• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's purely going by popularity, I think that K Rool is pretty much guaranteed to get in if not as the first fan vote then one of the first. He's always at or near the top on every fan poll I've seen so far, and if they're any indication of the actual entrants then he should definitely top the list.

One thing you have to keep in mind about DLC though is that Nintendo is under much higher pressure to make characters that people actually want to play then normal, since continued development costs $$$ and with no prospect of "Ultra Smash Bros Arcade edition" coming out they need all the DLC characters they're putting lots of work into to actually sell so they get their money back. As cool as characters like Shantae, Wonder Red, or Shovel Knight might potentially be to play, they don't have the massive built-in player base and might not have broad appeal that will interest people that don't know their source material into buying them anyway. In a similar vein, I think that W101, Shovel Knight, and Splatoon are simply too new to have a massive following yet. (Doesn't help that W101 and Splatoon are only available for Wii U which has much less users then 3DS. Hell, I don't even think W101 even sold over a half million copies, and as dedicated as its following is no one outside of gaming forums knows who Wonder Red is. And FFS Splatoon hasn't even been released yet) The bottom line is that Nintendo needs to make sure that the DLC characters actually sell, so they need to make them as broadly appealing as possible.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That chart does bring to mind the fact that I wouldn't mind if Goemon got in. He's definitely a character with a long history with Nintendo. It's too bad it'll probably never happen.

Also he would bring with him the Impact theme:
https://youtu.be/dRj7XVFd3Ic?t=30s

I could never beat that first Impact Boss as a kid. :/

Hope they can get this on the Wii U VC soon...

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
If it's purely going by popularity, I think that K Rool is pretty much guaranteed to get in if not as the first fan vote then one of the first. He's always at or near the top on every fan poll I've seen so far, and if they're any indication of the actual entrants then he should definitely top the list.

One thing you have to keep in mind about DLC though is that Nintendo is under much higher pressure to make characters that people actually want to play then normal, since continued development costs $$$ and with no prospect of "Ultra Smash Bros Arcade edition" coming out they need all the DLC characters they're putting lots of work into to actually sell so they get their money back. As cool as characters like Shantae, Wonder Red, or Shovel Knight might potentially be to play, they don't have the massive built-in player base and might not have broad appeal that will interest people that don't know their source material into buying them anyway. In a similar vein, I think that W101, Shovel Knight, and Splatoon are simply too new to have a massive following yet. (Doesn't help that W101 and Splatoon are only available for Wii U which has much less users then 3DS. Hell, I don't even think W101 even sold over a half million copies, and as dedicated as its following is no one outside of gaming forums knows who Wonder Red is. And FFS Splatoon hasn't even been released yet) The bottom line is that Nintendo needs to make sure that the DLC characters actually sell, so they need to make them as broadly appealing as possible.

I think it's something we all need to keep in mind, and something that many of us, myself included, fail to think about. DLC needs to sell. A popularity poll certainly helps, to gauge the audience, but I really can't see any character NOT selling for Smash. It's Smash DLC for crying out loud.

Then again I've seen quite a few people state they aren't buying Lucas, and he's a much loved veteran.

Was Wonderful 101 well recieved in Japan? Seems like something they would like....then again thats when the Wii U was struggleling starting out.

Everything pre-mario kart 8 isnt super popular...

Poor Lego City, Pikmin 3, W101, Nintendoland

Only exception is 3D-world and mebbe tropical freeze

But yeah im pretty sure that chart isnt legit

EDIT: Also W101's chances are based entirely off the following

1. get high "enough" on the ballot (not top)
2. Sakurai's good graces for the franchise

so super luck based

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
In other news...I find myself enjoying Dedede quite a lot. He's really fun to play, and the fact that he's actually good is a nice change of pace from my normal main *coughcharizardcough*. Dedede now ranks up there for me with Bowser, Charizard, and Pikachu. It doesn't hurt that I love Kirby 64 and Triple Deluxe, in which Dedede is a playable character in both.

I dunno, I just love heavyweight characters (sans Pikachu).

Anyway, you guys are right. It probably won't take much other than Nintendo just speaking of the Ballot's existence to get people crazy over it again, should the hype ever simmer down.

tkscz

Glad to see someone else wants to see her! Honestly, I'd take her over Waluigi, and that guy's perfect.

She's in the top running for sure if you consider the entire internet rather than just GAF (Daisy isn't liked too well around these parts). I'm more surprised at how many people want her to be specifically in her Strikers Charged outfit as default. I thought that was just me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you're not even going to attempt to use the correct typeface for your Smash Bros splashscreen mockup I will not give your character a vote. Better luck next time Rusty.

Soul Lab

If this is true, we can only expect characters from the Mario universe or a Donkey Kong rep (K.Rool, Dixie). or how do you define broad appeal?

Macka

What? Why would Isaac have an issue? He's not like Ice climbers or Chorus Kids nor was he an assist trophy in either wiiu or 3ds version. He's ideal for a poll like this
I think he meant that Chorus Kids have high chance to become playable characters without ballots support, when Isaac don't. He think that Isaac need a lot of supports in order to become playable character.
Yeah. I'd say Chorus Kids have a good shot to be the oddball choice in the next iteration of Smash, while this poll is really Isaac's last chance to even be considered.

Azure J

If you're not even going to attempt to use the correct typeface for your Smash Bros splashscreen mockup I will not give your character a vote. Better luck next time Rusty.

Times like this I'm glad to be reminded that I'm not the only person who gets weirdly OCD about certain things. :lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
First consider how many of you have said who you voted for on Twitter and then consider whether poll data based on Twitter posts would be indicative of all votes.

ANswer: It's not.

I agree and disagree.

Yes, DLC is a different ball game. People can and WILL skip DLC. I myself have no interest in paying for Lucas seeing as I don't play him and don't care for him. Same for any Vet not named Mewtwo or Pichu or maybe Ivy. Vets are a double edged blade ... you can love em and wanna have them back or you can find them to be not to your liking from how they played before and pass on spending money for a character you know you don't like. (could be why games do Dlc in packs a lot)

A new character though? Has far more draw as you don't know what to expect so as long as they're appealing people who don't even know them will raise an eyebrow. And here's where I disagree with you.

Shantae and SK actually do have pretty damn solid fanbases and they're brung up a lot because of their appeal. They have both successfully had kickstarters that raised over twice as much as their asking amount. Hell, Shantae's fans donated almost 1mil just to help the devs MAKE her new game. I could see them being hugely successful DLC along with Inklings and Bayo and some 3rd party mascot like Ryu or Ivy. New comers not only ride off their appeal in their games but also just general character appeal along with general interest.

Hatchtag

Banned
Maybe it's just me but maybe post-Smash 4 release characters are off-limits?

I wonder if this is a rule as well. The only two big candidates would be Project Steam and Splatoon, and while I really want the Inklings to get in at some point, I worry their paint mechanic would be too hard to do as DLC and would be better saved for a future Smash game.

But again, people should just vote for who they want since we don't have a very clear idea what the rules are. I kinda wonder if Sakurai even knows what the rules are.

Until they specify so it's literally speculation like 99.9% of this is right now. Sakurai's stated very flimsy "rules" for Smash newcomers in the past, the fact there's even a poll taking consumer opinion into account nullifies a lot of these.

E.g. will Ridley be considered at all, even though they took great pains to design around him being playable? Who knows.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

I guess it depends on how far out they are. After all, Yoshi's Woolly World is a stage on Wii U and that game doesn't come out for a good few months yet.

Boney

Banned
What's the difference between ss impa and Shiek? They're the same type of character and impa is second tier in the series. Zelda doesn't have a big enough character to add, and shouldn't be adding more reps just "because it's Zelda"
If they ever make a Zelda fighting game I'd be all in for impa, but as an all stars game like smash, meh, that's be the lamest choice imaginable.

It's never gonna happen so whatever.
I want Oracle Impa.
Now this I could get behind

JediLink

I'd like Impa. I'd like to see what Sakurai would do with her. She'd probably need a totally new design to fit with the Twilight Princess aesthetic.

Boney

Banned
Impa is far more important in the Zelda series than Sheik. She's such an old character with so many appearances, they don't have to be stuck with all ninja moves.
Shiek just like Jigglypuff are in the veteran status. They are part of the Smash Bros franchise. Being Zelda's alter ego also made for a fun gimmick with the character being two in one representing Zelda very well in her most popular incarnation.
Impa has had what? A good supporting role in the last console Zelda (with average sales). A minor role in OOT, that no one cares bout, and being an annoying bossy character (at least, that's how I remember her) in the oracle series. I get that she's cool because she's the first npc ( besides toon Zelda) that has strong fighting abilities that gets to showcase (unlike Shiek that just like playing pretty music and reciting poems, or the losers in TP). But in the end, she's nothing to fawn about.
The only character that I see potential as being both iconic and unique is pig Ganon, representing the old series, but I very much doubt it's ever going to happen.
Tingle would be great as well, but he's been off the series for over 10 years and a huge amount of the player base hate him.

Impa is the oldest reoccurring NPC in Zelda. She was in Zelda, Zelda II, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, a cameo in Wind Waker, two separate characters in Twilight Princess, and a huge character in Skyward Sword. Her most recent appearance was in a Link Between Worlds.

She's one of the first characters to aid Link on his journey, and continues to do so all these years later.

You're seriously underrating her importance in the series. Even without Skyward Sword she would be important enough to be in Smash.

-Horizon-

Out of the way, #Miku4Smash coming through

tumblr_n0pi0wcwL41shc2q7o1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom