• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually the reason I didn't vote for K. Rool, he's getting so much mainstream support already it seems it doesn't seem like one more vote for him would really matter. Same reason I didn't vote Wonder Red, who I actually want a bit more than K. Rool. Actually for Donkey Kong I still want Dixie over K. Rool honestly, but I still think she's been considered for DLC long before this poll began.

Somebody made a good Jennifer Hudson analogy the other day. K. Rool and Wonder Red both need your support.

Sorry everyone, I would just like to interject one thing.

One week til Mewtwo codes go out.

Carry on.

It really is hard to believe there's one more week until Mewtwo, probably the single largest cut Smash has had. A cut that made no sense at all and still doesn't, finally returns to Smash in all his glory.

It'll feel weird honestly. Even weirder than having Doc back after so long felt.

Soul Lab

Agreed, just GAF, SmashBoards, & TeamFourStar alone won't cut it, we need more.

By the way, if you want the proper Wonderful One treatment for your avatar (I.E., my banner that will fit your avatar like a glove & not stitched on), PM Quick & tell him Neoxon referred you to him.

hey, thx a lot for the offer. maybe I'll do that!

RomanceDawn

tSMX50z.png

complete the trio sakurai plz

Seriously! Dixie's been my favorite Kong since DKC2. I wonder at what point they stopped designing her with the knee pads? And after all these years I've only just noticed she originally had nail polish. Glad they got rid of that.

If I could find out why Rare went with Tiny way back during the 64 days I think I'd be able to sleep easier for the rest of my life. Pisses me off to this day.

Honestly, if you just made the wings and tail smaller (Like the Super Metroid design which is Ridley's most popular Smash request design, this one seems like a fusion between Super Metroid and Other M) he'd be a perfect fit.

Let's not forget this mod was created by a 14 year old. That. Is. Awesome.

And it really shows the length the fandom will go to for their favorite Smash characters. Some will just make them themselves.
I really can't understand the argument if Ridley being too big. Look at Browser in most Mario games. Mario Party, Mario Galaxy, Sunshine, 3D world, 64. He's huge! Like ten times thr size of Mario. They shrunk him, do why not Ridley?

The only problem now is that Ridley is part of a stage now and he's huge. Now it'd be weird to have him. Before that he'd be perfect.

Fandangox

Somebody made a good Jennifer Hudson analogy the other day. K. Rool and Wonder Red both need your support.

Yeah. Even if you think they are popular you should still vote for them. I kind of had a similar logic on why I didn't vote for Inkling (I think they are at least secured for the next smash game) but realized it ultimately just should be to vote for whoever one wants.

I do think either Dixie or K.Rool are probably the safest bet for DLC. If you also think that, it shouldn't stop you from voting them, it should encourage you to.

That said, vote for Wonder Red people

L Thammy

Seriously though, Mewtwo was my favourite character in Melee, tiers be damned. So much fun luring my friends into an attack and then teleporting behind them. I can't think of another game where DLC is as exciting as Smash.

Fandangox

Agreed, just GAF, SmashBoards, & TeamFourStar alone won't cut it, we need more.

By the way, if you want the proper Wonderful One treatment for your avatar (I.E., my banner that will fit your avatar like a glove & not stitched on), PM Quick & tell him Neoxon referred you to him.

Would they be able to resize an avatar.

I asked in the smash threads to resize an image I wanted to use as avatar since I have no editing tools other than paint, but everyone ignored the request :C

RomanceDawn

Does anyone out there still believe or ever once thought Lucario was a clone of Mewtwo? After his DLC trailer I can't imagine anyone would think so after those clear cut close ups.

Neoxon

Would they be able to resize an avatar.

I asked in the smash threads to resize an image I wanted to use as avatar since I have no editing tools other than paint, but everyone ignored the request :C
Quick is a wizard at graphic design, so maybe. Just PM him, but don't harass him, the last thing he needs is his inbox being blown up to kingdom-come.

I really can't understand the argument if Ridley being too big. Look at Browser in most Mario games. Mario Party, Mario Galaxy, Sunshine, 3D world, 64. He's huge! Like ten times thr size of Mario. They shrunk him, do why not Ridley?

The only problem now is that Ridley is part of a stage now and he's huge. Now it'd be weird to have him. Before that he'd be perfect.
Bowser can be shrunk without looking silly because he's thick, without a lot of small details and has always been shown with way different sizes. Ridley is too thing and lanky to scale him down without him looking really bad.

And before anyone posts that Project M video, that Ridley looks awful and actually proves why he can't be in Smash like that. He looks cramped and like he's perpetually crouching, and his range is ridiculous for a character his size.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
No one should not vote for a character they think is "too popular" if they want that character to win. Every vote counts people! K Rool and Wonder Red need all the help they can get! This poll lasts until October, and there's several games that can come out between now and then. Fire Emblem: if, for example. Splatoon being another? Does it release in that time frame?

VOTE!

Sponge

Banned
Seriously! Dixie's been my favorite Kong since DKC2. I wonder at what point they stopped designing her with the knee pads? And after all these years I've only just noticed she originally had nail polish. Glad they got rid of that.

If I could find out why Rare went with Tiny way back during the 64 days I think I'd be able to sleep easier for the rest of my life. Pisses me off to this day.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the reasons Tiny was made was because Dixie's ponytail would have been hard to animate back then. I think the DK64 team also just wanted to use new characters. Dunno why.

Glad to see Playtonic posted about K. Rool. It seems like we're likely to get some kind of new DK character, whether that's K. Rool or Dixie. They still need all the votes they can get though.

L Thammy

Bowser can be shrunk without looking silly because he's thick, without a lot of small details and has always been shown with way different sizes. Ridley is too thing and lanky to scale him down without him looking really bad.

And before anyone posts that Project M video, that Ridley looks awful and actually proves why he can't be in Smash like that. He looks cramped and like he's perpetually crouching, and his range is ridiculous for a character his size.

I always figured that it wasn't a matter of him being "big", but a matter of his proportions. Ridley's tail has always been the length of his body, and he uses it like a spear. His body also tends to be folded in from what I've seen, so you'd either get that cramped look or disjoint hitboxes.

Compare to Charizard, who also has a similar body type, but is much stouter and stands in a much more open pose.

Red Devil

Has anyone given any thought to using the vote to try and get Alph separated from Olimar in a patch?

He doesn't really need much, the majority of the work to make him a clone already exists. He'd just need to use the Drake in his entrance and Final Smash animations, a few taunt animations and a Final Smash and Alt trophy (he already has a classic mode style trophy they could re purpose for classic mode). Him and Olimar would also need 4 more recolors. Not really that much to add in a patch, and Alph really does kind of feel cheated.

Obviously he wouldn't be DLC, and there isn't really anything to gain necessarily from doing so, but it just seems weird Alph is entirely ignored while everyone and their mother get to be clones. Including a straight texture swap with a different voice... also a nice chance to use the neglected Rock Pikmin.

Could push the PR as adding "a brand new 100% free character, look how cool we are!"

I wouldn't mind the opposite, adding Brittany and Charlie as Olimar alts.

I could get behind this. I also want them to give Wario his old colors back, because why the fuck were they removed in the first place when Little Mac has like 16?

What do you mean by original colors? I don't think I'm getting what you mean.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Does anyone out there still believe or ever once thought Lucario was a clone of Mewtwo? After his DLC trailer I can't imagine anyone would think so after those clear cut close ups.

There are some people that are still believe in Mewtwo/Lucario clones. I can't wait for Wolf's announcement (if it's happening) then people are going to bitch about how we got three clone characters instead of newcomers.

Wario had six biker colors and six overalls colors in Brawl, but he only has four of each in this game. He lost four of his alternate colors.

I lost my favorite color alt of Wario Biker but I found new one pretty quickly tho.

If only this had been done with Brawl when the Geno hype was at full intensity. Haha, the Geno fanbase was annoying as shit, but I still want him in dammit!

backlot

The whole Ridley size argument reminds me of the arguments people had about the Koopalings as Bowser Jr. alts when the rumors first started. Before they were shown off people said it wouldn't make sense for the Koopalings to all be the same size. Now that the game is out nobody seems to care anymore.

Gartooth

Both Wario series are great, I wouldn't object to stuff from either. Wario Land music is a must though.

Diamond City could look cool as a stage.

kirby_fox

Banned

Lucario felt like Mewtwo's replacement in the same way your cousin could replace you. You may be similar, but it's pretty obvious you're not the same person.

To be fair to the vote, I only put one in for Ice Climbers because I feel like cut characters are all that's truly missing from this Smash game. Add back IC, Wolf, Roy and Pichu and it'd be a great cast. Snake would be nice to have back, but I always took him to be a one-time deal.

Ridley and Dixie I feel are the only "missing" characters these days, and I really only feel strongly about Dixie. Always felt Ridley would lose some of his Ridley-ness when making him smaller and not having him flying.

I wonder how many votes ballot would have if Geno Force from Brawl went at it with full force?
I mean, he's apparently getting a fair amount this time, but yeah, would've been crazy during the Brawl era. Still, I'm not holding my breathe. Wonder Red and Isaac are the two I can see happening that would get me really excited. K. Rool or Dixie seems like a given.

Red Devil

Bowser is inconsistent from game to game, add to that he even magically changes size within a same game, even if theoritically his size is established...

Wario had six biker colors and six overalls colors in Brawl, but he only has four of each in this game. He lost four of his alternate colors.

Ah, I thought you meant like his overalls.

MrBadger

No one should not vote for a character they think is "too popular" if they want that character to win. Every vote counts people! K Rool and Wonder Red need all the help they can get! This poll lasts until October, and there's several games that can come out between now and then. Fire Emblem: if, for example. Splatoon being another? Does it release in that time frame?

VOTE!

I doubt any of the characters that appear popular on Gaf will even be that popular in the bigger picture anyway. Most people will be voting for Goku and Shadow the Hedgehog. Or Artix.

J@hranimo

Banned
Mewtwo's boring. We already know what Mewtwo is. The new Smash Bros DLC could be anything! It could even be Mewtwo!

Lol I one you keed, but what an exciting time! Smash Bros DLC! Woo!

It really is hard to believe there's one more week until Mewtwo, probably the single largest cut Smash has had. A cut that made no sense at all and still doesn't, finally returns to Smash in all his glory.

It'll feel weird honestly. Even weirder than having Doc back after so long felt.

Yeah I feel you. I mean it was cool to see Doc in the ESRB leaks but at the same time it was strange to see him, a clone, come back before Mewtwo the original moveset character. Glad they're fixing him too, no more reflected projectiles going through your opponent lol.

Tyeforce

The leader of the Wonderful 101, Wonder Red jumps into battle! He's brought along the other 100 Wonderfuls as well, through a new wrist device built by Professor Shirogane named the "Wonder Brace". As Wonder Red strikes foes and builds up %, the "Wonderful Counter" next to his icon slowly rises from 0 to 100...this allows him to utilize miniature Unite Morphs by tapping into the power of the rest of his team! By charging Smash Attacks and Specials, Wonder Red can make them more powerful. The stronger they are, the more the Wonderful Counter drops, so mind it at all times!

Every 1% of damage inflicted is equivalent to 2 Wonderful, and damage inflicted with Unite Moves do not count. He also steadily gains 1 Wonderful every 10 seconds. Each Unite has a different Wonder Counter requirement to move up tiers, but you can tell which one is possible as when you begin charging, the line drawing appears that's either small, medium, or large, depending on the max you can charge too.

Wonder Red's taunts are quite long, but have a unique element...when a Taunt is done successfully, Wonder Red is temporarily surrounded by an aura, increasing his damage output by 1%.

Grab: Red's grab is unique, as he summons the Unite Whip, and can charge it...this increases its range, but the start-up time also goes up. He cannot pummel, instead foes caught by the whip are automatically damaged by its spikes as long as they're held, the bigger whip hurting them more. The move has start-up time, and is telegraphed so it's hard to capture foes unless they're not paying attention.

Forward Throw: Red snaps the whip, and throws the foe at a slightly diagonal forward angle. Weak knockback, but does a decent amount of damage.

Back Throw: Red whips the whip behind his back, and delivers a swift kick to the foe, sending them flying straight. Has highest knockback out of all the throws.

Up Throw: Red whips the foe into the air like a tornado, sending slightly into the air. Doesn't do a lot of damage, but leaves them open for a combo.

Down Throw: Red pulls whip into the air, and then slams the foe into the ground, a meteor smash, and does a signifcant amount of damage.

Forward Smash: Unite Hand Stinger! You can charge this up the higher your Wonderful Counter is, which extends its range and power. Red's fist morphs into a giant fist and punches straight forward, with powerful knockback. At higher levels, it also slides along the ground slightly, as well as has an initial "super-armor".

Up Smash: Unite Hand Rising! Works like the Unite Hand Stinger, but does an uppercut instead. At higher levels, also slightly rises through the air. Lacks the super-armor property, however, and has less knockback, but is faster.

Down Smash: Unite Hand Cyclone! Works like the other Unite Hands, but instead creates a fist and quickly spins around on the ground. Getting hit by the beginning of the spin hurts the most. At higher levels, draws nearby foes in. Medium speed and strength, but the weakest in terms of knock-back.

Neutral Special: Unite Gun! Red summons a green gun, and fires a strong projectile across the screen. The more the Wonderful Counter is and the longer it's charged, the more powerful the blast is, however start-up time increases. There are three tiers...the first is a basic rounded blast that goes about halfway across the screen, with little knock-back, but can be fired at a decent speed. Second is a beam that stretches across the screen, little knockback still, but hits multiple times. Third is a giant missile that shoots straight forward and picks up speed, with powerful knockback, but slow start-up.

Side Special: Unite Claw! Red summons white claws, and jumps forward and delivers a powerful slash. It's quick, does a lot of damage, but has little knock-back. There are three-tiers to it, and need to be charged, but charges quite fast. It actually gets faster the more its charged, and does more damage, but jumps farther so you may overshoot it. The final tier also freezes the foe upon striking them.

Up Special: Unite Sword! Red summons a blue sword, and does a spin akin to Link that lifts him up into the air. The tip of the sword causes the most damage, and has decent knock-back. Based on the Wonderful Counter, the recovery and size are increased, however it can't be charged, so it automatically uses the highest amount possible. Start up time goes down the higher level, as does the speed. Afterwards Red is helpless.

Down Special: Unite Hammer! Red summons a yellow hammer above his head, and slams it down to the ground. The hammer does the most damage when the head is parallel to the ground, and has a meteor effect. Using this in the air causes Wonder Red to fly downward, uncancellable, when the hammer drops. Chargeable, and has three tiers...range and strength increases, but start-up time and speed drop.

Final Smash: Unite Bomb! Red summons a black bomb, which explodes and creates a black field. Anyone caught by the explosion enters a rainbow-colored room, where a cinema plays where the main Wonderful 101 Team! Unite Up! and deliver a powerful combination attack. It quickly builds up damage, and at the end, anyone over 100% will probably be KO'd. Afterwards, the Wonderful Counter drops to 0.

Despite being Wonder Red, each of his costumes change his color...except the black markings and the red scarf always remain! His final color is a unique costume that depicts him in his civilian clothes!
1. Red 2. Blue 3. Green 4. Pink 5. Yellow 6. White 7. Black 8. Will Wedgewood
This is amazing. I had about given up hope for a The Wonderful 101 character and transferred that hype over to Inkling, but this brings me right back. I feel like it won't happen, but it would be SO good if it did!!

Ridley's always hunched over and crouching isn't he? Even when he's in the air.

latest

And it's still in development, so I'd imagine his range and animations will get better as time goes on.

Sorry everyone, I would just like to interject one thing.

One week til Mewtwo codes go out.

Carry on.

This wait just feels like it takes forever...

Since people liked the Wonder Red Moveset idea, here's one I made for my vote, Torterra!

sHcAFk1.jpg

I approve of this. A lot of the grass type starters like Torterra and Serperior have potential to have really unique & awesome movesets like this.

You just have to have a creative mind.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm mildly curious to see how Sakurai would do Golden Sun's Isaac. Since there are many things that could going on for Isaac, like Sword, Djinn and Psynergy. It seem overwhelmed when you have many things that you need to fit in Isaac to represent Golden Sun itself.

0tkb77K.jpg

Not a clone of Mewtwo, but I always thought (and keep thinking) that Lucario was based on him. Not because of his moves, but rather because of Lucario's behaviour in Brawl, which was similar to Mewtwo. For example, the way he is floaty and move slowly, and how his aura attacks are similar to pyschic attacks.

Funny thing is, all of my friends who did not know Lucario's type, thought he was Psychic because of Brawl.

Fandangox

Got a new Wonderful avatar for the Smash hype thans to starphoenix. GO RED

I'm moldy curious to see how Sakurai would do Golden Sun's Isaac. Since there are many things that could going on for Isaac, like Sword, Djinn and Psynergy. It seem overwhelmed when you have many things that you need to fit in Isaac to represent Golden Sun itself.

0tkb77K.jpg

I think Isaac could work similar to Shulk in that different Djinn would be like different stances, except instead of properties/stats they change Isaac's special moves. Like Down B lets you cycle/combine djinn and you get a variety of special attacks depending on your current set.

It would probably have to lock Isaac to a set for a period of time once selected, or this could be done in the way of Custom moves similar to how Palutena and the Miis have completely different special moves in customs as opposed to variations.

Lucario and Mewtwo just happen to coincidentally both be Pokemon and both have a similar signature move.

Shadow Ball and Aura Sphere are iconic moves of the two characters, so it's hard to really know if it's anything more than coincidence. Especially since both moves function very differently and other than that the characters don't particularly share any other similarities other than very roughly similar air physics, but Mewtwo is closer to Jigglypuff and Wario than he is Lucario in that regard. And their forward Smash kind of, but Mewtwo's is based on his Stadium special attack animation so that's almost certainly just coincidence as well.

Linkhero1

Thinking about it, what are the chances Nintendo actually uses the poll data to create a new set of DLC? My gut is telling me nothing will come out of this poll in form of DLC.

kirby_fox

Banned
Thinking about it, what are the chances Nintendo actually uses the poll data to create a new set of DLC? My gut is telling me nothing will come out of this poll in form of DLC.

I've thought this from the beginning because of how they're doing it. If all the DLC characters are getting amiibo too, then I suspect that 3rd party characters are going to be really hard to get compared to Nintendo characters.

Besides ones like Rayman, where the company wanted the character in and were told no. Makes me wonder if Microsoft sent someone over to have a meeting with Nintendo over putting BK in.

Probably because DK64 started development right after DKC1, that's the only explanation I got *shrug*

Neiteio

Like I said before:

Sakurai probably has a certain number of characters in mind. Characters he's already deemed OK. And he probably has a rough sketch in his head (or on a napkin) about how each character might work. Not down to the last detail like he did with Greninja, but he probably has some ideas.

The poll will help him decide which of those characters he will make. Let's say he has 10 characters in mind, and plans to make three. The poll might push him more toward certain characters than others.

At the end of the day, though, if Sakurai feels like characters with fewer votes would make for more interesting fighters, he'll probably make those characters instead.

And then when they unveil them in some future Direct, they'll just pick out ballots that support the decision, even if in reality there were fewer of those ballots.

Which is fine. It's still neat to know Nintendo will have data showing what we want. And it keeps us talking. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom