will have to prop himself back up, so he's vulnerable especially if he misses. This move can be used in the air, and is a choice for horizontal recovery, however he'll go into the "grounded" pose when he hits the ground, plus since Torterra falls so fast, it's hard to use it in the air.

Up Special: Fly. There's a little Starly that lives on Torterra, that is seen in a few of his flavor poses. However, Starly can actually assist Torterra for one move, Fly! This works quite differently from Charizard's version, however. Starly appears and struggles to lift Torterra by his tree, giving him a bit of height before tiring out and desperately trying to flap as the two fall back down to earth, eventually releasing Torterra as he falls into his helpless state. It's Torterra's last-chance move, basically, to try and recover, and Torterra cannot act until the touches the ground again, so he's vulnerable. His falling speed is slightly decreased with Starly, though, so it might save him. When used on the ground, Starly will do the same, slightly lifting Torterra up before falling down, except the moment of lift is a bit longer, so it can be used to move around better.

Down Special: Bulldoze. Torterra lifts his front foot, and this can be charged---the longer you charge, the further the range of the move. When you release it, Torterra slams his foot down, and dirt erupts from the ground in a straight line. Any foe touching the ground at the time will sink into the ground and be buried, allowing Torterra to approach them. It's a good way to trap a foe by timing it so it traps them when they land. Once more, like his other attacks, this move takes a bit to get started and has slow startup and ending lag, but it can potentially stop an opponent in their tracks. Torterra cannot use this move in the air.

Final Smash: Synthesis. Torterra's Final Smash is unique, in that it isn't offensive based, but instead defensive based! A giant sun appears, and Torterra steadily glows, healing him up to 200%! Refreshed and rejuvenated, he's ready for action. Furthermore, after the healing effect, Torterra is temporarily surrounded by a glowing aura, which slightly increases his movement speed allowing him to jump back into the game.

This is actually the reason I didn't vote for K. Rool, he's getting so much mainstream support already it seems it doesn't seem like one more vote for him would really matter. Same reason I didn't vote Wonder Red, who I actually want a bit more than K. Rool. Actually for Donkey Kong I still want Dixie over K. Rool honestly, but I still think she's been considered for DLC long before this poll began.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What about something that gives homage to Nintendo's history...

Nintendo_Hanafuda.jpg

HANAFUDA DRAWS ITS TRUMP CARD!

alternatively wasn't there a Japan-only character made by Nintendo who is all about them cards?

Soul Lab

This is actually the reason I didn't vote for K. Rool, he's getting so much mainstream support already it seems it doesn't seem like one more vote for him would really matter. Same reason I didn't vote Wonder Red, who I actually want a bit more than K. Rool. Actually for Donkey Kong I still want Dixie over K. Rool honestly, but I still think she's been considered for DLC long before this poll began.

Seriously. Wonder Red needs every vote he can get. ^^ Pls don't think he is so popular because of GAF. ;)

Neoxon

Seriously. Wonder Red needs every vote he can get. ^^ Pls don't think he is so popular because of GAF. ;)
Agreed, just GAF, SmashBoards, & TeamFourStar alone won't cut it, we need more.

By the way, if you want the proper Wonderful One treatment for your avatar (I.E., my banner that will fit your avatar like a glove & not stitched on), PM Quick & tell him Neoxon referred you to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom