• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javier

c3ctN5d.png

That reference tickles me just right.

If everyone says they're female and votes for K. Rool, maybe we'll get some interior decorator game where a surprisingly sweet and sophisticated K. Rool debates what shade of pink would make the the kurtains complement the karpet.

As long as he changes his persona suitably for it, now that would look pretty terrifying even by his standards.

I have 698 trophies

Bring on Mewtwo, so I can finally get that 700 trophy achievement without grinding out Trophy Rush RNG. I can probably beat both classic and all star in about 20 minutes.

Probably not, but I wonder if those "beat x with all characters" challenges will be updated to include Mewtwo if you own him. I don't even think those count Miis

If everyone says they're female and votes for K. Rool, maybe we'll get some interior decorator game where a surprisingly sweet and sophisticated K. Rool debates what shade of pink would make the the curtains complement the carpet.

"Super Princess K. Rool"

Finally. A video game girls can play. This would be groundbreaking.

As Gartooth mentioned before, if Wonder Red is not a DLC character, I will be more than okay with a Wonderful 101 set costume for the Mii fighters. Wonder Red for Brawler, Blue for Swordfighter, and Green for gunner.

Actually while I was watching the direct, they did the costumes first and my first thought was... they are totally making a wonderful 101 set. Then the ballot was revealed and I was like screw that, gimme dat wonder red goodness.

At this point im super torn. Im convinced that if Red makes it in as a character, he would be here to stay, which in turn would help the chances at the IP being used elsewhere. As happy as I am for anything W101, I feel like this is a chance not just for a character I like, but for the entire IP.

Although I know that sentiment doesnt just extend to Wonder Red... seriously, being in smash is like being accepted to the immortal nintendo hall of fame. I mean just look at roy and him being actually popular even though he is like the worst FE lord lol.

Neoxon

Actually while I was watching the direct, they did the costumes first and my first thought was... they are totally making a wonderful 101 set. Then the ballot was revealed and I was like screw that, gimme dat wonder red goodness.

At this point im super torn. Im convinced that if Red makes it in as a character, he would be here to stay, which in turn would help the chances at the IP being used elsewhere. As happy as I am for anything W101, I feel like this is a chance not just for a character I like, but for the entire IP.

Although I know that sentiment doesnt just extend to Wonder Red... seriously, being in smash is like being accepted to the immortal nintendo hall of fame. I mean just look at roy and him being actually popular even though he is like the worst FE lord lol.
Hey Quick, get this man a Wonder Mask & banner.

Probably not, but I wonder if those "beat x with all characters" challenges will be updated to include Mewtwo if you own him. I don't even think those count Miis

I was so curious about this I set up an experiment.

I still have the "beat 10 man Smash with every character under 25 seconds" challenge locked.

So what I did is beat it with everyone except Toon Link.

My plan is, when Mewtwo is out, to beat it with Toon Link. If I unlock the challenge, that means DLC characters don't count in challenges like that. If I don't unlock it, it means DLC does count (if you own it).

My thought is that DLC might count for these challenges, because I think it might actually take more work to not allow DLC for then to just let the game handle its score keeping automatically. They'd basically have to write an exception in the challenge tracker for DLC characters, and other than the game getting longer with each DLC, I don't really see a point in not requiring them for these challenges

Azure J

I love the Takamaru costume in Nintendo Land. That's a great idea.

See, I would absolutely adore this idea since the TakaMiirus are the best looking Miis in NintendoLand, but then I remember that Mii Swordfighter is rough in Smash 4 and I kinda cringe. :lol

On topic though, JCOnyx put this up on Twitter earlier:

i7fxelK7nmJIa.png

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Idea for Wonder-Red trailer

We see a silhouette of a tall slender woman with long legs. Tricking the audience into believing Bayonetta is in. But then Wonder-Red punches her and it's Vijounne from W101. "Wonder-Red Unites Up!"

See, I would absolutely adore this idea since the TakaMiirus are the best looking Miis in NintendoLand, but then I remember that Mii Swordfighter is rough in Smash 4 and I kinda cringe. :lol

I would approve of a Takamaru outfit. Then my Takamaru Mii would look legit. :)

jnWake

What about the best lord in Fire Emblem?

The Great Lord Hector of course!

images

Hector.png

He has swag, blue hair and an axe! What more would you want?

A moveset you say? But of course!

Normal B: Handaxe. Can be thrown in any direction like Metal Blade.
oswin_general_handaxe.gif

I know this is Hector's super best friend Oswin launching the Hand Axe but I couldn't find a GIF of him doing it...

Side B: Axe chain. Command grab like Scorpion's GET OVER HERE!
oswin_general_axe.gif

Borrowed from his pal General Oswin.

Up B: Axe spin. Like Link's Up B.
bartre_warrior_axe.gif

Borrowed from his other pal, crazy axe wielder Bartre.

Down B: Hector Bomb. Like Yoshi/Bowser bomb but with a fucking Axe.
hector_greatlord_axe.gif

Just look at that majestic motion. Yes, this GIF is indeed Hector.

And if you don't like axes, Great Lord Hector can also use swords but, who wants more swordsmen?

I would normally say Eliwood or Lyn for Smash, but we need more Heavy brute types in smash, Too many light and nimble swordsmans, so Hector seems like a nice pick.

I will consider him for when I do my second wave of voting. :p

I'd think that if Sakurai had characters lined up, he wouldn't go with an open poll format. It wouldn't make sense to go with an open poll format since it's more time consuming to sift through, especially with all the joke entries.

This is the same format the Brawl poll held in 2006 was in, and Sakurai has said every character who made it into that game, with the exception of Snake, was already planned to be in in 2005. So I could believe that this poll is basically a formality.

This is the same format the Brawl poll held in 2006 was in, and Sakurai has said every character who made it into that game, with the exception of Snake, was already planned to be in in 2005. So I could believe that this poll is basically a formality.

To be fair lets say hypothetically the Inkling ends up being the number 1 request for DLC world wide. Regardless of if the character was planned before winning or not or already in development when they "won" they can still say "and the winner of the poll to be made into a fighter is *insert inkling trailer here*". At the same time Inkling may not be planned at all, win the poll, they work on DLC, do the same kind of announcement and we'd be none the wiser.

There certainly can't be any harm in voting

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Watch Da Birdie's Top 5 DLC Wants

1st Party, Established Series
1. Dixie
2. Kamek
3. Torterra or Hawlucha
4. Gooey
5. King K. Rool

1st Party, New Series
1. Tin Star
2. Wonder Red
3. Takamaru
4. Mach Rider
5. Code Name S.T.E.A.M. character (anyone, honestly)

3rd Party, Sega/Namco/Capcom
1. Zero
2. Billy Hatcher
3. Eggman
4. Amaterasu
5. Ryu

3rd Party, Other Company
1. Bomberman
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Yami Yugi
4. Warrior of Light Final Fantasy
5. Endou Mamoru (Level 5's Inazuma 11)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I would normally say Eliwood or Lyn for Smash, but we need more Heavy brute types in smash, Too many light and nimble swordsmans, so Hector seems like a nice pick.

I will consider him for when I do my second wave of voting. :p

I'd love to see Gaius, just because I'd wanna see how Sakurai would handle a thief-character...

Plus he's apparently supes popular in Japan, right behind the Lords.

Dragmire

I think this whole ballot is just pointless, wasted marketing when it's obvious to everyone that the next Smash newcomer will be the classic, beloved character Wizpig from Diddy Kong Racing.

Phu

Banned
I think this whole ballot is just pointless, wasted marketing when it's obvious to everyone that the next Smash newcomer will be the classic, beloved character Wizpig from Diddy Kong Racing.

I....I think I would like that, very much.

Excuse me, I have to go vote for Wizpig.

What about the best lord in Fire Emblem?

The Great Lord Hector of course!

images

Hector.png

He has swag, blue hair and an axe! What more would you want?

A moveset you say? But of course!

Normal B: Handaxe. Can be thrown in any direction like Metal Blade.
oswin_general_handaxe.gif

I know this is Hector's super best friend Oswin launching the Hand Axe but I couldn't find a GIF of him doing it...

Side B: Axe chain. Command grab like Scorpion's GET OVER HERE!
oswin_general_axe.gif

Borrowed from his pal General Oswin.

Up B: Axe spin. Like Link's Up B.
bartre_warrior_axe.gif

Borrowed from his other pal, crazy axe wielder Bartre.

Down B: Hector Bomb. Like Yoshi/Bowser bomb but with a fucking Axe.
hector_greatlord_axe.gif

Just look at that majestic motion. Yes, this GIF is indeed Hector.

And if you don't like axes, Great Lord Hector can also use swords but, who wants more swordsmen?

A giant-ass battle axe and a badass cape?

Welp, I'm all for another Fire Emblem rep.

Really, anyone with a giant axe I'm up for as a playable character.

Dragmire

I....I think I would like that, very much.

Excuse me, I have to go vote for Wizpig.

Whenever someone selects him, the Smash platforms disappear and you just race.

...And there are coins everywhere on the track.

...And one of his alt costumes is zero suit Wizpig.

To be fair lets say hypothetically the Inkling ends up being the number 1 request for DLC world wide. Regardless of if the character was planned before winning or not or already in development when they "won" they can still say "and the winner of the poll to be made into a fighter is *insert inkling trailer here*". At the same time Inkling may not be planned at all, win the poll, they work on DLC, do the same kind of announcement and we'd be none the wiser.

There certainly can't be any harm in voting

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I'm probably still going to vote (for Snake lol) later. I just don't really think they're going to draw any DLC characters from this poll, unless there's some huge outlier like I imagine Sonic must have been.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, it's sort of funny watching everyone with a half way marketable character try and use smash to gain more attention.

That's because this Smash Ballot is marketing gold, especially with no sort of restrictions or guide lines other than "video game character" on it, even if any Nintendo fan knows only Nintendo characters or beloved third parties with a Nintendo history have any shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom