• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitoro

Voted for Dixie Kong and Paula from Earthboud as my reasonable votes.

My less reasonable votes were Klonoa and Geno. I don't think Nintendo would be too keen on putting in an obscure a character as Klonoa, or dealing with Square-Enix for Geno.

Linkhero1

Like I said before:

Sakurai probably has a certain number of characters in mind. Characters he's already deemed OK. And he probably has a rough sketch in his head (or on a napkin) about how each character might work. Not down to the last detail like he did with Greninja, but he probably has some ideas.

The poll will help him decide which of those characters he will make. Let's say he has 10 characters in mind, and plans to make three. The poll might push him more toward certain characters than others.

I'd think that if Sakurai had characters lined up, he wouldn't go with an open poll format. It wouldn't make sense to go with an open poll format since it's more time consuming to sift through, especially with all the joke entries.

Azure J

I'd think that if Sakurai had characters lined up, he wouldn't go with an open poll format. It wouldn't make sense to go with an open poll format since it's more time consuming to sift through, especially with all the joke entries.

While I do believe that there's a bit more merit to the votes for getting DLC characters sorted out, this might just be the equivalent to the previously Japan exclusive Dojo votes on characters players wanted to see in future titles. IIRC the Brawl and Melee ones were the only ones ever fully published and they were translated way after the fact. (AKA, statistics they could use to determine more characters to add in the future, especially as with 4, they've hit the high points on most franchises included and want to gauge what else would garner player interest.)

The poll is nothing more than an elaborate scheme to placate fans for when he puts in Wonder Red.

That way they can be like "he did well enough in the polls!"

Fandangox

The poll is nothing more than an elaborate scheme to placate fans for when he puts in Wonder Red.

That way they can be like "he did well enough in the polls!"

hqdefault.jpg

Neiteio

I imagine the first goal of the ballot is to get marketing data, thus the gender question

Characters are probably a nice coincidence
That's a good point.

I'd say it's equal parts marketing data and marketing move.

To the guy earlier who asked "why make it open format if Sakurai has characters in mind" — because this way no one's disappointed knowing Sakurai might've also made characters X, Y and Z.

Of course, I have no way to prove Sakurai has characters in mind. But c'mon, this is Sakurai we're talking about. World's No. 1 Control Freak.

While I do believe that there's a bit more merit to the votes for getting DLC characters sorted out, this might just be the equivalent to the previously Japan exclusive Dojo votes on characters players wanted to see in future titles. IIRC the Brawl and Melee ones were the only ones ever fully published and they were translated way after the fact. (AKA, statistics they could use to determine more characters to add in the future, especially as with 4, they've hit the high points on most franchises included and want to gauge what else would garner player interest.)

I don't think the Brawl one was ever published, because I remember people trying to say Geno was #1 in the poll back when the real Brawl craziness was going on and nobody was ever able to produce anything other than Sakurai saying Sonic absolutely destroyed everyone, and that Villager and Miis also scored well but weren't going to be added, or something like that.

If I had to guess, I imagine the majority of the characters in the Brawl roster were top scorers in the poll. But it's meaningless because those characters would have gotten in anyway (other than Sonic).

I actually don't believe Smash 4 had an official poll, but I think Famitsu (?) ran a sort of unofficial one, and such beloved characters like Dark Pit did very well in it. Ike got more votes than Marth lol, this was long before either was confirmed.

I actually don't believe Smash 4 had an official poll, but I think Famitsu ran a sort of unofficial one, and such beloved characters like Dark Pit did very well in it. Ike got more votes than Marth lol, this was long before either was confirmed.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Nintendo Dream character poll Sakurai once retweeted and people love to throw around. It has nothing to do with Smash Bros, just a Nintendo magazine conducting a character poll. I'm not sure if it's a monthly feature, but I know it's at least taken rather frequently and is rather dependent on recent releases.

edit: Yeah, that one. Not a Smash Bros poll.

Linkhero1

I imagine the first goal of the ballot is to get marketing data, thus the gender question

This is what I thought of first once I saw that question. I do agree with Azure J to a degree. It's been done before, but I'm not sure what the outcome of those polls were and if Sakurai decided on who to put into the next iteration based on the poll results.

To the guy earlier who asked "why make it open format if Sakurai has characters in mind" — because this way no one's disappointed knowing Sakurai might've also made characters X, Y and Z.
People will be disappointed regardless, so I still don't see why they would go with this format if he had anyone particular in mind. I agree with ShockingAlberto. It's probably a means to gather data and nothing more.

Gartooth

I was just looking up the Melee poll. Really fascinating results to look back on. Bowser, Peach, Wario, King Dedede, Ganondorf, Diddy Kong, Mewtwo, Marth, Meta-Knight, and Pokemon Trainer all eventually made it in by Brawl and they were top scorers. Young Link, Zelda,(surprised she was low TBH) and Sheik all got a decent amount of votes as well and they were added to Melee. Fighters that scored well at the time but still aren't in Smash are Toad, Mew, Gooey(Kirby's Dreamland 3), James Bond, and Banjo & Kazooie.
I would buy all 5.

Neiteio

NARRATOR: "At some undefined time in the future... In Sakurai's skull-shaped fortress, on the moon..."

SAKUR-CAT: "It's time to count the votes, master." *meows and swipes at toy mice*

SAKURAI: "Yes... Yes, I suppose it is, Sakur-cat."

*Sakurai swishes aside his cape with a majestic flourish of his robot arm, and sits down at his computer*

SAKURAI: "Let's see... Hmm... OK, so the top vote-getter is Son Goku... Can't do that, obviously... Second place is Naruto... Also can't do that... Shrek? No... Fonzie? No... Wayne Brady? No... The Brady Bunch? No..."

*cut to image of hands twirling on the clock*

SAKURAI: "...OK, finally. A videogame character! Only took the first 5,500 vote-getters! And it's... Rouge the Bat. Followed by Big the Cat. Followed by 'That chick Sonic made out with in Sonic '06.'"

SAKUR-CAT: "Well, they are videogame characters."

*Sakurai looks at a Post-It note on his computer monitor. It reads: "Feel free to use any of our characters -- Sega."

*Sakurai crumples the note and throws it in a trashcan*

SAKURAI: "Moving on... We have... Oh... King K. Rool."

*Sakur-cat and Sakurai look at each other*

SAKUR-CAT: "How much dignity do you have left?"

*A tear rolls down Sakurai's waxen cheek*

SAKURAI: "Not enough."

kirby_fox

Banned
NARRATOR: "At some undefined time in the future... In Sakurai's skull-shaped fortress, on the moon..."

I see it more like...

Iwata: Mr. Sakurai, has your team started to tally up votes yet for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS?

Sakurai: Yes. Our current tallies are showing a desire for some favorite characters, like Wonder Red from Wonderful 101 and K. Rool from Donkey Kong. Even the Inkling characters from Splatoon.

Iwata: That is great news. However, our amiibo data from North America shows that Mario is selling more amiibo than any other character. What do you think about putting in another Mario character?

Sakurai: There are lots of fans of Waluigi, Daisy and even Captain Toad.

Iwata: I was thinking of a different character that would appeal to women, but also to men.

Sakurai: Mr. Iwata, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Iwata: Please put in Pink Gold Peach. The fans in America want it.

Fandangox

Wait you said your copy

It was you all along, pack it up folks.

On topic the ballot is obviously for marketing, but they are STILL gonna receive the data so might as well let them know who we are interested in for whichever purpose.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Nintendo Dream character poll Sakurai once retweeted and people love to throw around. It has nothing to do with Smash Bros, just a Nintendo magazine conducting a character poll. I'm not sure if it's a monthly feature, but I know it's at least taken rather frequently and is rather dependent on recent releases.

edit: Yeah, that one. Not a Smash Bros poll.

Oh ok, that's passed around as a Smash 4 poll often, and I don't know Japanese.

So yea, it doesn't look like Smash 4 actually had a poll, unless it was done internally.

RomanceDawn

The whole Ridley size argument reminds me of the arguments people had about the Koopalings as Bowser Jr. alts when the rumors first started. Before they were shown off people said it wouldn't make sense for the Koopalings to all be the same size. Now that the game is out nobody seems to care anymore.

This needs to be mentioned more often. We can assume something will look bad especially if we think about it hard enough. However once its all said and done it becomes the norm and we end up liking it. Well except for Bowser sliding on his belly to run. It was obvious Sakurai couldn't figure out a decent way for him to run and had that nonsense going for years. Glad it's gone.

I know I'm in the minority but before Olimar was announced for Brawl. I imagined you would control a giant swarm of Pikmin who would move around like cartoon bees or something with Olimar at their center. When he was revealed I just remember thinking he looked so strange as a big regular sized person. After 45 seconds though it was a non-issue. Same with the Koopa kids, only by then I had fully come to terms with the scaling Smash does to characters. People swore up and down you couldn't fit Morton and Lemmy into the same size without it looking weird. The game is out, they are all relatively the exact same size and absolutely no one cares! We are just happy they are even there and don't think twice about it any more.

Ridley has always been hunched over and scrunched up, in every single game he is depicted. Just look at Super Metroid or Metroid Prime. If he stood up right yes that would be a huge problem but the same thing can be said for DK. Have you seen his model in a T pose complete up right standing?

As for the wings, even when 3D big winged Ridleys existed all the 2D games that came out around the same time continued with the original small wings. And please don't BS me with the technical issues because even the official art gave Ridley the small wings. I understand that for a 2D game large wings filling up the screen makes visibility difficult but regardless his official art had tiny wings, they don't need to be Other M or Prime big. As a matter of fact Charizard's wings and Ridley's wings are about the same size despite the huge difference in body size. Giving Ridley Charizard's wings would keep him very true to all the 2D Metroids.

His little neck hasn't been an issue since Other M, look at the Project M model. It's obvious they went with that Other M's proportions because they are more human like. Only they got rid of the ugly old man duck face and replaced it with the Super Metroid Head.

To me the tail is the biggest issue by far. I say solve the problem by keeping it closer to his body curling it somewhat like an "S" on its side. Or if that looks weird just don't give it a hurt box and don't allow his tilts to go as insanely far as the mod's. There are so many creative ways to go about it. Long range Smash Attacks are very common now with Snake, Villager, Duck Hunt, Mii Gunner, Palutena and Mega Man so that's no problem there. The way I see it Ridley's tail can function under special attacks very well. Imagine Link's arrow for a second. Now hold B with Ridley and he gets into some kind of scorpion/cat pounce stance charging up. When Link releases the button the arrow goes flying across the screen, when Ridley does it his tail goes flying across the screen only with shorter range obviously. Allowing the long tail to function like a projectile that never truly detaches itself from Ridley can solve any issues of tail tilts and neutrals decimating the playing field. Is that not reasonable?

You know what, I'm going to draw up a move set for Ridley that I think could function well in Smash Bros without breaking the game.

@Neiteio
You are killing me with that scenario! Why is his fortress skull shaped?! Couldn't it have just been a moderate high tech building? Hahaha! And why is it fortress?! Hahaha! What happened that things had to come to that?

Neiteio

@Neiteio
You are killing me with that scenario! Why is his fortress skull shaped?! Couldn't it have just been a moderate high tech building? Hahaha! And why is it fortress?! Hahaha! What happened that things had to come to that?
I aimed for the most realistic depiction.

For brevity's sake, I left out the part where he casually creates a universe in the palm of his hand and then snuffs it out before Sakur-cat starts talking.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Speaking of Neiteio's fan fictions.

Someone decided to write a fan fiction based on AmiiboGAF.

That's what marketing teams for so they can looking through so carefully and find what is proper DLC characters to sell to specific balances between genders.

Neiteio

Seeing Sakurai's copy of AC: Brotherhood reminds me of his Famitsu (?) column on Dark Souls, and makes me wonder if he's been playing Bloodborne.

#RomTheVacuousSpider4Smash

Nanashrew

Banned
What about something that gives homage to Nintendo's history...

Nintendo_Hanafuda.jpg

HANAFUDA DRAWS ITS TRUMP CARD!

alternatively wasn't there a Japan-only character made by Nintendo who is all about them cards?

I don't know of a character for Hanafuda but boy would I love a stage in that art style that pays homage to it. I have dreamed for a game that uses the simplistic and unified design Hanafuda has for its art style.

L Thammy

I have no idea what Neitieo was trying to reference, but Sakurai in a skull-shaped fortress with a cat just makes me think of Dr. Claw.

Tyeforce

I know everyone's most excited about which fighters we'll get as DLC, but what about Mii Fighter costumes? I haven't seen many people talking about those, and I think trying to predict what we'll get is quite interesting. It seems that they're using DLC Mii Fighter outfits to please fans of characters that aren't exactly worthy of becoming a fighter by putting them into the game as Mii Fighter outfits instead. However, any character that gets turned into a Mii Fighter outfit would have to fit into one of the three Mii Fighter classes: Brawler, Swordfighter, or Gunner. Any ideas as to who we'll see next? I think a Knuckles costume for Mii Brawler is pretty much guaranteed. I'd like to see a Tails outfit over Knuckles, but I'm not sure he would fit into one of the Mii Fighter classes well... I suppose Tails could be a Brawler, too, though, but Knuckles is more fitting.

Fandangox

As Gartooth mentioned before, if Wonder Red is not a DLC character, I will be more than okay with a Wonderful 101 set costume for the Mii fighters. Wonder Red for Brawler, Blue for Swordfighter, and Green for gunner.

L Thammy

It seems that they're using DLC Mii Fighter outfits to please fans of characters that aren't exactly worthy of becoming a fighter by putting them into the game as Mii Fighter outfits instead.

I can see that for Protoman and Dunban, not so much Link. Honestly, what I'd rather have is a set of default Mii Fighters that can be used online. I don't have much need beyond one default and one tricked out fighter of each class.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I know everyone's most excited about which fighters we'll get as DLC, but what about Mii Fighter costumes? I haven't seen many people talking about those, and I think trying to predict what we'll get is quite interesting. It seems that they're using DLC Mii Fighter outfits to please fans of characters that aren't exactly worthy of becoming a fighter by putting them into the game as Mii Fighter outfits instead. However, any character that gets turned into a Mii Fighter outfit would have to fit into one of the three Mii Fighter classes: Brawler, Swordfighter, or Gunner. Any ideas as to who we'll see next? I think a Knuckles costume for Mii Brawler is pretty much guaranteed. I'd like to see a Tails outfit over Knuckles, but I'm not sure he would fit into one of the Mii Fighter classes well... I suppose Tails could be a Brawler, too, though, but Knuckles is more fitting.

I have a feeling that they are going to make some mii costumes to pleased fans that their characters didn't make in.

You heard me, Sakurai. IF you are not going to add Takamaru as playable character then just please give me Takamaru Mii costume. You could port from NintendoLand to Smash Bros.

Tyeforce

As Gartooth mentioned before, if Wonder Red is not a DLC character, I will be more than okay with a Wonderful 101 set costume for the Mii fighters. Wonder Red for Brawler, Blue for Swordfighter, and Green for gunner.
That'd be better than nothing if Wonder-Red doesn't make it in! Though I'm not sure sure how well Wonder-Green would work for a Mii Gunner outfit. Since the Mii Gunner design has an arm cannon, it makes it hard for it to work with characters other than Mega Man- or Samus-like characters with a blaster on their arm...

Neiteio

I have a feeling that they are going to make some mii costumes to pleased fans that their characters didn't make in.

You heard me, Sakurai. IF you are not going to add Takamaru as playable character then just please give me Takamaru Mii costume. You could port from NintendoLand to Smash Bros.
I love the Takamaru costume in Nintendo Land. That's a great idea.

Judging by the Proto Man & X outfits, the DLC costumes seem to be going all-out in terms of looking like the actual characters.

I'm guessing we'll get ones for more humanoid figures.

Maybe ones for Snake (if he doesn't get back in) or Bass?

Linkhero1

That's what marketing teams for so they can looking through so carefully and find what is proper DLC characters to sell to specific balances between genders.

Which doesn't really explain why a poll would be open ended if he has a list of characters in mind :)

Enough about the poll, back to speculating about who might be a surprise entry into Smash.

Tyeforce

I can see that for Protoman and Dunban, not so much Link. Honestly, what I'd rather have is a set of default Mii Fighters that can be used online. I don't have much need beyond one default and one tricked out fighter of each class.
Well, yeah, I don't think ALL DLC Mii Fighter outfits will be based on characters that can't be fighters, obviously, but it's a great opportunity for some characters!

How did I not think about this myself?! Yes, Takamaru outfit, please!!

Well, judging by the Proto Man & X outfits, the DLC costumes seem to be going all-out in terms of looking like the characters.

Yes, but X and Proto Man still keep the arm cannon design. That's a big part of the Mii Gunner's character. To replace it with a separate gun that the Mii holds would require a lot of new animations and such, so I find it hard to believe that we'll get costumes for characters like Wonder-Green or Snake.

L Thammy

I'm pretty sure it's playable or nothing for Snake. Why pay Konami to use Snake if you're just going to sell the costume?

EDIT: Rather, why go through the discussions with Konami at all if you're just going to get a costume out of it.

Yes, but X and Proto Man still keep the arm cannon design. That's a big part of the Mii Gunner's character. To replace it with a separate gun that the Mii holds would require a lot of new animations and such, so I find it hard to believe that we'll get costumes for characters like Wonder-Green or Snake.

I was thinking of the Snake costume being for the Mii Brawler, Snake may use a lot of weaponry, but he's also a skilled hand-to-hand fighter.

I'm pretty sure it's playable or nothing for Snake. Why pay Konami to use Snake if you're just going to sell the costume?

EDIT: Rather, why go through the discussions with Konami at all if you're just going to get a costume out of it.

Hmmm, didn't think about that.

Fandangox

I wasn't really thinking of changing the arm cannon for Mii Gunner for Wonder Green, I don't really think it'd look that jarring to leave like that.

Ryce

I don't think there will be Mii costumes for characters who haven't already been given new models for this game. Takamaru seems likely, done in the style of his Assist Trophy.

Gartooth

I brought it up as a joke to mess with people, but I'd feel pretty bad for W101 fans if that was what happened. :O Still, getting a costume rather than a character is better than getting neither.

Fandangox

I brought it up as a joke to mess with people, but I'd feel pretty bad for W101 fans if that was what happened. :O Still, getting a costume rather than a character is better than getting neither.

I know you did, but I would be okay with that, I think most of the people supporting Wonder Red on Smashboards would welcome the idea too if Wonder Red doesn't become playable.

Neiteio

For the Mii Fighters, I want the weird-ass jungle cat/floral print shirts that Sakurai always wears.

The kind that make you giggle with your girlfriends and say, "That's So Sakurai!"

Crayolan

Well I'd guess the characters near the top of the poll would also be the characters which would bring in the most DLC downloads, so the poll will probably have some influence on what other characters they choose to make.

Plus it's good data for newcomers in Smash 5.

Neiteio

If everyone says they're female and votes for K. Rool, maybe we'll get some interior decorator game where a surprisingly sweet and sophisticated K. Rool debates what shade of pink would make the the curtains complement the carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom