• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't around for pre-Brawl hype. How so?

I was not around here either for the brawl cycle. I think there was a strong following for megaman in brawl to the point it got over obsessive. Dint someone get banned for having megaman hidden in their avatar even when it was against the rules at the time? Might be confusing forums.

But even outdside of GAF the Megaman fans were loud ( in both good and bad ways ).

(I forgot how tough it was to post on mobile @-@)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It feels like he had a more sizable one leading up to Smash 4...

I think back pre-Brawl, everyone was obviously expecting Diddy Kong to be next, and the Donkey Kong series was basically on hiatus---it seems there wasn't a lot of Donkey Kong fans around, really. We had some cute spin-offs, but nothing major.

Then Donkey Kong Country Returns came out, and with K. Rool being absent, I think people sort of began to miss him even though prior to this it didn't really feel to me like people cared for him much. He was a fun antagonist, but wasn't seen as vital to Nintendo or anything. I guess once he was gone, people sort of had that "oh, why didn't I ever tell him I loved him!" moment. So, it seems like in the lead-up to Smash 4, he was sort of a character a lot of people wanted back.

Also I feel overall there was a far larger pool of big-name characters people wanted in Brawl that shrunk by the time we got to 4---Pit, Wario, DeDeDe, Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Wolf---all them got in, and leading up to 4 most of the wants except for Ridley and K. Rool were more minor characters, or new characters that hadn't been around for long.

It feels like he had a more sizable one leading up to Smash 4...

I think back pre-Brawl, everyone was obviously expecting Diddy Kong to be next, and the Donkey Kong series was basically on hiatus---it seems there wasn't a lot of Donkey Kong fans around, really. We had some cute spin-offs, but nothing major.

Then Donkey Kong Country Returns came out, and with K. Rool being absent, I think people sort of began to miss him even though prior to this it didn't really feel to me like people cared for him much. He was a fun antagonist, but wasn't seen as vital to Nintendo or anything. I guess once he was gone, people sort of had that "oh, why didn't I ever tell him I loved him!" moment. So, it seems like in the lead-up to Smash 4, he was sort of a character a lot of people wanted back.

Also I feel overall there was a far larger pool of big-name characters people wanted in Brawl that shrunk by the time we got to 4---Pit, Wario, DeDeDe, Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Wolf---all them got in, and leading up to 4 most of the wants except for Ridley and K. Rool were more minor characters, or new characters that hadn't been around for long.

Makes sense. I remember everything else in brawl being icing on the cake after Sonic.... and now I just suck at using him :(

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I was not around here either for the brawl cycle. I think there was a strong following for megaman in brawl to the point it got over obsessive. Dint someone get banned for having megaman hidden in their avatar even when it was against the rules at the time? Might be confusing forums.

But even outdside of GAF the Megaman fans were loud ( in both good and bad ways ).

(I forgot how tough it was to post on mobile @-@)

W-Well Wonder Red fans are pretty vocal too!

>.>

<.<

ALL HAIL THE KREMLING KING!

Zubz

Banned
Someone really doesn't like the King.

I think K Rool will do better than you expect. He'll at least be up there with Isaac, Inklings and the like.

Yeah, he has more of a fanbase than I was expecting. I know we have nothing to go off of besides guesses, but I honestly think he might be in the Top 3 worldwide.

The only thing I'm still salty about is Falcondorf's moveset. It just baffles me why he's still the way he is, and they haven't said anything about it or why he's the same.

I really want Smash Bros. to have more villains, if I could vote twice, I probably would vote for King K. Rool.

I will not vote again though, because that would make me feel cheap.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, he has more of a fanbase than I'm expecting. I know we have nothing to go off of besides guesses, but I honestly think he might be in the Top 3 worldwide.

All we can do is wait. A lot can happen between now and October with new games that may come out and have popular characters on the poll, assuming it's not forgotten about after the initial hype wave rolls over. There are plenty of mini fan polls with consistent results throughout various Western and Japanese sites, but we won't know for sure until the ballot closes, if we are even told then.

But for the first time I actually feel good about K Rool's chances.

The only thing I'm still salty about is Falcondorf's moveset. It just baffles me why he's still the way he is, and they haven't said anything about it or why he's the same.

Yeah, I hear ya. Deathborn or Black Shadow could easily fit into that moveset, but Ganondorf, although being a sorcerer, is also a sword wielder. I wouldn't mind a "DLC Character" that essentially replaces Ganondorf with a more proper moveset for him but I doubt that's coming.

nerdbot

With Lucas coming back and almost every character I wanted in Smash 4 already here, I don't really care what's going to happen. Personally, I would vastly prefer Cranky Kong, and I feel like he'd make more sense than Dixie or K. Rool, and there's so much more fun stuff you could do with him and his role as the original DK and as an old-timer. I wanna see Cranky get another shot at Mario, I wanna see him hang out with Mr. Game & Watch in a newcomer trailer like they're old pals, I wanna see him finally get revenge on DK for ruining his gramophone in the DKC1 intro, I wanna see him dunk Sonic in the no-hopers garbage bin for his final smash, I wanna hear him sing about holograms.

(He should totally talk even if it doesn't make sense that he can and DK and Diddy can't.)

I wouldn't complain if Dixie or K. Rool made it in, but Cranky is my country bumpkin of choice. Hands down. Team Cranky For Life.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of, what do you all think are the chances of Nintendo occasionally stoking the embers of this here poll and Smash hype in general once it's deflated outside of GAF/SmashBoards/etc.? Think it will deflate at all or will the hype and competition rage on?

Crocodile

I remember there was a moratorium put on even talking about Mega Man in the context of Smash by the mods during the Brawl hype days. Everybody was SO SURE he was getting in for so long. Things got pretty crazy.

Speaking of, what do you all think are the chances of Nintendo occasionally stoking the embers of this here poll and Smash hype in general once it's deflated outside of GAF/SmashBoards/etc.? Think it will deflate at all or will the hype and competition rage on?

Since the "vote" extends until October, I figure something will happen around the release of Lucas and any other DLC already in production to get people talking about this again. There are a lot of things, like even partially discussing the results so far, they could do to get people in a tizzy again if things cool down.

Merc_

I think it will start to calm down a little only to start up again at E3. After that, we'll get the hype at every Nintendo Direct until the last character is announced.

Hatchtag

Banned
Well with all those K.Rool twitter and facebook posts, I would not be THAT surprised if he was top 10.

I kinda think there's a pool of about 16 characters that I wouldn't be surprised to be playable as a result of this poll, and then anyone else would probably surprise me. This isn't based on my opinions but rather just who I've seen mentioned the most often.

In no particular order,
All Cut Vets
Ridley
K Rool
Dixie
Chorus Kids
Wonder Red
Banjo/Kazooie
Isaac
Bayonetta
Inkling

I think one of the things that surprises me the most is how little I've seen of people wanting a new Zelda rep when a new Zelda rep was often thought as damn-near certain before Smash 4's release. I think three of the most popular Zelda candidates (Skull Kid, Ghirahim, and Tingle) being Assist Trophies might be to blame.

All they have to do is do an update of some kind in one direct and then boom, a precedent is set

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I guess the lack of Zelda demands might be because it just had a big crossover game and everyone's satisfied with that?

I kinda think there's a pool of about 16 characters that I wouldn't be surprised to be playable as a result of this poll, and then anyone else would probably surprise me. This isn't based on my opinions but rather just who I've seen mentioned the most often.

In no particular order,
All Cut Vets
Ridley
K Rool
Dixie
Chorus Kids
Wonder Red
Banjo/Kazooie
Isaac
Bayonetta
Inkling

I think one of the things that surprises me the most is how little I've seen of people wanting a new Zelda rep when a new Zelda rep was often thought as damn-near certain before Smash 4's release. I think three of the most popular Zelda candidates (Skull Kid, Ghirahim, and Tingle) being Assist Trophies might be to blame.

No Daisy? I've seen a lot of votes for her.

Also, I found this on KnowYourMeme, it's suppose to be Japan's most wanted and was posted 2 days ago.

Not sure if it's legit though.

207.png

From what I understand that is not legit, but is being passed as such

Yeah, probably isn't. The fact that Ridley's on there makes me suspicious, since they don't care about Metroid as much as we do.

Is there anyway to know the voting results or are we suppose to wait until they tell us?

Was Wonderful 101 well recieved in Japan? Seems like something they would like....then again thats when the Wii U was struggleling starting out.

Firmly on the K rool isn't even going to chart and dudes going to be surprised for some reason, team.
I second this ...

Someone really doesn't like the King.

I don't think it has anything to do with liking a character or not.
I just can't see the logic in it. I mean ... at ALL!

Like with Wonder red (a character from 1 recent game that flopped, flubbed and face planted soooo hard? As paid DLC?).

Or people who think Nintendo will add in a MS character (I love B-K ... one of my fav 64 game series. But nope).

Completely baffled. I take Goku suggestions more seriously than those 3.

Zalman

I know Krystal isn't exactly a fan favorite character, but I think she would be great in Smash. I don't think she has any chance though.

Neiteio

I know Krystal isn't exactly a fan favorite character, but I think she would be great in Smash. I don't think she has any chance though.
Yeah, I like Krystal. Annoying characterization, but cool-looking design. She could be a staff user, more so than Palutena.

Azure J

I still want to know who that character is on the right of K. Rool in that polling result. Daisy trending high is also a pretty big "woah".

Besides impa, who's left?

The better question is being really honest, put whoever's left up against Impa who's now riding the wave of a unique Skyward Sword incarnation and the raw hype of her playable Hyrule Warriors appearance, who wins out?

I still want to know who that character is on the right of K. Rool in that polling result. Daisy trending high is also a pretty big "woah".

The better question is being really honest, put whoever's left up against Impa who's now riding the wave of a unique Skyward Sword incarnation and the raw hype of her playable Hyrule Warriors appearance, who wins out?

Character next to K.Rool is the first and original main character for the puyo pop series. Belongs to SEGA....and I should totally rock that vote.

And yay for the Daisy love <3

EDIT: beaten, but yeah Arle is her name.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member

A good question. Everyone else is revolving doors in-and-out sidekick or villain. Impa is the only one I know of with several appearances, making her the most (and only, besides Tingle) recurring character next to Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf.

Edit: Also, despite my fondness and bias towards K Rool, I'd actually be stoked if either Krystal or Daisy got in. Ray MK 2 or 3 I'd absolutely adore, and am pleased to see him still popular in Japan (even if he isn't here) because I love Custom Robo, but I don't see him happening, sadly. I can't say much about this chart, or ANY non official poll or chart, but still.

Zalman

Impa should be the next in line for Zelda. She's had multiple appearances, especially recently. I think she could be a unique character.

Neiteio

Impa should be the next in line for Zelda. She's had multiple appearances, especially recently. I think she could be a unique character.
She's the only Zelda character that seems plausible, IMO, but she's not exactly a character that inspires passion among the fans.

Azure J

Requests for Arle from Puyo Puyo are the next gen requests for Lip then, gotcha.

A good question. Everyone else is revolving doors in-and-out sidekick or villain. Impa is the only one I know of with several appearances, making her the most (and only, besides Tingle) recurring character next to Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf.

There's also the upgrade she got in canon as being the fourth "constant" character in the Hyrule Historia's notes on the Triforce Trio to consider. Personally, I'm all for her inclusion since she seems like she'd have a neat jack-of-all-trades thing going on with really impressive visual identity to complete it all. Also, water/time themed powers.

That and Zelda just like DK and Metroid totally deserves a newbie.

Zubz

Banned
I'd take Krystal after getting Snake....he isn't even on there

Seeing how Wolf and Roy aren't on there either, despite apparently being mildly popular, I'm thinking they just didn't count veterans for this.

And yay for the Daisy love <3

Glad to see someone else wants to see her! Honestly, I'd take her over Waluigi, and that guy's perfect.

From what little I've played of Zelda, Impa should definitely be next priority for that franchise. She was amazing in Hyrule Warriors!

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Requests for Arle from Puyo Puyo are the next gen requests for Lip then, gotcha.

There's also the upgrade she got in canon as being the fourth "constant" character in the Hyrule Historia's notes on the Triforce Trio to consider. Personally, I'm all for her inclusion since she seems like she'd have a neat jack-of-all-trades thing going on with really impressive visual identity to complete it all. Also, water/time themed powers.

That and Zelda just like DK and Metroid totally deserves a newbie.

For a new Zelda character, if they didn't go with Toon Zelda, Impa would be the obvious choice. Also, with Impa now being canon on reoccurring along with the Triforce Trio, that's pretty significant, like just a notch under Triforce Trio importance significant.

In no particular order,
All Cut Vets
Ridley
K Rool
Dixie
Chorus Kids
Wonder Red
Banjo/Kazooie
Isaac
Bayonetta
Inkling

The only real possible 1st party newcomers I see are in no order:
1: Chorus Kids
2: K. Rool or Dixie
3: Ridley sometime in the next 50 years. >_>
4: Inklings
5: Toad/Captain Toad
6: Paper Mario

Not going by votes, but who I think has a chance due to overall popularity, and advertisements of ongoing series. Not saying all of these, but don't really see any other 1st parties getting in unless the #1 or #2 isn't in the above list.

Besides the 3rd parties, which let's be real are dead franchises atm, all 1st party newcomers in Smash 4 were mainly advertising new IPs or new characters in old IPs except for Duck Hunt and Little Mac which were retro characters. (I know LM had a new game but the way the franchise plays I can't help but think of it as a remake. Please don't hurt me lol.)

The above list has two retro characters in Ridley and DK rep. And by retro I don't mean they haven't had new games recently, but that their popularity within these games hasn't found a sudden growth, unlike Captain Toad who I think may finally get his time to shine.

Paper Mario and Chorus Kids are two big franchises without reps and are ongoing. Obviously CK were likely cut due to 3DS so who knows if they can make them work. PM might not be considered different enough to Nintendo to get in, but ultimately besides the other five I feel he has the highest chance due to newer games and being a popular ongoing franchise without a rep.

Inklings speak for themselves. Mighty popular and Nintendo is advertising it everywhere. They will be in Smash, just a question of when. May be DLC may be next Smash.

As for third parties, the only ones I see in no order are:
1: Monster Hunter (If creator wants them in.)
2: Jack Frost/Atlus Rep.
3: Yokai Watch Rep
4: Shantae or Shovel Knight if by any chance they come close to winning the poll. Or any other third party character that comes close to winning thats not owned by Konami.
5: Phoenix Wright would also fit right in, but he's the least likely of this bunch.
Edit: 6: Banjo Kazooie of course if they get that to work as a likely DLC character.

But of course, I'm likely completely wrong. But how the roster turned out in Smash 4 I think these are the most likely picks. I think DLC will atleast include one third party character, Inklings, and KRool. Chorus Kids if they get them to work since I think they are the highest priority since they were cut.

That speculation feeling has returned. :D

Azure J

For a new Zelda character, if they didn't go with Toon Zelda, Impa would be the obvious choice. Also, with Impa now being canon on reoccurring along with the Triforce Trio, that's pretty significant, like just a notch under Triforce Trio importance significant.

I remember when I brought this up out of genuine interest/curiosity in one of the old Smash threads and got yelled at because Impa was apparently "Toad tier" in terms of recurring characters in the big franchises.

Funnily enough, Toad finally got his own game.

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I would kill for a Monster Hunter stage. I know people are allergic to stage bosses, but if you were to have a stage boss, settle for nothing less than the best. Imagine a Great Forest stage where Rathalos, Lagiacrus, and Deviljho randomly appear. Perhaps Gore Magala as well (the flagship for MH4U, which is as of right now selling extremely well on the 3DS).

Character wise...you could work with a Felyne, or you could just have "Monster Hunter" which can be male or female like Robin, Villager, or WFT. Attacks could cycle between a variety of Blademaster and Gunner weapons, and specials could be popular items like barrel bombs, shock traps, etc. with several emotes in the game that could serve as taunts, or even a "use potion" animation for a taunt.

The likelyhood of that happening is next to none, but it's a pipe dream for me.

Hell an Assist Trophy featuring one of the MonHun monsters would be fantastic.

I remember when I brought this up out of genuine interest/curiosity in one of the old Smash threads and got yelled at because Impa was apparently "Toad tier" in terms of recurring characters in the big franchises.

Funnily enough, Toad finally got his own game.

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Think Impa has a shot at her own spin off? Pfff, we can't even get Zelda in her own game as playable, let alone Impa or any other Non-Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom